post #721 of 3986 Old 10-23-2008, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

While that's true, the OP said he found the black to be a little grey; setting RGB to 16-235 will increase the black level even more.

True. Maybe the display DVI input black level simply needs recalibrating or the display has a PC/video toggle for the DVI input which should be set to "video". RGB 16-235 should be the correct setting in the player. I'd also go into "video equalizer settings" and be sure the brightness is at zero.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3986 Old 10-23-2008, 10:04 PM

I wanted to pass some info along to everyone that I found out tonight.

I have had the 550 a couple of days and must say the unit is great, I was in the back of the rack making a dig coax connection to the unit, turned on the unit and wanted to see how the fan noise was......to my surprise the fan was not running. My first thought was "oh man" but then I thought I will see what happens....couple of minutes went by and still no fan. The trailers had gone by and now was at the movie setup and still nothing. I kept it running and begun to wonder if it is a thermal controlled fan ? I called Sony and talked a tech and he said you are correct ! it is thermally controlled ...... the fan does not come on til the unit gets to a pre-set temp and is getting warm. I was a little skeptical at first but decided to pay close attention for the next several minutes. I was about 5-6 minutes into "Pirates" when the fan finally came on and started cooling....stayed on after that as far as I know.

If your in a very cool environment, it may not come on for some time, once you get going into the movie and the processor really starts working, it wont be long.

Wanted to try and make people aware so they did not get the thought of 'its not working....back to store for another"

I also noted prior to calling that there is a note in the troubleshooting area that speaks about a "Fan Error" that will appear on the front panel if the fan is blocked or not working....which was not on..... the main reason I decided to wait and see what happened for a while. They should put a note in there about the fan being thermally controlled, I am sure that there are going to be some people that unfortunately will pack it up and take it back thinking its not working.
post #723 of 3986 Old 10-24-2008, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre223 View Post

I wanted to pass some info along to everyone that I found out tonight.

I have had the 550 a couple of days and must say the unit is great, I was in the back of the rack making a dig coax connection to the unit, turned on the unit and wanted to see how the fan noise was......to my surprise the fan was not running. My first thought was "oh man" but then I thought I will see what happens....couple of minutes went by and still no fan. The trailers had gone by and now was at the movie setup and still nothing. I kept it running and begun to wonder if it is a thermal controlled fan ? I called Sony and talked a tech and he said you are correct ! it is thermally controlled ...... the fan does not come on til the unit gets to a ertain temp and is getting warm. I was a little skeptical at first but decided to pay close attention for the next several minutes. I was about 5-6 minutes into "Pirates" when the fan finally came on and started cooling....stayed on after that as far as I know.

If your in a very cool environment, it may not come on for some time, once you get going into the movie and the processor really starts working, it wont be long.

Wanted to make people aware so they did not panic and get the thought of 'its not working....back to store for another"

I also noted prior to calling that there is a note in the troubleshooting area that speaks about a "Fan Error" that will appear on the front panel if the fan is blocked or not working....which was not on..... the main reason I decided to wait and see what happened for a while. They should put a note in there about the fan being thermally controlled, I am sure that there are going to be some people that unfortunately will pack it up and take it back thinking its not working.

How was the fan noise when it did come on?
post #724 of 3986 Old 10-24-2008, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
cpcat,
thanks for the help. I will be setting the 550 up tonight and will report back. I appreciate it.

ed

post #725 of 3986 Old 10-24-2008, 05:54 AM

Since most TrueHD etc. are 5.1 what happens with 7.1 analog for the surround and surround rear speakers.. Does sound just go to the surround speakers only, surround rear only, or does the same sound go to the surround and surround rear speakers. My rear speakers are much better than my surround speakers so I want to be sure they are being used and there doesn't seem to be a lot of 7.1 material out there
post #726 of 3986 Old 10-24-2008, 05:59 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrooke View Post

Since most TrueHD etc. are 5.1 what happens with 7.1 analog for the surround and surround rear speakers.. Does sound just go to the surround speakers only, surround rear only, or does the same sound go to the surround and surround rear speakers. My rear speakers are much better than my surround speakers so I want to be sure they are being used and there doesn't seem to be a lot of 7.1 material out there

The only products I am aware of that will matrix rear surrounds when the signal is not present are receivers when they decode the bitstream. I have never seen a player over analog or LPCM source do this.
post #727 of 3986 Old 10-24-2008, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Order 550 from Amazon on Monday evening, shipped on Tuesday and received at noon on Thursday. UPS dropped it at my door, packed in original box for all to see. So beware if you live in an area where it might go missing from your front porch.

