Forum Jump: 

post #11971 of 14982 Old 04-30-2009, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

I have watched this movie two times without a problem on my 35.

+1 with FW 1.8

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11972 of 14982 Old 04-30-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG707 View Post

I encountered my first problem with my bd35 today. I purchased my bd35 the first week that it was released and since then I have watched appox. 30 blu-rays and probably 25 dvds. Today I tried loading Bedtime Stories (1.8 FW and a 4GB SDHC card) and everytime it came to the second set of gumballs it would stop and restart, loading from the beginning. It did this 3 or 4 times, so I took my card out and tried again. This time it loaded and played after the second try. I know this is a problem, I was just wondering if Panasonic intends on doing anything about this? I kept my player connected to the net via hardwired CAT6 cable during this whole process.

I had problems with BS loading also. I eventually took out the SD card and disabled BD Live. It loaded fine afterwards.

After watching, I re-enabled BD Live and reinstalled the card. I reloaded BS and everything worked fine. It may be a problem with the BS BD Live connection.
post #11973 of 14982 Old 04-30-2009, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyS View Post

Anyone have any issues watching 7 pounds with Will Smith? I have the BDP-35 and the movie bombs at the 24 min mark.

No problems here. FW 1.6
post #11974 of 14982 Old 05-01-2009, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Until there is new FW, BS will not work on any/most BD35.

It's a good thing I didn't know this before I watched BS last Sunday!

It had an EXTREMELY long wait before the 'loading' gumballs appeared - I was just about to try and restart the process.

After that it played without a problem.....BD35 - FW 1.7

Wyatt
post #11975 of 14982 Old 05-01-2009, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Seven pounds. Watched it in regular def. Great movie; because it made me fix some loose cables (heard audio distortion...led to fix cycle).

Watched it twice? Ouch.
post #11976 of 14982 Old 05-02-2009, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG707 View Post

I encountered my first problem with my bd35 today. I purchased my bd35 the first week that it was released and since then I have watched appox. 30 blu-rays and probably 25 dvds. Today I tried loading Bedtime Stories (1.8 FW and a 4GB SDHC card) and everytime it came to the second set of gumballs it would stop and restart, loading from the beginning. It did this 3 or 4 times, so I took my card out and tried again. This time it loaded and played after the second try. I know this is a problem, I was just wondering if Panasonic intends on doing anything about this? I kept my player connected to the net via hardwired CAT6 cable during this whole process.

I have the BD55 with a 4GB card, I tried 3 times and it would not load. So, had to get my son's PS3 and hook it up. It played perfectly on the PS3 and loaded pretty fast (but it was as if a jet engine was in the room, the PS3 is quite noisy).
post #11977 of 14982 Old 05-02-2009, 11:40 AM

I have just purchased a Panasonic DMP-DB35 blu-ray player. I also have a Panasonic DVD Recorder.

When pointing either of the remotes at the devices, BOTH blu-ray & dvd rec turn on or off as the case maybe.
If i want to watch a blu-ray i dont want my dvd recorder turned on or vice-versa.

Is there any way around this. Both remotes must be sending out the same signals.

Thanks if you can help me.
post #11978 of 14982 Old 05-02-2009, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by busman12 View Post

I have just purchased a Panasonic DMP-DB35 blu-ray player. I also have a Panasonic DVD Recorder.

When pointing either of the remotes at the devices, BOTH blu-ray & dvd rec turn on or off as the case maybe.
If i want to watch a blu-ray i dont want my dvd recorder turned on or vice-versa.

Is there any way around this. Both remotes must be sending out the same signals.

Thanks if you can help me.

Lose the manual?

Check out page 33. Recorder can probably do the same - take your choice.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #11979 of 14982 Old 05-02-2009, 09:13 PM

I am going to be purchasing a Panasonic BD55 and will be using the analog outputs hocked up to my Marantz SR18 receiver. I will need to use the analog outputs because the my receiver does not have HDMI capability. I do understand how to configure the audio settings in the BD55. However, one thing is a little confusing to me. It is implied when using the analog outputs on the BD55 that one must do the speaker settings for distance in the player. My Marantz receiver will let me do speaker settings when using either the analog or digital inputs. When using the BD55 why cant I just use the receiver's setups for speakers distance, level and bass peak level?
post #11980 of 14982 Old 05-02-2009, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottiman View Post

I am going to be purchasing a Panasonic BD55 and will be using the analog outputs hocked up to my Marantz SR18 receiver. I will need to use the analog outputs because the my receiver does not have HDMI capability. I do understand how to configure the audio settings in the BD55. However, one thing is a little confusing to me. It is implied when using the analog outputs on the BD55 that one must do the speaker settings for distance in the player. My Marantz receiver will let me do speaker settings when using either the analog or digital inputs. When using the BD55 why cant I just use the receiver's setups for speakers distance, level and bass peak level?

