The Official Sony BDP-S550 Owner's Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 3986 Old 10-21-2008, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Here is a link to print out the rebate form for the Discovery BR disc promotion.

http://www.sonystyle.com/wcsstore/So...-in_coupon.pdf

Might be a bit easier for some?

Regards...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3986 Old 10-21-2008, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, last night I get my hands on the S550, connect through the analog outs into my Lexicon pre-pro. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

What's best for me is to just adjust the sub's level. Five seconds to turn a knob eight feet away is just simpler. My Lexicon is pure analog pass-through, so it's in the player for adjustment or at the sub.

PQ is very good and comparable to my PS3. I did a real brief A/B comparison of TrueHD and DTS Master on the Rolling Stones disc and one thing I did notice was the level of the DTS being higher than the Dolby. More on that soon.
post #633 of 3986 Old 10-21-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post

Aside from analog outs and dts hd ma decoding, is there any major differences between the 550 and 350? Do both produce BD and dvd images equally?

Here is the S350 vs. S550 difference,

In addition the BDP-S550 also has:
7.1 channel decoding for DTS-HD MA
7.1 channel analog output
1 GB local storage device included
BD-Live and BD-Java already installed
S550 also adds analogue audio outputs
The audio is better on the S550

Also I compared the S550 to some other brands and one of the most important features, which sold me on the Sony Brand was that it will plays older DVD's both DVD+R / DVD+RW and DVD-R / DVD-RW. I really hate when I put a disc in the play and it says "Can not Read".

Supie
post #634 of 3986 Old 10-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
My system:
Yamaha RX-V1 which has 5.1 analog inputs + M&K speakers without a separate subwoofer connected to the subwoofer output (this system actually has twin subwoofers, connected to the left and right main front channels with the crossovers in the subs directing frequencies to the front speakers). This is an old speaker system - M&K S-1 satellites (4 drivers each) with twin 12" 100watt powered subwoofers. I updated the speakers with a LCR-75 center channel and a pair of LCR-55 surrounds when I got my first dolby digital receiver a number of years ago. The speakers still perform admirably - and I've replaced the 12" drivers in the subs (the foam surrounds in the drivers finally gave out) so they perform like new also. The downside - the subwoofers are strictly speaker connection inputs and outputs - no line level inputs are available.

If I connect the Sony S550 via analog to my Yamaha - and set it as follows:
front left, right & center = large
subwoofer = none
surrounds = small
rear surrounds = none
I am expecting the player to send full frequencies to the front speakers, along with any deep bass from any of the channels + the LFE channel material. I'm also expecting any rear surround material to go to the surround channels.
The Yamaha passes the analog signals it receives via the analog inputs pretty much as received plus amplification to the speaker outputs.

Now the questions:
1. the front/center channel does not have a subwoofer on it - I don't expect much (if any) deep bass material goes to that channel anyway. But might I be better served setting that speaker to small even though it has decent bass reproduction although certainly nowhere near subwoofer level?
2. Will I still have the -10db LFE subwoofer signal problem folks discuss or is this strictly a function of the subwoofer analog output from the S550?

I suppose I could just use the digital optical audio connection instead of the analog, but I was hoping to experiment with lossless audio tracks a bit with this player since my receiver cannot handle hdmi or lossless audio codecs.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #635 of 3986 Old 10-21-2008, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by badata2d View Post

I am in the process of building a new HT and will be replacing all of my equipment (Audio/Video Novice). I am going to buy a blu-ray player as one of my first components because I can not stand buying an older format (DVD) when there is something better. I have been reading/studying through this form and have been waiting for the 550 as my chosen player. But now reading through all the DTS MA discussion I am a bit confused.

If I buy a new receiver which has HDMI and can decode DTS MA - do I need to worry about all the discussion on the 550 decoding and outputting over 7.1 analog ??

I think the answer is no, but would appreciate some confirmation before I order the player. I would think that I could just connect the 550 to the receiver with HDMI and allow the receiver/amp do the decoding.

Thanks in advance...

