Forum Jump: 

Old 11-16-2008, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post

certain batches of the harmony ones had problems learning in general. you shouldn't have to learn any commands though, as the profiles should be fixed at this point. if not, go ahead and add the DMP-BD30 (no K at the end) and you should get the best of the profiles from the 30/50/35/55...all their remote codes are the same.

despite owning the 55, I'm using the profile for the 30 and it's working very well

Thanks - reprogrammed using the 30, and its much better.
Appreciate the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Monoprice has several switches? Which model are you referring to?

This is the one I ordered and does work with the BD55: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

My 5x1 did not work.

Rudy81
Old 11-16-2008, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Could anyone please check the "setup" button on the remote to see if it's height is less than the nearby buttons?
On my remote the setup button is almost at the level of the remote top cover. I am not sure if it got pressed and is sitting there or is it the way it is.
Not a big deal but just wanted to make sure my remote (the setup button) is not sunk.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post

Could anyone please check the "setup" button on the remote to see if it's height is less than the nearby buttons?
On my remote the setup button is almost at the level of the remote top cover. I am not sure if it got pressed and is sitting there or is it the way it is.
Not a big deal but just wanted to make sure my remote (the setup button) is not sunk.

Mine is just like yours-barely above flush with the remote cover.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
Old 11-16-2008, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnies View Post

Thanks for the info that is good to know. What I think I am going to do is assign one input to BD and one input for DVD. That way even my wife will understand

Hi Arnie,

So you plan on connecting 5.1 analog audio outputs from the Panasonic to one set of 5.1 analog inputs on the MC-4 and assign it to say the DVD1 input? And then connect SPDIF from the Panasonic digital audio output to one of the SPDIF inputs on the MC-4 and assign it to say the DVD2 input? Then if the INPUT SELECT parameter is set to AUTO, the Lexicon would automatically select the active input on each input. In that way all you would have to do is select DVD1 for Blu-ray and DVD2 for DVD without having to enter the menu setup?

That's a great solution if you have a 5.1 configuration. However, for those of us who have 7.1 configurations and want to use LOGIC7 to create matrixed surround back channels, versus duplicated side surround channels, it requires a means of switching from analog to digital audio when listening to Blu-ray discs.

My original plans were to use analog audio when listening to Blu-ray music discs and digital audio when listening to all other Blu-ray discs. However, so far I really haven't been able to perceive an improvement when switching from lossy to lossless. Since less than 10% of my time is devoted to critcally listening to music, right now my Panasonic is set for digital SPDIF. I'll periodically continue to do listening comparisons between lossy and lossless, but right now I'm inclined to simply set it to digital SPDIF and forget it (or of course upgrade to a new prepro) .

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinw View Post

I use the 880 to control everything, TV, Sat receiver, HD-DVD, Blu-ray, and my AV receiver

I agree. I love my 880!
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post

Mine is just like yours-barely above flush with the remote cover.

Thanks. So it seems that's how it is. Good to know.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eunos View Post

Thanks - reprogrammed using the 30, and its much better.
Appreciate the help!

Are you using a Harmony One or 880 when you reprogrammed it to BD30?
Old 11-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nin1974 View Post

Are you using a Harmony One or 880 when you reprogrammed it to BD30?

doesn't matter, they all use the same database. I'm using my One with the BD30 profile to control the BD55.

I'm also using the BD30 profile on my beta harmony remote to control the BD55 and it works fine.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandito View Post

all harmony remotes use the same software to my knowledge and it works perfectly on vista, including vista64.

logitech is a pretty good company, to not support vista would just be insane.

you would be surprised....when vista came out, Logitech was actually quite slow to have a vista compatible version...until then you had to run the 'compatibility mode'
Old 11-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy81 View Post

This is the one I ordered and does work with the BD55: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

My 5x1 did not work.

Glad it worked for you. Didn't work for me and I had to return it.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Old 11-16-2008, 11:25 AM

I just received the bd55. I want to continue to use my onkyo dvd player and run the panny and the onkyo through my onkyo 705. Can I do this & what would the best settings be? Thanks!
Old 11-16-2008, 12:04 PM

I have Verizon FIOS. My XBOX 360 is connected wirelessly to the internet via an adapter sold by microsoft. How do you do it with the Panasonic BD 35?