This replaces one I got on Saturday from Circuit City, saving me a little over $100. All I did was swap out units and the new one works fine. I like the full system reset button in the menu. It allowed me to reset the old unit back to full factory defaults. Someone will get a good as new unit now without my settings to worry about.

I have had this for a week now and really like it. It replaces a Samsung 1200 that I am moving to a secondary location. I think the audio is better, as I use analog inputs and could not get the lossless from the 1200 at all. Picture seems as good to me. I am still tweaking the black levels some but overall I think it is fine. I can not do a side by side comparison, but I suspect the Samsung has an edge in the upconvertind area due to is Reon chip, but it is probably not a deal breaker for me. The player is MUCH faster loading and responding than the Samsung. So far I have had no issues at all with any movie, other than having to do a 10ms audio delay across the board to avoid lip sync. I have that feature in my AVR but never used it with the 1200. It looks like all discs from the 550 require it, so I set it into the player.

I reset the video to MEMORY but zeroed out the values so I use only the display tweaks. I use the player for all upconverting, not the display, so output is set to 1080p. Cosmetically it is very nice. I give it two thumbs up!!!!
post #728 of 3986 Old 10-24-2008, 06:02 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

I had an opportunity to work with one of these recently. This is a very high quality player and what I would buy if you want multi-channel analog outputs.
post #729 of 3986 Old 10-24-2008, 06:13 AM

Hi Cpak and others I appreciate your response to the black level issue I'm experiencing with the 550.
I tried changing the HDMI setting to the RGB-235-16 setting you recommended and I'm playing Pirates of the Carrabean and the black level is definitely high. I notice during the previews before the movie the black levels vary from title or track. Very strange. I do see "pumping" of black between the segments. Once the track or title starts that black level remains constant.
Hopefully it will be fixed with a firmware fix. I don't know if I mentioned but I do have an HD-DVD and Cable Box hooked up using the same wire (unfortunately) and do not have this issue.

As far as calibrating I am a professional videographer/editor I do have my system tweaked.

Thank you for any input!

Jason
post #730 of 3986 Old 10-24-2008, 06:16 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjskywalker View Post

Hi Cpak and others I appreciate your response to the black level issue I'm experiencing with the 550.
I tried changing the HDMI setting to the RGB-235-16 setting you recommended and I'm playing Pirates of the Carrabean and the black level is definitely high. I notice during the previews before the movie the black levels vary from title or track. Very strange. I do see "pumping" of black between the segments. Once the track or title starts that black level remains constant.
Hopefully it will be fixed with a firmware fix. I don't know if I mentioned but I do have an HD-DVD and Cable Box hooked up using the same wire (unfortunately) and do not have this issue.

As far as calibrating I am a professional videographer/editor I do have my system tweaked.

Thank you for any input!

Jason

Jason,

I saw no black level error on the unit I looked at. It is common for film trailer black levels to be wrong on Blu-Ray. I would not judge a players performance based on those.
post #731 of 3986 Old 10-24-2008, 06:25 AM

Now that is funny! After I just posted. I changed the HDMI- out to RGB 0-255 setting and now it looks like the black levels look perfect. I am running an Optoma projector so if anyone is using it and is experiencing problems use this setting. Colors look great too! Weird that the auto setting couldn't fix this. Man is this player awesome! No problems with the outputs either so far! Thanks for reading! I'm gonna watch some movies!

Thanks!

Jason
post #732 of 3986 Old 10-24-2008, 07:06 AM

Thanks Jeff,

I appreciate your input. As you can see the player was not able to decipher using the auto setting on the HDMI out. It's pretty cool there are choices I've never seen on any other device. But when I did select the proper setting everything from the trailers to the main feature looked correct. Maybe Sony needs to firmware update this if it's something the tv/projector and the player need to "communicate" to each other to set the proper setting.

Thanks again!
Jason
post #733 of 3986 Old 10-24-2008, 07:11 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjskywalker View Post

Thanks Jeff,

I appreciate your input. As you can see the player was not able to decipher using the auto setting on the HDMI out. It's pretty cool there are choices I've never seen on any other device. But when I did select the proper setting everything from the trailers to the main feature looked correct. Maybe Sony needs to firmware update this if it's something the tv/projector and the player need to "communicate" to each other to set the proper setting.

Thanks again!
Jason

I did not see a problem with black levels on the Pioneer plasma I was looking at the other day. I would not rule out devices other than the Sony player at this point. My experience with Sony Blu-Ray players in general has been excellent. While others have been more problematic.

