Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Owners Thread - Page 204 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6091 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't find that in the manual or through the thread search. Is there any way you can jump to certain time like e.g. 1:12:00 in a DVD or in a Bluray?
If not that is very annoying...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6092 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post

Actually, Moe, calibration settings derived with an SD DVD player, at least color-wise, won't be totally valid for any HD media player, whether HD DVD or Blu-Ray. Grayscale should be the same, but HD uses a different color space from SD, with differences in red and green intensities. Ideally, you'd want to calibrate to each source.

Good point. I would have liked to do this, but didn't think it was practical. Although, each input on my TV can be calibrated - maybe I'll get one of the HD calibration DVDs and try. Post-caibration, I adjusted my HD settings slightly to the point where I felt it was as good as it could be. Applied for HD DVD and HD broadcasts. The BD35 looks good with these settings, but the picture has some different qualities.
post #6093 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
hello all,

just got the panny 55. any special setting to get the new hd surround sounds to go thur the 6-channel outputs? i'll be coming into a rotel rsp-1068 proccessor.

June
"IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
post #6094 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Thanks. I'm using 5.1 analog and cannot test this myself. But, yes, it is my understanding that DTS-HD 5.1 is "amplified" to 7.1 for PCM and analog and there's no way to turn the "feature" off. That's what the manual says and other posters have confirmed that performance in practice.

That's too bad...

It really diminishes the experience on a 7.1 system.
post #6095 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsonjune View Post

hello all,

just got the panny 55. any special setting to get the new hd surround sounds to go thur the 6-channel outputs? i'll be coming into a rotel rsp-1068 proccessor.

Please check post #6017
post #6096 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek View Post

This has been discussed several times and is in the manual:
Setup>Display>Status

Sorry... I don't think you understood my post. I wanted to know how to determine the current firmware installed on the BD55, not how to turn off automated messages.
post #6097 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 01:32 PM

A quick question on the BD55 audio settings...

I'm using a BD55 connected to an older Onkyo receiver (that does not decode HD audio) via the analog audio outputs. When playing a disc, the soundtrack setting reverts to "digital multi", which I assume is Dolby Digital (per the display menu, under signal type), and I have to manually set it to True HD multi (or whatever the best HD audio encoding is for each particular disc). Is there a setting that will automatically choose the optimal audio encoding setting when a disc is started, rather than having to change it manually?

In the setup menu, under digital audio output, I've used "PCM" for both Dolby and DTS selections.

Thanks.
post #6098 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Have you looked into the OPPO HM-31? www.oppodigital.com/hm31

Thanks, I appreciate the link.

I didn't want to spend this much, but it appears to be a very high quality switch, has been tested with the BD55, and may be the best choice.
post #6099 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

But, yes, it is my understanding that DTS-HD 5.1 is "amplified" to 7.1 for PCM and analog and there's no way to turn the "feature" off. That's what the manual says and other posters have confirmed that performance in practice.

Does Dolby PLIIx try to process it?
post #6100 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I have used the Monoprice 4x1 switch the BD30 & BD55 with no problem. They are very inexpensive and usually work well depending on the other equipment you have.
post #6101 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Does Dolby PLIIx try to process it?

That's the problem with using a forced 7.1 PCM output... you won't be able to apply post decode processing (such as DPLIIx), and are "stuck" with the dual mono surround channels that Panasonic is providing..

In the case of analog, I don't know what most AVR's will do if given a discrete input.. but even if you could apply post processing to the analog 5.1 inputs (having it ignore the other 2 channels) the surround levels will be low... this is one of the reasons I find it hard to see a reason for this kind of feature, and since it can't be defeated, it's negates some of the benefits in having a 7.1 setup with DTS 5.1 sources... a weird design choice to say the least.

EDIT... I guess a way around this would be to change the Panasonic to 5.1 every time you watched a DTS HD disc...
post #6102 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieg516 View Post

I have my bd55 hooked up with the 6 channel analog audio to my Harmon Kardon avr146. While watching movies I do not hear bass from the sub. The sub does work with other sources (using toslink). I checked the cables and nothing is loose. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Don't know if this has been answered yet (or if you figured it out), but I had a similar problem with my previous BR player. I was using the 5.1 analog outs and was not getting any sound from the sub either (my sub will turn on automatically when it senses a signal). My issue was in the reciever - when I listen to music I use 2 channel stereo without sub (I turn the sub off in the reciever). I was able to determine that this setting carried through to the analog inputs on the reciever. So, my fix was easy - I simply had to turn the sub back on in the reciever. Maybe your HK has a similar function?

