Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 3986 Old 10-25-2008, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

It sounds like your projector is expecting PC levels (0-255) over DVI. Look for a toggle on the projector for the DVI input such as "PC/Video" or maybe "standard/extended" or even "limited/full". Video levels will be correct. If your projector only accepts PC levels over DVI then you'll need to use PC levels (0-255) or use component video. The problem is that BD/DVD uses video levels (16-235) and the resultant expansion to PC levels omits peak white data (234-254) and below black data (1-15). This makes for more difficult calibration, may result in loss of high white detail, and can even increase false contouring due to the non-integer level expansion.

You should then set brightness (black level) via a test pattern such as AVIA black bars or THX optimizer drop shadow pattern to be sure you have set black level correctly.

Hi Cpak,

Thanks for letting me know what could be going on with the HDMI thing. Are you basically saying that I have the wrong setting?

Thanks Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 3986 Old 10-25-2008, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by twssas View Post

Have the Sony 550 hooked up to Yamaha 663 with HDMI

I have a 6.1 set up.

Continued playing with this thing.....apparently with the selections I made earlier....the reciever was playing in 7channel stereo....it was recieving pcm, but delivering to the speakers stereo, which probably explains why I was getting the 6th speaker sound. On the 663 remote, I select the amp button, then select the surround decoder (which I negleted to do earlier), and have a distinct difference in sound, and now no 6th speaker....which I was expecting. Same goes for the sound if it is in direct as well. Now I need to figure out how to matrix the sound to the sixth speaker

I think you'll get the answer in the 663 thread. You want something like Pro Logic IIx applied to the 5.1 track to activate the rear speaker, but the 663 doesn't have the processing power to decode DTS-HS MA and apply the processing. However it might be able to apply the processing if it receives PCM decoded by the player. I don't remember the details, but I know it's been discussed in the 663 thread.
post #813 of 3986 Old 10-25-2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFDStang View Post

I am thinking of exchanging the 550 for the 350. To my ears the lossless through the analog on my Denon 3300 is not worth the extra $100. My question is whether the PQ is identical on both units? From this thread it seems they use the same NEC chip.

Anyone do any comparisons?

I had an older TX-SR703 (ie no HDMI, but 7.1 analog connections). I decided to go with the S550 in an attempt to keep my older reciever, but be able to Access the "lossless" audio (TruHD and Master Audio). I have a 7.1 speaker setup and the "lossless" sounded pretty good. However, for me....I was not quite satisfied. I felt that I was missing too much going through analog (ie no equalization applied from Receiver's bass Mgt., too much trouble trying to adjust bass levels in the player...sub never sounded quite right, had to rely on the DAC's in the player....how good are these?). Note: Can't apply the receiver bass managment via analog source with TX-SR703.

I found a great deal on an Onkyo TX-SR805 and decided to go that route instead. To me, it's night and day difference in overall sound quality going bitstream as opposed to analog. I'm able to use the receiver's Burr Brown 1796 dac's, Audyssey equalization settings and other bass mgt., etc...). I know it's not apples to apples to compare the 705 analog to the 805 via bitstream. However, I'm very happy with sound via bitstream.....was never quite satisfied via analog. To me...it was worth a shot to try the S550 via analog....it just didn't quite work for me.
post #814 of 3986 Old 10-25-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:

If you use bass management in the player, you'll need a +15db boost to the sub channel downstream (as opposed to +10db if not using BM). Many AVR's even with separate analog passthru level controls won't be able to provide that much gain. This may require adding some gain at the sub's gain control. In that case, you'll need to recalibrate the digital inputs accordingly by attenuating the sub channel on the digital input in the AVR.

My AVR3803 does provide up to +15 dB for the subwoofer analog input, but +10 works for me and my SVS sub.
post #815 of 3986 Old 10-25-2008, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twssas View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some observations, and perhaps some questions......

Have the Sony 550 hooked up to Yamaha 663 with HDMI

I have a 6.1 set up.

Test Movie: Flight of the Phoenix, dts hd ma, 5.1

550 is selected using Mix, and 663 in Auto.

