post #3091 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshag01 View Post

what I'll be missing by hooking up the 7.1 analogs to the Panasonic is the inability to use them for the Elite's SACD and DVD-Audio since there's only one set of analog inputs to the 3805. I didn't have too many multichannel formatted CD's, but the ones that I have weren't cheap, and I particularly liked listening to the Eagles Hotel California. I was always amused at the massive quantity of inputs and outputs on the 3805.....just now to find that I'm a set short of my needs.....arghhhh.

Get a Philips switch (PH-61148). $25 online. It's a manual switch - real low-tech - and works like a charm. It only has six channels, though. But, since there are no 7.1 SACD or DVD-Audio discs, you can probably run 5.1 through the switch and run the rear speakers from the BD55 direct to your receiver. At any rate, I am using this switch and am happy with how it works. You need to get up to insert a disc anyway, so the lack of remote control is no big deal.

Zektor has pricier switches, in the $250 range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

Over analog, the player *never* has to rely on the lossy counterparts as everything is expanded into its underlying PCM components.

-CB

Sorry for the dumb question, and I understand you are talking about the HD audio formats here, but why the need for folks to hook up the optical audio in addition to analog on receivers without HDMI? I guess my real question is, for DVD's, what level of audio is output over the analog?
post #3093 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 10:37 AM

I just reread you last post BIslander. How do you have both your Denon DVD and the Panasonic hooked up to the analog inputs on the 3805 when there is only one set???
post #3094 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just reread you last post BIslander. How do you have both your Denon DVD and the Panasonic hooked up to the analog inputs on the 3805 when there is only one set???

See post #3091 above.

2900 --> 6 cables --> Philips Switch |
...................................................|--> 6 cables --> AVR 3805
BD55 --> 6 cables --> Philips Switch |
post #3095 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 10:48 AM

OK, I'm a little slow but I just downloaded the 3805 manual, and I see that there are 5 separate Input Mode functions. Input mode selection function
Different input modes can be selected for the different input sources.
The selected input modes for the separate input sources are stored in
the memory.
1. AUTO (auto mode)
In this mode, the types of signals being input to the digital and
analog input jacks for the selected input source are detected and
the program in the AVR-3805’s surround decoder is selected
automatically upon playback. This mode can be selected for all
input sources other than PHONO and TUNER.
The presence or absence of digital signals is detected, the signals
input to the digital input jacks are identified and decoding and
playback are performed automatically in DTS, Dolby Digital or PCM
(2 channel stereo) format. If no digital signal is being input, the
analog input jacks are selected.
Use this mode to play Dolby Digital signals.
2. PCM (exclusive PCM signal playback mode)
Decoding and playback are only performed when PCM signals are
being input.
Note that noise may be generated when using this mode to play
signals other than PCM signals.
3. DTS (exclusive DTS signal playback mode)
Decoding and playback are only performed when DTS signals are
being input.
4. ANALOG (exclusive analog audio signal playback mode)
The signals input to the analog input jacks are played.
5. EXT. IN (external decoder input jack selection mode)
The signals being input to the external decoder input jacks are
played without passing through the surround circuitry.

Somehow, I got the idea that you had to select 5. ext in and then one of 1 thru 4. I'm not so sure that just pressing ext in give me output though.
post #3096 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony17 View Post

Sorry for the dumb question, and I understand you are talking about the HD audio formats here, but why the need for folks to hook up the optical audio in addition to analog on receivers without HDMI? I guess my real question is, for DVD's, what level of audio is output over the analog?

I use that hookup configuration. Digital means the AVR's settings for bass management and EQ can be used when watching DVDs. If you have a 7.1 system, then you can also apply PLIIx to matrix the rear speakers, something that can't be done with the analog inputs.

The PCM produced by decoding DD and DTS sources will be the same regardless of where it is decoded. But, those added tools are only available when using digital to the receiver.
post #3097 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Somehow, I got the idea that you had to select 5. ext in and then one of 1 thru 4.

Those choices don't work together. Choose one, and only one, of them. The last one pressed is the only one that is active.
Quote:

I'm not so sure that just pressing ext in give me output though.

It will. If it doesn't, there's a problem at the source device. The Denon merely takes whatever analog audio is fed to the external inputs, amplifies it, and sends it along to the speakers.

