AVS Forum banner
2M views 15K replies 2K participants last post by  dcviewer22 
#1 ·
Circuit City online has gotten the new Panasonic players in a bit earlier than expected and the first orders are shipping today. Those that opted for "express" shipping (like me
) will begin receiving players on Tuesday the 14th. It is time for a new owners thread.

I have owned the previous Panasonic BD30, as well as numerous other models. I currently have the LG BH200 and PS3 in my system for comparison and I'll be posting my comments on the new Panasonic BD35.

See less See more
#2,821 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHeRe31459 /forum/post/15064775

You need at least 1GB SD card for BD-Live support. I got a 1GB SD card when I bought my BD35, it was all of $6. I put it in the BD35, had it format the card, and it should be BD Live ready now. I haven't tested it yet though, none the titles I have currently are BD Live enabled.

How to you do the formatting? I put a 1GB SD card in, and I can press the SD button to see an empty list of photos, but I can't tell that it formatted anything. I haven't tried any BD Live discs yet to know if this will work.

Is there actually another step to take?

#2,822 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Barthel /forum/post/15068446

Has anyone had problems playing any of the Bond movies on the 35, particularly For Your Eyes Only, Thunderball or From Russia With Love?

Since the answer is about 10 pages back now, I'll repeat it: There's a thread about the Bond problem in the BluRay Software area here; and on 10/25 Ralph Potts posted that he got all six Bond BRs to play on his BD-55. Going by the date, that would be on the 'original' firmware.

#2,823 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 /forum/post/15065662

So (other than test tones) are you getting multi-channel analog out with HDMI audio still ON? I know a few people have said they are (and it worked for me) but some are still having trouble with that.

-CB

I have HDMI audio on and am using the multi-channel analog inputs and I do get sound from all 7 speakers while playing Dark City. I did not go back and check the test tones. I now have the HDMI running direct to my TV and I can get sound from the player to the TV. I am on 1.5 of firmware. For whatever it is worth, I have secondary audio off and bitstream is on.

#2,824 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvearl /forum/post/15067529

I thought that 4:2:2 is only on D5 Tape masters? Meaning it does not matter what the player thinks it can output right? DVD and BD media are mastered in 4:2:0. That's what comes out?

Link... http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/ca...vels-xvycc-rgb

Blu-ray and HD DVD movie formats are limited to 8-bit 4:2:0 YCbCr. To our knowledge, there is no move to add xvYCC expanded color capability to the BD-ROM specification. In addition, issues of backwards compatibility would be extremely difficult to overcome, rendering any new 10-bit or higher formats unplayable on legacy BD players. The only solution would be to take advantage of larger BD storage media and issue discs with dual data streams for video (double sided or dual layer if you will).

Currently, Hollywood films are telecined directly to digital, with masters stored on D5 tape in 10-bit 4:2:2 format. While this is better than the 8-bit 4:2:0 present on current media, it's still not 12- or 16-bit Deep Color or even utilizing the xvYCC color space. Without mastering and the ability to store xvYCC on source material (other than games which are generated via PC video cards) it seems that xvYCC is largely a marketing gimmick, save the new lines of camcorders, etc which boast 10-bit recording and xvYCC support. Somehow, eliminating the occasional color banding in home movies isn't exactly the incredible leap in technology for which most of us were hoping.

That 4:2:0 you're mentioning is how the data is stored on the disc, but it's not how the player outputs it. IIRC, HDMI-equipped displays can accept YCbCr (4:4:4 or 4:2:2) or RGB (4:2:2) depending on the display. Players therefore have to convert the 4:2:0 from the disc to whatever format the display is requesting. I tend to think of it as a type of "deinterlacing" for the color portions of the signal.

#2,826 ·
Got my BD55 from Amazon and i'm loving it!!

Quick question....I'm using a Denon 2809ci and when i receive DD TrueHD a blue "trueHD" emblem comes on. When i watch Batman Begins on DD TrueHD, no light. BUT when i do the same for 300, the light comes on?!! Is it a faulty Batman Begin Blu-ray disc?

Have there been cases of Blu-Ray movies citing TrueHD but not delivering?

#2,827 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 /forum/post/15067766

At this point I have to say it sounds like one of the two components is defective. If you can try this at a friend's house, try the player with a different TV and see if it does the same thing with no changes to the settings. Preferably try it with a similar TV. You could also swap out the player for a new one and see if it improves. But it sounds like a flaw and probably not something set incorrectly.

-CB

Maybe its the tv. Have problems whit it (shows purple snakes). But i only see this problem when watching a blu-ray movie (all the blu-ray movies i watched, have not tried a dvd movie yet) so i thought it was the bd55. The tv is going to service on wednesday, see if the problem is still there when it comes back. Think they will upgrade the firmware on the tv.

#2,829 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHeRe31459 /forum/post/15064775

You need at least 1GB SD card for BD-Live support. I got a 1GB SD card when I bought my BD35, it was all of $6. I put it in the BD35, had it format the card, and it should be BD Live ready now. I haven't tested it yet though, none the titles I have currently are BD Live enabled.

you got ripped off.

newegg has 4gb SDHC cards for about 9 bucks...I bought a kingston 8gb SDHC card for 16

#2,830 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary /forum/post/15054554

mine arrived yesterday...SDHC card arriving in the next day or two...BR movies from the deal sometime soon I hope. I didn't have much time last night, so I hooked it up, popped in a SD DVD and it looked good. sounded like it could be tweaked a little better.