If your receiver does BM over analog 5.1 or 7.1 you can just disable this feature in the BD55. I have a Pioneer 49TXi that does BM over its analogs and just leave the speaker settings off entirely in the 55's setup menus. Works great except for the 55's "Creation" of the extra 2.0 in the rears when you only have a 5.1 source.

Seems even the Pioneer 05/09 units will be doing the same with their analog decoding but don't with bitstreaming. I don't know why the firmware does not allow those of us with good BM enabled pre-amps/receivers to chose the 5.1 vs 7.1 upcoded analog outputs.

Isn't it time someone promoted quality as value?
post #11981 of 14982 Old 05-02-2009, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottiman View Post

If your processor redigitizes the analog inputs allowing you do bass management, distance, EQ, and other such processing in the Marantz, then you don't have to do the speaker setups in the BD55. In fact, do them in one place or the other, but not both. Using your Marantz will involve an extra A-D/D-A step. But, if it has better digital processing tools, then it might be worth the extra conversions.
post #11982 of 14982 Old 05-03-2009, 01:21 AM

Just to clarify (as this is a very long thread and I don't have time to look through all 300+ pages):

- If I have a receiver that does not have HDMI inputs or BluRay audio codecs, the best sound I am going to get on the 35 is by setting it to "bitstream" and turning the secondary audio to "ON", correct? This will give downgrade me to standard DTS and DD.
- Or should I set it to PCM and let the player do the decoding and try to send the HD audio signals out to the reciever? It's a pretty standard Onkyo receiver (HT-R430, one of those HTiB deals) but I'm not ready to upgrade quite yet.

I just want to get the best audio that I can for right now. BTW, I'm using an HDMI out for video and an optical out for audio. Thanks!
post #11983 of 14982 Old 05-03-2009, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

Lose the manual?

Check out page 33. Recorder can probably do the same - take your choice.

Sorry, i should have looked in the manual before posting.
Found page 33. Thanks.
post #11984 of 14982 Old 05-03-2009, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moematthews View Post

Uh - the fact that Will Smith is in it?

yep. i hate that guy.

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #11985 of 14982 Old 05-03-2009, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedeth View Post

Just to clarify (as this is a very long thread and I don't have time to look through all 300+ pages):

- If I have a receiver that does not have HDMI inputs or BluRay audio codecs, the best sound I am going to get on the 35 is by setting it to "bitstream" and turning the secondary audio to "ON", correct? This will give downgrade me to standard DTS and DD.
- Or should I set it to PCM and let the player do the decoding and try to send the HD audio signals out to the reciever? It's a pretty standard Onkyo receiver (HT-R430, one of those HTiB deals) but I'm not ready to upgrade quite yet.

I just want to get the best audio that I can for right now. BTW, I'm using an HDMI out for video and an optical out for audio. Thanks!

Your best audio will likely be to let the player decode the high def audio and send it via analog to your receiver (i.e., 6 rca cables from the player to the receiver). Turning secondary audio to "ON" will likely degrade this sound somewhat so leave that off. Sorry, I don't use analog, so it's up to someone else to give you your answer, or you could try reading the manual regarding the analog hookup.

PS you don't want to downgrade your sound to lossy standard DTS or lossy standard DD, you want the lossless sound from DTS HD MA or TrueHD or PCM, which you can still get via analog.
post #11986 of 14982 Old 05-03-2009, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you do not have and HDMI input on your receiver and only have optical (Toslink) inputs or digital coax inputs, the best you will ever get are the lossy codecs (Dolby Digital/DD EX or DTS/DTS ES). You will NOT get any of the lossless codecs as optical or coax digital inputs do not have the bandwidth

Use bitstream out to pass the basic lossy bitstream to your receiver. If you select pcm, the 35 will output 2-channel downmixed pcm only.

See pages 8, 9, and 31 of the owner's manual.

Bottom line, if you want lossless audio you will have to upgrae your AVR.
post #11987 of 14982 Old 05-03-2009, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post

Your best audio will likely be to let the player decode the high def audio and send it via analog to your receiver (i.e., 6 rca cables from the player to the receiver). Turning secondary audio to "ON" will likely degrade this sound somewhat so leave that off. Sorry, I don't use analog, so it's up to someone else to give you your answer, or you could try reading the manual regarding the analog hookup.

