post #631 of 14982 Old 10-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekWorm View Post

I had this experience when I purchased my 1st BD Player (BD30), and on the suggestion of a couple of the more experienced members, I replaced my HDMI Cables with a set of MonoPrice 1.3a certifieds.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...09&cp_id=10240

Never a problem since.

Are your cables up to the 1.3a Std.?

You are correct! Some will argue that there is no such thing as 1.3a cables but I agree with you. How many times have we read about "sparklies," color problems, and handshake errors in conjunction with cheap cables and/or long runs?

I think that the older cables and some of the cheap ones may work with short runs and/or bitstreaming but probably not for pcm combined with 1080p. I use the same cables and I have had 0 problems. While waiting for my new cables for the 55 I swiped the cable from my XA2. There is no way that I would expect one of those cheap cables that come with satellite boxes etc... to do a good job.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I opened the 55 box and found composite cables. What am I going to do with those? I have dozens of those things in a box in the basement. I don't even use those for analog audio. These companies can save themselves some money by not including junk like that. It only confuses Joe sixpack. I wonder how many people will hook their shiny new 55k's up to their HD TV's with those cables and call their friends and neighbors over to bask in the glory of their new Blu-ray player.

All animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 14982 Old 10-20-2008, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post

There's a DSP update for Onkyo receivers that eliminates the DTS bomb. Look for joerod's thread on Onkyo firmware requests in the "Amps, Receivers, and Processors" area. This would give you the option of using the 705's processing or the player's. I've done it on my 705, and it works.

I did it on my 805. It's so easy even I could do it.

All animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
post #633 of 14982 Old 10-20-2008, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Mathis View Post

I did it on my 805. It's so easy even I could do it.

I did it also on my 805 and did the firmware upgrade with the help of some great guys on AVS!!
post #634 of 14982 Old 10-20-2008, 07:43 PM

Hows everyones BD-live experience been with the 55? Ive just tried Forgetting Sarah Marshal several times and it wont let me access it, says connection failed, (My connection test passes and I have a 4 gig card in the player) brought this up a couple days ago and curious if anyone has had any success, Im trying Ironman tomorrow.

PSN and LIVE gt: Jmill79
post #635 of 14982 Old 10-20-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post

There's a DSP update for Onkyo receivers that eliminates the DTS bomb. Look for joerod's thread on Onkyo firmware requests in the "Amps, Receivers, and Processors" area. This would give you the option of using the 705's processing or the player's. I've done it on my 705, and it works.

i am a very confused novice.i have my 35k hooked up to my onkyo 705 via hdmi and when i try to play a disc, i get a message stating:"this operation is curently disabled". i get the same meassage when i go direct to my samsung 52a630 via hdmi. what am i doing wrong? it seemed like such a simple hook up
post #636 of 14982 Old 10-20-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenchmole View Post

i am a very confused novice.i have my 35k hooked up to my onkyo 705 via hdmi and when i try to play a disc, i get a message stating:"this operation is curently disabled". i get the same meassage when i go direct to my samsung 52a630 via hdmi. what am i doing wrong? it seemed like such a simple hook up

It says this when you hit play? Ususally that comes up with a button press that is not an option while your watching a movie...

post #637 of 14982 Old 10-20-2008, 08:37 PM
TKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Mathis View Post

You are correct! Some will argue that there is no such thing as 1.3a cables but I agree with you. How many times have we read about "sparklies," color problems, and handshake errors in conjunction with cheap cables and/or long runs?

I think that the older cables and some of the cheap ones may work with short runs and/or bitstreaming but probably not for pcm combined with 1080p. I use the same cables and I have had 0 problems. While waiting for my new cables for the 55 I swiped the cable from my XA2. There is no way that I would expect one of those cheap cables that come with satellite boxes etc... to do a good job.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I opened the 55 box and found composite cables. What am I going to do with those? I have dozens of those things in a box in the basement. I don't even use those for analog audio. These companies can save themselves some money by not including junk like that. It only confuses Joe sixpack. I wonder how many people will hook their shiny new 55k's up to their HD TV's with those cables and call their friends and neighbors over to bask in the glory of their new Blu-ray player.

I'm using Blue Jeans Cable Belden HDMI...longest run is five feet.
post #638 of 14982 Old 10-20-2008, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmill79 View Post

Hows everyones BD-live experience been with the 55? Ive just tried Forgetting Sarah Marshal several times and it wont let me access it, says connection failed, (My connection test passes and I have a 4 gig card in the player) brought this up a couple days ago and curious if anyone has had any success, Im trying Ironman tomorrow.

I tried it with Iron Man and it worked fine, I just find BD Live very lame so far. By the way I am using a 4gb SDHC.
post #639 of 14982 Old 10-20-2008, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have a Yamaha HTR-5990. It has HDMI. I want to run 7.1 Lossless. Can I use PCM over HDMI? How do I know? I would hate to use the multiple analog cables but I need to know before I pick the 35 or 55.

Thanks for any help.
post #640 of 14982 Old 10-20-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

I tried it with Iron Man and it worked fine, I just find BD Live very lame so far. By the way I am using a 4gb SDHC.

