post #5131 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by straca View Post

I bought at Costco the Sony BDP-BX1 during Black Friday. Before I opened the box I found out about the Panasonic BD35AK would be on sale for about $10 more than what I paid for the Sony. I am new to BD and when I read the reviews especially on Cnet the Panasonic seems as a better machine.

I still have the Sony in the box. I am thinking of returning it and getting the Panasonic. Any suggestions?

If you're interested in fast play or frame advance, go with the BD35/55. If not, stick with the Sony. I also got the BD35 because it reads DVD RAM.

lujan
649 Blu-ray
21 HD DVD
6 DVD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5132 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by benyto View Post

I found out how to program sequences of buttons for my Harmony 880. As far as the BD35 is concerned, I can come close to creating a "SubtitleToggle" sequence, but it is limited to five actions. Therefore, a single sequence can do:

Display
DirectionRight
DirectionDown
DirectionRight
DirectionDown

That will turn subtitles on or off. However, there isn't enough room to add a final "Dislplay" action to the sequence to clear the additional window from the screen. Also, the proper subtitle language needs to be selected at some point.

This gets close but it still falls short of simple subtitle toggling on the BD35.

I programmed in this same sequence and it works well enough. I'm okay with it not having the sixth step, though. Every DVD player I've owned had a Subtitles button which would bring it up, then allow you to round-robin through the various subtitles; none of them simply toggled it, then went away. Besides, hitting the subtitle sequence button again will make it go away (the Display step removes the window from the screen and the arrow depressions don't affect anything once the window goes away). Can you nest a sequence inside another sequence? If so, this would be a way around the 5-step limit.

I set my inter-key delay to 100 ms; think I might make that a bit shorter to see if I can make this go a little quicker. Anyone know what's the shortest you can get away with and still have it work reliably?

It still boggles my mind that this is not a standard feature. I've owned several DVD players and they all had Subtitle buttons. Why do we have to take backward steps when upgrading to newer/better technology?

Brian
post #5133 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
So we stopped in the middle of a movie last night for a 20 min break (I just pushed "stop").

I was disappointed when I came back and couldn't just press "play" - the player had shut itself off. we had to wade through all the startup material and re-find our place where we stopped.

Is there a a way to increase the "time to autoshutoff" - or some way to keep the player alive?

thanks
/j
post #5134 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw_00 View Post

Is there a a way to increase the "time to autoshutoff" - or some way to keep the player alive?
thanks
/j

I don't recall my player ever shutting itself off.

to each his own...
post #5135 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post

I programmed in this same sequence and it works well enough. I'm okay with it not having the sixth step, though. Every DVD player I've owned had a Subtitles button which would bring it up, then allow you to round-robin through the various subtitles; none of them simply toggled it, then went away. Besides, hitting the subtitle sequence button again will make it go away (the Display step removes the window from the screen and the arrow depressions don't affect anything once the window goes away). Can you nest a sequence inside another sequence? If so, this would be a way around the 5-step limit.

I set my inter-key delay to 100 ms; think I might make that a bit shorter to see if I can make this go a little quicker. Anyone know what's the shortest you can get away with and still have it work reliably?

It still boggles my mind that this is not a standard feature. I've owned several DVD players and they all had Subtitle buttons. Why do we have to take backward steps when upgrading to newer/better technology?

Are you using the bd 30 or bd35 template?
Joel
post #5136 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw_00 View Post

So we stopped in the middle of a movie last night for a 20 min break (I just pushed "stop").

I was disappointed when I came back and couldn't just press "play" - the player had shut itself off. we had to wade through all the startup material and re-find our place where we stopped.

thanks
/j

The shortest off timer on the 55 is 2 hours. I don't think the player shut off. It's well known that Java BDs cannot be stopped and restarted at the same point. After being punished a few times with having to restart and go through all the stuff to get back where you were, you'll learn to hit the pause for breaks, not the stop.
post #5137 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 07:19 AM

just owned bd55 and planning to get a sd card.......anyone please advise what's the max capacity I can put in.....plan to buy 4gb...hdsc Kingston....is it going to be compatible?????????????

and if I want to play an avchd file from sd card....do I have to create any directory? or place them in the root

thanks
post #5138 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryoops View Post

just owned bd55 and planning to get a sd card.......anyone please advise what's the max capacity I can put in.....plan to buy 4gb...hdsc Kingston....is it going to be compatible?????????????

