Forum Jump: 

post #10171 of 14982 Old 02-11-2009, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben View Post

This is bugging me, because I swear there was a post that may address this, but for the life of me I can't find it. IIRC it had something to do with the grayed out HDMI/24p option. Again, IIRC the solution was to connect the Panny to the TV via both HDMI and the composite connections, setting the TV input to the composite input, going into the Panny menu and turning something off that intuitively you'd think should be on, then going to the TV's HDMI input and going back into the menus and making the correct setting. But as I say, I can't find this post. I'll keep searching.

Check my prior link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10172 of 14982 Old 02-11-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrada View Post

Thanks for the information. So I can use the 1080p 24fps mode with my projector. Why can I not get the BD-35 to allow me to select that mode. I have read and reread the instructions and still can not get it to work. Any ideas out there?

Check two links above.
post #10173 of 14982 Old 02-11-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell View Post

I think the suggestion to switch to composite input, change the BD35, then go back to HDMI remedied a problem with no video at the set when the player was set to 1080p and/or 24 fps and the set did not really support it.

I've read where there is an unexpected interaction between 24fps and the secondary audio on. But looking back I don't see a symptom where the 24p option was greyed out. Still, on the original problem, one could try disabling secondary audio to see if that had any impact.

As well, I would try connecting the BD35 directly to the set. I think that 24fps is greyed out when it thinks the set/downstream device does not handle it. It could be that the older AVR in question does not understand 24fps, and so it cannot be enabled at the BD35 even when the television supports it.

This is very important information, and I thank you for posting it.

Bob
post #10174 of 14982 Old 02-11-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

This doesn't make sense to me, if the BD55 was doing fine before the update and it is the one decoding the audio codecs then why would the receiver suddenly be to blame? Especially considering those who've reported the issue do not likely have the same receiver but are experiencing an identical problem post update?

Intelligent deduction.
post #10175 of 14982 Old 02-11-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdimegli View Post

The new firmware 1.7 available for the 35 and 55 says one fix is for HD decoding stability.

This means it could have changed the way it decodes audio and passes it out analog on the 55. Need answers from Panasonic on this.

I doubt it. So far, this issue seems to be related to only a couple users.
This will surprise me that Panasonic will affect the analog Audio.
post #10176 of 14982 Old 02-11-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post

I have a display that supports 1080p and 24p but does not have 1080p resolution. With an HDMI connection from the BD35 to the display, I chose 1080p in the menu on the BD35. It warned me a whole lot, but I did it anyway. The screen went blank. I had to make another connection (composite) and switch to it on the display in order to undo what I had done.

Changing it to AUTO, however, had the effect of causing the BD35 to send 1080P to the display when showing a BD and 1080i when showing a DVD.

It allows me to set 24p as well. For BDs it is on and for DVDs it is not, but you can turn it on for DVDs when they start via the (display?) menu.

Very good information. Thank you.

Bob
post #10177 of 14982 Old 02-12-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoaddikt View Post

Might be wise to check how you are set up now in the user's menu before doing the download and make sure your settings have not changed after the install. Kind of a hassle especially if you need to go through the analog set up again, but could save you grief later.

Not only "might be", but it is. Well put it.
post #10178 of 14982 Old 02-12-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoaddikt View Post

I am using analog, 5.1... works perfectly after the update, no differences noted.

See, another good news.
post #10179 of 14982 Old 02-12-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviec View Post

O.K. I unplugged the unit and plugged it back in and did the reset in the menu to restore default settings, re did my settings and everything is working great now.
The only thing i do notice is the total sound level is a bit lower overall so i just have to crank it up louder than i used to.getting lfe and good bass now.

Thanks for the valuable info.

Bob
post #10180 of 14982 Old 02-12-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds54 View Post

I'm trying to get a handle on this 1.7 firmware audio issue.....
1) It may affect both HDMI & analog out?
2) Not all users are noting an audio degradation?
3) Rebooting, resetting to defaults, and then re-customizing fixes the issue?

1--> No
2--> You are right.
3--> It might help in some situations.
post #10181 of 14982 Old 02-12-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

Updated via internet to 1.7, running 5.1 analog out, tested with "Band of Brothers" -- no difference from 1.6. All previous settings remain and audio still sounds great, with full range from my large fronts and lots of LFE, which means my downstairs neighbor still hates me.

Cool. You will not like to change your lovely die hard habits, now, would you?
post #10182 of 14982 Old 02-12-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman253 View Post

Several of us had audio problems after doing the 1.6 firmware upgrade (see post #9623) that was cured by doing a reset under the "others" menu to restore the default settings (even though all the settings appeared to be correct). It is a simple enough thing to try if you are having problems after doing the 1.7 upgrade. (I haven't done the 1.7 upgrade yet; I'll wait for the dust to settle).

Very important information confirmed. Thank you.

Bob
post #10183 of 14982 Old 02-12-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post

I am trying to update the BD 35 via the ethernet port. The 35 automatically detects that 1.7 is available so I click Yes to update. While it is slow, it can get up to about 20% and sits there for awhile. Then it will stop downloading and give me a message "Did not download. Please try again" or something to that affect. The player then turns off and turns back on.

