Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Owners Thread - Page 103 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3061 of 14982 Old 11-16-2008, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DMP-BD35K + HTP-2920 Optical = 5.1 ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I get a Panasonic DMP-BD35K output optical to a Pioneer HTP-2920 will I get 5.1?

I have read that the DMP-BD35K only has 2.0 analog outputs. So my plan is to use the output HDMI from the DMP-BD35K to my Samsung HL61A750 and then for audio use optical from the DMP-BD35K to my Pioneer HTP-2920.

Will I still only get 2 speaker audio or should I hear it in 5.1?

I know the HDMI will pass 7.1 channels of audio from the DMP-BD35K but my reciever doesn't have HDMI inputs. So I am not sure about this. Also how many channels will output from the Optical?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 14982 Old 11-16-2008, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbkowns View Post

I have read that the DMP-BD35K only has 2.0 analog outputs. So my plan is to use the output HDMI from the DMP-BD35K to my Samsung HL61A750 and then for audio use optical from the DMP-BD35K to my Pioneer HTP-2920.

Will I still only get 2 speaker audio or should I hear it in 5.1?

I know the HDMI will pass 7.1 channels of audio from the DMP-BD35K but my reciever doesn't have HDMI inputs. So I am not sure about this. Also how many channels will output from the Optical?

Optical will give you legacy DD 5.1 and DTS. DD and DTS are usually encoded at their maximum bit rates on BD and sound better than the versions on DVD.

If your receiver has 5.1 analog inputs, you may want to consider getting a BD55 instead. Analog would give you lossless audio.
post #3063 of 14982 Old 11-16-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

From Panasonic

"I just heard back from the legal on Friday and long story short - they could not change the form. So we have instructed fulfillment house to continued to honor all online purchase redemption so the handling side is all aware of this. I am not sure why they could not change this in time but maybe because of the timing... I sincerely hope this will not cause any more confusion, but please be assured that the online purchase will be continued to be honored and you can contact me anytime if you have any questions."

-CB

I know that they said that internet purchases would be honored, what if you buy it from a store(like sears) that is in a different state than the state you live. Have the rebate people been told to just ignore the state altogether or just to accept internet orders?
post #3064 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 12:37 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbar View Post

Yes a bit complicated but good for folk with 5.1 systems as it allows them to keep secondary audio on and never have to remember to go into movie to turn secondary on or off.

Can you not disable clicks in disc menu and if so will it play 7.1 for PCM tracks? Not aware of any Dolby TrueHD 7.1 titles anyway so probably not a big deal there but would like PCM to work on my 7.1 system .

Will play with it later today as I am picking up player and see if I can get it to work with PCM (have 3:10 to Yuma which is pcm 7.1) and see if I can get it to work by turning "button clicks" off from the menu.

Cheers,

Bryan

Ok have played with it and appears to be a bug as 7.1 PCM goes to 5.1 even with button clicks turned off. Manual says it won't if button clicks are turned off.

Bryan
post #3065 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Secondary Audio On/Off will never generate lossy audio over the ANALOG outputs which is what the original poster is talking about using for Blu-ray. Bitstream for DVD output over S/PDIF, and the Analog outputs for BD.

For analog output, the player has to expand to PCM anyway in order to mix in the secondary audio and menu clicks sound but this does not sacrifice the lossless audio.

Hi Chris,

Could you please elaborate on this point? I don't see how mixing lossy secondary audio with lossless primary audio can yield anything other than a combined audio signal that is lossy.

Are you saying that in those particular instances when secondary audio is not playing, then the lossless primary audio (5.1) will remain intact as lossless, regardless of whether secondary audio is set to ON?

Thanks.

Larry
post #3066 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Ok have played with it and appears to be a bug as 7.1 PCM goes to 5.1 even with button clicks turned off. Manual says it won't if button clicks are turned off.

Bryan

If I recall correctly from my, admittedly, limited time reading this thread, just because you turned the button clicks off via menu does not mean you've removed them from the 'stream'. You've only 'muted' them so-to-speak. They're still there in the 'stream' and the player is still recognizing them as such. The only way you'll get 7.1 PCM is to disable Secondary Audio completely by setting it to 'Off' via the player menu.
post #3067 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayridescarbon View Post

. The flicker is basically repetitive, irrelevant stimuli and our nervous system just tunes it out after a short time. The only reason one notices it at all at the beginning of a film is because it's new/relevant again as regular tv viewing is not 24p/48hz and has no flicker. I'm surprised the CNET people didn't understand this and try it.

