Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

English
Multi-channel
TrueHD

Yes, I know what I'm really asking is if the audio button from the remote and then shown on the screen is indicating that it is active for both multi-channel and in TrueHD mode? Thanks.

It's all just a game. I just play to win.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

Is the improved 'analog output section' for audio or video or both?

I believe it's only for audio, but if you're going to be using HDMI anyway, it's totally irrelevant - the signal is all digital, so unless you're getting dropouts (in which case, replace the HDMI cable), everything will "just work".
post #4323 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanesq View Post

Yes, I know what I'm really asking is if the audio is indicating that is active for both multi-channel and in TrueHD mode? Thanks.

It's indicating that the TrueHD stream has a multichannel audio configuration (5.1 or 7.1); are you trying to ask if that means it's pulling multiple primary audio streams off the disc? If so, that's not it at all, it's just indicating whether it's mono, stereo or multichannel audio.
post #4324 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 08:26 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Way back before the "BD50" was scheduled for release, it was thought that you needed the BD50 because the other players would not decode the DTS MA and send it LPCM 7.1 over HDMI. So to be sure, I don't need decoders in my SR9600 receiver. I can use the BD35 and an HDMI cable and send DTS MA decoded as LPCM 7.1 to my Marantz SR9600?

That is useful.
post #4325 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Way back before the "BD50" was scheduled for release, it was thought that you needed the BD50 because the other players would not decode the DTS MA and send it LPCM 7.1 over HDMI. So to be sure, I don't need decoders in my SR9600 receiver. I can use the BD35 and an HDMI cable and send DTS MA decoded as LPCM 7.1 to my Marantz SR9600?

Correct.

Go Duke !
post #4326 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Way back before the "BD50" was scheduled for release, it was thought that you needed the BD50 because the other players would not decode the DTS MA and send it LPCM 7.1 over HDMI.

With prior iterations, that was the case. However, with these latest players, they're the same basic platform, so they share nearly all features, including the in-player decoding.

Quote:

So to be sure, I don't need decoders in my SR9600 receiver. I can use the BD35 and an HDMI cable and send DTS MA decoded as LPCM 7.1 to my Marantz SR9600?

As long as it supports multichannel LPCM (which if your HD-DVD player worked with it before, it obviously does), then you don't need the receiver to decode them. Like I said, it's what I'm doing now, and it works flawlessly for everything.
post #4327 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonfoo View Post

It's indicating that the TrueHD stream has a multichannel audio configuration (5.1 or 7.1); are you trying to ask if that means it's pulling multiple primary audio streams off the disc? If so, that's not it at all, it's just indicating whether it's mono, stereo or multichannel audio.

Yes demonfoo, I just got the unit last night so thanks very much for the reply.
So yes, I know it should be multichannel, it's playing nicely through a 2.1 system and the sub is very active.

My question is it coming out in the TrueHD stream too?
It certainly does sound very good.

Thanks again for your reply. Finally moved the home theater from HD-DVD to BR. It was time.

post #4328 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

I disagree that ext warranties are "never" worth it. If you invest a few thousand bucks in a tv or rcvr and plan on keeping it for a long time, no problem with getting a good deal on a 3-4 year warranty. These BR players however, are so cheap, why sweat buying an ext warranty on them.

I agree. However, IMO many would be better served buying their extended warranties through Mack Warranty or the like rather than Circuit city. They are usually much cheaper, and their warranty takes effect after the manufacturers warranty expires, not concurrently.

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #4329 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post

I'm using a Linksys WRT54G2 with DD-WRT firmware (micro version) as a wireless bridge with my BD35 and HD-XA2 HD-DVD player. Works great!

Did you just follow these directions? I'm a little confused how these directions need to be modified to work with my BD-35 and HD-A2. For example, do you first need to get the router configured properly by connecting it to a computer? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
post #4330 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My question is it coming out in the TrueHD stream too?
It certainly does sound very good.