Reciever displays PCM (which I think means the Sony is doing the decoding), and on TV screen when I hit the BD remote display, it shows 3/2 48hz

But I have sound on my surround speaker (6th speaker) (a good thing i think)

When selecting Direct on 550, 663 still in Auto, I get a DTSMA indication on reciever, still get a 3/2 48z with display button, but now no sound on 6th speaker.

One reason I bought the 550 was for its ability to decode internally (mix I guess), and send the signal to the reciever and matrix it to the 6th speaker. The 663 according to reviews can not recieve bitstream, decode and matrix, but can matrix if decoding is done in machine.

Guess, what I am asking if I leave it in Mix, I apparently have sound in sixth speaker without having to matrix the reciever. Is that the right thing to do.....or am I missing something?

The 663 is fully HDMI 1.3 capable and can completely decode all HD formats. Set the s550 to direct (not mix).

You then need to find a setting on the 663 to apply either Dolby PLIIx or Dolby EX to matrix sound to your rear speaker for 5.1 sources. You may need to set choices to apply post-processing in the AVR to DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD, etc.

Don't worry, there's no charge for the HDMI 1.3 upgrade I just gave you.
post #816 of 3986 Old 10-25-2008, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

but the 663 doesn't have the processing power to decode DTS-HS MA and apply the processing. However it might be able to apply the processing if it receives PCM decoded by the player. I don't remember the details, but I know it's been discussed in the 663 thread.

Unless I'm missing something here, the 663 is fully HDMI 1.3 capable inluding decoding DTS-MA.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...l?CNTID=567571
post #817 of 3986 Old 10-25-2008, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjskywalker View Post

Hi Cpak,

Thanks for letting me know what could be going on with the HDMI thing. Are you basically saying that I have the wrong setting?

Thanks Jason

If your black levels are obviously "off" with (16-235) over DVI then most likely yes.

Older DVI connections can be a little inconsistent to be frank. My older Sony RPTV's DVI input takes video levels properly BUT still clips below black and peak white.

It may be the Epson's DVI can only accept PC levels.

Give me the Epson pj model number (or a link to the OM) and I'll try to find out more for you if I can.
post #818 of 3986 Old 10-25-2008, 09:37 AM

I did a search in this thread but didn't find anything.

I have an older Sony STR-935 Receiver that has 5.1 analog inputs.

I now have the BDP-350 connected via Toslink. Would it benefit me (I know it will for a future AVR upgrade) to go to the BDP-550? Can I still hook up the BDP-550 to my existing 5.1 analog inputs using ONLY the necessary 5.1 outputs and be OK?

Thanks
post #819 of 3986 Old 10-25-2008, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
So of course my S550 set-up has a glitch. no sound. I connected my 550 as instructed, analog out to the analog in on my Outlaw 950 pre/pro. all S550 speakers are at large and sub is on. set audio according to posted S550 guides from other users:
setting: output priority multi channel analog
audio (hdmi): 2ch pcm
BD audio setting: direct
Audio ATT: off
dolby digital: downmix pcm
48khz/96khz pcm: 96khz/24 bit
audio DRC: wide range
downmix: dolby surround
The 950 input set to DVD and analog but no sound from speakers. Hit Display and unit is showing TrueHD playing on Iron Man. So I switch and connect the S550 via coaxial to the 950 and I have full sound. So not sure if it's the 950 connections or the 550 that is the problem. I hope someone can figure this out and help me out. thanks so much.
ed

post #820 of 3986 Old 10-25-2008, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

So of course my S550 set-up has a glitch. no sound. I connected my 550 as instructed, analog out to the analog in on my Outlaw 950 pre/pro. all S550 speakers are at large and sub is on. set audio according to posted S550 guides from other users:
setting: output priority multi channel analog
audio (hdmi): 2ch pcm
BD audio setting: direct
Audio ATT: off
dolby digital: downmix pcm
48khz/96khz pcm: 96khz/24 bit
audio DRC: wide range
downmix: dolby surround
The 950 input set to DVD and analog but no sound from speakers. Hit Display and unit is showing TrueHD playing on Iron Man. So I switch and connect the S550 via coaxial to the 950 and I have full sound. So not sure if it's the 950 connections or the 550 that is the problem. I hope someone can figure this out and help me out. thanks so much.
ed

I don't have the S550 but I have the Outlaw 950...you have configured your 950 to use the multichannel analog input when you select DVD on the remote yet you get no sound from the S550. What happens if you press the "NEXT/6 ch" button on the lower part of the remote? You may have to press the AUD button first on the top then the NEXT/6ch button.
post #821 of 3986 Old 10-25-2008, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 663 is fully HDMI 1.3 capable and can completely decode all HD formats. Set the s550 to direct (not mix).