and if I want to play an avchd file from sd card....do I have to create any directory? or place them in the root

thanks

The manual is your friend. Page 7 (SD cards). SDHC from 4 GB to 32 GB.
post #5139 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 07:52 AM

I just picked up a bd35 and need direction on settings. Should I keep settings almost neutral on the blu ray player and make all picture adjustments at the monitor, and all sound adjustments at the reciever? Are are there settings that should also be done at the bd35. My connections are all thru the hdmi cable set with the disc player doing audio decoding, though I can do sound decoding at my Pioneer 91txh reciever if that would be beneficial.
post #5140 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Are you using the bd 30 or bd35 template?
Joel

I'm using the BD30 template.

Brian
post #5141 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxleung View Post

My replacement BD55 is quieter - but there is still a whirring noise that is audible from 10 feet away (but not as bad as the previous unit).

It is almost silent after about 15-20 minutes, but depending on the disc it will get louder.

This makes sense, when you realize that the disc spins faster when playing from the inside tracks, and the spinning is slower as the tracks get wider. On a dual-layer movie, this usually means that the movie will start loud for 20 or so minutes, get quieter, than gradually get louder again after the layer change (spins from outside to inside).

My solution is to place the BD55 in a glass cabinet.

Thanks Max. I'm beginning to think that this is normal for these players and that getting a replacement won't make a difference. I have mine in a cabinet and still hear it with sound muted, but it's not the kind of sound that would drive me nuts like a buzz or hum. I'll give it week or so and see how things go.
post #5142 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredT View Post

Thanks Max. I'm beginning to think that this is normal for these players and that getting a replacement won't make a difference. I have mine in a cabinet and still hear it with sound muted, but it's not the kind of sound that would drive me nuts like a buzz or hum. I'll give it week or so and see how things go.

My BD55 is pretty loud for an optical media player.

It bothered me during opening credits when there was no sound, but I forgot about it one the movie started.
post #5143 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason978 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason978
The whirring noise is also disk dependent. Some disks it's quiet start to finish some it starts noisy then quiets down.

I did some checking on the disks I have,

Elf starts noisy, noise is gone by chap. 4

stargate starts noisy, noise is gone by chap. 4

star wars: the clone wars starts noisy, noise is gone by chap. 8(about 12minutes in)

Terminator 2starts noisy, noise is gone by chap. 8

Polar express the new 3d disk that came out, it has both 2d and 3d versions
2D version is quiet from start to finsh
3D starts noisy, noise is gone by chap. 4.

Can anyone else check any of these disks if they have them.

Anyone??

Jason, I don't have any of those disks, but the behavior described is typical of every one that I've played: start out noisy then quiet by 10 to 20 minutes.
post #5144 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredT View Post

The whirling sound is not normal, to an extent. You should hear a bit of noise at start up but it should go quiet by the time the movie starts. The first bd35 I bought was loud, I exchanged it and the new one is much quieter. You should not be able to hear any noise 10 to 15 feet away. I have to put my ear within about 1ft. to 1 1/2ft. away to hear anything. I would keep exchanging until I found a quiet one (that's just my opinion).
post #5145 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG707 View Post

The whirling sound is not normal, to an extent. You should hear a bit of noise at start up but it should go quiet by the time the movie starts. The first bd35 I bought was loud, I exchanged it and the new one is much quieter. You should not be able to hear any noise 10 to 15 feet away. I have to put my ear within about 1ft. to 1 1/2ft. away to hear anything. I would keep exchanging until I found a quiet one (that's just my opinion).

Absolutely. I have to have my ear about 1 foot away from the player to hear the disc spinning even when the disc is first loaded. I have never heard my 55 from my viewing position about 10-11 feet away with either sd dvd or blu-ray discs.
post #5146 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason978 View Post

The whirring noise is also disk dependent. Some disks it's quiet start to finish some it starts noisy then quiets down.

I did some checking on the disks I have,

Elf starts noisy, noise is gone by chap. 4

stargate starts noisy, noise is gone by chap. 4

star wars: the clone wars starts noisy, noise is gone by chap. 8(about 12minutes in)

Terminator 2starts noisy, noise is gone by chap. 8

Polar express the new 3d disk that came out, it has both 2d and 3d versions
2D version is quiet from start to finsh
3D starts noisy, noise is gone by chap. 4.

