post #361 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 06:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

After reading your post I just tried to play "Starship Troopers" (Blu-ray) in my DMP-BD55. First I get a blank screen for about 15-30 seconds, then a red bar showing it is loading and then the unit reverts to STOP. That is an odd glitch which I hope they can fix with a firmware update.

Wonder if "Starship Troopers" (Blu-ray) will play on the BD35?

Edit: FYI: My "Starship Troopers" (Blu-ray) disc plays fine on my PS3 and my Samsung BD-P1000.

Paul

I believe Starship Troopers needs an SD card in the Panasonic before it will play because it does some BD-Live checking when it loads. Do you have an SD card in there yet? I've loaded up all 3 Starship Troopers in the BD55 and BD50 multiple times no problem.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Has anyone so far been able to tell if the BD55 has a "source direct" feature like the one on the Pioneer 51FD that lets you use the video processor in your preamp rather than the one in the player? Thanks.

Matt
post #363 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox-SJ View Post

i set up my 55 this eve and connected it to my maratz 8500 via the 5.1 analog audio out.

either i am doing something grossly wrong or the 55 has audio out issues.

in setup and it goes through its pink nosie test, i do not get any sound out of my rear surrouns...just a poping noise.

when i put in a dics to play i get audio BUT it is the same audio that is come from all my speaks are they are mixed together. it would seem there is no descret channle

anyone else experiencing analog audion out issues?

Hmmm I have the 8500 also but using a 7.1 outs instead. Make sure HDMI audio is set to OFF and that you selected 2 channel + 5.1 outputs and not 7.1 outs on the 55. Under digital output make sure both are set to PCM and not Bitstream.
post #364 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 07:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRuz View Post

Newbie here. Was wondering if someone could help. Running my Onkyo 606, HDMI, hooked up to the new Panny 35, set to bitstream with a 5.1 setup. While watching Ironman, I noticed the 606 was not displaying DTrue HD, just Dolby D. Am I missing something here? Any advice would be greatly apperciated. Thank you.

Well since you've set it to bitstream and secondary audio=off, I would say make sure you've selected the True HD track on the disc itself but if you didn't then you'd be listening to it in French or Spanish and that just might be noticeable.

The only thing I can think of is make sure you haven't also hooked up the optical or analog 2-channel output to your receiver. If you have, that might be the sound you're getting instead of the HDMI digital stream. Is that a possiblity?

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #365 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 07:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox-SJ View Post

i set up my 55 this eve and connected it to my maratz 8500 via the 5.1 analog audio out.

either i am doing something grossly wrong or the 55 has audio out issues.

in setup and it goes through its pink nosie test, i do not get any sound out of my rear surrouns...just a poping noise.

when i put in a dics to play i get audio BUT it is the same audio that is come from all my speaks are they are mixed together. it would seem there is no descret channle

anyone else experiencing analog audion out issues?

Got the same thing myself until I turned HDMI Audio to OFF in the set-up menu. Did you try that?

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #366 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 07:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post

I'm glad you highlighted that particular portion of CB's post. There's only one true statement in that paragraph: that the Panasonic currently decodes MA. All other portions are completely wrong!

1) S550 does decode MA (firmware not req)
2) BDP1500 will never decode MA (Broadcom chip reportedly can't do it)
3) Denon 3800 had almost a 6 month lead on decoding MA over all other standalones. PS3's been decoding since April.
4) As of today, the Pioneers still do not decode MA.

Sorry if I misspoke on the Sony. All I knew was that the S550 has "issues" decoding DTS-MA, which BISlander explained in his later post. We requested one for review weeks ago but still haven't gotten it yet so we've not been able to test it yet.

As for the BD-P1500, the Samsung reps told me last week that a firmware upgrade is coming in the fall to decode DTS-MA to PCM in the player. If the chip doesn't support it, then someone should tell the Samsung PR guys that. Why don't you give them a call?

And you're right about the PS3 of course, decoding to PCM but not analog.