Ok thanks, Im trying that one tomorrow. I just wanna make sure the thing works. Im also using the 4gig sdhc card. It just keeps tellin me connection failed even though I can do the network test under settings and it passes, its gotta be something that disk specific.

As far as BD-live itself, I think it could have potential, the sending of yer favorite clip of a movie to a friend will be really cool once more people start picking these players up.

post #641 of 14982 Old 10-20-2008, 09:22 PM

When using the analog connections, should audio be set to pcm or bitstream?
post #642 of 14982 Old 10-20-2008, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearrean View Post

Ok, since it's been determined that my Yamaha RX-V661 will not handle multi-channel PCM via HDMI & my budget right now won't allow for an a/v upgrade to something like a 663, with help from "nonexclusive" & "BIslander", I've determined, as much as I dislike having to use the extra (6) cables, I'll need to go with the DMP-BD55 & utilize the analog outs in order to take advantage of the new lossless audio. Looking online at the back-panel of the 55, it shows a sub output as one of it's (6) analog outs. My speakers are Definitives and the front (2) mains each have built-in powered subs. So, because of that, I am assuming I won't use the sub output on the back of the 55, is that correct?
Also, I am currently using a DD 6.1 audio set-up with my 661 which utilizes a center rear channel/speaker. How will I handle that connection with the 55?

Ken

You would hook up everything to your RX-V661 except the sub channel. You should use a RCA "Y" adapter and run the BD55's analog sub output to both of the sub inputs on your 2 R/L Definitives.

For the back surround channel, you would run both the R&L surround back channel analog outputs, on the BD55, to the R&L surround back channel inputs on your RX-V661 and let it configure the output for a single surround back channel speaker (that's what it's doing right now, isn't it?). I'm assuming that the RX-C661 has 7.1 channel capability.

PS -- The BD55 has 8 analog outputs, not 6. They are R&L main, R&L Surround, Center & Sub, and R&L Back Surround. See your BD55 manual, it has a picture of the back panel.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #643 of 14982 Old 10-20-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post

Your BD55 should be decoding and outptting to your 84 as PCM. Make sure none of the speakers are set to SMALL in the player so that you get full range PCM. Assuming your 84 already has the LFE bug taken care of by firmware, I recommend Auto Surround for your 84's HDMI input. Video I always leave PURE and if your TV speakers must have audio from the player, just connect 2 RCA cables from the player's 2CH out straight to your TV.

I assume you know how to enable that LFE boost in the 84?

Thanks for the advice.

I had the LFE bug taken care of during the warrantee, so all is fine there. Do I know how to enable the LFE boost? Hmmm, don' t remember, it's been at least a year since I last fiddled with that stuff. I think I did as I can shake the whole house with my sub. If you remember, let me know anyhow.
post #644 of 14982 Old 10-20-2008, 11:59 PM
Advanced Member

I have priced this SD disk. Will it work are is there a better option? Does this plug into the 35K or do I need a "converter" in the middle. I've always had Sony Memory stick, so I'm not familiar with SD cards. I want one that is compatible and "speedy" that will fit into the 35K with the flap closed. http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-EXTREM...-wl_item-added
post #645 of 14982 Old 10-21-2008, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gte747e View Post

I have priced this SD disk. Will it work are is there a better option? Does this plug into the 35K or do I need a "converter" in the middle. I've always had Sony Memory stick, so I'm not familiar with SD cards. I want one that is compatible and "speedy" that will fit into the 35K with the flap closed. http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-EXTREM...-wl_item-added

That should be fine. I have a 4 gig SDHC card and it fits perfect.
post #646 of 14982 Old 10-21-2008, 12:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

That should be fine. I have a 4 gig SDHC card and it fits perfect.

They are not smaller than a regular SD card? They fit fine without anykind of adaptor?
post #647 of 14982 Old 10-21-2008, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They are not smaller than a regular SD card? They fit fine without anykind of adaptor?

Its the same size as a regular SD card.
post #648 of 14982 Old 10-21-2008, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearrean View Post

Ok, since it's been determined that my Yamaha RX-V661 will not handle multi-channel PCM via HDMI & with the 55?

Ken

I must have missed something earlier. Why do you think the 661 doesn't accept MPCM? Do you mean your unit specifically? Page 16 of the manual clearly says it will and I've got a friend who's been using one for MPCM via HD-DVD and BluRay (PS3) since the 661 was first released.

-Brent
post #649 of 14982 Old 10-21-2008, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

You would hook up everything to your RX-V661 except the sub channel. You should use a RCA "Y" adapter and run the BD55's analog sub output to both of the sub inputs on your 2 R/L Definitive.

If he did that it would bypass the volume control on the receiver.The subs would play at max volume constantly.Should set fronts to large and direct LFE to fronts if possible.If the 55 doesn't have a setting to direct LFE to fronts then there's a problem.