DAN
post #6103 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Thanks. I've looked at their cables. The manual stresses using "shielded" cable. Nothing in Monoprice's description mentions shielding. Other sites do, but their cables are up to five times the cost. Oh well, for once in a while use...

The player does not support cat 6 speeds, and while there is nothing wrong with using cat 6 patch cords (mine are also from monoprice) there is no need to go higher than cat 5. Shielding is just not an issue for cat 5 in most home installations.

I used cat 6 cable and connectors throughout just in case gigabit speeds become necessary and because, at the lengths I needed monoprice was inexpensive.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #6104 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

I may be wrong about this.. but it would be the first I've heard of it... the only thing that leads me to question what I know is the engineer stating that the coefficients are "fixed.." However, as I said, it also hasn't been seen in any other products up to this point... maybe nobody else has implemented it, or is part of a new subset I haven't been privy too.

Since I don't have this player, does it also do it on DTS HD decoded over HDMI?

If so, that's too bad, as it would preclude you from using a matrix decoder (which is a better way to do it and the only way to get true movement in a 5.1>7.1 system) inside the AVR.. if it is indeed doing this on the HDMI outs, all they are doing is copying a mono signal to 2 channels at a fixed ration... which also begs they question why do they need a coefficient form DTS to figure that out?

I'd be a little upset in losing the ability to use PLIIx or Neo, and IMO, is the wrong way to go about it.

I'm on it with my contacts.

Quote:

Thanks. I'm using 5.1 analog and cannot test this myself. But, yes, it is my understanding that DTS-HD 5.1 is "amplified" to 7.1 for PCM and analog and there's no way to turn the "feature" off. That's what the manual says and other posters have confirmed that performance in practice.

Hi Guys,

It's also interesting to note that the Panasonic manual (page 8) states that when using the HDMI connection this "amplification" from 5.1 to 7.1 channels is even performed on legacy DTS and DTS-ES signals. If the manual is correct, this means that the users would have to use an SPDIF connection in order to continue to use post processing such as PLIIx, LOGIC7, etc. on these legacy signals.

In contrast, DTS documentation states that the DTS Speaker Re-Mapping feature is confined just to the new advanced codecs, DTS-HD Master Audio and DTS High Resolution Audio, not the legacy codecs. We know that the DTS Speaker Re-mapping feature requires new meta data in the source signal that is only available in the advanced codecs. The fact that the Panasonic "amplification" process can still be performed on legacy signals, without the requisite meta data, provides another indication that this feature can't really be DTS' Speaker Re-mapping.

Larry
post #6105 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 02:13 PM

I just upgraded my new BD35 from firmware v,1.3 (that's what it came with) to v.1.6. A strange thing happened after it was completed. I popped in a Blu-Ray disc that I had previously watched, and there was no sound. As if the mute button was on. After the preview was over (no sound) the movie came on and the Dolby HD sound started. So I stopped the movie and started it over from the beginning again to see if the problem still existed, and it did the same thing over again. This time I took the disc out, and killed the power to the BD player, waited a couple of minutes and powered it back up. Popped in the disc and presto, the sound was there right from the start and I haven't had anymore issues. I was concerned that the firmware upgrade had screwed up something, and now I might be a litte apprehensive when the next upgrade comes out. Has anyone else here had this or something similar happen to them?
post #6106 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi Guys,

It's also interesting to note that the Panasonic manual (page 8) states that when using the HDMI connection this "amplification" from 5.1 to 7.1 channels is even performed on legacy DTS and DTS-ES signals. If the manual is correct, this means that the users would have to use an SPDIF connection in order to continue to use post processing such as PLIIx, LOGIC7, etc. on these legacy signals.

In contrast, DTS documentation states that the DTS Speaker Re-Mapping feature is confined just to the new advanced codecs, DTS-HD Master Audio and DTS High Resolution Audio, not the legacy codecs. We know that the DTS Speaker Re-mapping feature requires new meta data in the source signal that is only available in the advanced codecs. The fact that the Panasonic "amplification" process can still be performed on legacy signals, without the requisite meta data, provides another indication that this feature can't really be DTS' Speaker Re-mapping.

