post #61 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post

I think there are a few unanswered questions hanging over this unit before absolute conclusions can be made.

I have to re-think getting this player. I heard from another forum that this unit does NOT do frame advance or at least slow play. I use this feature all the time with the BD-P1400. You press "pause" then "FF" to advance 1/8th, 1/4th, or 1/2 the time. Other players will advance one frame at a time. Can someone who ownes one confirm this?

lujan
673 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post

Has there been physical confirmation that the Sigma chipset is even used in this use? (I know other web-sites have reported this, but I have not seen official confirmation or photos.)

If so, is it the the original Sigma 8634 SoC (as used in the BDP-S500) or the newer 8634 rev C that can decode DTS-MA?

I think there are a few unanswered questions hanging over this unit before absolute conclusions can be made.

Cheers!

I went to Maxiuca's thread at Bluray.com and the rep from Sigma did say that the 8634 did not have enough DSP power to decode DTSMA 7.1 but that the new 8644 did. Now the rep didn't specify rev. c when referencing the 8634 but you think he would have mentioned it. Now that I think of it my 1400 has the 8634 rev. c and it will not decode MA internally even with a firmware update. So hopefully Sony provided a different way to decode DTSMA 7.1 because it doesn't look like the 8634 can do it. This is all dependent on the Sigma rep(Keith Jack) providing accurate info. Unfortunately the 8644 will not be out until December.
post #63 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 12:24 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaresrc333 View Post

An interesting question to me is whether or not you can disable BD-live downloading. Looking at the manual, it appears not.

With the IronMan experience this past week, it would be nice to be able to shut off BD-Live. can someone test to see whether or not this is possible??

Thanks

Yes it is possible to turn off BD-Live. BTW - Iron Man asks if you want to download before it starts - you can bypass it on this disk. Transformers does not ask.
post #64 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

I have to re-think getting this player. I heard from another forum that this unit does NOT do frame advance or at least slow play. I use this feature all the time with the BD-P1400. You press "pause" then "FF" to advance 1/8th, 1/4th, or 1/2 the time. Other players will advance one frame at a time. Can someone who ownes one confirm this?

Same here. I can't freaking believe that they have taken this out. I mean players have been doing this for years!
I also use this feature. No reason to not have this.

JerryT
post #65 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post

I went to Maxiuca's thread at Bluray.com and the rep from Sigma did say that the 8634 did not have enough DSP power to decode DTSMA 7.1 but that the new 8644 did. Now the rep didn't specify rev. c when referencing the 8634 but you think he would have mentioned it. Now that I think of it my 1400 has the 8634 rev. c and it will not decode MA internally even with a firmware update. So hopefully Sony provided a different way to decode DTSMA 7.1 because it doesn't look like the 8634 can do it. This is all dependent on the Sigma rep(Keith Jack) providing accurate info. Unfortunately the 8644 will not be out until December.

Thanks for the info!

I think the question remains: does this unit even use the Sigma chipset in the first place? The only reference I have seen was also on bluray.com, but they also listed the BDP-S350 as using Sigma before it was corrected.
post #66 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 01:21 PM

I've got an Onkyo TX-SR703 with 7.1 analog inputs that I'm perfectly happy with. I'd prefer not to have to upgrade it just yet. So, I’m patiently waiting for confirmation on whether the S550 does in fact internally decode DTS-MA and outputs this to analog 7.1ch outputs. After having read many of the posts in this forum relating to this topic, I'm betting the answer is going to be "no". On the plus side however, my understanding is the player does internally decode Dolby TruHD and outputs this via analog.

My question is: How important is it really for people in my situation (ie Receiver with no HDMI....but with 7.1 analog inputs) to have a player that internally decodes and outputs 7.1 via analog "both" Dolby TruHD and DTS-MA? It seems to me...on the surface anyway...that having a player that will internally decode/output 7.1 via analog for only Dolby TruHD might be sufficient...albeit not ideal! At least I'd have one option for getting some version of "HD" audio. Are there many blu-ray titles that "only" have an option for DTS-MA (and not Dolby TruHD)? If so, I guess having a player that "also" internally decodes/outputs via analog DTS-MA would be crucial for people in my situation. If not, seems like the S550 might be an “okay” option for people in my situation.
post #67 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryT View Post

Same here. I can't freaking believe that they have taken this out. I mean players have been doing this for years!
I also use this feature. No reason to not have this.