You will also need to boost the output of the subwoofer, by the way. There's a Denon setup screen that allows you to boost the SW in 5db increments for the external inputs. Use +10db if you set your speakers to large in the player, +15db if you set them to small. Or, "season to taste".
post #3098 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbar View Post

Ok have played with it and appears to be a bug as 7.1 PCM goes to 5.1 even with button clicks turned off. Manual says it won't if button clicks are turned off.

Bryan

I hate to be an idiot, but where in the manual does it talk about button clicks. I don't see it and a search did not turn it up.
post #3099 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post

You aren't creating a different color space, C. 4:2:0 is used for storage only, to encode color in order to save space on the disk on SD DVD and HD DVD/Blu-Ray. All players resample the color information and output 4:2:2 (HDMI or RGB) or 4:4:4 (HDMI). One of the results with players that incorrectly do this is the infamous "CUE", or "Chroma Upsampling Error". Check the Secrets of Home Theater website for a good background article on this.

I was unable to find the article you referenced. If you get a chance, it would be great if you could post the link. Thanks!

-Chris
post #3100 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 11:11 AM

I'm starting to catch on I think. Since I don't have HDMI connections, the Panasonic setup should be simple....7.1. The Denon still requires another step according to the manual after selecting ext in.

3. Select the Play mode....stereo, surround, etc.

One more issue. I have to reconfigure the Component Inputs to the Denon since I've essentially added another source that uses component video. Should I set Video 3 to Auto? It didn't work when I simply added the new Panasonic...no sound bo video, so I just disconnected the Denon, and plugged it's old connections into the Panasonic....which went to the Denon's Video 2 inputs. Video 1 is the DirecTV HD DVR.
post #3101 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Panasonic Japan has confirmed the subtitle truncation problem with non-anamorphic DVDs, however, it is not something they think they will be able to correct via firmware as it is a result of an intentional design choice to improve the quality of the zoomed output of nonanamorphic DVD titles.

(snip)

with the UniPhier in the BD35/BD55, the subtitle is super-imposed before the de-interlacer and before the zoom. This prevents the player from re-positioning the subtitles and changing this is apparently not so simple.

This is probably not an issue that many people will encounter as it's only really bad on certain non-anamorphic DVD titles which have subtitles and which cannot be "un-zoomed" to view these subtitles. But I'm not sure they quite get the fact that these "auto-zoomed" titles (e.g., "The Abyss SE" and "Wargames") cannot be *un-zoomed* to restore the sub-titles to full visibility.

For me, if they could at least allow these titles to be un-zoomed then we'd have a good work-around for those few anamorphic DVDs that are causing this problem.

(snip)

-CB

Thanks for running that down, Chris. Too bad an architectural choice will prevent them from "solving" this problem. I agree, though, that it would be nice if they would at least let you "unzoom" titlesd that are automatically zoomed.

(In that vein, it sure would be nice if you could Zoom any content as well. For example, the special features on Speed Racer are encoded as 16x9 windowboxed. But the player will not zoom blu-ray content.)

Ideally, there would be no non-anamorphic DVD's to worry about. Oh well, my old DVD player is sticking around for the rare occasion that I want to enjoy a non-anamorphic DVD that has subtitles.

-Chris
post #3102 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

How well does the BD35/55 players handle the 3:2 and 2:2 1080i cadence tests?
post #3103 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm starting to catch on I think. Since I don't have HDMI connections, the Panasonic setup should be simple....7.1. The Denon still requires another step according to the manual after selecting ext in.

3. Select the Play mode....stereo, surround, etc.

One more issue. I have to reconfigure the Component Inputs to the Denon since I've essentially added another source that uses component video. Should I set Video 3 to Auto? It didn't work when I simply added the new Panasonic...no sound bo video, so I just disconnected the Denon, and plugged it's old connections into the Panasonic....which went to the Denon's Video 2 inputs. Video 1 is the DirecTV HD DVR.

Response by PM to move this out of the BD35/BD55 thread.
post #3104 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iramack View Post

Paul,

Thanks for the info.
So, are you pleased with the BD picture quality over component @1080i ??
Steve

I'm not the person whom you directed the question too, but I can tell you that the 1080i looks impressive once everything is calibrated. The jump from 1080i to 1080p is better but nothing wehn compared to 480p-1080i. imho.
post #3105 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 12:45 PM

Hi, BIslander
I have a Denon 3806/3910 combo, planning to buy Panny BD-55. So, the setup similar to yours, but my AVR has HDMI inputs. I thought that the only option for me to get HD-res audio formats from BD-55 was the analog outs, but somebody on different thread (maybe even you ?) has corrected me that I can still use HDMI.
That means: HDMi 1.3 device (player) , after decoding, would send m/ch PCM signal to the HDMI 1.1 device (AVR), with no problem. Is that correct ??? That's really a crucial question.
The benefit of this solution would be to take advantage of 3806 excellent DACs and the speakers config/bass management options in AVR. Can you confirm that please ?
Thanks in advance.