I likely won't get to play with many settings until Sunday, but if anyone can recommend the best setup changes I should make for the player I would really appreciate it.

BD55, connected via HDMI to an Onkyo 806 7.1 receiver. only setup as a 5.1 system at the moment. HDMI from the receiver to an older Samsung DLP that's 720p/1080i.

I have to upgrade the firmware on the BD55, but after that, any advice on the settings to choose for audio and video?

:bump:

what audio settings should I select given my setup? I don't have the receiver passing sound on to the tv...

#2,833 ·
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the 35 and am looking for some input from this thread...

I have an Onkyo 606 and I've heard that there may be some flicker problems with the 35 and the 606? I've cruised this thread (and the Onkyo 606 thread) looking for any more comments on it...any input would be greatly appreciated! (I have a 46" Vizio TV)

On an aside...this sounds like a great BD player....it got great reviews...and it looks like a good product according to this thread.

#2,834 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtut /forum/post/15068723

How to you do the formatting? I put a 1GB SD card in, and I can press the SD button to see an empty list of photos, but I can't tell that it formatted anything. I haven't tried any BD Live discs yet to know if this will work.

Is there actually another step to take?

It's on page 16 of the manual;

With the SD card inserted on the BD player SD card slot, press FUNCTIONS on the remote, select "To Others", then go to "Card Management"

HTH.

#2,835 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary /forum/post/15069485

:bump:

what audio settings should I select given my setup? I don't have the receiver passing sound on to the tv...

If you want to get the Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA logos on your receiver, then select bitstream for DTS and Dolby in the Digital Audio Output menu option and turn Secondary Audio OFF (with Secondary Audio ON it will send the lossy audio formats when you have menu clicks on the disc or Secondary Audio in the stream). But with Secondary Audio OFF you won't get audio from PiP commentary (BonusView content).

If you set it to PCM instead, then you can leave Secondary Audio ON and the BD55 will extract the encoded PCM track from DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD, and mix in the menu clicks or Secondary Audio when it is present without having to resort to the lossy audio tracks. This is more important for titles with menu clicks than it is for Secondary Audio since BonusView comentary tends to lower the main soundtrack in the mix so much that it doesn't much matter whether you're getting it in full lossless surround that that point.

-CB

#2,836 ·
Is the BD55 supposed to matrix 5.1 audio to the surround rears. I thought it was supposed to but can't get it to. I have a 7.1 non-HDMI Yamaha RX1400 receiver connected by analog inputs. I have to select the multi-channel input on the receiver for audio from the BD player but get no rear surround sound. I have the BD player set for 7.1 output and have tried everything on the receiver to get the rear surround channels to matrix with no results. The receiver has no problem matrixing 7.1 audio when playing SD DVD's through my regular DVD player but not a blu-ray. That means I have to play regular DVD's through my regular DVD player if I want 7.1 simulated audio. I thought I'd ask here first before getting help in the receiver forum just incase this player does not matrix 5.1 into 7.1. Any suggestions?

#2,838 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTimp /forum/post/15070456

Is the BD55 supposed to matrix 5.1 audio to the surround rears. I thought it was supposed to but can’t get it to. I have a 7.1 non-HDMI Yamaha RX1400 receiver connected by analog inputs. I have to select the multi-channel input on the receiver for audio from the BD player but get no rear surround sound. I have the BD player set for 7.1 output and have tried everything on the receiver to get the rear surround channels to matrix with no results. The receiver has no problem matrixing 7.1 audio when playing SD DVD’s through my regular DVD player but not a blu-ray. That means I have to play regular DVD’s through my regular DVD player if I want 7.1 “simulated” audio. I thought I’d ask here first before getting help in the receiver forum just incase this player does not matrix 5.1 into 7.1. Any suggestions?

According to the manual, the BD55 "amplifies" dts-MA 5.1 to 7.1. (I don't have the manual in front of me and don't remember whether other DTS formats are included.) It is not clear whether amplification means matrixing or simply surround duplication. But, that's the only 7.1 expansion you'll get from the player. It's not a user setting. Check the chart on p8.

#2,839 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nin1974 /forum/post/15069093

Got my BD55 from Amazon and i'm loving it!!

Quick question....I'm using a Denon 2809ci and when i receive DD TrueHD a blue "trueHD" emblem comes on. When i watch Batman Begins on DD TrueHD, no light. BUT when i do the same for 300, the light comes on?!! Is it a faulty Batman Begin Blu-ray disc?

Have there been cases of Blu-Ray movies citing TrueHD but not delivering?

NEVERMIND. Figured it out. Turned off Secondary Audio Option and getting SWEET TrueHD now on Batman Begins!

#2,840 ·
I have a similiar question as "nin1974." When playing a BD encoded in TrueHD, should there be some type of indicator on the display of the BD-35 that indicates such? I ask because I have played so far (2) movies encoded in TrueHD, but there has been no such indicator on the front display of my 35. And of course my RX-V661's display doesn't show it because it doesn't decode the new codecs.

Ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.