Anyone have any idea what's going on or how to fix it?

Thanks,

Simply burn a disc from the latest version 1.7 firm. update & put it in
your player. You should be on your way to the other dimension.
post #10184 of 14982 Old 02-12-2009, 12:22 AM

I just upgraded to the 1.7 firmware from 1.5, which was on the player when I purchased it. One thing I noticed about the analog audio is that I no longer had the center and surround channels when attempting to use the analog outs with hdmi audio set to on. This was not the case prior to the upgrade. The output also seems to be muffled. Once I turned the hdmi audio to off the sound improved greatly and the center and surround channels returned. I'm new to this thread, but one thing I remember reading is that people were happy to be able to use the analog outs without having to turn off the hdmi audio. I wonder if the people who are reporting problems have the hdmi audio turned on.

Phil

Marantz AV7005
Marantz SR9600
Infinity Intermezzo 2.6 (4)
Infinity Intermezzo 3.5C
Infinity Intermezzo 1.2S
post #10185 of 14982 Old 02-12-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krellthiel View Post

I've updated to V1.7 from V1.6 using analog 5.1 output.
While discs encoded in Dolby True-HD played perfectly fine,
my one DTS-HD MA disc had the DTS HD Master audio option greyed
out, forcing me to downgrade to compressed DTS. This means that
the player no longer decodes DTS HD Master.

Does anyone else encounter the same problem?
I tried to go back to V1.6 update, but the BD-55 refused
my firmware V1.6 update CD.

Please help..

The BD35 does not have 5.1 analog outputs.
Only the BD55 does.
post #10186 of 14982 Old 02-12-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordoftherings View Post

Sure of that?

Well, if you don't believe me, try it.
What have you got to lose, right?
post #10187 of 14982 Old 02-12-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrew View Post

I just upgraded to the 1.7 firmware from 1.5, which was on the player when I purchased it. One thing I noticed about the analog audio is that I no longer had the center and surround channels when attempting to use the analog outs with hdmi audio set to on. This was not the case prior to the upgrade. The output also seems to be muffled. Once I turned the hdmi audio to off the sound improved greatly and the center and surround channels returned. I'm new to this thread, but one thing I remember reading is that people were happy to be able to use the analog outs without having to turn off the hdmi audio. I wonder if the people who are reporting problems have the hdmi audio turned on.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Analog outputs & HDMI audio output are totally unrelated.
post #10188 of 14982 Old 02-12-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xit2050 View Post

Well, if you don't believe me, try it.
What have you got to lose, right?

I stand corrected. You are right, you cannot reverse to a previous firmware.
Thank you for remending me.

Wish you a good day.

Bob
post #10189 of 14982 Old 02-12-2009, 12:42 AM

I understand this, but just briefly looking at the posts, the problem seems to be with just the analog out. At least the one's I read. I can also say that prior to switching to the 1.7 firmware, I had no problem with the center or surrounds with the hdmi audio set to on. Now I do. The only change was the firmware. Irrc, with the Sony 550 I tried a while back you couldn't use the analog outs with the hdmi audio inabled. Same with the S2500 Yamaha I have. Those people who are having problem with their analog out since updating to 1.7 may want to make sure that the hdmi audio is disabled. In either case I doubt it would hurt.

Marantz AV7005
Marantz SR9600
Infinity Intermezzo 2.6 (4)
Infinity Intermezzo 3.5C
Infinity Intermezzo 1.2S
post #10190 of 14982 Old 02-12-2009, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Glad to see people have emailed Panasonic. Email does work. I have found phone calls work a little better, getting a case number, etc., seems to facilitate the process.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #10191 of 14982 Old 02-12-2009, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Say, when one plays a disc with 7.1 LPCM sound....and the sound goes out via HDMI to the receiver....and the system is set up as 5.1....what happens to the other two channels?

I understand that the receiver can intelligently deal with 7.1 signals sent via Dolby TruHD, DTS MA, etc. But what happens with uncompressed audio sent over HDMI?
post #10192 of 14982 Old 02-12-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krellthiel View Post

I've updated to V1.7 from V1.6 using analog 5.1 output.
While discs encoded in Dolby True-HD played perfectly fine,
my one DTS-HD MA disc had the DTS HD Master audio option greyed
out, forcing me to downgrade to compressed DTS. This means that
the player no longer decodes DTS HD Master.

Does anyone else encounter the same problem?
I tried to go back to V1.6 update, but the BD-55 refused
my firmware V1.6 update CD.

Please help..

The Blu-Ray disc affected was

Berlin Concert: Live From Waldbuhne [Blu-ray] (2008)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CZVVVO

After the V1.7 firmware update, the DTS HD MA option
was disallowed.
post #10193 of 14982 Old 02-12-2009, 06:34 AM

Liked: 11
Need help .. yes the question may have allready been answered but I can't seem to find if I am doing something wrong.