If you have hdmi on the receiver, you don't have to worry about the the 7.1 analog discussion. on a side note, i think you can save some money by going with 350 instead of 550.(even though i bought the 550).
post #636 of 3986 Old 10-21-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butternutty View Post

I've got a problem with my S550 that has me stumped (granted, it doesn't take much). I have it connected to an older 5:1 Marantz SR19 AVR using the analogue outs from the S550. Sound is coming from all speakers, but the dialogue is missing! I see lips moving onscreen and hear the surround track, but no words. This happens on all kinds of Blueray and regular DVD discs. When I set the center channel to "None" in the S550 setup, then the dialogue comes through; also when I set it to "Mixed" instead of "Direct." Neither of these seems like a good solution. I called Sony customer support, and they were singularly unhelpful. Please, any ideas how to fix this?

I'd suggest checking your speaker wiring, specifically the wiring of your center channel. Also, assuming you are connecting via the analog outs from the S550 double-check the connections and cables there as well from the S550 to your receiver. The majority of movies will have the dialog mixed to send it directly to the center channel. When you set the S550 center to "none" it will mix the center channel audio (dialog) in with the front left/right speakers to create a "phantom" center channel with stereo imaging...it will sound as though it comes from the center.
You troubleshoot by using test tones in your receiver to check the receiver and speaker connections there. Then move on to the connections and cables from the S550. Try swapping some cables around to see if you can isolate the problem.

Erik
post #637 of 3986 Old 10-21-2008, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

If I turn up the sub at the sub that means I'll have to keep a list of sub volume settings for whether I want to watch BD or "anything else."

Grrr, what a pain.

Not an AVR, by the way - wouldn't ever touch one. Surround processor and amps.

Which of course is why I'm having to deal with this in the first place. That and the fact that the Sony can't do channel gain, just attenuation.

The reason you can't apply gain at the player is that would risk exceeding the nominal output.

Analog is more labor intensive but it can be done.

I'd start out placing all the channel controls on the player flat which provides the max signal/noise for the signal. If you don't use bass management in the player i.e. all speakers are Large then you'll need a +10db boost at the sub's gain control. If you use BM in the player you'll need a +15 db boost at the sub's gain control. This is assuming of course that everything is being done correctly in the player. If you don't have enough sub gain for +15db, then you could attenuate all channels BUT the sub channel in the player by 5db and then add 10db at the sub's gain control. This will compromise signal/noise somewhat, but should still be acceptable.

OK, now you have your analog set up properly. Now go back and attenuate the sub channel on the processor/AVR for all the digital inputs by the same amount that you increased the sub's gain control (either 10 or 15 db). That should do it and now you won't have to change the gain on the sub at all.
post #638 of 3986 Old 10-21-2008, 01:42 PM

The Sony 350 has the "NEC MC 10068F1" chip, and the 550 has the "Sigma SMP8634C" chip which gives a better hd picture and upconverts better then the 350.
post #639 of 3986 Old 10-21-2008, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingair View Post

The Sony 350 has the "NEC MC 10068F1" chip, and the 550 has the "Sigma SMP8634C" chip which gives a better hd picture and upconverts better then the 350.

And where did you get this from. I think your info the 550 may be incorrect.
post #640 of 3986 Old 10-21-2008, 01:54 PM

Here is one link.
http://www.blu-ray.com/players/compare.php

Also the specs for the 350 and the 550 are posted on numerous other sites.
post #641 of 3986 Old 10-21-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epontius View Post

I'd suggest checking your speaker wiring, specifically the wiring of your center channel. Also, assuming you are connecting via the analog outs from the S550 double-check the connections and cables there as well from the S550 to your receiver. The majority of movies will have the dialog mixed to send it directly to the center channel. When you set the S550 center to "none" it will mix the center channel audio (dialog) in with the front left/right speakers to create a "phantom" center channel with stereo imaging...it will sound as though it comes from the center.
You troubleshoot by using test tones in your receiver to check the receiver and speaker connections there. Then move on to the connections and cables from the S550. Try swapping some cables around to see if you can isolate the problem.