You then need to find a setting on the 663 to apply either Dolby PLIIx or Dolby EX to matrix sound to your rear speaker for 5.1 sources. You may need to set choices to apply post-processing in the AVR to DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD, etc.

Don't worry, there's no charge for the HDMI 1.3 upgrade I just gave you.

Even though you didn't charge can he get a refund? Your advice is bad because the 663 can't apply post processing to a DTS-MA bit-stream (so no 6.1 from a 5.1 DTSMA source).

What is wrong with mix on this 550? I would assume MIX is the same and the PS3 LPCM output selection and that rocks.
post #822 of 3986 Old 10-25-2008, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KramerTC View Post

I don't have the S550 but I have the Outlaw 950...you have configured your 950 to use the multichannel analog input when you select DVD on the remote yet you get no sound from the S550. What happens if you press the "NEXT/6 ch" button on the lower part of the remote? You may have to press the AUD button first on the top then the NEXT/6ch button.

I have never really used the remote at all since I use the 950 for exclusively for DVD playback. The unit is always set to DVD-coaxial. I would use the source buttons to select an input. So you are suggesting that when I reconfigure the input and set it to DVD-analog I should use the remote to make the switch? I will give it a try and let you know. thanks for the info.

post #823 of 3986 Old 10-25-2008, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU KramerTC. that has solved the problem. and it sounds glorious.

ed

post #824 of 3986 Old 10-25-2008, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend View Post

Even though you didn't charge can he get a refund? Your advice is bad because the 663 can't apply post processing to a DTS-MA bit-stream (so no 6.1 from a 5.1 DTSMA source).

What is wrong with mix on this 550? I would assume MIX is the same and the PS3 LPCM output selection and that rocks.

Well, I said "unless I'm missing something" and obviously I was. That is poor on Yamaha's part. The problem is that the only way to get DTS-MA from the s550 is by using "direct". This then will decode PCM or bitstream depending on the HDMI communication with the AVR. In this case the s550 is bitstreaming. I don't believe there is a setting on the s550 to force LPCM with the "direct" setting. This means that with the V663 their is no way to get DTS-MA matrixed to 7.1.
post #825 of 3986 Old 10-25-2008, 01:06 PM

Anyone getting an audio/video synch issue? I had one yesterday. I had used my S550 several times to watch movies with no such problem.

However, yesterday I put in an audio CD and listened to a few tracks. Then, I put in a movie (Actually, one of the Why We Left Earth discs) and the synch was bad. The video was noticeably ahead of the audio. I put in another title (The Proposition) and the same problem resulted.

Nothing fixed the glitch until I powered off the player for a few minutes, then powered on and put in a movie. Then all was good again!

Either this was a freak one time thing, or perhaps using a CD messes up something until the player is powered off? I'll try to duplicate this later this weekend. BTW, I'm using 7.1 analog outs, but the problem also was noticeable when I switched to HDMI sound. Powering off fixed it.
post #826 of 3986 Old 10-25-2008, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU KramerTC. that has solved the problem. and it sounds glorious.

ed

Glad I could help
post #827 of 3986 Old 10-25-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post

Receiver is almost always better...

If you're in a boat like me though where the player decodes the HD format and sends it to the receiver I dunno how much if any better it would sound over regular Dolby DTS surround sound

Quote:

From everything i've read a high quality receiver has substantially better DAC's. That can make quite a difference in sound.

your receiver is Yamaha rx-v1700
all you need is have the BD player send decoded HD audio in the digital domain (aka multichannel PCM) via HDMI, and you will still be using yamaha's DACs. This can easily be achieved by the S550, or the new Panny BD35 and BD55, but NOT the S350.

Having loseless Dolby THD / DTS-MA decoded into PCM should provide zero bit-by-bit difference than having the receiver decode the bitstreams itself. Whether there is any sonic difference is another controversial topic, and has nothing to do with player DACs.

