post #10531 of 14981 Old 02-22-2009, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaByte View Post

Bob
He was talking about his projector......
Not a Panny RPTV..
There is only one person off target here.

Yes I know. But I was telling him my experience with a different TV, but
nonetheless, it could have provide him some information, that could have a relation to his projector. Becausre my TV do revert to it's own resolution, even if I choose one different from my Panny BD-55.
Sometime, I'm learning, that by trying to help people, I put my foot in the
wrong bowl! I end up bowling in a skating ring!

Anyway, like I mentioned previously, it's not like it is the end of the world!
Or is it???

Hey, in the end (of the world?), it is under the mattress; he's a good guy, I'm a good guy, and everybody is happy.

But I really do appreciate the gentle tone you use to put it to me.

________Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10532 of 14981 Old 02-22-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 View Post

While I agree that people should read the owner's manual thoroughly, I'm sure that you will agree that many manuals don't always do the best job of explaining functions and operations. My tv manual was no help in telling me what resolution was being input to the tv until someone pointed me in the right direction.

I give you that one. Some manuals seems to have been written by extraterrestrials!
post #10533 of 14981 Old 02-22-2009, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordoftherings View Post

Well, this is very distressing now. I am also concern by this.
What it is going on?
How many people are affected by this?.......

We seem to be in the minority, which is what puzzles me so much. What is the common ground that the problem users are having?
post #10534 of 14981 Old 02-22-2009, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordoftherings View Post

It is also mentioned in your manual at page 8, but very briefly.

Hey Bob. I'm a big advocate of RTM. From my first post on this issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad T View Post

The manual confirms that this is what the BD-35 does.

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey? HERE is a mini how-to.Click HERE to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
post #10535 of 14981 Old 02-22-2009, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hmmm...wondering if this is the fault of the player or the DVD:

So my Mom brings over Mamma Mia and the family's watching this silly but musically entertaining movie--I admit, I love ABBA, ok? --and when I press pause, after a couple minutes the "Universal" screen saver comes on. However, when I press play or pause to unpause this, the disk is unresponsive. The movie will not resume. Instead, I have to press stop, often more than once. Of course, that means the movie has to begin again from the very beginning; the pause point has been lost.
post #10536 of 14981 Old 02-23-2009, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post

So my Mom brings over Mamma Mia and the family's watching this silly but musically entertaining movie--I admit, I love ABBA, ok? --and when I press pause, after a couple minutes the "Universal" screen saver comes on. However, when I press play or pause to unpause this, the disk is unresponsive. The movie will not resume. Instead, I have to press stop, often more than once. Of course, that means the movie has to begin again from the very beginning; the pause point has been lost.

I think somebody recommended pressing OK. Try that.
post #10537 of 14981 Old 02-23-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds54 View Post

We seem to be in the minority, which is what puzzles me so much. What is the common ground that the problem users are having?

I bitstream my audio via HDMI, and I don't believe the update had any adverse effects for me. I have been wondering since this problem surfaced whether it has any connection to one of the various LFE boost issues. For those who aren't aware, certain DVD players and receivers have issues with LFE channel audio in that they do not properly boost the LFE channel, as required for proper operation.

I am no expert on this issue, so someone else would be better able to explain all of the possible problems (no boost in either the player or receiver; boost in both the player and the receiver; improper amount of boost in either unit). So, perhaps some variant of the LFE bug has shown up in the 1.7 firmware. How it manifests itself might be dependent on both the connection method and what it is connected to.

Maybe I'm wrong, but perhaps it is somewhere to look. Good luck figuring it out. Hopefully 1.8 will be out soon enough with a fix, regardless.
post #10538 of 14981 Old 02-23-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:

Alas, another victim of the 1.7 firmware update.....
BD55, analog 5.1 audio.
It did indeed affect my subwoofer/bass output, just as others have reported. I tested several BDs, and rebooted/reset my customizations. I've had to significantly increase my subwoofer levels in order to
compensate for the degradation.
I sure would like to know what's going on.....

You did first reset to factory settings, right? In the "Troubleshooting guide" section titled "To reset this unit" try the procedure "To return all settings to the factory preset", and then if that doesn't work try the procedure "To return to the factory preset (No setting)". And let us know what happens.
post #10539 of 14981 Old 02-23-2009, 02:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Alas, another victim of the 1.7 firmware update.....
BD55, analog 5.1 audio.
It did indeed affect my subwoofer/bass output, just as others have reported. I tested several BDs, and rebooted/reset my customizations. I've had to significantly increase my subwoofer levels in order to
compensate for the degradation.
I sure would like to know what's going on.....