I triple checked the connections to verify they were all correct. Then as you suggested I swapped cables around, with no luck until I unhooked the S550 and plugged the analogue cables into my old DVD player. I had used an optical cable previously so I had never actually tried this before. And what do you know -- no center channel dialogue, just like on the S550. So that means the problem is in the AVR. But after playing with the settings, I still can't get dialogue. SACD's play fine from the S550 through the direct-in AVR connections, so it isn't that those ports aren't working at all. I'm still stumped.
post #642 of 3986 Old 10-21-2008, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingair View Post

Here is one link.
http://www.blu-ray.com/players/compare.php

Also the specs for the 350 and the 550 are posted on numerous other sites.

I've seen that but believe it may be based on old information. Have a look at this thread. The references that are listed are in Polish but if you can make it through that , it's a very interesting read.
post #643 of 3986 Old 10-21-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post

How are they for 2 channel music listening?

Good. Real real good. Don't know about the Panny, but as for the S550, I just got hol't of mine and hooked it up 2 channel. Listened to some Tom Petty. My greatest single impression is great detail. Every voice, guitar, drum beat are very clearly resolved in the music. If you can do better for $320 delivered, you would have to prove it before I would believe you.
post #644 of 3986 Old 10-21-2008, 02:42 PM

just received the 550. Plugged it into my yamaha vx2600 via hdmi. Plugged the network cable into my buffalo wireless bridge. I only have a 720p projector so down rezed the video. Yamaha showing pcm with 7.1 output picture fabulous 1 happy bunny.
post #645 of 3986 Old 10-21-2008, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

My system:
Yamaha RX-V1 which has 5.1 analog inputs + M&K speakers without a separate subwoofer connected to the subwoofer output (this system actually has twin subwoofers, connected to the left and right main front channels with the crossovers in the subs directing frequencies to the front speakers). This is an old speaker system - M&K S-1 satellites (4 drivers each) with twin 12" 100watt powered subwoofers. I updated the speakers with a LCR-75 center channel and a pair of LCR-55 surrounds when I got my first dolby digital receiver a number of years ago. The speakers still perform admirably - and I've replaced the 12" drivers in the subs (the foam surrounds in the drivers finally gave out) so they perform like new also. The downside - the subwoofers are strictly speaker connection inputs and outputs - no line level inputs are available.

If I connect the Sony S550 via analog to my Yamaha - and set it as follows:
front left, right & center = large
subwoofer = none
surrounds = small
rear surrounds = none
I am expecting the player to send full frequencies to the front speakers, along with any deep bass from any of the channels + the LFE channel material. I'm also expecting any rear surround material to go to the surround channels.
The Yamaha passes the analog signals it receives via the analog inputs pretty much as received plus amplification to the speaker outputs.

Now the questions:
1. the front/center channel does not have a subwoofer on it - I don't expect much (if any) deep bass material goes to that channel anyway. But might I be better served setting that speaker to small even though it has decent bass reproduction although certainly nowhere near subwoofer level?
2. Will I still have the -10db LFE subwoofer signal problem folks discuss or is this strictly a function of the subwoofer analog output from the S550?

I suppose I could just use the digital optical audio connection instead of the analog, but I was hoping to experiment with lossless audio tracks a bit with this player since my receiver cannot handle hdmi or lossless audio codecs.

You won't get LFE re-routing in any of these players. It's just beyond what can be done in the analog domain inside the box. Most likely, there is LF rerouting (sound below the xover point rerouted from Small to Large speakers) but that is speculative on my part based on past experience with the Tosh A1/XA2.

Your setup is similar to mine. The subs are crossed to the mains so you need the LF/LFE rerouted to the mains. I have a fairly labor intensive workaround which I've used in the past. You need generous input capability on your analog passthru. It worked fine for me for several months using an Aragon Soundstage.

Another option would be an outboard analog bass manager like the Outlaw ICBM (hard to find now, I think M&K made one as well).

Even better would be capability in your AVR/processor to perform high quality A/D conversion on the analog input for BM.

Even better would be upgrade to HDMI audio. Sorry, but that's the fact.

