post #92 of 14981 Old 10-15-2008, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb53 View Post

I just got my BD55 today and watched Ironman. I have a Panasonic 50" plasma PZ700U. Before the Blu-ray player I was using an Onkyo 405 DVD player, which does upconvert. Everything is hooked up with HDMI cables and goes thru a Onkyo 605 receiver. While watching Ironman I commented to all in the room "does this player, playback this movie stunningly better than what the Onkyo 405 did with other movies we have watched". The answer from all in the room..........NO. Now don't get me wrong, it's a very good picture and the receiver informed us that it was receiving in 5.1 audio and the TV was receiving the 1080P signal. But unless I don't have it hooked up correctly, it dosen't seem to be worth the $400.

Isn't the Onkyo 405 a DVD player???

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #93 of 14981 Old 10-15-2008, 05:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb53 View Post

I'm not giving up, and I know its only been one movie. I was told get Planet Earth for a good example of High-Def. I guess I was expecting something more as compared to an upconverted DVD. Like you say it depends on how the movie is made and copied to Blu-Ray.

What you should have been told is to get your television properly calibrated, adjust your seating distance, re-adjust your audio, etc.

You can do a search and find literally hundreds of people complaining that BD/HD-DVD didn't "wow them" with the cause being everything from poorly adjusted TV, old lamp (projector), needing glasses (literally), and heightened expectations.

Many of us ARE floored with the improvements that this technology offers in our home theaters (or even modest apartment rigs) so if you aren't happy and aren't willing to put the time and effort in to get the most out of your setup then please return your player.

What isn't helpful is when someone like yourself comes in and tries to rain on the parade when most of the people here already know exactly what to expect in AQ/PQ from a BD player (you can go into any brick and mortar store and compare DVD to BD if you don't know what the difference is).
post #94 of 14981 Old 10-15-2008, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking at getting a Panasonic DMP-BD30/35 for Bluray + AVCHD/JPEG via SD slot playback. Other than audio and size, is there any differences?
post #95 of 14981 Old 10-15-2008, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanab View Post

As I was reading this page,FedEx rang the doorbell. My 55 came one day early from CC. Wooppee ! ! Now to read the manual and hook her up. The new Indy movie should be here tomorrow for the first audition. Will let you know then. Bye unDTS-MA Pio 51. I have an old Denon AVR 3802 w/analog in. Mits HC 1000 on 92" Firehawk. Yum yum....

I'll be looking forward to your post. I have a Denon AVR 3802 also.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #96 of 14981 Old 10-15-2008, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rveras View Post

Like TVs that can accept DeepColor? My TV, a Panasonic 50PZ800, has the ability to accept this signal so you can see the benefits of the BD35's chroma upsampling. I just want to know if it is a visible improvement.

The only way to know that is to try the player. I can tell you what I see on my display, but we have very different displays so that may mean little to you. What I see on the BD35 as far as color reproduction is slightly deeper, richer color yet not really oversaturated. Even with the deeper colors, there is still better delineation of subtle shadings and detail within colors. Pretty neat trick.

Quote:

By the way why didn't you include the java loading screen timing on your measurements? I remember my Samsung 1400 will take approximately the same time as my BH200 to get to the Java loading screen but once it got there it was not contests. For example, at the Ratatouille "hula hoops" load screen the 1400 expend over a minute there. The load screens only last 15 secs on the BH200!!

I don't consider a Java loading screen pertinent to this measure of performance. Something on the screen to tell me that the player is working isn't the same thing as finally getting to the recorded contents. How fast the player gets to the Java icon, or how long the icon stays on screen don't matter, IMO. What matters is how long it takes the player to actually play.
post #97 of 14981 Old 10-15-2008, 06:09 PM

I'm totally convinced that it is now impossible to have an owner's thread.
post #98 of 14981 Old 10-15-2008, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyinn View Post

Yes, but mine does not work well. There is Frame-by-Frame (pg 20). However, after I pause, it only lets me advance 3 or 4 frames. There is also slow motion. After you pause, you can pick three or four different speeds. If you pick the first speed, you have time to hit pause before the next frame. Doing this you can get frame by frame. Do others have problems with the Frame-by-Frame feature?

Freeze frame works great.
You may be making the same mistake I did at first by pressing pause, then play or fast forward. You need to press pause, then the right arrow button on the circular button that has "OK" in the middle, advances frame by frame.
If that's not working for you, there are further settings for still mode listed at the top of page 31.

to each his own...
post #99 of 14981 Old 10-15-2008, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just this second hooked up the 35 and put blu-ray Hairspray on. I hope I like it.