I've experienced the same thing when traveling to Europe and first watching PAL-TV. Horrible flicker at the beginning of my stay but not noticeable at the end.
post #3068 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:

Yes, if you use the BD55's analog outputs. If you use PCM or bitstream over HDMI, then that's up to your receiver or processor to do.

-CB

I just bought the BD55. I have it paired to a non HDMI system with a 7.1 analog, Optical, and Component Video thru my Denon 3805. I was previously using a Pioneer Elite with SACD and DVD-Audio. I simply disconnected the analog, optical, and component connections from the Pioneer and plugged them into the nearly identical outputs from the BD55. When I play either Std or Blu Ray, I get only the two main speakers playing when I select analog on the 3805. All the speakers output when I select Auto. I'm not sure if I'm getting the maximum output available. I thought I was getting multichannel output thru the analog for SACD and DVD-Audio with my Pioneer Elite. Shouldn't it work the same way with the BD55? Please advise.
post #3069 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG707 View Post

Just curious, but is the Harmony 880 Windows Vista compatible?

Don't know only one of my computers has Vista. I'll Check for ya

Aka- Fr8mvr
post #3070 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshag01 View Post

I I thought I was getting multichannel output thru the analog for SACD and DVD-Audio with my Pioneer Elite. Shouldn't it work the same way with the BD55? Please advise.

Disconnect the optical and use the analog only.

Aka- Fr8mvr
post #3071 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just bought the BD55. I have it paired to a non HDMI system with a 7.1 analog, Optical, and Component Video thru my Denon 3805. I was previously using a Pioneer Elite with SACD and DVD-Audio. I simply disconnected the analog, optical, and component connections from the Pioneer and plugged them into the nearly identical outputs from the BD55. When I play either Std or Blu Ray, I get only the two main speakers playing when I select analog on the 3805. All the speakers output when I select Auto. I'm not sure if I'm getting the maximum output available. I thought I was getting multichannel output thru the analog for SACD and DVD-Audio with my Pioneer Elite. Shouldn't it work the same way with the BD55? Please advise.

You need to select EXT IN on a 3805 to use the multichannel analog inputs.
post #3072 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinw View Post

Disconnect the optical and use the analog only.

That is not necessary. I have my BD55 and 3805 connected both ways and it works properly with each path.
post #3073 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

You need to select EXT IN on a 3805 to use the multichannel analog inputs.

I selected Ext In, and then selected Analog, but only get the two main speakers to output sound. When I select Auto or PCM, the receiver says 7.1 Stereo. I had read early on in this thread that I should disconnect the Optical. Will I still be able to get the best sound thru the analogs from Std DVD's?

Will disconnecting the Optical connection automatically disengage the Digital Audio Output setting on the DB55?

Also, there's the additional option of 2 channel + 5.1 instead of 7.1. What's that all about? BTW, I do have a 7.1 speaker setup.
post #3074 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I selected Ext In, and then selected Analog, but only get the two main speakers to output sound. When I select Auto or PCM, the receiver says 7.1 Stereo. I had read early on in this thread that I should disconnect the Optical. Will I still be able to get the best sound thru the analogs from Std DVD's?

Will disconnecting the Optical connection automatically disengage the Digital Audio Output setting on the DB55?

Also, there's the additional option of 2 channel + 5.1 instead of 7.1. What's that all about? BTW, I do have a 7.1 speaker setup.

Don't press the analog button. I am almost certain that overrides the EXT IN selection and limits the input to the front channels only.

Also, turn HDMI audio off in the player.
post #3075 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:

Don't press the analog button. I am almost certain that overrides the EXT IN selection and
limits the input to the front channels only.

What about the 7.1 Stereo readout on the 3805? Seems like I was getting more input readouts on the 3805 on the left side of the front panel as well with the Pioneer Elite.
post #3076 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What about the 7.1 Stereo readout on the 3805? Seems like I was getting more input readouts on the 3805 on the left side of the front panel as well with the Pioneer Elite.