Anyway, if you are interested, here's the workaround:

LFE routing workaround

Well, I think I found a way around this.

This routes the LFE to the L and R fronts for those of us with 5.0 configurations using the analog outputs on the A1.

You need:

RCA y adapter cable one male to two female
RCA y adapter cable one female to two male

2 in-line passive low pass filters 80,90 or 100 hz male to female RCA

Split the .1 channel out from the A1 with the male-female y cable and attach both the low pass filters to this. Then use one female-male y cable to couple the .1 output off the filter to the L front, the other off the remaining filter to the R front.

Be sure subwoofer is set to use in the A1 menu and set the other speakers how you like.

The y adapters are 3.99 ea. at RS and low pass filters (Harrision) are available from Crutchfield for 29.99/pair. Total for the fix comes to around 42 dollars not including shipping on the lp filters. I had 50hz filters already to try, but I would think 80/90/100 would work better. Custom car audio shops carry the in-line lowpass filters as well.

Low pass filters: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Z91y1Vy...&cc=01&g=82600

You can't do it without the filters as this effectively sums the L+R channels as HT man said. The other benefit to this is it actually gives you test tones off the sub output on the A1 to help with setting the LFE level.

It is possible to route the LFE to all 5 channels but that would require splitting the LFE 5 ways and 5 low pass filters as well as multiple y-cables.

Thanks to RichB for his help on this.

5.0 the way to go.

I later found the 100hz filter works the best. You will still end up with LFE at -10 db or LF/LFE at -15 db. You can partially offset this by attenuating all the channels in the player BUT the sub channel. This compromises overall signal/noise however the more you attenuate. I eventually found that placing a distribution amp in-line at the sub channel output of the player (before mixing it) supplies added gain to the sub channel. IF you don't have cold feet yet, read on.

Fix found (analog LFE boost if using passthru connection)

I found a fix. It at least makes it workable.

I simply put an A/V distribution amp in-line with the analog LFE output. Supposedly, the specs on the amp say "1:1" meaning 2volts in, 2volts out but for whatever reason it results in about 5db gain on the LFE channel.

This allowed me to raise the other channels on the A1 by 5db to -7db. Basically, it lowers the system noise floor by 5db which is what I was after. Now, Warner Bros. discs (POTO for ex.) can produce satisfying volume with adequate S/N ratio.

I got the amp used from a local B&M but I really don't think there's anything special about the one I have and they are commonly available.

http://www.celabs.net/pm/images/pdf/composite.pdf

As pointed out to me by bobgpsr, it is possible that the added LFE gain obtained via the A/V amp method may vary somewhat depending on your AVR/pre-pro's input impedance load.

That's it.
post #646 of 3986 Old 10-21-2008, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneichko View Post

thanks, i got the lynksys yesterday. works great.

What model?
post #647 of 3986 Old 10-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

You won't get LFE re-routing in any of these players. It's just beyond what can be done in the analog domain inside the box. Most likely, there is LF rerouting (sound below the xover point rerouted from Small to Large speakers) but that is speculative on my part based on past experience with the Tosh A1/XA2.

Your setup is similar to mine. The subs are crossed to the mains so you need the LF/LFE rerouted to the mains. I have a fairly labor intensive workaround which I've used in the past. You need generous input capability on your analog passthru. It worked fine for me for several months using an Aragon Soundstage.

Another option would be an outboard analog bass manager like the Outlaw ICBM (hard to find now, I think M&K made one as well).

Even better would be capability in your AVR/processor to perform high quality A/D conversion on the analog input for BM.

Even better would be upgrade to HDMI audio. Sorry, but that's the fact.

Anyway, if you are interested, here's the workaround:

LFE routing workaround

Well, I think I found a way around this.

This routes the LFE to the L and R fronts for those of us with 5.0 configurations using the analog outputs on the A1.

You need:

RCA y adapter cable one male to two female

2 in-line passive low pass filters 80,90 or 100 hz male to female RCA

Split the .1 channel out from the A1 with the male-female y cable and attach both the low pass filters to this. Then use one female-male y cable to couple the .1 output off the filter to the L front, the other off the remaining filter to the R front.