I hope you have more faith in HD audio over regular Dolby DTS surround sound
post #828 of 3986 Old 10-25-2008, 03:30 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend View Post

Actually, I am using MIX, because of the fact that the 663 cannot decode and matrix at the same time. So letting the 550 decode in MIX, whether it be True HD or DTS, I am getting PCM on the recievers screen, then I go to manual setup in the reciever, select extended surround, EX/ES, and it apparently is successfully forcing sound to the sixth speaker. Works with both True HD, or DTSMA. Someone from another thread told me, the reciever doesn't care about the source, that is why you can use EX/ES or other programs to force the sound. The only issue, is that I have to do it every time I turn it on....so it is a bit of a hassle.....but, hey, I have come a long ways in a couple of days.......couldn't even get sound from TV yesterday....I am making progres......
post #829 of 3986 Old 10-25-2008, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Got my S550 in the other day and was able to hook it up and compare it with the S350. These players are very similar in performance, though I'd give a nod to the 550 as being a bit sharper overall. Setting color from the Memory mode instead of Standard (the 350 does not have a Memory mode that isn't preset), results in a little refinement in the look, all settings with the projector remaining the same.

I think the difference in sharpness I am seeing is noticeable on our 118" screen, but possibly not on something much smaller. I'm moving the 350 down on our 52" Mitsubishi DLP, but at this point I'm too lazy to compare the two players on the smaller screen.

I bitstream the audio on both and notice no difference. CD over HDMI sounds the same on both players. I use the analog multhichannel output on a Marantz universal player along with an Outlaw crossover for CD, SACD, and DVD-Audio. I don't suspect I'll be setting up the Sony for analog to compare (since they won't do SACD and DVD-Audio), but the Marantz is in a different league in audio music clarity compared to the Sony's in HDMI digital. The Sony's do have a nice warm sound with music as used, but bass guitar is much looser.

All in all, the 350 and especially the 550 are big performers at a resonable price.

And yes, I miss the frame advance, but I can live without it.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #830 of 3986 Old 10-25-2008, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unless I'm missing something here, the 663 is fully HDMI 1.3 capable inluding decoding DTS-MA.

The decoding is no problem, but then that particular receiver doesn't have enough DSP power left to apply PLIIx. Hence people with a 6.1 or 7.1 setup may prefer to decode in the player so they can use their rear surround speaker(s) with 5.1 DTS-HD MA tracks.
post #831 of 3986 Old 10-25-2008, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

The decoding is no problem, but then that particular receiver doesn't have enough DSP power left to apply PLIIx. Hence people with a 6.1 or 7.1 setup may prefer to decode in the player so they can use their rear surround speaker(s) with 5.1 DTS-HD MA tracks.

The problem here is that it doesn't appear the s550 has a setting to force LPCM output for HBR audio. The "direct" setting which provides DTS-MA via LPCM to HDMI 1.2 and prior avr's also provides BITSTREAM to HDMI 1.3 avr's.

The "mix" setting only provides "core" DTS.
post #832 of 3986 Old 10-25-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

I'm well aware of the THX and Dolby suggest placement. And neither of them suggest anything close to "surrounds behind and pretty much in the same configuration as the fronts".

It may be a matter of personal preference, but try not to suggest to others that they should also arbitrarily move their speakers around in a departure from the recommended position.

This is my last word on the issue. My original post consisted of some of my opinions and a SUGGESTION for Kbueno to TRY moving his surrounds back behind the listening position to help offset the lack of rear surrounds IF HE WANTS TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF DISCRETE TRUEHD. Your ego has whipped you up into losing track of what I said. My understanding is that he has a 7.1 system, so he would probably not want to use the 5.1 configuration that I use...which I did not say in the first place. There IS leeway in placement of the surrounds further to the rear in either case. My SUGGESTION was in no way arbitrary, your assertion of a "departure from the recommended position" is the arbitrary statement. If I want to let people know what works for me and you disagree, I respect that. Why not address Kbueno's concerns about the lack of rear surrounds instead of attacking my helpful SUGGESTION? I will continue to "suggest to others" with the intent to help despite your distaste for a "departure from"...YOUR OPINION. I'm slightly irritated that you've made me defend this suggestion against unsubstantiated, ARBITRARY refutation that is not based on any motivation other than trying to make yourself seem like an authority.
post #833 of 3986 Old 10-25-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vblyth View Post

Just purchased a S550. Need to connect my HK AVR525 using the 7.1 analog audio. Any suggestions for audio cables? Should I buy a bundled 7.1 audio cable or use 8 separate cables? Any suggestions on where to get good quality audio cables for a good price?
Appreciate any opinions/suggestions.

