Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 14982 Old 10-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=tsx500;14899161]i am kind of confused as to how to set the secondary audio on/off with my setup... my avr is Denon 2807 which doesnt decode TrueHD, so i set the 35 to pcm . i have a 5.1 speaker setup. do i have secondary audio on or off ? also, the page 8 chart in the manual says that DTS hdMA lossless audio will be output as 7.1 ch pcm(w/secondary either on or off).

I thought the BD35 did not have multi-channel analog outputs.. only 2channel... anyway How come your not using your HDMI output to your 2807's input for LPCM... I'm looking at a UK ver. manual (page 17) shows that 7.1ch LPCM in PCM mode is Down mixed to 5.1ch PCM with BD-Video secondary audio (on) and 7.1ch PCM when its (off)..

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 14982 Old 10-19-2008, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
tsx500 -- Your AVR will handle the lack of the back surrounds correctly. You don't have to worry about having "only" a 5.1 speaker system.

Steve Carr -- You accidentally erased the ending ["/quote], so your message is garbled. But you are right. If the secondary output is selected on the BD DVD, then the result will be 5.1 channel, non-lossless output. However, if the secondary video track is not selected (on the disc being played), the full lossless 7.1 channel audio will be played.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #543 of 14982 Old 10-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Thank You... I knew something didn't look right... LOL

Steve
post #544 of 14982 Old 10-19-2008, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carr View Post

I thought the BD35 did not have multi-channel analog outputs.. only 2channel... anyway How come your not using your HDMI output to your 2807's input for LPCM... I'm looking at a UK ver. manual (page 17) shows that 7.1ch LPCM in PCM mode is Down mixed to 5.1ch PCM with BD-Video secondary audio (on) and 7.1ch PCM when its (off)..

Steve

You're right. The BD35 only has 2CH analog out. However, tsx500 is using HDMI and getting all the codecs decoded in the BD35 player and outputting MCH PCM. This "decoding all via HDMI" sets the BD35 apart from the Sony S350 that doesn't decode all. The $299 BD35 is the best standalone player you can get if you own at least an HDMI 1.1+ receiver that accepts MCH PCM over HDMI.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #545 of 14982 Old 10-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 137
If I interpreted him correctly, he is using the 2807's HDMi, he just said he has a 5.1 setup. If you are letting the player do the decoding, it doesn't matter if secondary is on or off. You still get the 5.1 lossless track either way. When you select the secondary audio on the BD, then the secondary audio is mixed into the lossless track and sent as PCM to the receiver, 5.1 for TrueHD and up to 7.1 for Master. The main track is still lossless.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #546 of 14982 Old 10-19-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post

Don't mean to burst your bubble but you could have gotten a BD35 and saved yourself some money. The BD35 decodes all and outputs PCM via HDMI to your 84 receiver. You would do the same thing with your BD55 but you paid for an analog section that you don't even need.

That's ok, it's called contingency planning when the unit gets delegated to another location with an even older AVR after the next big thing comes out :->

Now regarding my original questions...should I be using PCM all the time, what are you favorite settings on the 84, video settings, firmware upgrades, how to get the 84 to output to both TV and speakers, etc.

Thanks.
post #547 of 14982 Old 10-19-2008, 06:42 PM

Got my BD-35 hooked up to my projector and watched a new out of the package Pirates of the Carribean Curse of the Black Pearl and about 5-6 times during the movie I would lose all the video on the screen (screen went totally black) but the audio would continue. It would black out for 3-4 seconds then continue playing. Has anyone had any issues with this? I have watched other BD discs on the player with no issue's at all. I'm hoping it's just a bad disc. Any thoughts?
post #548 of 14982 Old 10-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterworx View Post

Got my BD-35 hooked up to my projector and watched a new out of the package Pirates of the Carribean Curse of the Black Pearl and about 5-6 times during the movie I would lose all the video on the screen (screen went totally black) but the audio would continue. It would black out for 3-4 seconds then continue playing. Has anyone had any issues with this? I have watched other BD discs on the player with no issue's at all. I'm hoping it's just a bad disc. Any thoughts?