Only reason I can think of was that the frame advance did act kind of funny sometimes on my S300, where if you hit frame advance several times in succession it would lock the player up tight. Seems like the better solution would have been to fix the bug rather than removing the ability.
Another annoying thing is that they have changed the position of the Top Menu and Pop Up menu buttons on the remote. Whereas on the S300 the top menu was in the upper right and the popup menu was in the lower right...now they have moved the top menu to the upper left, popup to the upper right and added the "options" button to the lower right and the new home button. The options button, will slide out a drawer on the right side of the screen giving you options of changing AV settings and access top menu, pop up menu, start over and such.

Erik
post #68 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstofel View Post

I've got an Onkyo TX-SR703 with 7.1 analog inputs that I'm perfectly happy with. I'd prefer not to have to upgrade it just yet. So, I'm patiently waiting for confirmation on whether the S550 does in fact internally decode DTS-MA and outputs this to analog 7.1ch outputs. After having read many of the posts in this forum relating to this topic, I'm betting the answer is going to be "no". On the plus side however, my understanding is the player does internally decode Dolby TruHD and outputs this via analog.

My question is: How important is it really for people in my situation (ie Receiver with no HDMI....but with 7.1 analog inputs) to have a player that internally decodes and outputs 7.1 via analog "both" Dolby TruHD and DTS-MA? It seems to me...on the surface anyway...that having a player that will internally decode/output 7.1 via analog for only Dolby TruHD might be sufficient...albeit not ideal! At least I'd have one option for getting some version of "HD" audio. Are there many blu-ray titles that "only" have an option for DTS-MA (and not Dolby TruHD)? If so, I guess having a player that "also" internally decodes/outputs via analog DTS-MA would be crucial for people in my situation. If not, seems like the S550 might be an okay option for people in my situation.

Supposedly the Panasonic 55 will be the godsend Blu Ray player that we are looking for and it comes out 10/26/08
post #69 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 01:33 PM

Well, Receiving S550 today and have Rambo in hand. Hooking up to my old Denon via analog @ 7.1
In the chart in the manual it clearly states 7.1 for DTS MA out on the analogs...so ??
For me, I'm into having all the different audio codecs available. I can't comment on differences between DTS-MA and TruHD since this is my first blu-ray. However, with standard DVDs, there was a big difference between the Dolby Digital and DTS tracks, imho.
post #70 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbueno View Post

In the chart in the manual it clearly states 7.1 for DTS MA out on the analogs...so ??

It also clearly states DTS MA 7.1 LPCM over HDMI as well...but that wasn't my experience with Rambo. I only got 7.1 by bitstreaming...otherwise it's 5.1. Same for Golden Compass.

Erik
post #71 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentSP View Post

Supposedly the Panasonic 55 will be the godsend Blu Ray player that we are looking for and it comes out 10/26/08

I was set on the Panny until the $150 Sony credit deal came out. My 550 will come on Fri. But if the DTSMA over analog doesn't end up working then I will go with the 55. One thing I have found curious is that the Sony is already released but we have no professional reviews. The Panny will be released at the end of Oct and there are 3 professional reviews.
post #72 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epontius View Post

It also clearly states DTS MA 7.1 LPCM over HDMI as well...but that wasn't my experience with Rambo. I only got 7.1 by bitstreaming...otherwise it's 5.1. Same for Golden Compass.

I wonder if it's something with the disc, or if it can be corrected with a firmware update? And you've replicated the issue w/2 movies...not good. A call to Sony would probably be unhelpful.
post #73 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:

I wonder if it's something with the disc, or if it can be corrected with a firmware update? And you've replicated the issue w/2 movies...not good. A call to Sony would probably be unhelpful.

I have a few BD Discs...probably 50 or so... so if there is a disc I should try let me know.

Erik
post #74 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:

I have a few BD Discs...probably 50 or so... so if there is a disc I should try let me know.