TV - Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma
L/R - Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweets in piano black
C - Ascend Sierra Horizon with RAAL Tweet in piano black
Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
post #100 of 14981 Old 10-15-2008, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post

I just this second hooked up the 35 and put blu-ray Hairspray on. I hope I like it.

my virgin blu-ray experience

Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
post #101 of 14981 Old 10-15-2008, 07:50 PM

Well.....I picked up the BD35 from a B&M store tonight. My first Blu-ray player.

Mind you I have nothing to compare the Audio/Video quality to. I just hooked it up to my new Panasonic 85U and took Iron Man for a test drive. I was blown away by the picture. Now I'm off to order more Blu-ray discs.
post #102 of 14981 Old 10-15-2008, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Does the subwoofer usually have to be tweaked when watching bluray as PCM? Not sure if I am getting as much bass as I was with the regular DVD.

Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
post #103 of 14981 Old 10-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 45
just wondering as my player wont arrive untill the 28th when you set the player to pcm with the 96khz thing on(if its not an auto feature) through hdmi, does the reviever say "PCM 96KHZ" and how is it better than the standard 48khz does it really add to the sound or is it a gimmic?

man i should have ordered a CC giftcard, but thats life. cant wait to get a "real" bd player

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #104 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caa100 View Post

It has already been posted in this thread that the DMP-BD35 will not play a PAL title.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post14867390

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibo01 View Post

Thanks Robert.
I may have to wait if it is true for PAL BD35/55 players as well...

Just to shed a bit more light on this matter, reading BD30/50 manuals (they have very similar specs to 35/55), it seems that the PAL models can read NTSC discs identified as PAL60 (user selectable); however, US NTSC models cannot do viceversa.
post #105 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 03:35 AM

I received the unit from CC yesterday. I played Mr & Mrs Smith to test the DTS-HD MA 7:1 analog output to my non HDMI receiver

Setup was very easy with the instructions provided. I use the HDMI video output to a 3-way HDMI switcher; and then to tv. I conected the 7:1 RCA analog cables from the BD to the external inputs on the bak of my Denon 8303 receiver. I followed the BD player on-screen setup menu for tv, video and audio settings. Put in the disk and Voila! The whole process was completed in 30 minutes. Everything worked! I was amazed how easy it was.

The soundtrack was outstanding compared to DTS-ES or Dolby Digital-EX.
The receiver would not allow any speaker or subwoofer adjustments when playing an EXT-IN audio source. However, the BD player does have the ability to adjust speaker settings before outputting analog audio. I was unable to try this last night; but will tonight.

I was nearly resigned to purchasing a HDMI capable AV receiver; in order to obtain lossless audio; but thus far; it appears that this BD player may have saved me $1,000. or more.

My system:
Panasonic DMP-BD55 BD player
Denon AVR-3803 receiver
Fujitsu PDP (1080i resolution)
Mirage Omnisat (v1) satellite speakers
Mirage Omnisat (v1) center channel speaker
Velodyne CT-120 subwoofer
Octava 3:1 HDMI Switch
Monoprice cables

Next up: Ironman (Dolby TrueHD)
post #106 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaz View Post

I received the unit from CC yesterday. I played Mr & Mrs Smith to test the DTS-HD MA 7:1 analog output to my non HDMI receiver

Setup was very easy with the instructions provided. I use the HDMI video output to a 3-way HDMI switcher; and then to tv. I conected the 7:1 RCA analog cables from the BD to the external inputs on the bak of my Denon 8303 receiver. I followed the BD player on-screen setup menu for tv, video and audio settings. Put in the disk and Voila! The whole process was completed in 30 minutes. Everything worked! I was amazed how easy it was.

The receiver would not allow any speaker or subwoofer adjustments when playing an EXT-IN audio source. However, the BD player does have the ability to adjust speaker settings before outputting analog audio. I was unable to try this last night; but will tonight.

I was nearly resigned to purchasing a HDMI capable AV receiver; in order to obtain lossless audio; but thus far; it appears that this BD player may have saved me $1,000. or more.

My system:
Denon AVR-3803 receiver
Monoprice cables

Thanks, I am very interested in hearing what you say. What adjustments are available on the BD55 to help integrate the sound with an EXT in input
post #107 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Costanza View Post

I'm totally convinced that it is now impossible to have an owner's thread.