Be sure subwoofer is set to use in the A1 menu and set the other speakers how you like.

The y adapters are 3.99 ea. at RS and low pass filters (Harrision) are available from Crutchfield for 29.99/pair. Total for the fix comes to around 42 dollars not including shipping on the lp filters. I had 50hz filters already to try, but I would think 80/90/100 would work better. Custom car audio shops carry the in-line lowpass filters as well.

Low pass filters: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Z91y1Vy...&cc=01&g=82600

You can't do it without the filters as this effectively sums the L+R channels as HT man said. The other benefit to this is it actually gives you test tones off the sub output on the A1 to help with setting the LFE level.

It is possible to route the LFE to all 5 channels but that would require splitting the LFE 5 ways and 5 low pass filters as well as multiple y-cables.

Thanks to RichB for his help on this.

5.0 the way to go.

I later found the 100hz filter works the best. You will still end up with LFE at -10 db or LF/LFE at -15 db. You can partially offset this by attenuating all the channels in the player BUT the sub channel. This compromises overall signal/noise however the more you attenuate. I eventually found that placing a distribution amp in-line at the sub channel output of the player (before mixing it) supplies added gain to the sub channel. IF you don't have cold feet yet, read on.

Fix found (analog LFE boost if using passthru connection)

I found a fix. It at least makes it workable.

I simply put an A/V distribution amp in-line with the analog LFE output. Supposedly, the specs on the amp say "1:1" meaning 2volts in, 2volts out but for whatever reason it results in about 5db gain on the LFE channel.

This allowed me to raise the other channels on the A1 by 5db to -7db. Basically, it lowers the system noise floor by 5db which is what I was after. Now, Warner Bros. discs (POTO for ex.) can produce satisfying volume with adequate S/N ratio.

I got the amp used from a local B&M but I really don't think there's anything special about the one I have and they are commonly available.

http://www.celabs.net/pm/images/pdf/composite.pdf

As pointed out to me by bobgpsr, it is possible that the added LFE gain obtained via the A/V amp method may vary somewhat depending on your AVR/pre-pro's input impedance load.

That's it.

Yes - I just got off Sony support - and they said NONE of the channels indicated as "none" or "no" in the S550 setup will get included in any other analog channel ouputs - they just get dropped. That includes the rear surrounds, subwoofer and center channel as well, apparently. I found that pretty disappointing.
Thanks for your detailed workaround for my situation. Before engaging in something that complicated, however, I plan to work a bit more with my Yamaha RX-V1 to see how it handles speaker setups indicated as "none" in the receiver when passing on signals from the analog inputs. Maybe it can deal with the LFE channel properly - and I can just forget about the rear surround channels - if a disc has any. I've never used the analog inputs on the Yamaha - so some experimentation might be in order before giving up on this completely. I also have a powered Cambridge Soundworks Basscube12 sitting in the garage that I have never set up - I could always find someplace to put it and connect it up I guess.
Or - I can just run 5.1 optical from the BD player to the Yamaha and forget about "lossless" entirely, like I do now with my dvd's and hd-dvd's. It sounds pretty terrific as is, to be honest.
Of course there's also always a Yamaha RX-Z7 or RX-Z11 . . the RX-V1 has been awesome, I expect I'd like one of the new Yamaha Z series units very much. They are powerful, large, heavy . . and pricey, however. But then so was the RX-V1. I wonder how I could sneak it into the house . . . joking . . not possible.

post #648 of 3986 Old 10-21-2008, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Of course there's also always a Yamaha RX-Z7 or RX-Z11 . . the RX-V1 has been awesome, I expect I'd like one of the new Yamaha Z series units very much. They are powerful, large, heavy . . and pricey, however. But then so was the RX-V1. I wonder how I could sneak it into the house . . . joking . . not possible.

The RX-V1 looks like a pretty high end rig. It may have the option of redigitizing the analog inputs for you. If this is the case, you should be all set as likely it will re-route the LFE through bass management in the digital domain.