Wish I could help....you'd think a Sony player would support a Sony receiver!
post #75 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I've got an Onkyo TX-SR703 with 7.1 analog inputs that I'm perfectly happy with. I'd prefer not to have to upgrade it just yet. So, I'm patiently waiting for confirmation on whether the S550 does in fact internally decode DTS-MA and outputs this to analog 7.1ch outputs. After having read many of the posts in this forum relating to this topic, I'm betting the answer is going to be "no". On the plus side however, my understanding is the player does internally decode Dolby TruHD and outputs this via analog.

My question is: How important is it really for people in my situation (ie Receiver with no HDMI....but with 7.1 analog inputs) to have a player that internally decodes and outputs 7.1 via analog "both" Dolby TruHD and DTS-MA? It seems to me...on the surface anyway...that having a player that will internally decode/output 7.1 via analog for only Dolby TruHD might be sufficient...albeit not ideal! At least I'd have one option for getting some version of "HD" audio. Are there many blu-ray titles that "only" have an option for DTS-MA (and not Dolby TruHD)? If so, I guess having a player that "also" internally decodes/outputs via analog DTS-MA would be crucial for people in my situation. If not, seems like the S550 might be an okay option for people in my situation.

Since you are wanting to keep your current receiver which I don't blame you it might be best to lookin into the panasonic bd55 that will be out at the end of the month. It states it will decode internally dts ma to pcm and send it out via analog outs. Same price as the 550 and will be out at the end of the month. There is a professional review on the soundandvision magazine website and cnet also. Looking at the posts and the manual they put enough astericks to make it look like it will internally decode but then your receiver needs to be compliant also. Alot of questions. The Samsung 5000 was suppossed to internally decode DST MA also via analog outs and as of today it still will not.
post #76 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:

I've got an Onkyo TX-SR703 with 7.1 analog inputs that I'm perfectly happy with. I'd prefer not to have to upgrade it just yet. So, I’m patiently waiting for confirmation on whether the S550 does in fact internally decode DTS-MA and outputs this to analog 7.1ch outputs. After having read many of the posts in this forum relating to this topic, I'm betting the answer is going to be "no". On the plus side however, my understanding is the player does internally decode Dolby TruHD and outputs this via analog.

My question is: How important is it really for people in my situation (ie Receiver with no HDMI....but with 7.1 analog inputs) to have a player that internally decodes and outputs 7.1 via analog "both" Dolby TruHD and DTS-MA? It seems to me...on the surface anyway...that having a player that will internally decode/output 7.1 via analog for only Dolby TruHD might be sufficient...albeit not ideal! At least I'd have one option for getting some version of "HD" audio. Are there many blu-ray titles that "only" have an option for DTS-MA (and not Dolby TruHD)? If so, I guess having a player that "also" internally decodes/outputs via analog DTS-MA would be crucial for people in my situation. If not, seems like the S550 might be an “okay” option for people in my situation.

It's fairly important because most movies will have one or the other. i first went thru all of this with the Samsung BD-5000 which claimed it would decode everything but started out decoding nothing and the only HD audio was PCM. they finally added True-HD but still no DTS-MA, but, I had moved on to the Denon 3800BDCI which really does decode everyhting and outputs it to analog 7.1. Hopefully though you won't have to spend that much just to get this capability...
post #77 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 02:26 PM

I'm on a chat with Sony support asking why I can't get 7.1 LPCM over HDMI from DTS-HD MA 7.1. There are a lot of long pauses and "checking" going on.
So far they have suggested that I press the A.F.D. button on my receiver repeatedly and to run the test tone to make sure my speakers are hooked up.
This isn't looking promising.

Erik
post #78 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggisbingo View Post

It's fairly important because most movies will have one or the other. i first went thru all of this with the Samsung BD-5000 which claimed it would decode everything but started out decoding nothing and the only HD audio was PCM. they finally added True-HD but still no DTS-MA, but, I had moved on to the Denon 3800BDCI which really does decode everyhting and outputs it to analog 7.1. Hopefully though you won't have to spend that much just to get this capability...