So is it the concensus that FW upgrade 1.7 only affects those with the BD55 using 5.1 analog outputs and not those who are using HDMI outputs in either the BD35 or BD55?
post #10540 of 14981 Old 02-23-2009, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post

I think somebody recommended pressing OK. Try that.

I'll have to see if that works. I use a Harmony 880 to run my stuff, so I'll have to double-check which key corresponds to the "OK" button on the Panny's remote.
post #10541 of 14981 Old 02-23-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fosse View Post

So is it the concensus that FW upgrade 1.7 only affects those with the BD55 using 5.1 analog outputs and not those who are using HDMI outputs in either the BD35 or BD55?

Using analog 5.1 ONLY on my BD55.
I have had NO issues with the upgrade to 1.7 .
Sound is still GGRR8t!
post #10542 of 14981 Old 02-23-2009, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Does anyone here is having issues with SD DVD resume playback after you powered the unit off? My BD35 is not resuming playback on a bunch of SD DVD's. I called Panasonic and opened up a ticket. This is very annoying to me because I rarely have time to fininsh a movie in one sitting. If anybody out there is having this issue, please contact Panasonic at 888-263-4752 and let your voice be heard. If nobody complains, Panasonic WILL NOT issue a fix!

Please Call!
post #10543 of 14981 Old 02-23-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:

I had the exact same thing happen!
Had to start over.
That movie was so bad, I should have just left it off.
And I don't hate ABBA either.
post #10544 of 14981 Old 02-23-2009, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post

Does anyone here is having issues with SD DVD resume playback after you powered the unit off?

As I mentioned earlier (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post15865212) mine does resume, albeit erratically. When I called, I didn't ask that they open a ticket, but they did (received an email with the reference later).

Can you describe your player's symptoms? When you stop, do see a time displayed on the front panel? What happens when you restart? How do you restart?
post #10545 of 14981 Old 02-23-2009, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've found on various occassions with the BD35 that when the screen saver comes on you have to press Play twice to resume the movie.
post #10546 of 14981 Old 02-23-2009, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fosse View Post

I have downloaded the 1.7 FW and have no audio problems at all, I'm connected via HDMI. The problem that I do seem to have is that since the 1.7 download I cannot resume play after I "pause" or "stop" while watching a DVD or blu-ray. I've read a few posts about others experiencing this also. Would this be something that a firmware update could fix? It seems that if a FW update caused it that a FW update could fix it. Are many others having this problem?
post #10547 of 14981 Old 02-23-2009, 08:39 AM

Guys, forgive me as I tried looking for something within the realm of the same issue I'm having with no luck...my eyes are shot from looking so much.

Here's my dilemna, BD35:

In a nutshell, my player is acting as if the lens is dirty. What's weird is that my disc are as clean as they can be, if not new. I don't know if it's in fact the lens or just faulty performance but that's the jist of it. The movie will: freeze; jump forward; jump backward; show distorted image coupled with pixelation; no sound; a combination of all previously mentioned.

Anyone remember someone else having this issue, if so...what conclusion became of it and perhaps, was it something other than the lens....maybe even something a firmware update could resolve? FYI, I have the OTB firmware....whichever that may be.

My Home Theatre/Gaming Setup

XBL Gamertag: Da Rafsta79
post #10548 of 14981 Old 02-23-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gakon View Post

As I mentioned earlier (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post15865212) mine does resume, albeit erratically. When I called, I didn't ask that they open a ticket, but they did (received an email with the reference later).

Can you describe your player's symptoms? When you stop, do see a time displayed on the front panel? What happens when you restart? How do you restart?

My player is erratically as well. Sometimes it resumes, and sometimes it does not. I just hit the stop button once, and the the power off button. When I restart the unit, sometimes I get zeros on the front display, but it will pick off from where I left off. Other times it just starts automatically from the begining, and other times if I have stop the DVD more than one time, it will resume from the spot where I first stop the movie. Botton line is: THERE IS and issue with the resume function and regular DVD's. And I also would like to point out that this seems to started happening after firmware version 1.6. I had this unit since last November, and I don't recall having this issue before.
People having this issue should call Panasonic to let them know that this is not an isolated problem. If you don't call Panasonic, they are not going to bother issuing a fix for something they might think is only happening to one machine or two.....
post #10549 of 14981 Old 02-23-2009, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG707 View Post

I have downloaded the 1.7 FW and have no audio problems at all, I'm connected via HDMI. The problem that I do seem to have is that since the 1.7 download I cannot resume play after I "pause" or "stop" while watching a DVD or blu-ray. I've read a few posts about others experiencing this also. Would this be something that a firmware update could fix? It seems that if a FW update caused it that a FW update could fix it. Are many others having this problem?