Make no mistake, high quality A/D conversion will still be lossless and will in most cases provide better SQ than analog passthru with poor bass management.
post #649 of 3986 Old 10-21-2008, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes - I just got off Sony support - and they said NONE of the channels indicated as "none" or "no" in the S550 setup will get included in any other analog channel ouputs - they just get dropped. That includes the rear surrounds, subwoofer and center channel as well, apparently. I found that pretty disappointing.
Thanks for your detailed workaround for my situation. Before engaging in something that complicated, however, I plan to work a bit more with my Yamaha RX-V1 to see how it handles speaker setups indicated as "none" in the receiver when passing on signals from the analog inputs. Maybe it can deal with the LFE channel properly - and I can just forget about the rear surround channels - if a disc has any. I've never used the analog inputs on the Yamaha - so some experimentation might be in order before giving up on this completely. I also have a powered Cambridge Soundworks Basscube12 sitting in the garage that I have never set up - I could always find someplace to put it and connect it up I guess.
Or - I can just run 5.1 optical from the BD player to the Yamaha and forget about "lossless" entirely, like I do now with my dvd's and hd-dvd's. It sounds pretty terrific as is, to be honest.

I don't doubt that they told you that, but I do not believe them. Set it up for nothing but right and left channels and see if you get the dialog that was targeted for the center channel. If you do then they are wrong and the center channel is being sent to the front L/R. I think that if you indicate no LFE then it gets sent to the speakers set as large and if you indicate no back surrounds it get sent to the side surrounds. Otherwise it would make no sense.
post #650 of 3986 Old 10-21-2008, 07:12 PM

The good news:
FWIW to those who have asked this question, my Rotel RSP-1068 manages to get a signal off of both the coaxial and the multichannel analog outs on the player all at once. AFAIK, I'm the first person to achieve this feat. This is with the audio priority set to "multichannel analog output."

The bad news:
The coaxial out in this mode basically acts like a stereo (red and white) output into the Rotel. All I can get are the DSP modes, DPL2x and DTS Neo 6. No matter the audio track selected on the disc, it "down-rezzes" it over optical and coax to a basic stereo connection. This kinda stinks. My Toshiba HD-A1 was able to do BOTH at once---multichannel outs and coax with "legitimate" audio codecs.

So, for those who want to use the decoders in their preamp/receiver for decoding regular DVD's and their "classic" audio formats, looks like you'll have to change the audio priority setting each time from "analog multichannel output" to "coax/digital". Doing this brought out all the "true" formats--DD EX, DTS 24/96, etc. in my Rotel.

A minor pain for sure, but at least that menu navigation setup is REALLY nice on these Sony's making it a 10 second ordeal tops to switch the audio priorities.
post #651 of 3986 Old 10-21-2008, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel72 View Post

I don't doubt that they told you that, but I do not believe them. Set it up for nothing but right and left channels and see if you get the dialog that was targeted for the center channel. If you do then they are wrong and the center channel is being sent to the front L/R. I think that if you indicate no LFE then it gets sent to the speakers set as large and if you indicate no back surrounds it get sent to the side surrounds. Otherwise it would make no sense.

I'd suspect the player may be rerouting LF from small speakers to those designated Large but it cannot reroute LFE.
post #652 of 3986 Old 10-21-2008, 11:00 PM

Has a comparison been done with the 550 vs. the ps3 for pq yet?
post #653 of 3986 Old 10-21-2008, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel72 View Post

Yes - what she told me made no sense to me either - but she even took her time to check it out with someone else to be sure because I nicely challenged her on this - and confirmed by someone else apparently also.
I also asked her to pass along my queries to the engineering and development folks along with her answers. I doubt that will result in any further info - but figured it was worth a shot . . .