That would depend on how you have it hooked up; HDMI? Optical? Analog? To a receiver, or direct to a TV? The only thing that pressing the "Audio" button will tell you is what's coming off the disc; the details of transmitting the format to the display device vary depending on what's connected and how. If it's HDMI and to a receiver, it's probably being folded down to 2 channels in the receiver, otherwise the mixdown would occur in the player. Either way, the digital audio handling of these units does seem to be quite good. Regardless of the details, as long as it sounds good to you... that's what matters, right?
post #4331 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halsan40 View Post

I have a Yamaha RX-V2500 and very efficient Klipsch speakers with a SVS PB12/Plus 12 900W sub so the level isn't a problem for me. It is nice to have the choice though when you set up a movie to watch.

Do you have the BD35 or 55? I am trying to decide which one to get to give me the best sound and I also have the Yamaha RX-V2500.
post #4332 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAsk View Post

Chris is right, wait for it......again. I had trouble with the Monoprice HDX-501 and the BD55K. I ordered the Monoprice 1.3b compliant HDX-401E and all is right with the world. They have even come down in price in the last few weeks. Now under $30. Here is the link.....

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Forgive me if this is a dumb question but this is the first I am hearing about the HDMI switchers. How exactly does that work? With a Yamaha RX-V2500 Receiver would that enable me to get the BD35 and solve the no HDMI on the Yamaha problem, or should I still get the BD55 for the better sound?
post #4333 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That would depend on how you have it hooked up; HDMI? Optical? Analog? To a receiver, or direct to a TV? The only thing that pressing the "Audio" button will tell you is what's coming off the disc; the details of transmitting the format to the display device vary depending on what's connected and how. If it's HDMI and to a receiver, it's probably being folded down to 2 channels in the receiver, otherwise the mixdown would occur in the player. Either way, the digital audio handling of these units does seem to be quite good. Regardless of the details, as long as it sounds good to you... that's what matters, right?

Yes agree absolutely, the sound and the picture are very good. I have analog cables running to a PS Audio GCP preamp and then to a digital NHT Xd system (amplifier{s}).
My understanding is that without a receiver, the lossless options aren't produced. I was wondering if the NHT Xd system was in fact somehow doing so?

My Toshiba HD-A1 had some nice audio adjustments available for the 2.1 system but not the video options as the Panny 35. During Iron Man I saw the video options and it was cool to go to "Fine" on my 106" screen via JVC-RS-1.

So I was just wondering if in fact the TrueHD shown on screen when hitting the audio button was in fact accurate for my digital system?

Thanks so much for your replies. I had posted inquiries awaiting the Panny (none available online yet) so appreciate getting up to speed.

post #4334 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 09:31 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Trackman and Demonfoo,

Ok, that's a wrap on the HDMI audio details

thanks!
post #4335 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes agree absolutely, the sound and the picture are very good. I have analog cables running to a PS Audio GCP preamp and then to a digital NHT Xd system (amplifier{s}).
My understanding is that without a receiver, the lossless options aren't produced. I was wondering if the NHT Xd system was in fact somehow doing so?

It does decode and use the lossless version if you're using PCM mode and a digital transport, or the analog outputs. I'm a bit confused by how you say you have it connected though - you have analog out to your preamp, then a digital connection from the preamp to the amplifier? In that case, digital signals in the Panny wouldn't even enter the equation. But yes, if my understanding of your setup is right, the player is definitely decoding the TrueHD stream for its output.
post #4336 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It does decode and use the lossless version if you're using PCM mode and a digital transport, or the analog outputs. I'm a bit confused by how you say you have it connected though - you have analog out to your preamp, then a digital connection from the preamp to the amplifier? In that case, digital signals in the Panny wouldn't even enter the equation. But yes, if my understanding of your setup is right, the player is definitely decoding the TrueHD stream for its output.

Yes, settings are PCM mode and the analog outputs go to a two channel stereo preamp by PS Audio (GCP 200) and then to the digital amplifier (by NHT).

The Xd was a three company three year development so the main digital amplifier transmits and there are more digital amps in both the speakers and the subs, all digital as well.

Just trying to understand this too. In the 2.1 system, all I can say is that Iron Man and Cloverfield were excellent.
Thanks again for your replies. I was feeling very lonely with my queries not being in the receiver club.

post #4337 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 10:50 AM

With my non HDMI Marantz 8000 reciever, using a Panny 55 (which I haven't ordered yet) with HDMI going directly to a TV but using optical or analog from the 55 to my receiver, will I have sync issues with the sound not matching the picture?
post #4338 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportX View Post

With my non HDMI Marantz 8000 reciever, using a Panny 55 (which I haven't ordered yet) with HDMI going directly to a TV but using optical or analog from the 55 to my receiver, will I have sync issues with the sound not matching the picture?