More than likely not the disc. Sounds more of an HDMI handshake issue. Could be the cables. SOmplace to start with the given information.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #549 of 14982 Old 10-19-2008, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterworx View Post

Had the same problem tonite with Indiana Jones Crystal Skull. I've got the 55. Sounds like a firmware problem.
post #550 of 14982 Old 10-19-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb53 View Post

Had the same problem tonite with Indiana Jones Crystal Skull. I've got the 55. Sounds like a firmware problem.

I played "Crystal Skull" on my 35 and everything is fine. I love this unit. Superlative picture and sound, easy set-up and so far, very non-fussy with every disc I've played. This is the best $300 I've spent lately.
post #551 of 14982 Old 10-19-2008, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashingBlade View Post

That's ok, it's called contingency planning when the unit gets delegated to another location with an even older AVR after the next big thing comes out :->

Now regarding my original questions...should I be using PCM all the time, what are you favorite settings on the 84, video settings, firmware upgrades, how to get the 84 to output to both TV and speakers, etc.

Thanks.

Your BD55 should be decoding and outptting to your 84 as PCM. Make sure none of the speakers are set to SMALL in the player so that you get full range PCM. Assuming your 84 already has the LFE bug taken care of by firmware, I recommend Auto Surround for your 84's HDMI input. Video I always leave PURE and if your TV speakers must have audio from the player, just connect 2 RCA cables from the player's 2CH out straight to your TV.

I assume you know how to enable that LFE boost in the 84?

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #552 of 14982 Old 10-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheart1948 View Post

I played "Crystal Skull" on my 35 and everything is fine. I love this unit. Superlative picture and sound, easy set-up and so far, very non-fussy with every disc I've played. This is the best $300 I've spent lately.

I also played the Crystal Skull and had no problems. I have the BD55.
post #553 of 14982 Old 10-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy View Post

Ya think so...... The D2 cannot play DTS MA over bitstream. That is why the 55/PCM sounded better The upgrade for V2 is $2k. You better go and research your D2 Thank god you listed the equipment, I may have believed you

I was comparing Regular DTS to Lossless DTS MA PCM. Sorry if you are confused by my post. I bought the BD55 because it would internally decode DTS MA and Dolby Tru HD in the Blu-ray player. Comparing this to Regular Dolby Digital and DTS the sound was much better than when I played the BD30 that did not have internal decoding of the lossless codecs. I hope this makes it clear B&700guy. I know about the V2. One of the reason many D2 owners were looking at new Blu-ray players was because of the internal PCM decoding of these lossless codecs. There was a thread on this board a while back talking about whether you could tell the difference in Lossless codecs vs regular DTS & Dolby Digital. I was saying yes there is a difference and if your processor and or receiver can't decode the new lossless codecs the BD55 is great and does sound much better with the Bd55 internal decoding. That is what I meant. Sorry I wrote it wrong. Will I have to go to AVS prison now B&W?
post #554 of 14982 Old 10-19-2008, 10:04 PM
TKY

Well, things aren't going so well with the 35...

I just pulled my HD-A2 out of the system and hooked up the Panasonic. I'm having what seems to be HDMI handshaking issues. The TV(Samsung LN-S4695D) took quite a while to acquire a signal...Blu-ray player is connected to an Onkyo TX-S674. Once the signal was acquired I attempted to play Doomsday, but received the message "copyright violation". Since then I have managed to get a picture twice, but was only able to play a few minutes of the movie before getting a dropout.

I would appreciate any comments, advice, etc.
post #555 of 14982 Old 10-19-2008, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb53 View Post

I played "Skull" in bits and pieces numerous times as the first BD for testing my 55, and then one full viewing today, and I have had no problems whatsoever.
post #556 of 14982 Old 10-19-2008, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKY View Post

I just pulled my HD-A2 out of the system and hooked up the Panasonic. I'm having what seems to be HDMI handshaking issues. The TV(Samsung LN-S4695D) took quite a while to acquire a signal...Blu-ray player is connected to an Onkyo TX-S674. Once the signal was acquired I attempted to play Doomsday, but received the message "copyright violation". Since then I have managed to get a picture twice, but was only able to play a few minutes of the movie before getting a dropout.