Can anyone else check any of these disks if they have them.

OK, I just tried Stargate and Terminator 2 (both from Lionsgate). My BD55 is presently out in the open, and I listened from 2-3 feet away with the TV volume turned completely down. Both discs make clunking and whirring/rushing sounds when displaying menus. (I think all discs do that.) After that, both discs continue to make a whirring/rushing sound that gets softer and softer from one chapter to the next. It is nearly inaudible by about 45 minutes into each movie (roughly chapter 13), but of course the exact point of inaudibility is debatable.

While I was at it, I also tried Iron Man. It takes longer to boot, but it is quieter once it starts playing and almost inaudible by chapter 3.

These sounds are similar to what I hear from all computer optical disc drives. When reading near the start of the disc (toward the center) the disc is spinning fastest, hence the whirring sound. As reading progresses further and further out toward the edge, the disc slows down, and the whirring sound diminishes.

If things like extras are placed out further on the disc, they will cause less drive noise, but the feature placed at the start of the disc will cause more whirring. If some of the extras are located physically ahead of the feature, then the feature may play with less audible whirring. That could account for some differences between discs.

We would all rather our players be completely silent, of course, but I don't find anything I've heard to be particularly worrisome, maybe because I've been dealing with computer drives for many years.
post #5147 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post

I programmed in this same sequence and it works well enough. I'm okay with it not having the sixth step, though. Every DVD player I've owned had a Subtitles button which would bring it up, then allow you to round-robin through the various subtitles; none of them simply toggled it, then went away.

Yes, in the past the subtitle button on my DVD players had the same behavior. It would cycle through the subtitles, including an "off" setting. I believe that may be why this is so problematic for the BD35. It has two separate subtitle functions: 1) On/Off; 2) Cycle languages. This would require two different buttons on the remote to handle what was previously handled by one.

Quote:
Besides, hitting the subtitle sequence button again will make it go away (the Display step removes the window from the screen and the arrow depressions don't affect anything once the window goes away). Can you nest a sequence inside another sequence? If so, this would be a way around the 5-step limit.

I noticed the same thing with hitting my sequence button twice. I'm glad I chose to use "DirectionDown" for my final step. If I had chosen "DirectionUp" for the final step hitting the button twice would cause the pop-up menu to show. Also, I have re-ordered my buttons to put the "Display" button directly above the "SubtitleToggle" button so it is easy enough to hit both of them.

The nesting question was one that I wondered about as well. When I was playing with this over the weekend I did not see a way to make that work. When selecting a device for a sequence step it would only list my physical devices, not sequences.

Quote:

I have the same delay set for mine. Perhaps I'll play around with lowering that to zero and working my way up until it works reliably.

Quote:

I feel the same way. In fact I was so surprised that subtitles seemed to be such a pain on my BD35 that I held off posting about it until I felt I had researched it enough and tried everything I could think of to be sure nothing had been overlooked.
post #5148 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straca View Post

I bought at Costco the Sony BDP-BX1 during Black Friday. Before I opened the box I found out about the Panasonic BD35AK would be on sale for about $10 more than what I paid for the Sony. I am new to BD and when I read the reviews especially on Cnet the Panasonic seems as a better machine.

I still have the Sony in the box. I am thinking of returning it and getting the Panasonic. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of grabbing the BD35 myself. The ability to do all codecs from the player is interesting to me but not a requirement since my Onkyo can decode all codecs. I find it interesting since I PIP/2ndary audio can only happen when decoded on the player. I hear it has brightness setting which may help brighten up the THX setting on my Panny plasma when viewing during th day.
post #5149 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by auskck View Post

No fear will get it running
PG 28 of the manual: HDMI Video Format
Set the format to the max res of your PJ (For you it is 720P)
If this works you can re interface through your 805
In addition read your PJ manual regrading the DVI input (it maybe for RGB input only- Had the same problem with Westinghouse monitor)
This is a Data type PJ not a HT type.
Your only other options is component connection which will work through your 805 (you should be able to get 720P)
BD35 does not up convert using component.....