I would suggest you look at a test pattern to check your black levels to see if you have them right. Sony has a hidden set on their Blu-Ray disks that are good. There are also some on AVS that you can burn to a DVD that are very good.
post #734 of 3986 Old 10-24-2008, 07:28 AM

I think the problem lies more into the fact that my projector is DVI-D compliant where mostly everything now including the plasma you where looking at has HDMI. I will say that the setting of RGB 235-16 output was consistent with the problems I was seeing with the black levels. I will say everything even the color level and overall brightness of everything I've seen so far has been consistent with everything else I own. I don't have any Sony Blu-rays yet but I will check into the hidden video tests when I get them.

I own also the Toshiba HD-A2 (which also looks awesome and I will say the 550 does so far with it's SD upconversion give a run for it's money) has from the get go looked great with it's HDMI output but I never had a choice with HDMI output.

Glad to be purple finally! I've been waiting for a player with the audio output like this for quite a while I'm sure others were too.

Thanks
Jason
post #735 of 3986 Old 10-24-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

I did not see a problem with black levels on the Pioneer plasma I was looking at the other day. I would not rule out devices other than the Sony player at this point. My experience with Sony Blu-Ray players in general has been excellent. While others have been more problematic.

I would suggest you look at a test pattern to check your black levels to see if you have them right. Sony has a hidden set on their Blu-Ray disks that are good. There are also some on AVS that you can burn to a DVD that are very good.

Hi fellas: I have been playing around with the video settings on this player to see what you all are saying about the picture black levels. I have my

My Default setting: Video HDMI auto

Video setting: Memory with all equalizer settings at 0

YCbCr/RGB HDMI: RGB (16-235) /Auto. When set to either Auto or the 16-235, the video is identical... no difference. However, when I change to 16-255 the picture gets a little darker as with more contrast. For me the Auto is what I will be using.

I have looked on 2 sony Bluerays "Spiderman 3" and "Hellboy", but could not find any hidden set on these discs. Where are these, and how do I activate them. I would like to try it for some comparison.

Thanks
Chapper
post #736 of 3986 Old 10-24-2008, 08:44 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapper View Post

I have looked on 2 sony Bluerays "Spiderman 3" and "Hellboy", but could not find any hidden set on these discs. Where are these, and how do I activate them. I would like to try it for some comparison.

Thanks
Chapper

Press the numbers that correspond to SONY on your telephone on the remote while in the main menu for the movie.
post #737 of 3986 Old 10-24-2008, 08:54 AM

Compared to the auto setting and setting I have now is a completely different look. In auto ( I have no idea what the player set it to) Blacks were high the picture washed out. And with the video equalizer I was able to tone it down, but never got it to look quite right. Once I switched to I believe RGB 0-255 the last setting. (I am using a DVI-D input) Everything looked correct with no video equalizing. I know trailers and such aren't what you should judge picture but when titles or chapters change from trailer to trailer or menu or to main feature the tv/projector should not jump in black level that dramatic. I'm just glad I was able to change it cause if not I would have returned this unit. It was that bad to me. I do have a trained eye some people may have never cared but when we spend the money we are spending on players and movies it should look pristine.

The effect almost made me think of the macrovision problems in the past with VHS and DVDs and older TVs. Maybe the titles and trailers had copy protection and some didn't. Who knows?

Just my two cents I do think this post is awesome to feed off each other with different equipment and such. The audio issues for this player is probably more important to most on this thread but video is ultimately what we need to look as perfect as possible!

Just my two cents!

Jason
post #738 of 3986 Old 10-24-2008, 09:04 AM

I saw the previous response that the Sony will not matrix the surrounds. I have looked at other forums and this issue still has me confused. If I play a TrueHD 5.1 Disc and have 7.1 analog out of my player to a 7.1 analog system what happens to the extra 2 rear channels? If either the surrounds or rear surrounds are inactive can I remedy this with a Y connector. (I guess I could just try it but I thought I would ask).

I figure this is important since there is almost no 7.1 material and it seems they would have set the codec to simply send the same signal to both surrounds
post #739 of 3986 Old 10-24-2008, 09:09 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I saw the previous response that the Sony will not matrix the surrounds. I have looked at other forums and this issue still has me confused. If I play a TrueHD 5.1 Disc and have 7.1 analog out of my player to a 7.1 analog system what happens to the extra 2 rear channels? If either the surrounds or rear surrounds are inactive can I remedy this with a Y connector. (I guess I could just try it but I thought I would ask).