Tony, the problem is......(drum roll icon missing from list)...

only a handful of people have one. Mine is on order from Crutchfield with a delivery expectation of 11-????? So what am I going to write.
post #108 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhain1 View Post

Thanks, I am very interested in hearing what you say. What adjustments are available on the BD55 to help integrate the sound with an EXT in input

It appears from the manual that you can adjust speaker volume levels and delys based on speaker distances. There is a caveat regarding subwoofer adjustment that I won't fully understand ; until I try the adjustmenys. I will try these this evening and report tomorrow am.
post #109 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post

Also, can someone please refer to the manual for the BD55 and clear up if in the speaker setup for the analog outs, it includes: Small/Large setting, speakers level adjustment and distance adjustments. The BD10 and BD50 at least included these so I would think the BD55 is the same. Would be nice if they added an adjustable crossover so it can be set at 80 Hz instead of locked at 100.

Hi Tommy,

I'm looking for an on-line manual to help answer some questions, but in the meantime Chris Boylan of Big Picture, Big Sound, has written an excellent review that answers your questions regarding the analog audio adjustments.

Panasonic DMP-BD55 (DMP-BD55K) Blu-ray Player: Review By Chris Boylan

Quote:

Analog 7.1 Surround: The Final Frontier

If you use the 7.1 channel analog outputs, then you'll want to go into the TV / Device set-up screens to adjust the speaker levels, speaker size (large/small) and speaker delays. In a 7.1 channel system, it is ideal to have all speakers the same distance from the listener but reality and available placement options sometimes prevent that. The Analog Audio Output screen allows you to adjust these parameters (you get to it by clicking on the 5.1 or 7.1 output options in Analog Audio Output, under TV / Device Connection). Here you can selectively turn on or off any set of channels (and set the speaker to "small" or "large") just by clicking on the speakers in the set-up diagram. This allows you to set your system up in any configuration from two speakers to seven speakers with or without a subwoofer and the player will mix the soundtrack accordingly.

If you set the speakers to small, the crossover will send them only frequencies above 100 Hz. Set to large, the speakers get a full range signal. Speaker level adjustments are available in 1 dB increments from 0 to -6 db (front left/right) and 0 to -12 dB for the center and surrounds.

The center channel speaker delay can be adjusted from 0 to 5 milliseconds (ms) in .1 ms increments. The rear and side surrounds can be adjusted up to 15 milliseconds (also in .1 ms increments). The left and right speakers have no delay adjustment as these are the reference channels. Panasonic includes a handy reference table in the user manual that allows you to correlate distance to delay. For example, if the rear speakers are about 1.1 feet closer to you than the main left and right speakers then you should adjust the delay for the rears to 1.0 ms.

I connected the 7.1 channel analog outputs up to an Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver's multi-channel input, and used our trusty Radio Shack analog SPL meter to set levels using the player's built-in pink noise test tone. When doing the set-up I noticed that only the main left and right outputs were active. I disabled the player's HDMI audio output in the TV/Device connection set-up menu, tried again and found that all 7.1 outputs were live. A couple of odd things came up during level calibration, though. When you adjust levels on the individual channels, the adjustment is not done in real time - it sounds like your adjustments are doing nothing. However, when the test tone cycles around again to that channel, you will hear the results of the level change. This makes set-up a bit awkward, but you'll get the hang of it. Also, there is a button on the speaker set-up screen that says "Complete." You must hit this button when you're done calibrating levels to save your changes. I think it would be better for Panasonic to label this "Save Changes" as this would be consistent with most other applications. I quit out of the configuration screen at least once without hitting "Complete" and lost my changes.

Once configured, the sound from the Panasonic's on-board decoders was quite good. Listening to tracks from a DTS-HD Blu-ray sampler disc, as well as Blu-ray titles such as Forbidden Kingdom (DTS-HD MA 7.1), Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds: Live at Radio City (Dolby TrueHD 96/24 5.1) and Blade Runner: The Final Cut (Dolby TrueHD 5.1), the player created an immersive and enveloping soundstage with excellent dynamics and throbbing deep bass. If your receiver or preamp/processor lacks HDMI inputs but does have a 5.1 or 7.1-channel analog input, the BD55 provides a good solution for adding next generation high bit rate audio to your system.