I have a Pana Plasma TH58PH10uka (the pro version) hooked on a Pana 35 via HDMI. and am seing some jiddeers on quick pan movements of the camera while watching moovies. I suspected it was bcs I was not selecting 24p.

I know this model is a 768p not 1080p but was under the impression I could send 1080p24 and let the internal processing bring it down to 1080i.

I can't select 24p on the HDMI menu, am I doing something wrong or is it simply bcs my plasma will not accept it ???

Thks for helping, a frustrated owner.
post #10194 of 14982 Old 02-12-2009, 06:37 AM

Last night, I ran into my first problem with my BD35: "copyright violation".

The disc was a BD rental from NetFlix (disc 2 of the recent BBC Robin Hood series). It wasn't all that dirty, but I did clean it (there were a few smudges). Also, there were some scratches, though not all that bad. There did not appear to be any cracks. Also, I uploaded firmware version 1.7 just the previous night and it played another rental BD from NetFlix (disc 1 of the same series) just fine.

I remembered having seen various posts with this problem in this thread, so I searched it and found several instances. It seems that almost all are on rental discs. Many people simply tried the disc again and the problem went away. Others cleaned the disc and the problem went away. Some could not get the problem resolved. I tried several times, both before and after cleaning, to no avail. I reported it as a problem to NetFlix and sent the disc back.

Doing some further searching on the internet, this appears to be a Panasonic BD player issue with less than pristine discs (though it occurs to me that other manufacturers might show a different error other than “copyright violation” on a dirty/damaged disc, thereby not showing up in my Google search). I have played probably 20 BDs on my player so far, about half of them NetFlix rentals. This is the first time I've had any issues.

Has anyone reported this problem to Panasonic or found out any more information on this issue? I’m thinking it might be a good idea to report it. Maybe a future firmware update could make the player more resistant to declaring this violation on discs that are not quite perfect.

Edit: I went to Panasonic's Support page and looked at the FAQs for the BD35. The second FAQ that came up was:

What should I do if my BD Player is displaying “Copyright protection” message when playing a rented movie?
You should clean the disc, because it may be dirty, has fingerprints, or smudges on the playback side of the BD disc, which normally occurs with rental videos.

So, it's obvious this is a problem with discs that aren't in really good condition. I still wonder, however, that it seems to be so prevalent on Panasonic players,

Brian
post #10195 of 14982 Old 02-12-2009, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Yes, this happened to me when I first got the BD35. I reported it to Panasonic but it did work when I ejected it and then re-inserted the disk.

lujan
673 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #10196 of 14982 Old 02-12-2009, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrew View Post

Phil

I don't recall my BD55 or my BD10-A for that matter, to ever having sound through anything but the mains when using the analog outs and HDMI set to "On". IIRC there is something specific in the owners manual about being necessary to turn HDMI audio off when using the analog outs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10197 of 14982 Old 02-12-2009, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't recall my BD55 or my BD10-A for that matter, to ever having sound through anything but the mains when using the analog outs and HDMI set to "On". IIRC there is something specific in the owners manual about being necessary to turn HDMI audio off when using the analog outs.

I think this was covered ad nauseum by bislander and others if you go back and check his posts. There are posts listing the recommended setup for analog out.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post15659568
post #10198 of 14982 Old 02-12-2009, 09:56 AM

I let my 55 update to 1.7 before reading of issues here. I use the analog out to a high end 2 channel audio system and have been previously quite impressed with the bottom end on the lossless codecs.

It's pretty hard to compare sound to a previous memory and I don't have any blu rays currently that have impressive soundtracks as I rent all through Netflix. But I did replay Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist and played some of Leatherheads and the bottom end just didn't have the weight and extension I came to expect from the 55. All my settings are the same and I defaulted to factory settings and reset them. I don't remember how Nick and Norah sounded before (I don't remember being blown away by the soundtrack) and I haven't watched Leatherheads previously so I'm hoping its just these two disks don't have great bottom end, but I'm not a happy camper right now.
post #10199 of 14982 Old 02-12-2009, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayridescarbon View Post

I let my 55 update to 1.7 before reading of issues here. I use the analog out to a high end 2 channel audio system and have been previously quite impressed with the bottom end on the lossless codecs.

It's pretty hard to compare sound to a previous memory and I don't have any blu rays currently that have impressive soundtracks as I rent all through Netflix. But I did replay Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist and played some of Leatherheads and the bottom end just didn't have the weight and extension I came to expect from the 55. All my settings are the same and I defaulted to factory settings and reset them. I don't remember how Nick and Norah sounded before (I don't remember being blown away by the soundtrack) and I haven't watched Leatherheads previously so I'm hoping its just these two disks don't have great bottom end, but I'm not a happy camper right now.

Yikes! If you have and SD-DVD's that you are familiar with try one of those... War of the Worlds or something like that maybe.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #10200 of 14982 Old 02-12-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:

Yikes! If you have and SD-DVD's that you are familiar with try one of those... War of the Worlds or something like that maybe.

Nick and Norah and Leatherheads are blu rays played with lossless codecs selected. I haven't tried any sd dvds.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bh200 Super Blu Blu Ray Hd Dvd Combo Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page