If he's using an HDMI-DVI adapter, he may also want to ditch it and go with an HDMI-DVI cable instead. On another forum I frequent, folks with older CRT projectors who are using HDMI/DVI-RGBHV converters have had issues with these types of adapters. Usually, changing to an HDMI-DVI cable squares things away.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #5150 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benyto View Post

I have the same delay set for mine. Perhaps I'll play around with lowering that to zero and working my way up until it works reliably.

Please let us know what you find on the delay setting (I've got a lot going on right now, so trying to narrow this down myself wouldn't happen for a while). If the delay could be cut down significantly (say to 50 ms), I think I could be happy with this work around. It's just a little too plodding right now.

Brian
post #5151 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 10:17 AM

Oh, that is good to know about the adapter, Rolls-Royce.

Here's a related cable question: I am using a HDMI 1.1 cable from BD35 to AV receiver, then a HDMI-to-DVI from AV receiver to HDTV. Does it at all make sense to buy the HDMI 1.3 cables? I could replace the 1st cable with HDMI 1.3 but would still have the HDMI-to-DVI cable at the back end. I could also replace *both* cables with HDMI 1.3 but then would have to stick an adapter at the end.

Any opinions? I'm not sure what makes the most sense...
post #5152 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

i haven't tried the player as an upscaler for dvds yet. how is it?

Windows 7 Home Premium, Intel Core i7 920@2.67ghz, 1.5TB HDDx2, 8GB DDR3@1066mhz, Nvidia Geforce GT220
post #5153 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 10:38 AM

Liked: 16
Is it still necessary to calibrate the speaker and sub volumes in the BD35 setup when using HDMI cables and the BD35 is doing the decoding? The reason I am asking is my system is already calibrated via SPL meter. Also I am currently using a phantom center, so would I still enjoy benefits from the latest and greatest surround modes. So that is two questions. Thanks alot! I love these forums!
post #5154 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

I humbly defer to your superior education in this specific area. No really. I edited the post earlier with a caveat in there that using a Y adapter on the outputs might not be the best idea.

Thanks,

-CB

Boylan and CB,

Thank you for the info. I am actually just going to opt for the 35, so I can save the 100 bucks and use the optical output. I am probably going to buy an entirely new setup in 3-4 years anyways, so I figured I will spend the money then. Are there a great deal of titles that support the lossless format anyways? Do all Blu-Rays support it? This is what I ran into when I bought a receiver that supported DTS EX, so that I could get six discrete channels. What I found was that there are far and few between movies that even support that standard...

Thanks!
post #5155 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG707 View Post

Thanks for that information. I guess I'll go ahead and try an exchange to see if I can get a quieter one.
post #5156 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth View Post

It seems to be comparable to my Toshiba A3 for upconverting standard DVDs. So, Very Good. Just my opinion...
post #5157 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth View Post

My comparison standard is an HD-A30 and an older Panasonic S97, and I also agree the 35/55 is a good SD player.

You will now be predisposed to see a good picture, but remember it still is only 480i. But on a good display with a well made DVD, the image is very nice.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #5158 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 289
I'm going to pick up a HD camcorder (Canon HF100) and a couple of transcend 16GB cards. Will these work ok in the BD55 for HD video playback?

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #5159 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiongDi View Post

Boylan and CB,

Thank you for the info. I am actually just going to opt for the 35, so I can save the 100 bucks and use the optical output. I am probably going to buy an entirely new setup in 3-4 years anyways, so I figured I will spend the money then. Are there a great deal of titles that support the lossless format anyways? Do all Blu-Rays support it? This is what I ran into when I bought a receiver that supported DTS EX, so that I could get six discrete channels. What I found was that there are far and few between movies that even support that standard...

Nearly all BDs have a lossless track of some sort - TrueHD, dts-MA, or PCM. Whether you find any improvement over the higher bit rate lossy versions of DD and DTS is another matter.
post #5160 of 14981 Old 12-08-2008, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

Anyone know where to find one of these under the $200 mark? I found one at Amazon when they came way down and now they shot back up again. I would love another one of these in my office or a BD30 which I see Costco had for recently $169.

Been to Costco recently? They currently have the BD35 for $199. Picked one up myself there yesterday.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bh200 Super Blu Blu Ray Hd Dvd Combo Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page