You won't see any speaker/channel input indicators on the 3805 display when using the external inputs.
post #3077 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:

Don't press the analog button. I am almost certain that overrides the EXT IN selection and limits the input to the front channels only.

Also, turn HDMI audio off in the player.

If you don't have HDMI connections then the BD55 setup will be grayed in regarding HDMI Audio, therefore one can't turn it off or on. Mainly, I'm worried that because the 3805 says 7.1 Stereo, that I may be getting some pseudo 7.1, and not discreet multichannel output.
post #3078 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:

You are correct. On the 3805, the analog button is just for 2 channel playback, while EXT IN is for 5.1 or 7.1 analog.

I just set up my 3805 with the BD55, and I must admit I'm a little concerned at what I'm missing by going to analog inputs (no auto equalizer, no 80Hz crossover). I haven't had enough time to really compare analog to DD or DTS via optical, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. But, does anyone know if it would be possible for Panasonic to add an adjustable crossover via firmware update?
post #3079 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 08:24 AM

Exactly my fears. Ext In gives three options.....DTS, Auto, and PCM....I think. I'm not at home so I can't see the setup, and my memory gets a little jumbled with all the possible settings.
post #3080 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you don't have HDMI connections then the BD55 setup will be grayed in regarding HDMI Audio, therefore one can't turn it off or on. Mainly, I'm worried that because the 3805 says 7.1 Stereo, that I may be getting some pseudo 7.1, and not discreet multichannel output.

Do us both a favor and try this the way Denon intended. Connect up the analog cables to the proper outputs and inputs. Select EXT IN on the Denon and don't make any other selections. Play a disc with multichannel audio. You should hear audio in all of the channels that are getting output from the disc. If you play a 5.1 disc, you'll get six channels. If you play a 7.1 disc, you'll get all eight. The Denon will not show you the input channels on the left side of the display. If it does, you have made other input selections beyond EXT IN.

I gather you do not have HDMI connected to your TV. So, ignore the previous suggestion to turn HDMI audio to off.
post #3081 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Exactly my fears. Ext In gives three options.....DTS, Auto, and PCM....I think. I'm not at home so I can't see the setup, and my memory gets a little jumbled with all the possible settings.

No.

The INPUT MODE button gives you those three options. It cycles through Auto, DTS, and PCM. That button tells the Denon to look for audio on the digital inputs and the two channel analog input.

The EXT IN button tells it to ignore those inputs and use the multichannel analog inputs instead. That is the ONLY way to get multichannel analog audio with the Denon 3805 receiver.

When you press EXT IN, the Denon display will show the name of the input (DBS, DVD, etc) across the top and EXT IN beneath it. The input on the top is the video source, if you are even feeding video through the Denon, and EXT IN is the audio that gets used. If you have assigned your Blu-ray player to the input named DVD, then you would select DVD to get the video from the player and then select EXT IN to get the multichannel analog audio. If you are running the video directly to the TV, then it won't matter what input you select on the Denon. Just hit EXT IN to get the multichannel analog audio.
post #3082 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 08:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Bryan

On what receiver? Onkyo xx5 receivers (605, 705, etc.) have a problem with the BD35/BD55's output of 7.1-ch PCM (but only on native 7.1-ch PCM sountracks of which there are few in existence). They lose the rear channels. Panasonic confirmed this and is working with Onkyo to see if/how it can be fixed.

But if this is not an Onkyo receiver, what software and you using (what title) and how are you disabling the menu clicks?

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #3083 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 09:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi Chris,

Could you please elaborate on this point? I don't see how mixing lossy secondary audio with lossless primary audio can yield anything other than a combined audio signal that is lossy.

Are you saying that in those particular instances when secondary audio is not playing, then the lossless primary audio (5.1) will remain intact as lossless, regardless of whether secondary audio is set to ON?

Thanks.

Larry

Larry,

I'm talking about using the analog multi-channel outputs. There is never a need to convert Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD to their lossy counterparts when you are using the BD55's analog outputs. Even with Secondary Audio set to ON, the player expands the Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master audio soundtracks to full bandwidth PCM, mixes in menu clicks and Secondary Audio (if present) and converts this new multi-channel PCM mix to analog. Again, with the 7.1 to 5.1 caveat for Dolby TrueHD 7.1 (currently 2 Blu-ray titles available out of over 1000) and PCM 7.1 (currently 12 Blu-ray titles available out of over 1000).