Later,

-Chris

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #367 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 07:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdanderson View Post

Has anyone so far been able to tell if the BD55 has a "source direct" feature like the one on the Pioneer 51FD that lets you use the video processor in your preamp rather than the one in the player? Thanks.

It definitely does not. The closest it comes is that if you set it to 24P and it detects that the source Blu-ray Disc is *NOT* 24P content, then it will output 1080p/60 instead. But it won't automatically output DVDs at 480i or 1080i Blu-rays at 1080i or anything like that.

I think the Pioneer is the only one that does that currently and I'm absolutely sure that EWL5 will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #368 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds54 View Post

This happened to me too initially (55), but I kept playing with it because I do have a 24p display. I'm not in front of my system now, so I can't be exact, but I recall pushing the buttons on that menu until one of them popped-up a sub menu asking if I had a 24p-capable display. When I hit "yes", it switched my 24p from "Off" to "On" and remained there afterwards. Is that what you were referring to?

I have tried various button/menu combinations and haven't been able to
get to the 24p-capable sub-menu (I'm stuck at the "24p Output" menu
under "HDMI Connection").

If you get a chance, could you please see if you can repeat the steps
that you took to get to the 24p-capable menu (and list them here)?

Thanks very much.

Layne
post #369 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 07:37 AM

I have a BD30 and I was thinking of upgrading to the BD35 or 55 for a few reasons. This is my current setup and I am not too sure if the BD35 or 55 is right for me.

BD30
Onkyo 606 (receiver decodes TrueHD/DTS-HD)
Oppo 980H (for DVD's)

1-Will the BD35 or BD55 be perfect for the Onkyo 606 since I would need the Blu player to bitstream to the receiver? I'm guessing the BD35 would be, but not sure. I am connected via HDMI.

2-I like the Oppo for DVD upconversion, but if I can get 1 player to do both that would be better. Does the BD35 and 55 have a better upscaler for DVD's vs. the non-existent scaler in the BD30. CNET review was raving that the scaler in both of these 35/55 is very good and a few were on here too. Can someone please confirm? It sounds like the scaler is the same in the 35 and 55.

3-The PS3 displays the codecs/encodes, FPS, etc. Have they added this yet to the Panny's since it isn't available on my BD30, I was hoping it would be in the newer models. I think the Sony S350 and 550 have this though.
post #370 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 07:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyliec2 View Post

I have only started three movies in my BD-35 (set to 1080/24p) connected through a Monoprice HDMI 1.3 switch to a Sony VPL-VW60 - and noticed a couple of things:

1) When the player is displaying it's splash screen or menu (not the movie's menu) the projected display jumps around - erratically and with slight flashes - something I might attribute to a switch/cable except that it didn't happen on previous HD or BD players at 1080/24p. Once the movie content begins to display, the picture locks in to a rock solid, perfect picture. So it hasn't hampered me watching a picture but when I was first setting it up (applaud the simplified setup by the way!!) my immediate thought was 'uh-oh'....

2) The first movie I put in was Nightmare Before Christmas. As it started the actual movie load process, I was getting an extended streaked/mishmashed display of partial image and partial garbage (much different and more extreme than item #1). This was for a period of time you might see the circling dots when the movie is loading. Combined with item #1 when I first hooked up the BD-35 I was positive something was hosed with the player. But then the movie menu did load and everything was perfect.

So these items (I hesitate to call them issues) are a little disconcerting but haven't affected my actual watching of movies. This player installed exactly the same as the Samsung BD1400 that it replaced which did not have any issues.

I do think the BD-35 picture is better than the Samsung - I won't try to qualify that as I couldn't A-B them - just my 'seat of the pants' impression.

Have you tried swapping out the cable and bypassing the switch just for testing purposes? I have tested the BD55 into a Impact Acoustics/Cables to Go 5-port HDMI switch into an Integra pre/pro then into a Panny plasma, and also into an Oppo HDMI switch into an Onkyo receiver and into an EPSON 1080 UB projector and have not seen these glitches that you describe.