Listening to sound opinions, preferring sound of music ...
post #3106 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Fan View Post

Hi, BIslander
I have a Denon 3806/3910 combo, planning to buy Panny BD-55. So, the setup similar to yours, but my AVR has HDMI inputs. I thought that the only option for me to get HD-res audio formats from BD-55 was the analog outs, but somebody on different thread (maybe even you ?) has corrected me that I can still use HDMI.
That means: HDMi 1.3 device (player) , after decoding, would send m/ch PCM signal to the HDMI 1.1 device (AVR), with no problem. Is that correct ??? That's really a crucial question.
The benefit of this solution would be to take advantage of 3806 excellent DACs and the speakers config/bass management options in AVR. Can you confirm that please ?

Yes, you should be good to go with player decoding to PCM for transmission to your AVR. HDMI 1.1 is all that's required.
post #3107 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 01:27 PM

OK, I'm a NOOB, and need some confirmation. I have a BD35 connected to a Yamaha v2700 via HDMI. What settings should I be using on the '35 for the best available audio? Did I make a mistake not getting the '55?
I know it's a simplistic question, any replies would be appreciated.
post #3108 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 01:29 PM

Is the analog section on the panny 55 better than the sony 550?
post #3109 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:

what I'll be missing by hooking up the 7.1 analogs to the Panasonic is the inability to use them for the Elite's SACD and DVD-Audio since there's only one set of analog inputs to the 3805. I didn't have too many multichannel formatted CD's, but the ones that I have weren't cheap, and I particularly liked listening to the Eagles Hotel California. I was always amused at the massive quantity of inputs and outputs on the 3805.....just now to find that I'm a set short of my needs.....arghhhh.

If there were a way to upgrade the electronics responsible for decoding in receivers like your's, that's reasonably cost effective, someone will make a million.
post #3110 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dml1333 View Post

I just tried to play back some JPEGS from a disk and got "unsupported disk". I knew that the files were OK and within spec for my BD35, but they were on a DVD+R disk. After looking in detail at the manual, it seems it can only show pictures from CDs, DVD-RAM, or BD-RE disks! So I burned a few .jpg's on a CD-RW and they played fine -- well slowly, but they worked. Also I successfully played JPEGS from an SD card. Has anyone else tested this to confirm the same behavior? Anyone tested DVD-R (I didn't have any to test) or BD-RE? It sure seems odd that JPEG playback functionality works on all media EXCEPT DVD's. If this is the case, does anyone know the procedure for recommending that this be considered for a future firmware update?

They work for me. My BD30 was always picky about jpg on DVD+R (my only DVDR discs) and wouldn't play some that other players would. All I can tell you is I use Nero Express; Track-at-once; Finalize; and I burn at a slow speed.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #3111 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 02:30 PM

Noticed something with my BD35. Anyone else seen this?

I get a thin line across the top of my picture where it is brighter than the rest of the picture. This is obviously only in Widescreen when in letterbox mode with black bars above and below the picture. It's like a little contrast wrinkle across the top of the picture. 1 or 2 pixel thick line all the way across the top of the picture. I see it in Lord of the Rings for instance when Frodo is reading a book at the beginning sitting under the tree. I do not recall seeing this on my BD30.

Anyone know what that could be?

C.

Panasonic 42" Plasma TH42-PZ85U
Panasonic Blueray Player DMP-BD35
Sony 5.1 Home Theater DAV-HDX475 (wish it was Panasonic but it's ok)
post #3112 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 02:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinotoad View Post

I hate to be an idiot, but where in the manual does it talk about button clicks. I don't see it and a search did not turn it up.

Page 8 on the audio output chart is one place where it's discussed (footnote 2), but if you search the PDF manual for "clicking sound" you'll find all 6 references.

Basically if the Menu of the Blu-ray Disc has button clicking sounds enabled (or "mouse-over" type sounds), then the player treats this like BD Secondary Audio. It has to internally convert the sound to PCM (or lossless audio for bitstream) in order to mix these sounds in with the actual movie soundtrack.