Toxic Sludge Is Good For You
Old 11-16-2008, 01:12 PM

Ok, I have a new BD55 and I have a question regarding the analog 5.1 inputs. My Kenwood VR7080 THX receiver states the following in the manual as options for ANALOG SURROUND PLAYBACK:

When the analog signal or the digital signal (except for
DOLBY DIGITAL or DTS signal) is input :
1 PLII MOVIE : PRO LOGIC II surround MOVIE mode.
(The PRO LOGIC indicator lights up.)
2 PLII MUSIC : PRO LOGIC II surround MUSIC mode.
3 PRO LOGIC : PRO LOGIC II surround PRO LOGIC mode.
4 NEO:CINEMA : NEO:6 surround.
(The NEO:6 indicator lights up.)
5 NEO:MUSIC : NEO:6 surround.
(The NEO:6 indicator lights up.)
6 CSII CINEMA : CS 6.1 surround.
(The CS II indicator lights up.)
7 CSII MUSIC : CS 6.1 surround.
8 CSII MONO : CS 6.1 surround.
9 STEREO : Normal stereo playback.
(The STEREO indicator lights up.)

So which one do I use for the lossless playback of HD or MA? Also the THX indicator can be turned on or off during any of these modes. Should I stick with ProLogic II Movie? Seems strange that this receiver even tackles these analog LISTEN MODES.

boylan13 any recommendations? Anyone?
Old 11-16-2008, 01:15 PM

Here is something else interesting I found in the receivers manual.

96kHz LPCM playback
The receiver is compatible with the 96kHz LPCM playback. To play a
96kHz DVD, set the listen mode to “STEREO”.
• In FULL AUTO input mode the listen mode will automatically be
STEREO.
• When in DIGITAL MANUAL input mode (listen mode is not STEREO),
“96kHz LPCM” will appear in the display and no sound can be heard
from the speakers.
Press the LISTEN MODE or STEREO key (the listen mode changes to
the STEREO mode) to output sound from the speakers.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainOp View Post

So which one do I use for the lossless playback of HD or MA? Also the THX indicator can be turned on or off during any of these modes. Should I stick with ProLogic II Movie? Seems strange that this receiver even tackles these analog LISTEN MODES.

None of the above, actually. Those are all ways to simulate what lossless already provides. They are designed to produce surround from two channel sources or add a rear channel to 5.1 sources. Also, those are DSPs (as in digital signal processing modes) and your receiver probably can't apply them to the multichannel analog inputs.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:34 PM

So do I leave the receiver in the STEREO mode as it states in post #3015?
Old 11-16-2008, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So do I leave the receiver in the STEREO mode as it states in post #3015?

I'm not familiar with your receiver. But, with most, there will be a button to select the external inputs and the AVR will merely amplify whatever analog audio arrives on those inputs. Stereo is probably an alternative to the external inputs.

As for 96kHz LPCM playback, I doubt that has any meaning for analog output. There are very few BD discs with 96kHz tracks anyway. They are almost all 48kHz.

You will probably need to boost the subwoofer in your receiver as well. LFE is recorded 10db low on purpose and needs to be raised up in the receiver when using analog. Otherwise the bass will sound weak.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chripuck View Post

On the note of the Harmony remotes, what's the best bang for the buck (Under 150 preferrable?)

It'd be controlling a Panny 55, Denon AVR-488, Motorola Cable Box and a Sammy DLP...

Take a look at the Harmony 670. It will control everything you mention + much more. Great remote at a super price, less than half of what you mention!

Ken

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

It all depends on which device does the better job with 3:2 pulldown. The Mits DLP's are actually very smooth.

S~

Quote:

Yeap. No rear projection DLP at this time does a true 5:5. They do 3:2 to get to 60 and then double to get to 120.

S~

Disappointing this year's line-up of Mits. DLPs don't do 5:5 (I have a 73835).
But there is very little, if any judder to my eyes.

I seem to recall that perhaps the Laservue can do 5:5...does anyone know for sure?

Swine are good people too.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

I'm not familiar with your receiver. But, with most, there will be a button to select the external inputs and the AVR will merely amplify whatever analog audio arrives on those inputs. Stereo is probably an alternative to the external inputs.

As for 96kHz LPCM playback, I doubt that has any meaning for analog output. There are very few BD discs with 96kHz tracks anyway. They are almost all 48kHz.

You will probably need to boost the subwoofer in your receiver as well. LFE is recorded 10db low on purpose and needs to be raised up in the receiver when using analog. Otherwise the bass will sound weak.

Now that I am at home, I have found that the receiver states DVD/6CH. Took me a while to find out how to boost the base... On these receivers you can only do it through the remote control. It has a B. BOOST button that immediately selects the maximum (+10) low frequency emphasis setting. I better not loose the remote then...