Thanks

Cobaltcable.com is a very good and reliable company. If you want a step up from that try River Cable. If you want exotica-like cable, like the one I use for my HI FI rig, then Stereovox Cable is it.

Take care

Belinda was mine 'til the time that I found her.......
post #834 of 3986 Old 10-25-2008, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyzz View Post

your receiver is Yamaha rx-v1700
all you need is have the BD player send decoded HD audio in the digital domain (aka multichannel PCM) via HDMI, and you will still be using yamaha's DACs. This can easily be achieved by the S550, or the new Panny BD35 and BD55, but NOT the S350.

Having loseless Dolby THD / DTS-MA decoded into PCM should provide zero bit-by-bit difference than having the receiver decode the bitstreams itself. Whether there is any sonic difference is another controversial topic, and has nothing to do with player DACs.

I hope you have more faith in HD audio over regular Dolby DTS surround sound

Ahh ok thank you for the post.

Do you know does the receiver automatically detect the signal coming in via HDMI and output the sound? I posted in the yamaha V1700 they all said there is nothign special I need to do for the receiver just have the player as you said output the signal PCM via HDMI.
post #835 of 3986 Old 10-25-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:

Do you know does the receiver automatically detect the signal coming in via HDMI and output the sound? I posted in the yamaha V1700 they all said there is nothign special I need to do for the receiver just have the player as you said output the signal PCM via HDMI.

that is correct. just set the BD player to PCM over HDMI and the yamaha should light up as M-PCM.
post #836 of 3986 Old 10-25-2008, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slumberer View Post

This is my last word on the issue.

I'm glad, cause with every post you dig a deeper hole.

Quote:

My original post consisted of some of my opinions and a SUGGESTION for Kbueno to TRY moving his surrounds back behind the listening position to help offset the lack of rear surrounds IF HE WANTS TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF DISCRETE TRUEHD.

And it was a bad suggestion. Moving the side speakers to the rear accomplishes nothing.

Quote:

My understanding is that he has a 7.1 system, so he would probably not want to use the 5.1 configuration that I use...

If he wouldn't want to use your configuration, they why suggest it?

Quote:

Why not address Kbueno's concerns about the lack of rear surrounds

There's no way to address it. Just keep the 7.1 configuration the way it is and listen to 5.1. There are not supposed to be rear surrounds in a 5.1, so there should be no concern.

Quote:

I will continue to "suggest to others" with the intent to help despite your distaste for a "departure from"...YOUR OPINION.

It is not my opinion. It's the recommendation of Dolby and THX. If you really want to help, you should preface your comments with something like "I know this isn't recommended and I know the surrounds in a 5.1 setup are supposed to be to the sides, but I like putting them in the rear to match my fronts. Might want to try it." That way others that read it and don't know the correct placement will know that what you are suggesting is YOUR preference and not what is recommended.

Quote:

I'm slightly irritated that you've made me defend this suggestion against unsubstantiated, ARBITRARY refutation that is not based on any motivation other than trying to make yourself seem like an authority.

It's neither unsubstantiated or arbitrary. Try googling 5.1 placement and you'll see that it is substantiated. And no, I'm far from an authority, the motivation was to make sure that others reading your post didn't think that was the correct way to do it. Lots of people have their 5.1 surrounds behind them. Most don't realize it's incorrect. Perhaps you didn't either or perhaps you decide to do it different anyway. Doesn't matter. You're correct, it's your preference, but try not to suggest setups that are not correct unless you point out that it is your preference. Simple.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #837 of 3986 Old 10-26-2008, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Looks like the 550 suffers from the same "58 minute glitch" on Indy 4 as the BDP-350 and several other players.

Summary: Indy 4 freezes up at about 58:20 or so and the counter jumps ahead by up to 20 seconds at a time until it gets to about 1:00:00 - 1:00:30; playback resumes perfectly at that point.