Turning Secondary Audio OFF (in the DB55 Digital Audio Output Set-up menu, not using the Secondary Audio button on the remote), will eliminate these sounds from the datastream and prevent any conversion of the HBR audio formats over bitstreamed output.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #3113 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 02:53 PM

Read in the Sony S550 thread that while the S550 and Samsung 2550 both have issues with internal decoding DTS-HDMA on Hellboy II and Rush Hour 3 (using the DTS core track instead and outputting 5.1), this player decodes both to 7.1 properly for PCM out.

Can anyone confirm this? While this is only relevant for maybe 6 or 7 titles now, this could be a signpost of problems to come on those players and mark a huge strength in this player and make the decision of which of those 3 to buy a bit easier for me when I get to the states.
post #3114 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Fan View Post

Hi, BIslander
Thanks in advance.

I have the 4806 and am using LPCM over hdmi and it works great. The only downside to mine and I believe yours would be the same is that LPCM on these models is limited to 5.1.

I know on the 4806 I can send it in to Denon and they can upgrade it to a 'ci' unit which will accept 7.1 along with a few other upgrades. It is kinda pricey and I just let the Denon matrix in the back two channels.

My HT
Optoma HD33
120" Elite ultra white screen
Denon 4311
Panasonic bd210
SVS PB12 plus/2
post #3115 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobinNJ View Post

OK, I'm a NOOB, and need some confirmation. I have a BD35 connected to a Yamaha v2700 via HDMI. What settings should I be using on the '35 for the best available audio? Did I make a mistake not getting the '55?
I know it's a simplistic question, any replies would be appreciated.

You made no mistake in getting the 35. The 55 is best bought by people whose AVRs do not have HDMI and are forced to use analog output from the player to the receiver.
Since both your 35 and your receiver decode lossless audio codecs (Dolby TruHD and DTS Master Audio) you can choose which one decodes these codecs, probably makes no difference which setting you use.
For the 35 to decode the audio codecs, set it to output PCM.
For your AVR to decode, set your 35 to output Bitstream.
Your AVR is fairly expensive, might have better decoding. Try it both ways and see if you can tell a difference.

to each his own...
post #3116 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiorgo1313 View Post

Is the analog section on the panny 55 better than the sony 550?

Probably. The 55 features high quality audio processing components which are used exclusively for analog output (these components are NOT used via HDMI output).

to each his own...
post #3117 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

I'm sure this has been asked 30 times in this thread but can't read 104 pages .

I have a Pioneer SC-07. I just hooked up my BD35 and put in Spider Man. It is showing Dolby Digital on the receiver even though the movie is Dolby True HD. Will the audio codecs not show on my receiver like the Pioneer 51 does?

thanks.
post #3118 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 06:24 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette View Post

If I recall correctly from my, admittedly, limited time reading this thread, just because you turned the button clicks off via menu does not mean you've removed them from the 'stream'. You've only 'muted' them so-to-speak. They're still there in the 'stream' and the player is still recognizing them as such. The only way you'll get 7.1 PCM is to disable Secondary Audio completely by setting it to 'Off' via the player menu.

That makes sense also though I don't think button clicks are in the data stream. they are just a feature to set on or off IMO.

Not a big deal but would be nice not to have to turn it on and/or off as an when required.
post #3119 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 06:31 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

On what receiver? Onkyo xx5 receivers (605, 705, etc.) have a problem with the BD35/BD55's output of 7.1-ch PCM (but only on native 7.1-ch PCM sountracks of which there are few in existence). They lose the rear channels. Panasonic confirmed this and is working with Onkyo to see if/how it can be fixed.

But if this is not an Onkyo receiver, what software and you using (what title) and how are you disabling the menu clicks?

-CB

I have a Marantz sr7002 with latest firmware H.38 and am using 3:10 to Yuma. Checked the menu and under setup went to options menu and turned audio off. It then turned off the music and button clicking whilst in the menu section..

I thought the problem went from Onkyo's to all 7.1 receivers and 7.1 PCM encodes?

Also I have audio set to PCM for all 3 and Downmix to off and secondary audio set to on.

Bryan
post #3120 of 14982 Old 11-17-2008, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafire View Post

I have a Pioneer SC-07. I just hooked up my BD35 and put in Spider Man. It is showing Dolby Digital on the receiver even though the movie is Dolby True HD. Will the audio codecs not show on my receiver like the Pioneer 51 does?

How is it hooked up and how are the player outputs configured?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bh200 Super Blu Blu Ray Hd Dvd Combo Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page