Larry
post #110 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaz View Post

My system:
Denon AVR-3803 receiver
Monoprice cables

So I am going to use the analogs for the lossless sound too.
Do you put the bd 55 to pcm or bitstream to achieve this?
How is lossless? Can u tell the difference?
post #111 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I was considering the Sony S550 because of the $150.00 credit they are promoting. I found out it didn't do frame advance or slo mo so I'm now going to get a BD35/55. I've read through this thread and have one question. Do any owners have DVD RAM disks? I have a few movies on DVD RAM and am almost sure the Panasonic players will read them since Panasonic (I believe) created the format. Can someone check and make sure they read DVD RAM?

lujan
654 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #112 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 06:46 AM

Hey all, Just returned the Sammy 2500 b/c I couldn't get it to do 24fps going into my Onkyo 876 out to my Samsung 52A850! Glad to be a Panasonic Bluray owner again. I actually missed my BD30...I have a serious case of upgrade-itis, I got the S350, the 2500 and now back to the BD35. I can say that I think this player is the most detailed out of the many I have owned (going from memory, so BS really). But my initial impressions are good, no issues so far.
post #113 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Do any owners have DVD RAM disks? I have a few movies on DVD RAM and am almost sure the Panasonic players will read them since Panasonic (I believe) created the format. Can someone check and make sure they read DVD RAM?

Mine gets delivered tomorrow, so I can't answer with hands-on certainty...
But the Spec Sheet on Panny's Site says Yes.

Link: http://panasonic.net/avc/blu-ray/dmp...fications.html

TekWorm
post #114 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 07:30 AM

Was able to test the BD 55 yesterday.
First of all this is my first Blu-ray player and my current DVD player is a 6 years old prog scan Denon DVD player connected with component.

Test material :
Panasonic BD 55
Arcam Avr 300
Panasonic Ptae 700 (720 P)
Boston accoustics VR serie Speakers
Screen size 200 Inch base.

Connection :
HDMI cable 13 feet Monster 1000 serie from BD 55 to Ptae 700
8 high quality analog cable from BD 55 to AVR 300.

Blue ray Disc
Indy 4
Sleeping Beauty
How the west was won

DVD
Eagles Farewell tour 1

It was very easy to hook up both with HDMI and the 7.1 cables, it is not very clear what surround speakers you are using for the 5.1 or the 7.1 so I hook up the "wrong ones"
Basic configuration on screen very easy and logic. Did not had time to go to other config. Select output to be 7.1.

Load time for me was long but this is my first exerience with blu-ray so...
Built quality of player is fine I would wish for more details on the screen of player (no info beside time...)

Overall image quality is amazing with great dark and very detailed color and with some movies almost a 3 D aspect that I have not seen before.

Indy 4 :
THX logo simply breathtaking with the image and the sound (7.1 amazing sound clarity)
The few min of movie are great with good clarity of image and sound

Sleeping Beauty
Preview of Tinker bell DVD took my breath away and my girls too. Very well done
The movie presentation is great and the sound amazing for such an old movie. I found some bass kicking in with a very spatial mixe. Image is very detailed and I was able to see things that was not seen before

How the west was won
I have seen the movie in the various stages of restoration but the work done on this one is again amazing the Smily presentation is almost 3 D and the wild west landscape superbe. the new sound mix give a very wide sound field with again some powerfull bass not expected in a movie that old.

Eagles Farewell tour.
Image quality compare to old player is better with again darker black (is it player or cable connection, don't know...). Sound is again deeper extended sound field and more detailed.

Overall, with no specific tweeking I feel I have a new hometheater with much better image quality and an improved overall sound that is more detailed have deeper bass and a larger sound field. I will start the tweeking this week end.
post #115 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 07:35 AM

Congrats Peco
For that 7.1 analog audio do you output pcm or bitstream from the bd 55?
post #116 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstanko View Post

Tony, the problem is......(drum roll icon missing from list)...

only a handful of people have one. Mine is on order from Crutchfield with a delivery expectation of 11-????? So what am I going to write.

There is another 35/55 thread for idle chatter. An owner's thread should be reserved for questions about operation, quirks, bugs etc. Idle chatter makes it difficult for a new owner to read the entire thread in hopes of picking up some pointers. For example why fill this thread with "Ah the FedEx truck will be here tomorrow".

Tony
post #117 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony costanza View Post

there is another 35/55 thread for idle chatter. An owner's thread should be reserved for questions about operation, quirks, bugs etc. Idle chatter makes it difficult for a new owner to read the entire thread in hopes of picking up some pointers. For example why fill this thread with "ah the fedex truck will be here tomorrow".

Tony

+1
post #118 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:

For that 7.1 analog audio do you output pcm or bitstream from the bd 55?

Not sure I used the default set up wich I believe is Bitstream, I have looked at the user manual but this is not that clear to me yet..
post #119 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

post #120 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobonsai View Post

So I am going to use the analogs for the lossless sound too.
Do you put the bd 55 to pcm or bitstream to achieve this?
How is lossless? Can u tell the difference?

You select 7:1 analog out; and the player decodes and then sends the audio out via the analog ouputs.

Yes you can tell the difference. It is outstanding.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bh200 Super Blu Blu Ray Hd Dvd Combo Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page