That's a great point (ie your experience with the BD-5000). I guess if Blu-Ray titles do not typically come with both Dolby TruHD and DTS-MA then it really is important for people in my situation to buy a player that internally decodes both. Thanks
post #79 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:

Well, Receiving S550 today and have Rambo in hand. Hooking up to my old Denon via analog @ 7.1
For me, I'm into having all the different audio codecs available.

Soooo...........hows it go there? Are we hearing DTS-MA through the 7.1 outputs yet or are you just saying you got the S550 today but have yet to try it out yet and will report?
post #80 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't know which one to buy , the Sony or the panasonic?

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
post #81 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 02:48 PM

S550 Analog out. All speakers are working. 7.1

Settings: Output Priority Multi Channel Analog
Audio (hdmi) : 2ch pcm
BD Audio setting : direct
Audio ATT: off
Dolby Digital : Downmix PCM
DTS : Downmix PCM
48khz/96khz PCM : 96khz/24 bit
Audio DRC: wide range
Downmix: Dolby Surround

With Rambo you will get 7.1 ENGLISH DTS-HD MASTER AUDIO 3/4.1 48khz
All speakers working.
post #82 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingair View Post

All speakers working.

Just curious. When you hit the "display" button on the S550 remote, what does the audio format show?

Erik
post #83 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:

I just checked again to make sure - I am HDMI connected and have the BD output set to direct. My receiver is HDMI 1.2 so the 550 should be doing the decoding. When I play Golden Compass, my receiver clearly indicates that it is receiving a 7.1 channel input signal. Based on what I am seeing, I think DTS-MA 7.1 audio track is being decoded into PCM 7.1.
post #84 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:

s550 analog out. All speakers are working. 7.1

settings: Output priority multi channel analog
audio (hdmi) : 2ch pcm
bd audio setting : Direct
audio att: Off
dolby digital : Downmix pcm
dts : Downmix pcm
48khz/96khz pcm : 96khz/24 bit
audio drc: Wide range
downmix: Dolby surround

with rambo you will get 7.1 english dts-hd master audio 3/4.1 48khz
all speakers working.

Ok this is good news
post #85 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 03:07 PM

Ok all S550 owners go out at once and copy these settings and try it again

All speakers working.
post #86 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 03:16 PM

BD Audio setting must be set to direct! When set to mix, rear speakers are not active, so mix seems to mix 7.1 soundtracks down to 5.1 (I thought this would have something to do with secondary audio content, but it seems to affect haw DTS MA is handled). Set to direct, I get all speakers working. Left surround and left rear channels sound different. Dark City says 7.1 ENGLISH DTS-HD MASTER AUDIO 3/4.1 48khz onscreen. I am convinced BrentSP is correct and the BDP-S550 decodes master audio over analog!
post #87 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:

All speakers working.

Wow...did you cut and paste my info from Blu Ray.com ???

Look...there's one of them now !
Johnny STOP IT !
(Night of the Living Dead)
post #88 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 03:19 PM

Sorry, I should have credited kingair with the settings suggestions.
post #89 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrlane View Post

BD Audio setting must be set to direct! When set to mix, rear speakers are not active, so mix seems to mix 7.1 soundtracks down to 5.1 (I thought this would have something to do with secondary audio content, but it seems to affect haw DTS MA is handled). Set to direct, I get all speakers working. Left surround and left rear channels sound different. Dark City says 7.1 ENGLISH DTS-HD MASTER AUDIO 3/4.1 48khz onscreen. I am convinced BrentSP is correct and the BDP-S550 decodes master audio over analog!

Whoooooo hooooooooo so Sony wasn't deceiving us after all?!?!?!
post #90 of 3986 Old 10-09-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:

Only reason I can think of was that the frame advance did act kind of funny sometimes on my S300, where if you hit frame advance several times in succession it would lock the player up tight. Seems like the better solution would have been to fix the bug rather than removing the ability.

Yeah, they should fix it for sure. Seems like the Panny BD-55 will have the ability to do it. Looks like I will be taking a closer look at that unit again.

JerryT
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S550 1080p Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S350 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S350 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page