Maybe the Panny just doesn't like Sony projectors? Or maybe you got a bum unit?

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #371 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

I believe Starship Troopers needs an SD card in the Panasonic before it will play because it does some BD-Live checking when it loads. Do you have an SD card in there yet? I've loaded up all 3 Starship Troopers in the BD55 and BD50 multiple times no problem.

-CB

This problem may just be related to that movie title. I watched 88 minutes last night which has the BD-Live feature. I had no SD card in the slot and I am not hooked up for BD-Live and it played just fine.

I just picked up the BD35 yesterday at a local CC and have to say that this unit is more than I expected at $300. CC only had one 35 and one 55 in the store. Matched up with a PS3 on my Panny plasma my wife and I felt the picture quality was better on the BD35 - slightly better I should say. We both felt the color was much more natural on the BD35 and a bit more saturated. She rarely notices differences but she noticed last night. Working as a color management consultant/tech I look for very subtle differences in color and tend to notice this area of PQ first. I also thought the sound was a bit cleaner on the BD35 driven by my Pio 82TXS. Again subtle nuances but I could notice them. Looks like the new BD35 and BD55 are going to be quite the big sell this holiday season especially that the quality is in line with the PS3 and potentially slightly better and at a lower price point.

I also bought this model over the new Pio BD players for the SD card slot. Owning an HD camcorder I came to really appreciate the PS3 for watching full HD video I captured onto my Plasma. The one thing I definitely don't miss on the PS3 is the annoying sound of the jet propeller ramping up over the first 30 minutes of any movie especially in such a small room like our bedroom. LOL!

I did get handshake issues when trying to push 24p to my 720p Panny plasma. It just would not catch up with the video. No problem. A 42" 720p plasma is plenty of resolution for this small room.

I also tested SD DVD upconversion with Gladiator and noticed a sharper picture on the BD35 over my Toshiba HA2 but noticed some artifact in the beginning of the movie. Possibly the BD35 is not cleaning up as much noise providing a sharper picture. I will have to test some other discs. I also felt the sound level was a bit lower on the BD35 than the HA2. Again I will have to test a couple other flicks. I was still very pleased with the SD upconvert and can definitely say I don't necessarily need the HA2 in the bedroom for SD anymore. This was the breaking point for me on the BD35 for not returning it. I have limited space in this room for gear and wanted a BD and SD player in one so I don't have to run two players.

This BD player has gotten me really excited again after buying into every new technology going back to CD and S-VHS and at only a $300 buy in too. Spent thousands on DVD when it first launched and at least a thousand on the HA2 and movies. Man was I wrong about HD DVD.

My old "DTS" Rotel RSP985 is getting stored away today as that $2000 piece is not worth anything to anyone but me as a memory of a premier sound processor at the launch of DVD. The BD35 has inspired me to go pick out a new Pio receiver to actually see TrueHD or DTS HD on the front panel. LOL! I can sense the wife getting nervous last night as I started getting back on AVS...
post #372 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
While I am still waiting on my BD calibration disc, I recalibrated my projector with the AVIA Pro SD-DVD.

No more Red push and my black level performance has improved. I have switched the 55K menu HDMI RGB Range Output back to NORMAL.

I also have a special SD-DVD calibration disk with with a grayscale chart with 98-99-100 luminance values. I find I can increase the 55K DISPLAY ... CONTRAST to (+2) before the the 99 & 100 luminance values start to merge.

Still waiting on my 1st BD titles to arrive, we watched a few more SD-DVD titles last night. Low APL noise has not been a problem since I recalibrated, so War of the Worlds look great.

I did notice some video interlaced artifacts on the Galaxy Quest SD-DVD, in the video that introduces the main DVD navigation menu. However, the movie was rock solid. It's the same interlaced artifacts I have seen on some other SD-DVD "previews", while the main movie program is fine. Has anyone else noticed this?

Is there any info available on the 55k DISPLAY PICTURE settings used for FINE, SOFT & CINEMA?