Either there is a glitch in the firmware or recent BD drives used in the 350, 550 and some other players have really horrible error correction capabilities.

The disc is completely clean, and ironically enough it plays perfectly in my two year-old Sony BDP-S1 with firmware 4.10.
post #838 of 3986 Old 10-26-2008, 05:30 AM

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ygBYTsQ...placement.html

Speaker Placement for Home Theater
Julie Govan Feb 22, 2008
View bio
Whether you're planning a budget home theater system, or working with high-end A/V gear, paying attention to the location and positioning of your speakers usually pays off with a big improvement in sonic performance. If you're in the process of choosing home theater speakers, knowing the basics of speaker placement can help you make the smartest choice for your specific room.

Keep in mind that there are too many variables involved for there to be a single "magic spot" that's always best. Every speaker has different sonic characteristics, every room has different acoustic properties, and everyone's ears hear sound a little differently. So use the tips presented in this article as guidelines, but when it comes time to actually set up your speakers, let your own ears be the final judge. And remember to read the owner's manual that came with your speakers manufacturers sometimes offer model-specific recommendations for ideal placement.

Your center channel speaker
Your center channel speaker should be the first speaker you place in your home theater room. Because your center channel speaker's job is to anchor dialogue and other on-screen sounds to the screen, its position depends upon where you put your TV.

Place your center channel directly above or below your TV centered, if possible.
If it's atop your TV, make sure the speaker's front edge is precisely aligned with the front edge of your TV screen. This reduces distortion caused by sound reflecting and diffracting off the TV's cabinet.
If possible, the height of the center channel speaker's tweeter should be close to the height of your front speakers' tweeters ideally, within about 24".
Your center channel speaker should be precisely the same distance from your listening position as your front left and right speakers. (See below for details on front left and right speaker placement.)
Your front left and right speakers
Your front speakers pull double duty: along with handling movie soundtracks, they're responsible for reproducing all of the sound when you listen to stereo music.

Try to place your left front, center channel, and right front speakers equidistant from where you sit.

Position your front left and right speakers in front, and at equidistant points to the left and right, of your primary listening spot. Together with your center channel speaker, they should form a slight arc, so that all three speakers are exactly the same distance from where you sit, with the tweeters from all three front speakers aimed at your ears. We recommend measuring the distances precisely just an inch or two can actually make a noticeable difference in the way your system sounds.

Place your front left and right speakers so the tweeters are at your ear level when you're seated.
If you'd like a more precise guideline to follow, your front speakers should be at a 22°-30° angle with respect to your television. In other words, imagine you were to draw two lines one from your listening position to your television, and one from your listening position to your right speaker. The two lines should create an angle somewhere between 22 and 30 degrees. The same holds true for the left speaker. (See illustration above.)
For the best possible sound, the tweeters should be at ear level when you're seated. Most floor-standing speakers are designed with this in mind; smaller speakers can be positioned on stands or mounted on the wall to achieve the proper height.
Make sure there are no solid objects (like furniture) blocking the pathway of the sound traveling to your listening location.
Your surround speakers
Your home theater's surround speakers are there to envelop you in a cloud of atmospheric sound and special effects, so you feel like you're actually in the middle of the action. We've offered some recommendations to help you achieve this effect, but it's important to note that surround speaker placement is one area where positioning may vary widely. An approach that works well for a friend or neighbor may not even be possible for you, given the shape and layout of your home theater room. Feel free to experiment what matters most is how it sounds to you. And get room-friendly tips for running cable to your surrounds in our article on connecting home theater speakers.