Very doubtful, many people run their players this way.
post #4339 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-nonsense View Post

I had the same problem until I installed the 1.5 firmware update, if you haven't done that, you should, if you have and that wasn't the answer, well then I don't know what to say

That's an interesting thought. When I played Iron Man I was at 1.2 (factory installed firmware), and I haven't rechecked since I did the update to 1.5. I'll check into that, thanks.
post #4340 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider33 View Post

Very doubtful, many people run their players this way.

Cool. Thanks
post #4341 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

My Pan 35 just came and before i put it on the rack for hookup, should i go ahead and get the latest firmware from Pan and load it? I think that might be easier over by the puter before i get it hooked into the Pioneer 92 receiver and plasma or is firmware ok that comes on it.
post #4342 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris_tn View Post

My Pan 35 just came and before i put it on the rack for hookup, should i go ahead and get the latest firmware from Pan and load it? I think that might be easier over by the puter before i get it hooked into the Pioneer 92 receiver and plasma or is firmware ok that comes on it.

Just got my unit yesterday so I was in the same boat as you. I have a second Apple Airport Express in my Home Theater on the network so I connected the ethernet cable direct to the back of the Pan 35 and when I went into firmware all the settings entered automatically from my network.

I then went ahead and ran through the screens and saw I was on firmware 1.3 and 1.5 was available. Went ahead and just did it. It took about 10 minutes to complete and showed the percentage done then reboot and was done.

Worked perfectly. Good luck whichever route you choose.

post #4343 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 11:43 AM

The manual for the BD-55 says that DVD-Audio discs cannot be played. I am finding that they can - Elton John's Yellow Brick Road and Aaron Neville's Believe. Why would the manual say that?

" No, I think if that was true I would have read about it somewhere."
post #4344 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooey View Post

The manual for the BD-55 says that DVD-Audio discs cannot be played. I am finding that they can - Elton John's Yellow Brick Road and Aaron Neville's Believe. Why would the manual say that?

Many DVD-Audio discs include DVD-Video versions as well. Perhaps that's what is being played.
post #4345 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonf View Post

Do you have the BD35 or 55? I am trying to decide which one to get to give me the best sound and I also have the Yamaha RX-V2500.

I have the BD55

Please check my answer on post #4302.

I am planning to watch Black Hawk Down this weekend. Maybe I will have a better answer then.

Right now my humble advice would be that you probably won't hear a $100 difference.

Hal
post #4346 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 01:01 PM

Hey everyone I just got the panny 35k. I have a question though, I have the Iron Man bluray movie and when im trying to connect to BD-Live it tells me that its not connected to the internet, but it is. I upgraded the firmware on my panny and I also tested the connection and it passed. Has anyone come up with this problem? What should I do to fix it? Thanks.
post #4347 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalkilla408 View Post

Hey everyone I just got the panny 35k. I have a question though, I have the Iron Man bluray movie and when im trying to connect to BD-Live it tells me that its not connected to the internet, but it is. I upgraded the firmware on my panny and I also tested the connection and it passed. Has anyone come up with this problem? What should I do to fix it? Thanks.

Did you install an SD card in your BD35? Is the option in the settings that controls BD-Live functionality set to disable for all? Might check those.
post #4348 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 01:13 PM

Go to the Crutchfield website and you can download the manual (one manual for both BD35 & BD55 machines)
post #4349 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalkilla408 View Post

If your BD-Live setting is OK and your SD card is OK, try setting the BD35 primary DNS to 208.67.222.222 and secondary DNS to 208.67.220.220.
post #4350 of 14982 Old 12-02-2008, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Many DVD-Audio discs include DVD-Video versions as well. Perhaps that's what is being played.

Or you might be getting the standard DD or DTS track that is often included on DVD-A discs.

Go Duke !
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bh200 Super Blu Blu Ray Hd Dvd Combo Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page