Thanks for your response and I can tell you already... what an improvement over the DD and DTS legacy formats. The Pani really performs well. Off to speaker adjustments now. They put the menu in a weird place too...
Old 11-16-2008, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Took me a while to find out how to boost the base... On these receivers you can only do it through the remote control. It has a B. BOOST button that immediately selects the maximum (+10) low frequency emphasis setting. I better not loose the remote then...

That sounds like a means of boosting the sub for all inputs. If so, you'll end up with too much bass on your digital sources and will need to adjust it up and down depending on what you are watching. Hopefully, your AVR has a setting that only applies to the external inputs where you can boost the subwoofer output. That won't affect the digital sources. You'll set it once and forget about it after that.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Glad it worked for you. Didn't work for me and I had to return it.

S~

Sorry to hear that. I am really beginning to hate this HDMI implementation. That one item has probably caused more problems for folks than anything else. Seems to be very sensitive to cables, equipment etc. Manufacturers sure are trying hard to alienate the public that buys their products.

Rudy81
Old 11-16-2008, 03:00 PM

I noticed that the 55 has a firmware update. can anybody verify what's new?
Old 11-16-2008, 03:01 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse5842 View Post

I know that the titles are java heavy but why does it make a such a substantial difference when you connect the ethernet cable. Also i do believe that POTC dead mans chest is java heavy and it can load that movie in 45 seconds.

I believe it is contacting the BD Live server and downloading info. Try turning off BDlive in player and test again.

HD DVD gave you a loading BAR and also a cancel button to cancel download.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post

you would be surprised....when vista came out, Logitech was actually quite slow to have a vista compatible version...until then you had to run the 'compatibility mode'

You are absolutely right. I believe the Harmony One was the first Vista compatible remote they made (a useless bit of info, ha).
Old 11-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Could some one with either a 35 or 55 press "display" and take a photo of the screen. Would like to see how readable the "time remaining" or other information would be from across the room.

Thanks.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy81 View Post

Sorry to hear that. I am really beginning to hate this HDMI implementation. That one item has probably caused more problems for folks than anything else. Seems to be very sensitive to cables, equipment etc. Manufacturers sure are trying hard to alienate the public that buys their products.

You can probably thank the content providers and their HDCP mess for most of the problems with HDMI. I''l bet the manufacturers would lose HDCP from their products in a microsecond if they could. You'd still see some issues with HDMI (low power out to components that need it, grounding, etc.), but most likely the majority would go away if HDCP were dropped.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
Old 11-16-2008, 03:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

Does the BD55 have separate memory for SD & BD discs?

If not, the above would be fine for playing DVD's, but wouldn't you have to keep setting secondary-audio to OFF when playing Blu-ray's, so the player doesn't output lossy audio? As explained below:

Paul

Secondary Audio On/Off will never generate lossy audio over the ANALOG outputs which is what the original poster is talking about using for Blu-ray. Bitstream for DVD output over S/PDIF, and the Analog outputs for BD.

For analog output, the player has to expand to PCM anyway in order to mix in the secondary audio and menu clicks sound but this does not sacrifice the lossless audio.

The only place it gets a little tricky is if you have a 7.1-ch speaker setup. If you have a 7.1-ch set-up, then the Secondary Audio ON/OFF switch does make a difference for Dolby and PCM 7.1-channel material, even over the ANALOG outputs (oddly enough it is NOT a problem for 7.1-ch DTS-HD content). With secondary audio ON and native 7.1-ch Dolby or PCM content, the player will lose the rear channels (putting out only 5.1) if it detects secondary audio or menu clicks in the stream. It needs the channels for mixing in the secondary audio sound with the main soundtrack.

If you're using a 5.1-channel configuration, then there's nothing to worry about. But if you're using 7.1 channels, and watching Dolby or PCM 7.1 movies, and these titles use menu click sounds or you enable the PiP BonusView content, then bye bye rear speakers unless you set secondary audio to OFF.

I think they could have made this more complicated. No, actually I take that back. It would have been difficult to make this more complicated than it is.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
Old 11-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post

You can probably thank the content providers and their HDCP mess for most of the problems with HDMI. I''l bet the manufacturers would lose HDCP from their products in a microsecond if they could. You'd still see some issues with HDMI (low power out to components that need it, grounding, etc.), but most likely the majority would go away if HDCP were dropped.

I totally agree. The ironic part is that all this suposed secure content is copied by people all the time. The chinese are great at it. No matter what security they come up with, someone will break it. The whole concept is just bs. Sorry to get OT.

Rudy81

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bh200 Super Blu Blu Ray Hd Dvd Combo Player