Ideally, your primary pair of surround speakers should be placed to the left and right of your listening position either in line with it, or just behind it. They should form a 90°-110° angle with respect to your television. (If you were to draw two lines one from your listening position to your TV, and one from your listening position to one of your surround speakers the lines should cut out an angle somewhere between 90 and 110 degrees.)
If you have a 6.1-channel or 7.1-channel system with more than two surround speakers, or if side placement isn't available for your surrounds in a standard 5.1-channel setup, consider placement behind your listening position, facing the front of the room.
Surround speakers should be placed high enough so that the drivers do not fire directly at your ears when you're sitting down one rule of thumb is to place them at ear level while standing. (If your surround speakers fire directly at your ears, they can overpower your front speakers.)
If your surrounds are mounted on the side walls on adjustable brackets, experiment with aiming them. You may get good results from pointing them at the ceiling or toward the rear corners of the room.
If no side or rear walls are available for mounting your speakers, try placing a pair of traditional bookshelf speakers on speaker stands, slightly behind and to the sides of your listening position. Avoid aiming them directly at your listening position. You can also try in-ceiling speakers.
Surround speaker placement which is ideal for home theater is not necessarily perfect for multichannel music listening, where a precisely focused rear soundstage is best. If both types of listening are important to you, then you can position your surround speakers for a compromise between the two.
If you mount the rear speakers on the wall, try to mount them to wall studs to prevent them from falling and damaging your speakers, drywall, and possibly furniture. Stud finders are available at most hardware stores. If mounting to studs isn't possible, wall anchors should be used to make a solid connection to your drywall. Most speaker brackets include wall anchors.

5.1-channel setup with the surround speakers wall-mounted to the sides of the listening position.

6.1-channel setup with the surrounds wall-mounted to the sides of the listening position, and one back surround wall-mounted behind the listening position.

7.1-channel setup with the surrounds wall-mounted to the sides of the listening position, and two back surrounds wall-mounted behind the listening position.

This dipole/bipole speaker from Polk is specially designed with home theater surround sound in mind.
Some manufacturers offer dipole/bipole surround speakers (sometimes referred to as "Solid/Diffuse" speakers) which are equipped with a switch for selecting between different modes of operation. Such speakers are often recommended as ideal for movie surround use, because of their ability to produce a diffuse soundfield, and their flexibility in a variety of placements. However, they are not as effective for multichannel music. Because they are most often seen in high-end, movie-focused home theater setups, our recommendations here focus on more commonly seen front-firing speakers and their use as surrounds.

Your subwoofer
A powered subwoofer delivers crucial impact in a home theater system, but is one of the least demanding speakers to position. Since low bass frequencies are omnidirectional, you can usually place your subwoofer just about anywhere in your home theater room, with good results.

Placing your subwoofer near a wall will generally result in more bass, and placement near a corner where three room boundaries come together will get you even more. Keep in mind that even though the bass increases as you place the sub near a wall or corner, the quality of bass may be slightly "boomier" and less controlled. Aim for a spot where you get a compromise between quality and quantity of bass.
One cool technique for placing for your subwoofer is to put your sub in your listening spot, play some music, move around the room, and listen. You'll probably notice that the bass sounds a little bit different as you move around from location to location within the room where it sounds the best may be where you want to put your subwoofer.
Many powered subwoofers are equipped with a phase control usually a 2-position switch. Choose the setting that produces the most bass while all your speakers are playing.
Your room
One thing to remember when setting up your speakers is that your room plays a key role in how your system will sound. Your room's shape, layout, and where the speakers are placed in the room are all factors that will affect a home theater system's performance.

Placing your front speakers next to a wall will slightly increase their bass output. This can improve the sound of smaller, bass-shy satellite speakers, but can muddy the sound of floor-standing speakers. Conversely, bringing speakers out from the wall may lessen their bass response but improve clarity.
A room with too many reflective surfaces, such as windows and tile, can add harshness to the sound or make it seem too bright. Adding carpets or drapes can help your system sound much more natural.
For more information on how your room can affect your system's sound and ways to find and fix trouble spots, check out our article on room acoustics.

This article may just let some of us be more enlightened. The site has some very good illustrations, too.

Chapper
post #839 of 3986 Old 10-26-2008, 05:31 AM

Does anyone have the definitive audio settings for this unit using HDMI 1.3 to True HD/ DTS Master Audio capable receiver? Thanks
post #840 of 3986 Old 10-26-2008, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The problem here is that it doesn't appear the s550 has a setting to force LPCM output for HBR audio. The "direct" setting which provides DTS-MA via LPCM to HDMI 1.2 and prior avr's also provides BITSTREAM to HDMI 1.3 avr's.

Slim chance, but maybe a firmware update from Sony will allow you to force decoded PCM output if you want it. There are some other HDMI 1.3 receivers out there with DTS-HD MA decoding bugs, so that's another reason to want a player to send PCM.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S550 1080p Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S350 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S350 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page