Have you tried taking the AVR out of the path and hooking the player directly to the TV?
post #557 of 14982 Old 10-20-2008, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just picked up a 55 yesterday from local b&m store. First impressions with Spiderman, Iron Man and Patton (only blu movies I own so far) are excellent picture on my 50" PZ750 Viera. Excellent detail, lush colours and rock stable picture. Sound quality is equally impressive. Using it with older receiver with analogue connections, detail and impact is great. Set up was fairly easy, remote is ok. But one comment on build quality-very light, almost "flimsy." Has the look and feel of a cheap $50.00 dvd player. The unit is dead silent. Upconverting of standard dvd is also very impressive. Played Star Wars 3 and detail and colour were excellent with no visible signs of blocking or anything. I have a PS3 currently to compare and from my initial viewing, I think that the 55 is superior across the board. I am going to watch some more when I get home tonight, but other than the flimsy feel, Panasonic has a real winner here.
post #558 of 14982 Old 10-20-2008, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

If I interpreted him correctly, he is using the 2807's HDMi, he just said he has a 5.1 setup. If you are letting the player do the decoding, it doesn't matter if secondary is on or off. You still get the 5.1 lossless track either way. When you select the secondary audio on the BD, then the secondary audio is mixed into the lossless track and sent as PCM to the receiver, 5.1 for TrueHD and up to 7.1 for Master. The main track is still lossless.

S~

I thought that when you mix in secondary audio you will only get upto 5.1 audio output? you loose the ability to output 7.1? Am I wrong here?

jim
post #559 of 14982 Old 10-20-2008, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKY View Post

It could be your cable. Going from 1080i (A2) to 1080p (35) does increase the amount of data being sent by your cable and might push beyond the limits of a flawed cable. If taking the AVR out of the chain doesn't fix things, try swapping HDMI cables as well.
post #560 of 14982 Old 10-20-2008, 05:56 AM
TKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Have you tried taking the AVR out of the path and hooking the player directly to the TV?

The handshaking issue doesn't seem to occur when connected directly to my display. Although, I did get the "copyright violation" message, which I think is disc-related. My cables are high-quality and seem to be fine with all other devices. So far, it looks like the DMP-BD35 isn't playing nice with my receiver.
post #561 of 14982 Old 10-20-2008, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post

I was comparing Regular DTS to Lossless DTS MA PCM. Sorry if you are confused by my post. I bought the BD55 because it would internally decode DTS MA and Dolby Tru HD in the Blu-ray player. Comparing this to Regular Dolby Digital and DTS the sound was much better than when I played the BD30 that did not have internal decoding of the lossless codecs. I hope this makes it clear B&700guy. I know about the V2. One of the reason many D2 owners were looking at new Blu-ray players was because of the internal PCM decoding of these lossless codecs. There was a thread on this board a while back talking about whether you could tell the difference in Lossless codecs vs regular DTS & Dolby Digital. I was saying yes there is a difference and if your processor and or receiver can't decode the new lossless codecs the BD55 is great and does sound much better with the Bd55 internal decoding. That is what I meant. Sorry I wrote it wrong. Will I have to go to AVS prison now B&W?

It was just an odd post. Again, thank you for mentioning your equipment

My Media Room Photos:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #562 of 14982 Old 10-20-2008, 06:24 AM

Good old Uncle Bob!!!

My uncle just got his new BD55 from CC this past week, and he's so eager for my to have mine, he bought another one for me! He ordered online, and had it in four days. He said I should have mine by early next week! I'm friggin stoked! I have a Denon 5803(he has a 5800), so I just ordered my analog cables from Blue Jeans.

Strong men also cry.
post #563 of 14982 Old 10-20-2008, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post

I thought that when you mix in secondary audio you will only get upto 5.1 audio output? you loose the ability to output 7.1? Am I wrong here?

jim

TrueHD will only be 5.1. DTS Master will output at up to 7.1. p. 8 of the owner's manual.