Not too many writing about it so far. Be aware - most BD's do not resume play where you stopped (sounds like a "feature" of Blu-Ray). If you're having a problem resuming BD's after pausing, there have been a couple of posts talking about hitting "play" twice or "OK".

The problem a couple of us have noticed is erratic resume after stopping normal DVD's. As cortiz mentioned in other posts, if you notice a problem, call Panasonic. My advice would be to perform a little troubleshooting to identify specific problems, so that you can provide as much information to them when you call.
post #10550 of 14981 Old 02-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Blu-rays from Universal do that. Supposedly you can press one of the colored buttons at the bottom of the remote to get it to resume. If you see the bookmark bar when you pause, you can set a bookmark, and that does work (when available).
post #10551 of 14981 Old 02-23-2009, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post

You did first reset to factory settings, right? In the "Troubleshooting guide" section titled "To reset this unit" try the procedure "To return all settings to the factory preset", and then if that doesn't work try the procedure "To return to the factory preset (No setting)". And let us know what happens.

Yes, I did a reboot and reset. I used the Others menu option for restore default settings , which it did. Do you believe that the second option (factory preset -No setting) would make more of a difference?
post #10552 of 14981 Old 02-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Does anyone here is having issues with SD DVD resume playback after you powered the unit off? My BD35 is not resuming playback on a bunch of SD DVD's. I called Panasonic and opened up a ticket. This is very annoying to me because I rarely have time to fininsh a movie in one sitting. If anybody out there is having this issue, please contact Panasonic at 888-263-4752 and let your voice be heard. If nobody complains, Panasonic WILL NOT issue a fix!

Please Call!

I called today. The first customer Rep. was no help at all so I eventually talked to a supervisor and explained to him that standard dvds would not resume play to the position that they were last paused at after the bd35 had been powered down and then powered back up. I told him that this function worked prior to the 1.7 FW update. He told me that the design engineers did not design these specs into the player so the player is functioning properly. I reiterated that this function worked before the new FW. He told me he will go over the problem with the design engineers and get back to me. It doesn't sound too good. It sounds like they are going to say that this is not a feature avilable on this player, but I'm awaiting his reply. As soon as I hear anything I will post it. If others are having this problem, and I know they are, would you please call Panasonic at 1-888-263-4752 to report it and get a case # also, I think it helps for some reason. Thanks. If this function worked before it can work again.
post #10553 of 14981 Old 02-23-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:

Yes, I did a reboot and reset. I used the Others menu option for restore default settings , which it did. Do you believe that the second option (factory preset -No setting) would make more of a difference?

I doubt that it will help, but what have you got to lose? I guess it will take you a few minutes to put all your settings back in.
post #10554 of 14981 Old 02-23-2009, 03:36 PM

I've seen a screensaver mentioned on this last page a few times and I'm a bit confused. The only screensaver I've been able to see after enabling it in the BD35 setup shows up when I'm listening to CDs and have my Panny plasma on so I can view the tracks. I called Panny about the lack of one for when my movie is paused for-insert any amount of time here-and the CSR thought it was kind of silly I wanted one. He didn't come right out and say so, but you could tell. He said he would add my request for one to whatever list they have for requested upgrades. But why not have it there to begin with? Or am I missing something? Thanks for your replies.
post #10555 of 14981 Old 02-23-2009, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxmanrocks View Post

I've seen a screensaver mentioned on this last page a few times and I'm a bit confused. The only screensaver I've been able to see after enabling it in the BD35 setup shows up when I'm listening to CDs and have my Panny plasma on so I can view the tracks. I called Panny about the lack of one for when my movie is paused for-insert any amount of time here-and the CSR thought it was kind of silly I wanted one. He didn't come right out and say so, but you could tell. He said he would add my request for one to whatever list they have for requested upgrades. But why not have it there to begin with? Or am I missing something? Thanks for your replies.

Owner's manual, page 32.
post #10556 of 14981 Old 02-23-2009, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I was home sick today, so had some time to experiment with some of the issues being discussed here.