Larry

I think the manual says it's a feature of BD-V. I think a DVD will play normally. Are there any BDs with legacy encodes that are not part of an HD encode?
post #6107 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 02:26 PM

Something I noticed today after swapping out my BD30 with a new BD35 ... a sdhc card I had been watching (kid's basketball game) now comes up on the BD35 as Card Format not supported. It is actullay one of those microSDHC card plugged into an adapter and I am going to assume it is the card because it is an off brand. Anyone one else have any similar experience?
post #6108 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's the problem with using a forced 7.1 PCM output... you won't be able to apply post decode processing (such as DPLIIx), and are "stuck" with the dual mono surround channels that Panasonic is providing..

In the case of analog, I don't know what most AVR's will do if given a discrete input.. but even if you could apply post processing to the analog 5.1 inputs (having it ignore the other 2 channels) the surround levels will be low... this is one of the reasons I find it hard to see a reason for this kind of feature, and since it can't be defeated, it's negates some of the benefits in having a 7.1 setup with DTS 5.1 sources... a weird design choice to say the least.

EDIT... I guess a way around this would be to change the Panasonic to 5.1 every time you watched a DTS HD disc...

Hi Marc,

I take it that your suggested work around pertains just to an analog audio connection? Correct?

Thanks.

Larry
post #6109 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark754 View Post

A quick question on the BD55 audio settings...

I'm using a BD55 connected to an older Onkyo receiver (that does not decode HD audio) via the analog audio outputs. When playing a disc, the soundtrack setting reverts to "digital multi", which I assume is Dolby Digital (per the display menu, under signal type), and I have to manually set it to True HD multi (or whatever the best HD audio encoding is for each particular disc). Is there a setting that will automatically choose the optimal audio encoding setting when a disc is started, rather than having to change it manually?

In the setup menu, under digital audio output, I've used "PCM" for both Dolby and DTS selections.

Thanks.

The default is set on the disc.

Also, the digital output settings don't affect analog processing.
post #6110 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 02:43 PM

I have seen a lot of pages in this forum, I cannot read all so I ask how compares the Panasonic 55 to Samsung 2500 and Pioneer 51, considering these 3 aspects:
SD Video
HD Video
Analog 5.1 audio

Can someone summarize the results that seem to be tested by all the different customers that reported this ? Thank you.
post #6111 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek
This has been discussed several times and is in the manual:
Setup>Display>Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailermon View Post

Sorry... I don't think you understood my post. I wanted to know how to determine the current firmware installed on the BD55, not how to turn off automated messages.

Setup>Display>push the Status button on the remote.
post #6112 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the manual says it's a feature of BD-V.

Hi Peter,

True, but isn't it the advanced DTS codecs that have provisions for the re-mapping meta data? That is, this meta data is part of the DTS-HD codec, not the Blu-ray disc. I believe that Marc mentioned the mixing coefficients to tell the decoder how to remap the speakers. They are a part of the DTS-HD codec. Even if a separate legacy encode were also on a Blu-ray disc, it still doesn't have the means to support the meta data requirements.

Quote:

I think a DVD will play normally.

Agreed.

Quote:

Are there any BDs with legacy encodes that are not part of an HD encode?

Yes, I believe there are.

http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Details.php?u=65
http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Details.php?u=56
http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Details.php?u=54
http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Details.php?u=164

Blu-ray statistics suggest there are 28 more DTS legacy encodes with no HD encode. I haven't checked each and everyone.

Why do you ask? Are you suggesting the meta data could be present in the DTS-HD encode on the disc and somehow it could be applied to a legacy track extracted from the advanced track so as to extend the Speaker Re-mapping feature to legacy tracks?

Larry
post #6113 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 03:43 PM

AAAGGGGHHHHH!!!

I am at my wits end.

I have a new BD55. I am working with a Denon 3805 (non HDMI) and a Panny AE900.

I have been through all the settings ad nausium and cannot get the four rear speakers to work at all with the recommended (7.1) settings.

Special Request: I have a home-based business and have an "800" number. Is there anyone very familiar with this set-up who would be willing to give me a call and walk me through this?