Andy
post #650 of 14982 Old 10-21-2008, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmill79 View Post

After going through the Smamsung 1500 and the Sony 350 I opted for the Panasonic 55. It just has everything I wanted and it was a good time to invest in it. But I can't get mine to connect. It can check for updates but for some reason it doesn't want to use BD live. Any suggestions? Also is there anyway to fix some audio sync that's happening. My reciever doesn't allow you to use the av sync on it so I need to find another way to do that. any suggestions? Thanks a bunch.

SNSGUY
post #651 of 14982 Old 10-21-2008, 03:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chix View Post

Why wait when you can buy it elsewhere NOW!

Commitment. It's the deal you make with a company when placing a preorder. They promise to get you a unit at the advertised price (even with a rider attached to lower it if the price changes, but not raise it), and you promise to buy it when it comes in.
post #652 of 14982 Old 10-21-2008, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlgreen561 View Post

Will the BD55 internally decode DTS-MA and send it out via 7.1 analogs? or only through hdmi? Has this been confirmed?

Yes, I have mine going into a Denon 5803 AVR using 7.1 Analog and all the formats decode including DTS-HD Master Audio. The results are nothing less than amazing.
post #653 of 14982 Old 10-21-2008, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstitzlein@gmail View Post

When using the analog connections, should audio be set to pcm or bitstream?

You should set Audio to PCM when using the analog outs.
post #654 of 14982 Old 10-21-2008, 05:13 AM

Liked: 14
So when I run the BD55 to my Denon 4306 receiver via HDMI, which is the best setting to use in order to take full advantage of DD True HD and DTS MA? My Denon 4306 will not decode these audio formats, so I need the BD55 to do so internally. Would bitstream or LPCM work best, or would I have to run analog cables in order to get lossless 5.1/7.1 audio?
post #655 of 14982 Old 10-21-2008, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstanko View Post

Commitment. It's the deal you make with a company when placing a preorder. They promise to get you a unit at the advertised price (even with a rider attached to lower it if the price changes, but not raise it), and you promise to buy it when it comes in.

I have no idea whether you are serious or being facetious.
There is absolutely no commitment involved with a preorder, it doesn't even enter into the realm of being an ethical issue.
The company simply hopes to get your business, and that is as it should be.

Go buy the thing NOW from someone who has it in stock for a price you like and stimulate the economy...

to each his own...
post #656 of 14982 Old 10-21-2008, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh's HT View Post

So when I run the BD55 to my Denon 4306 receiver via HDMI, which is the best setting to use in order to take full advantage of DD True HD and DTS MA? My Denon 4306 will not decode these audio formats, so I need the BD55 to do so internally. Would bitstream or LPCM work best, or would I have to run analog cables in order to get lossless 5.1/7.1 audio?

Your Denon being HDMI equipped, you need neither the BD55 (BD35 will do) nor component cables.

to each his own...
post #657 of 14982 Old 10-21-2008, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverwolf View Post

I must have missed something earlier. Why do you think the 661 doesn't accept MPCM? Do you mean your unit specifically? Page 16 of the manual clearly says it will and I've got a friend who's been using one for MPCM via HD-DVD and BluRay (PS3) since the 661 was first released.

-Brent

Now I'm really confused. Another forum member stated just yesterday that the 661 will not accept MPCM via HDMI. I believe he did say that the manual indicated it would, but when he tried it numerous times, he found it would not! To verify one way or the other, I called Yamaha tech support and was told that the 661 would not & I would either have to use the analog outs from the 55 to the 661 or upgrade to a 663 to do so.
I would love to find out that it will however. I don't always believe the Yamaha tech support folks because I've found them to be wrong before about their own equip. Again, keep in mind I am just barely above a novice here, but is there anyway I can verify with my current set-up which right now includes an HD-A2 DVD player if the 661 will or will not pass MPCM via the HDMI cable which is the way I have it hooked up? (HDMI from the HD-A2 to the 661, HDMI from my SAT HD STB to the 661 & then out from the 661 to my TV/Display).

Ken

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

post #658 of 14982 Old 10-21-2008, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

$19.70 + $4.25 shipping for a 4GB card???

You can do much, much better... even for a Class 6 card like that:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...nd&Order=PRICE

"Your" isn't the same as "you're". "There", "their" and "they're" are also not the same. Please learn the difference.

And... it's "couldn't care less". Thank you. :)
post #659 of 14982 Old 10-21-2008, 06:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by sremick View Post

$19.70 + $4.25 shipping for a 4GB card???

You can do much, much better... even for a Class 6 card like that:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...nd&Order=PRICE

I got a class 6, 8GB card from Amazon for $16. including 2 day shipping.
A few months ago the 8GB cards were twice that amount when i had the BD50.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #660 of 14982 Old 10-21-2008, 07:01 AM

Hello, I have an observation with PCM vs. Bitstream. My amp is a Marantz SR7002 I have the BD35 and I am using HDMI from the BD35 to the SR7002 and out to the TV. the sound is a tad better if it is sent bitstream to the Marantz to decode the Hi def codecs rather than having the BD35 send PCM and internally decode the Hi def codecs, also it is slightly louder with bitstream. Could the Marantz be doing a better job?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bh200 Super Blu Blu Ray Hd Dvd Combo Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page