My setup:

BD35 with FW 1.7. No extra memory, no Internet connection.
Onkyo TX-SR706
Sony KDL-40S4100 LCD tv

Replay after STOP with SD DVD: While watching the SD DVD of Outbreak, I pressed STOP ONCE. After waiting several minutes, pressed PLAY. DVD resumed play exactly where it stopped. Have not tried this with a Blu-Ray disc or after pressing STOP twice.

HDMI resolution set to AUTO: Native resolution of my Sony is 1080p. When playing an SD DVD with HDMI Resolution set to AUTO, tv Status Display shows input signal of 1080p. Turning on 24p with an SD DVD shows up as 1080p24 on the tv status display. So obviously, the player is matching its resolution to the native resolution of the tv.

Firmware Version 1.7: No ill effects. I am bitstreaming the audio via HDMI to the TX-SR706 for decoding. No impact to channel levels or LFE levels since going from FW 1.3 to 1.7.
post #10557 of 14981 Old 02-23-2009, 05:36 PM

Bluesky636,
I've enabled it from day one, only to see it when viewing the CD menu, never when watching a movie--have sat through a dinner+ with the spouse and even she asked why wasn't there a screen saver. Have you seen it when watching a movie? Are screen savers only available with certain movies (feature embedded in the blu-ray disc)?
post #10558 of 14981 Old 02-23-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG707 View Post

I called today. The first customer Rep. was no help at all so I eventually talked to a supervisor and explained to him that standard dvds would not resume play to the position that they were last paused at after the bd35 had been powered down and then powered back up. I told him that this function worked prior to the 1.7 FW update. He told me that the design engineers did not design these specs into the player so the player is functioning properly. I reiterated that this function worked before the new FW. He told me he will go over the problem with the design engineers and get back to me. It doesn't sound too good. It sounds like they are going to say that this is not a feature avilable on this player, but I'm awaiting his reply. As soon as I hear anything I will post it. If others are having this problem, and I know they are, would you please call Panasonic at 1-888-263-4752 to report it and get a case # also, I think it helps for some reason. Thanks. If this function worked before it can work again.

Resume playback on SD DVD should work, and It was designed into this unit. How do you explain that the same movie resumes playback sometimes and it doesn't the next time? It's clearly an issue.... People needs to contact Panasonic. Some of these rep doesn't even understand Blu Ray players...
post #10559 of 14981 Old 02-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 View Post

I was home sick today, so had some time to experiment with some of the issues being discussed here.

My setup:

BD35 with FW 1.7. No extra memory, no Internet connection.
Onkyo TX-SR706
Sony KDL-40S4100 LCD tv

Replay after STOP with SD DVD: While watching the SD DVD of Outbreak, I pressed STOP ONCE. After waiting several minutes, pressed PLAY. DVD resumed play exactly where it stopped. Have not tried this with a Blu-Ray disc or after pressing STOP twice.

HDMI resolution set to AUTO: Native resolution of my Sony is 1080p. When playing an SD DVD with HDMI Resolution set to AUTO, tv Status Display shows input signal of 1080p. Turning on 24p with an SD DVD shows up as 1080p24 on the tv status display. So obviously, the player is matching its resolution to the native resolution of the tv.

Firmware Version 1.7: No ill effects. I am bitstreaming the audio via HDMI to the TX-SR706 for decoding. No impact to channel levels or LFE levels since going from FW 1.3 to 1.7.

What I'm actually referring to is when you pause or stop a DVD and then turn the bd35 OFF, later when you turn the bd35 ON to resume watching the movie it will not start at the point that it was paused at, it starts the movie at the beginning again. Maybe that's a little clearer for you I hope.
post #10560 of 14981 Old 02-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Resume playback on SD DVD should work, and It was designed into this unit. How do you explain that the same movie resumes playback sometimes and it doesn't the next time? It's clearly an issue.... People needs to contact Panasonic. Some of these rep doesn't even understand Blu Ray players...

I totally agree with you. The first C.R. I talked to did not understand that the "resum play" function actually existed on other DVD players she insisted that it only works if you keep the player "ON" at all times. That's why I immediately ask to speak to a supervisor (that's typically what I do most of the time just so I don't have to deal with all their "flunkies"). Hopefully between the two of us we can get some answers that will lead to a fix.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bh200 Super Blu Blu Ray Hd Dvd Combo Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page