Regarding 1080p on a Sony... My VPL-HS51A is supposed to be 1080p compatible but will not sync to the 55k 1080p60, only 1080i60. I get an Out of Range error message and flashing screens of noise. I have always took the 1080p60 problems with other 1080p sources as an issue with the 1080p implementation on the HS51A. Perhaps Sony has issues with newer projectors as well. Maybe some other Sony display owners could comment on their ability to use 1080p60 & 1080p24.

Honestly, I don't mind not being able to sync 1080p since my projector is a 720p panel. Not being able to sync on the VW60 would be a problem.

I will soon have a DVDO Edge VP to test the HS51A with an alternate 1080p60/1080p24 source. I'll report anything interesting I find.

XBL GT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #373 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 08:11 AM

Liked: 17
Just in case my message was glossed over :

"Guys, I need your help. I went to Amazon.co.uk as I want to buy the PAL BD35 but they are not able to ship to South Africa. Are there any other places you can recommend I go to buy the PAL BD-35 and who ships to South Africa ? Many thanks."

Regards,
post #374 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Does your AVR Decode DTS-HD MA? If it does... get the 35. If it doesn't get the 55 for 7.1 Analog out. You may or may not use your oppo for DVDs. Word is that the 35 and 55 have great dvd playback. Best of luck.
post #375 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate358 View Post

Does your AVR Decode DTS-HD MA? If it does... get the 35. If it doesn't get the 55 for 7.1 Analog out. You may or may not use your oppo for DVDs. Word is that the 35 and 55 have great dvd playback. Best of luck.

My AVR decodes DTS-HD MA. It sounds like the DVD playback is excellent with the BD35/55, so I may sell off my other two players to have just 1 that does it all.
post #376 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the Pioneer is the only one that does that currently and I'm absolutely sure that EWL5 will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

-CB

Yes, that is correct. Pioneer has sole ownership of video source direct at the moment. Sony players used to until the latest generation which Pioneer no longer makes for them.

The reason I'm quick to correct is only because I'd like the most accurate info possible to be transmitted via the media. I had to correct Henning of DVDTOWN.COM when he thought it wasn't possible to hear the lossless codecs before the bitstreaming players came out. I informed him that HD-DVD players had decoding capability of TrueHD and were able to transmit PCM from the player. The user simply needed HDMI 1.1+ compliant receiver that accepts multichannel LPCM to hear the lossless. Most people know this now but there were a lot of people who thought the same way Henning did.

I'm not an owner but I'll thank you for all the helpful info you've been providing to others recently.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #377 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten View Post

Just in case my message was glossed over :

"Guys, I need your help. I went to Amazon.co.uk as I want to buy the PAL BD35 but they are not able to ship to South Africa. Are there any other places you can recommend I go to buy the PAL BD-35 and who ships to South Africa ? Many thanks."

Regards,

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post14890939

bhphoto.com
post #378 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRuz View Post

Thanks for the reply. Yes, secondary audio IS off. The Onkyo is still only indicating Dolby D and Dolby PLII. It sounds wonderful, but like all of us, we want the best sound possible. A little reassurance from seeeing the True HD light up makes us warm and fuzzy. Anything else you might suggest would be grateful.

Double check you have both digital audio outputs set to bitstream.
post #379 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 09:23 AM

Quaxtros, thank you for the link !

Regards,
post #380 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 09:24 AM

Albert George, sorry I actually glossed over your post. Thank you for answering my question !

Regards,
post #381 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 09:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundstage28 View Post

This problem may just be related to that movie title.

Yup. People reported the same issue on the BD50 with Starship Troopers. No SD card, no play. Now if only an SD card would actually make the 2nd and 3rd ST movies *better* then we'd be in business!

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #382 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 09:30 AM

Although it doesn't state if the BD35 is PAL or not on the bhphoto.com website unless I seriously missed something.

Regards,
post #383 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yup. Pelople reported the same issue on the BD50 with Starship Troopers. No SD card, no play. Now if only an SD card would actually make the 2nd and 3rd ST movies *better* then we'd be in business!