The only time the player will switch over to LOSSY soundtracks is if you are using the HDMI output, have the Digital Audio Output set to "bistream," Secondary Audio set to ON, and the player detects secondary audio or menu clicks in the stream.

Over analog, the player *never* has to rely on the lossy counterparts as everything is expanded into its underlying PCM components.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #3084 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 09:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason978 View Post

I know that they said that internet purchases would be honored, what if you buy it from a store(like sears) that is in a different state than the state you live. Have the rebate people been told to just ignore the state altogether or just to accept internet orders?

Honestly I never really got a good answer from them as to why that line was in there in the first place so I can't say definitivly whether your situation would be honored. My guess is that it should not be a problem.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #3085 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 09:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Did you try setting HDMI Audio output to OFF in the player's set-up menu? Some people are reporting this is necessary in order to get all of the analog output channels to work, but it does not seem to be consistent as to when this happens and I don't think we've isolated an exact test case theat consistently reproeuces the problem.

Edit: If you are not using the HDMI output at all (e.g., to connect the player to the TV), then obviously this would not apply - saw that in a later post.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #3086 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatonjohn View Post

You are correct. On the 3805, the analog button is just for 2 channel playback, while EXT IN is for 5.1 or 7.1 analog.

I just set up my 3805 with the BD55, and I must admit I'm a little concerned at what I'm missing by going to analog inputs (no auto equalizer, no 80Hz crossover). I haven't had enough time to really compare analog to DD or DTS via optical, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

These comparisons are very much equipment and room dependent. But, while I normally use an 80Hz crossover, the 100Hz crossover in the player seems fine. I don't use much EQ. Whatever my receiver did with its auto setup doesn't appear to be lacking in the output of the player. I've also run a digital connection which I use when paying DVDs. But, I must admit I don't hear differences when switching between the two.

Quote:

does anyone know if it would be possible for Panasonic to add an adjustable crossover via firmware update?

Anything is possible, but this seems unlikely. None of the reasonably priced players offer adjustable crossovers or the ability to set different crossovers for the center channel or surrounds.
post #3087 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 09:30 AM

I'll check it out when I get home. Seems like I had to choose more than just Input In. I have both Video and Audio going thru the Denon 3805 and then out to my mitsubishi WS55 projection TV. I know I'm a little outdated but the TV cost nearly $3400 back in 2003, the Denon receiver was $1200, and the Pioneer Elite was $380 so I'm pretty frugal regarding replacements. Amazing how the prices have come down and the technology up. My goal at the moment is to maximize the use of my 300 plus Std DVD's while purchasing only Blu Rays from this point on. Without HDMI connections though, I think I'm still limited to 480P thru the component connections for Std DVD.
post #3088 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 09:33 AM

You just reminded me of something else. As we all know, the speaker setup thru the DB55 is clumsy at best while the 3805 has speaker setup thru the additional microphone (not included with the receiver). Any ideas on this issue?
post #3089 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You just reminded me of something else. As we all know, the speaker setup thru the DB55 is clumsy at best while the 3805 has speaker setup thru the additional microphone (not included with the receiver). Any ideas on this issue?

That's the downside of multichannel analog with these reasonably priced players, which don't have very good signal processing tools. But, I don't think it's a problem for most of us. See post #3086 a couple of entries above. The audio over the EXT INs is just fine for me coming out of the player without the Denon's digital processing. The same is true for my Denon 2900 SACD/DVD-Audio player, which I also have hooked up using the analog inputs.
post #3090 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 09:45 AM

what I'll be missing by hooking up the 7.1 analogs to the Panasonic is the inability to use them for the Elite's SACD and DVD-Audio since there's only one set of analog inputs to the 3805. I didn't have too many multichannel formatted CD's, but the ones that I have weren't cheap, and I particularly liked listening to the Eagles Hotel California. I was always amused at the massive quantity of inputs and outputs on the 3805.....just now to find that I'm a set short of my needs.....arghhhh.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bh200 Super Blu Blu Ray Hd Dvd Combo Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page