Please PM me and I'll give you my toll free number.

Thanks.
post #6114 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

This is my little experiment -
Denon 2807 AVR, HDMI, 7.1 speakers, decoding in the BD35

Iron Man - TrueHD - Denon display shows
5.1 inputs
7.1 outputs
Multi-Ch In + Dolby PLIIx

Live Free or Die Hard - DTS HD-MA - Denon display shows
7.1 inputs
5.1 outputs (no SBL and SBR)
Multi-Ch In

Even though Live Free or Die Hard shows no surround backs they are active and produce sound.
post #6115 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Danstang View Post

Don't know if this has been answered yet (or if you figured it out), but I had a similar problem with my previous BR player. I was using the 5.1 analog outs and was not getting any sound from the sub either (my sub will turn on automatically when it senses a signal). My issue was in the reciever - when I listen to music I use 2 channel stereo without sub (I turn the sub off in the reciever). I was able to determine that this setting carried through to the analog inputs on the reciever. So, my fix was easy - I simply had to turn the sub back on in the reciever. Maybe your HK has a similar function?

DAN

Like I said the sub does work with other sources, so the receiver is set correctly. I'm thinking it might be something with the 6 channel connections???
post #6116 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 04:07 PM

Can anyone confirm if the BD55 boosts the bass (+10db to +15db) when audio is decoded by the player and output via the analog outs. My receiver will not do this. If the player does this to compensate for the LFE track being encoded lower that the others, I will return my BD35 for it. any comments are helpful.

Emotiva UMC-200, USP-1, XDA-2, XPA-2, XPA-3, ERC-1, OPPO BDP-103, Polk Audio RTi10, Polk Audio CSi5, Polk Audio RTiA1, Epik Knight, Velodyne SMS-1, Roku Streaming Stick,Samsung HP-T5054, Direct TV HR44-500 (Genie), APC H15, Emotiva CMX-2, Harmony Touch, Emotiva X-series Cables
post #6117 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 04:10 PM

Liked: 14
[quote=FilmMixer;15296726]That's the problem with using a forced 7.1 PCM output... you won't be able to apply post decode processing (such as DPLIIx), and are "stuck" with the dual mono surround channels that Panasonic is providing..QUOTE]

Take a look at page 189, post #5647, Marc - this is what Chris was told by Panasonic that is happening to the 5.1 signal. Supposedly not exactly a dual mono situation. And the fact it can't be "turned off" is partly why I wonder if a 5.1 mix released in DTS HD Master could just be marked on the Blu-Ray jacket as being 7.1 since there would be output in the rear surrounds regardless. It seems it's a DTS specific implementation - but I guess the question is whether it can be implemented somehow in the DTS signal and can show up on all players or is it a Panasonic specific feature.
post #6118 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Those who are looking to connect their BDx5 using a wireless network for BD-Live and FW upgrade capability, please check your local t-mobile store (or their website) for excellent price on WRT54G-TM. This router can be flashed to use DD-WRT and make it an wireless bridge.
I bought one from my local store. Will connect soon...
post #6119 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

I just watched the third AP movie and it correctly indicated "Dolby TrueHD" on the display of my 905. This to me indicates that there's something wrong with the 2nd movie and that's why it's incorrectly indicating "DD EX". Who knows, Warner could have released some defective or incorrectly encoded movies? I'm getting a replacement and will check once it comes in.

Did you go into the setup menu of the disc? TrueHD is not the default. Works with the Integra.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #6120 of 14981 Old 12-14-2008, 04:19 PM

I am running the Panasonic BD55. Hooked it up to the internet and dowloaded the latest firmware 1.6

The player is hooked up with a gaming bridge which works fine.. no problems there..

when i go into BD live to watch something like trailers... once the trailer is over, I can't back out of the menu and I have to hit a button and it dumps me out of the BD live connection. It's very annoying to say the least.. because I want to go and watch all the movie trailers. I can't. I have to re-log into my account, even though I chose the check box that says remember user log in. So which is the back button on BD Live? I can't find one on the remote that works like it should and take me back to the BD Live menu.

anyone else having trouble manuvering around BD Live. Note* This was on the WB BD Live site. Have not tried any others.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bh200 Super Blu Blu Ray Hd Dvd Combo Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page