-CB

Yeah, if they could somehow download "deleted scenes" featuring Denise Richards onto the SD card, that would make the last 2 movies better!

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #384 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman56 View Post

My AVR decodes DTS-HD MA. It sounds like the DVD playback is excellent with the BD35/55, so I may sell off my other two players to have just 1 that does it all.

Go with the 35. I believe AV quality over HDMI is identical b/w the two players. I also read that the 35 performs better than the 30 on DVD as well.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #385 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Yup. Pelople reported the same issue on the BD50 with Starship Troopers. No SD card, no play. Now if only an SD card would actually make the 2nd and 3rd ST movies *better* then we'd be in business!

-CB

the second one wasent that bad, more like a "the thing" rip off. the third one was utter crap.

(probably my last question untill i get my 55 on the 29th)can someone explain the benefits of having selectable picture modes on a player vs having a properly calebrated lcd or projector. also is it possable to use the analog outs and the hdmi at the same time(so i can hook up my headphones at night) or will i have to go into the menu and manually set them.

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #386 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm87 View Post

the second one wasent that bad, more like a "the thing" rip off. the third one was utter crap.

(probably my last question untill i get my 55 on the 29th)can someone explain the benefits of having selectable picture modes on a player vs having a properly calebrated lcd or projector.

If I understand "picture modes", you're better off leaving it at default and calibrating your display. A display with mulitple settings based on input is a plus!

BTW, nice sig!

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #387 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 09:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm87 View Post

(probably my last question untill i get my 55 on the 29th)can someone explain the benefits of having selectable picture modes on a player vs having a properly calebrated lcd or projector.

Actually, if you ask Joel Silver (ISF founder), players needs picture controls too, due to picture quality variations from sample to sample. He says you need to be able to calibrate both the source *and* the display in order to guarantee the most accurate picture.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #388 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 10:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post

Yes, that is correct. Pioneer has sole ownership of video source direct at the moment. Sony players used to until the latest generation which Pioneer no longer makes for them.

The reason I'm quick to correct is only because I'd like the most accurate info possible to be transmitted via the media. I had to correct Henning of DVDTOWN.COM when he thought it wasn't possible to hear the lossless codecs before the bitstreaming players came out. I informed him that HD-DVD players had decoding capability of TrueHD and were able to transmit PCM from the player. The user simply needed HDMI 1.1+ compliant receiver that accepts multichannel LPCM to hear the lossless. Most people know this now but there were a lot of people who thought the same way Henning did.

I'm not an owner but I'll thank you for all the helpful info you've been providing to others recently.

No problem. Was happy to share my good fortune of getting one early for review. Even beat CNET to the punch on that one which is rare.

And I have no problem standing corrected. No one is an expert on everything no matter how definitively we try to maintain that illusion.

I have an e-mail into my Samsung guy asking him to triple-check on the DTS-HD decoding issue.

Thanks,

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #389 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually, if you ask Joel Silver (ISF founder), players needs picture controls too, due to picture quality variations from sample to sample. He says you need to be able to calibrate both the source *and* the display in order to guarantee the most accurate picture.

-CB

True, but the adjustment at the source should be fairly limited. My idea of "picture modes" would be analagous to DSP effects in the AVR/pre-pro like "SCI-FI", "ACTION", "CONCERT", etc. It only adds coloration and not what the original artist/director intended.

Is this about what "picture mode" is for video on these Pannys or am I off base here?

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #390 of 14982 Old 10-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I just picked up the 55 from CC( only one in stock) and will be setting it up Sunday, and was wondering if someone could post some quick settings, to get started, then I can tweak things..
I thought I had read a while back something about Secondary audio settings...
I will be hooking up with the Analog 5.1, and Component..No HDMI as of now....
Thanks for the help...
I'm upgrading from the 10a which I was really satisfied with but want the upgrade for both lossless audio options....
Rick

RickP.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bh200 Super Blu Blu Ray Hd Dvd Combo Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page