S~

post #564 of 14982 Old 10-20-2008, 08:22 AM

You guys using Analog out, have you noticed a volume difference going from 7.1 input of your receiver to optical input? I have both inputs set at 75db but 7.1 input is quite a bit softer in volume. I have to turn it up to around -10 and 0 is reference level. With the optical out -20 is perfect.
post #565 of 14982 Old 10-20-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentSP View Post

You guys using Analog out, have you noticed a volume difference going from 7.1 input of your receiver to optical input? I have both inputs set at 75db but 7.1 input is quite a bit softer in volume. I have to turn it up to around -10 and 0 is reference level. With the optical out -20 is perfect.

in my receiver, because i am using the external analog inputs which act soley as a pre-amp with no processing, the LFE 10db boost is not applied and this is noticeable. i am not sure why the panny-55 does not apply the LFE boost internally before sending the analog signal out...(?) fortunately my receiver allows me to boost the subwoofer manually to the matched level. so, to answer your question, yes i have noticed the difference and apparently so did the author of the Sound&Vision review article. good ear.

another interesting point that is documented in the manual: every movie with dts-MA 5.1 or 6.1 (Top Gun) that i play in the panny-55 is upconverted within the player to 7.1.....not a bad thing, but i dont have a choice in the matter.
post #566 of 14982 Old 10-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

I never had something as good as a OPPO 971H for use with my old HT1000, but I did have a Panny RP82 & RP91, which were not too far below the OPPO in upscaling quality.

The RP82 didn't upscale. It could output 480p but that's about as good as it got.

I still have mine right here (although I'm trying to offload it).

Is anyone in a position to compare the SD-DVD output of the BD35/55 to that of the OPPO 983? That is the question I'm most-interested in at the moment.

"Your" isn't the same as "you're". "There", "their" and "they're" are also not the same. Please learn the difference.

And...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Thank you. :)
post #567 of 14982 Old 10-20-2008, 09:07 AM

if my tv supports 1080/24p output (which i believe it does ... Pioneer ProFHD-1 Elite) then does that mean that i should 'permanently' set the bd35's 24p-output setting to 'ON' for all BD movies ? i guess i should note that my bd35 goes thru my avr first (Denon 2807) then to tv , via hdmi. i guess maybe i should also make sure that my avr will be able to 'handle'/pass-through a 24p signal , right ? thanks ....
post #568 of 14982 Old 10-20-2008, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just an update. My BD-35 seems to be working great. Both blu-ray and regular DVD looks great so far. I have only watched one of each. I am using the PCM stream, because I have a concern with my Onkyo receiver doing the "DTS bomb" thing if I bitstream. At first I thought I would be losing something by using PCM. But the more I read on this forum, I have come to the conclusion that I still get the same quality audio which is lossless and all that stuff regardless. Even one of my menus on the BD player testified that I was getting DTS-MastersA out through the PCM setting. So far so good.

TV - Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma
L/R - Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweets in piano black
C - Ascend Sierra Horizon with RAAL Tweet in piano black
Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
post #569 of 14982 Old 10-20-2008, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I just have one question; since I have a Yamaha RX-V661 which is a HDMI capable A/V receiver, is there really any reason/need for me to get the BD-55 instead of the less expensive BD-35? Because of having the HDMI capability, I can't think of any reason why I would need to use the 55's analog outputs. Also, the reviews I've read show that both players will decode the new audio codecs (DTS MA & DolbyTru HD) internally. Am I over-looking anything here? FYI: And for what it's worth, I am also only running a DD 6.1 audio set-up.

Ken

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

post #570 of 14982 Old 10-20-2008, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sremick View Post

The RP82 didn't upscale. It could output 480p but that's about as good as it got.

Yes, no upscaling on the RP82 or RP91. I just meant to say, both players produced such nice 480i/480p source images, the HT1000 upscaling was excellent.

Regarding the 983H... I thought about buying the 983H in addition to a BD player. I decided to spend the $$$ on the DVDO Edge instead.

XBL GT:

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log:

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bh200 Super Blu Blu Ray Hd Dvd Combo Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page