I figure this is important since there is almost no 7.1 material and it seems they would have set the codec to simply send the same signal to both surrounds

The rear channels will not make sound when using the analog outputs with 5.1 material. Splitting the surround output to the rears is an option if you want both to fire. This is not the same thing as matrixed rears though.
post #740 of 3986 Old 10-24-2008, 09:12 AM

umr: Thanks for the code
I tried it and saw the video pattern screens which were quite basic. The THX logo on the DVD's featuring the THX has a much more detailed and user friendly video configuration/calibration menu. This is just so that if anyone can't remember about it.

Thanks again.

Chapper

This is a very informative and entertaining thread. Thanks to all the contributors.
post #741 of 3986 Old 10-24-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:

I was just going to post a question for this....yes, my back surrounds are silent w 5.1...the receiver would matrix the rears prior....this stinks. SO what's the solution? Put some RCA Y-Adapters from the side surrounds to the back? Would need a switch of some kind for 7.1 to go back? ANyone done this.
post #742 of 3986 Old 10-24-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Although the sound does not go to the surr back speakers, the sound from the 5.1 TrueHD is very good. I doubt that it'll matter. Thats how the sound engineers intended it.

Some 5.1 sound encoding sounds much better than some 6.1/ 7.1.... just my 2cents. Or if you want you can always do this:

Use a coaxial/optical to connect to your amp and let the amp do the decoding with the surround back as matrixed. I have done this with some of the Blue rays as I had indicated on a prior post. The sound will be very good, but this is your preference. Try it and lets know what you think.

Thanks,

Chapper
post #743 of 3986 Old 10-24-2008, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

Jason,

I saw no black level error on the unit I looked at. It is common for film trailer black levels to be wrong on Blu-Ray. I would not judge a players performance based on those.

Jeff: A member stated on this thread to not use the standard video setting. He said that memory setting was the only setting that was correct. Does this match your findings?
post #744 of 3986 Old 10-24-2008, 09:21 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post

Jeff: A member stated on this thread to not use the standard video setting. He said that memory setting was the only setting that was correct. Does this match your findings?

Standard worked on the unit I worked with. I am sure Memory can as well.
post #745 of 3986 Old 10-24-2008, 09:40 AM

Liked: 12
Small issue but curious - this unit boots up so fast I'd rather irt load a disc that's already in the drawer when you power on. Anyone see how to enable that?
post #746 of 3986 Old 10-24-2008, 10:02 AM

Does anyone know if the S550 does "forced 24p?" I have an Optoma HD80 projector which looks best with a 24p (1080p 24fps) input, but it must be "forced" by the source (player). I'm currently using a Samsung 1400 which forces 24p, but it probably doesn't have the video or audio quality of the new Sony. Thanks in advance.
post #747 of 3986 Old 10-24-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelm View Post

Does anyone know if the S550 does "forced 24p?" I have an Optoma HD80 projector which looks best with a 24p (1080p 24fps) input, but it must be "forced" by the source (player). I'm currently using a Samsung 1400 which forces 24p, but it probably doesn't have the video or audio quality of the new Sony. Thanks in advance.

Yes it does. See p. 45 of manual
post #748 of 3986 Old 10-24-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapper View Post

Although the sound does not go to the surr back speakers, the sound from the 5.1 TrueHD is very good. I doubt that it'll matter. Thats how the sound engineers intended it.

Some 5.1 sound encoding sounds much better than some 6.1/ 7.1.... just my 2cents. Or if you want you can always do this:

Use a coaxial/optical to connect to your amp and let the amp do the decoding with the surround back as matrixed. I have done this with some of the Blue rays as I had indicated on a prior post. The sound will be very good, but this is your preference. Try it and lets know what you think.

Thanks,

Chapper

Yes, but what if the receiver doesn't decode TRUEHD format. I know this will work w standard dolby digital, but the whole point to take advantage on the internal decoding was so the receiver didn't have to...kinda surprised there isn't a matrix option for the rears on the S550. My surround sides are well...on the sides, so effects from the rear are not present.
post #749 of 3986 Old 10-24-2008, 12:12 PM

Liked: 13
Hello,

How are you guys connecting to your wireless network?

What equipment do I need, how much will it cost and where did you buy it?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Tom
post #750 of 3986 Old 10-24-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelm View Post

Yes, it does. I don't have the manual right in front of me but it's in there.

Belinda was mine 'til the time that I found her.......
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S550 1080p Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S350 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page