I also asked about:
1. slow motion and frame advance (NO the 550 does not support it and there are no plans to ever support it)
2. displaying 4:3 content from BD's or DVD's and non-anamorphic dvd video - the player can be set to retain the original aspect ratio and avoid distorting it through stretching on a widescreen TV
3. using the 8gb mini-vault memory stick instead of the included 1 gb - yes it works, the player sees and uses all of it - and BD-Live functionality does benefit from the extra space.

post #654 of 3986 Old 10-22-2008, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

Now go back and attenuate the sub channel on the processor/AVR for all the digital inputs by the same amount that you increased the sub's gain control (either 10 or 15 db). That should do it and now you won't have to change the gain on the sub at all.

What processors have per-input, per-channel gain controls?

You set them once for the processor and main volume handles the rest.

Quote:

Yes - I just got off Sony support - and they said NONE of the channels indicated as "none" or "no" in the S550 setup will get included in any other analog channel ouputs - they just get dropped. That includes the rear surrounds, subwoofer and center channel as well, apparently.

A player that does that is useless to me; I don't have rear surrounds and use a phantom center channel.

Since I like dialogue in my films, that makes the player useless to me.

I'll wait until someone else tries it before I bother opening the box.

I can see it being true for the LFE and rear surround channels, but not for the center channel, and in fact a post above by butternutty indicates that the unit will do a phantom center.
post #655 of 3986 Old 10-22-2008, 04:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkozlow View Post

The bad news:
The coaxial out in this mode basically acts like a stereo (red and white) output into the Rotel. All I can get are the DSP modes, DPL2x and DTS Neo 6. No matter the audio track selected on the disc, it "down-rezzes" it over optical and coax to a basic stereo connection. This kinda stinks. My Toshiba HD-A1 was able to do BOTH at once---multichannel outs and coax with "legitimate" audio codecs.
A minor pain for sure, but at least that menu navigation setup is REALLY nice on these Sony's making it a 10 second ordeal tops to switch the audio priorities.

I found this out over the weekend. I couldn't figure it out at first since my HD-A1 did this very thing. Not sure why the sony can't do it. Being that my receiver is a few years old Denon 3802- I might be better off just letting the Sony do the decoding of DD and DTS because its newer. Still when playing Sd dvds I have more contol over the settings with the Denon.
post #656 of 3986 Old 10-22-2008, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

What processors have per-input, per-channel gain controls?

You set them once for the processor and main volume handles the rest.

Apparently yours doesn't (I assume you tried it already). Most do though. My 10 year old Aragon Soundstage did.
What is your processor?

Even if you only have separate level controls for the digital inputs it should work. You should have this by default assuming your digital inputs have level controls and your analog bypass doesn't.

If your processor truly doesn't have a separate set of channel level controls at least for the digital inputs then for best SQ you will need to manually change the gain control on the sub when you switch from a digital input to analog.
post #657 of 3986 Old 10-22-2008, 06:15 AM

Any comparisons to the old Toshiba XA2 when playing standard DVDs? Thanks.

Stephen
post #658 of 3986 Old 10-22-2008, 07:09 AM

Has any body noticed high black levels on the 550? I have toned it down using the video equalizer. I have no other problems with my HD-DVD player and other sources. I noticed the 550 doesn't provide a choice of 0db or 7.5db (low or high) black level choices.

Thanks!
post #659 of 3986 Old 10-22-2008, 07:34 AM

A quick question - mine is due here on Thursday... If I'm connecting via HDMI to my Sony 810 receiver...... I am assuming I will use the "direct" audio setting - but how does it know to decode the codecs in the player rather than in the receiver.... Is that a handshake between the BD and Receiver or is their another setting that I am missing....? At one time it sound like that if the receiver cand do it - it will - but if it won't, the BD chooses to then decode it first..... Thanks!
post #660 of 3986 Old 10-22-2008, 08:56 AM

Help!
I believe i switched all my cables properly from my old Sony DVD player to the new 550 last night.

I'm getting analog audio, but the my Plasma gives me nothing but grey screen when I put in an old DVD (not blu ray).

I'm using a coaxial cable out of the Sony 550 to my older reciever, then an optical up to my TV. Worked fine with the old DVD player.

Any ideas what i did wrong? I can't get in the 550 menu since i can't see it on screen either.

Thanks
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S550 1080p Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S350 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S350 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page