PS you don't want to downgrade your sound to lossy standard DTS or lossy standard DD, you want the lossless sound from DTS HD MA or TrueHD or PCM, which you can still get via analog.

BD35 does NOT have 5.1/7.1 analog out. Only the BD55 has that. BD35 is 2-channel analog out only.
post #11988 of 14982 Old 05-03-2009, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

hello, gents. hope i don't get bashed for asking this, as i am sure it has been asked. anyway. i am a sissy when it comes to this kind of stuff.

can i move the BD35 to my office. connect it to my office HDTV with hdmi. plug a lan into the "extra" port on my COMCAST ARRIS telephone/broadband modem, and the BD35(of cource). and have it update ? or perhaps disconnect my computer and use that port ?

like i said. i am sissy at this stuff. and sometimes i don't fully understand owners
manuals.

thanx a ton.

i "tried" to watch DEATH RACE last night. the movie kept locking up, pixelating, etc. i finally shut it off. my player has the original software.

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #11989 of 14982 Old 05-03-2009, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:

I just want to get the best audio that I can for right now. BTW, I'm using an HDMI out for video and an optical out for audio.

As others have noted, you can't get multichannel lossless from a BD35 without HDMI. But, the legacy DTS core and embedded DD 5.1 tracks on BD are less compressed than the versions on DVD and sound great, often as good as lossless. So, you'll still get excellent sound using an optical connection to your receiver.
post #11990 of 14982 Old 05-03-2009, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

can someone point me to a tutorial for setting up the internet connection ?
i have no idea where to get the numbers at are needed.

thanx

BD35

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #11991 of 14982 Old 05-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 View Post

BD35 does NOT have 5.1/7.1 analog out. Only the BD55 has that. BD35 is 2-channel analog out only.

I know it doesn't have 7.1 analog out, now I know/remember it doesn't have 5.1 analog either (also thanks to my handy flashlight that I should have used this a.m.). That was the DB50.

In that case you probably just want your receiver to decode the lossy DD/DTS. Optical, coax, pick your poison.
post #11992 of 14982 Old 05-03-2009, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabricator View Post

can someone point me to a tutorial for setting up the internet connection ?
i have no idea where to get the numbers at are needed.

thanx

BD35

Usually the router just assigns addresses. So you connect the cable, then go into the Setup->Network dialog to verify that the connection works.

If that is not sufficient, then the instructions in the manual are probably the best advice, to copy the number from another device, changing just the last value:

Quote:

After checking the specifications for your broadband router, enter
each number. If the number is unknown, then check the number of
other devices such as personal computers connected via a LAN
cable. Assign a different number from those of other devices for the
IP Address and the same number for others.

If a wrong number is entered, then press [CANCEL].

The numeric input range is between 0 and 255.

post #11993 of 14982 Old 05-03-2009, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
You only need to enter an IP address/gateway address if you don't want your router or cable modem to assign it via dhcp. I'm thinking with most cable modems you probably have to use dhcp unless you have commercial account with static IP's.

I bet most folks are setup to use DHCP......

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #11994 of 14982 Old 05-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell View Post

The numeric input range is between 0 and 255.

This is literally true, but might be misleading. The values 0 and 255 are generally reserved. Historically, 0 means the subnet itself, and 255 is a broadcast pseudo-address. So the usable values for the final octet of a LAN address are from 1 to 254, inclusive.
post #11995 of 14982 Old 05-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

You only need to enter an IP address/gateway address if you don't want your router or cable modem to assign it via dhcp. I'm thinking with most cable modems you probably have to use dhcp unless you have commercial account with static IP's.

I bet most folks are setup to use DHCP......

DHCP is easier because it should work fine out of the box. But you don't have to use DHCP if you're behind a router. The router separates the LAN addresses from the WAN addresses, so whether the LAN addresses are static or dynamic is up to you.

I use static IP addresses throughout my home LAN (which is comprised of 7 devices plus the router and cable modem). I can then use a HOSTS file to assign names to those static addresses. It makes it easier to keep track of what's going on on the network and also avoids that lag where a device has to dynamically acquire and periodically renew its IP address. But I also allow DHCP for iPhones and such to come and go.
post #11996 of 14982 Old 05-03-2009, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
"can someone point me to a tutorial for setting up the internet connection ?
i have no idea where to get the numbers at are needed."

So you want to tell this guy about HOSTS files bw? Or how about assigning static IP outside of subnet and then can't access the web cause the unit is looking at the wrong set of addresses to pickup gateway?

Needs to pick dhcp, save it, reboot. If he's not picking up the internet then turn off whatever his access device is, cable modem, etc., router, and the unit. Turn on the cable modem, then the router, then the unit and see if that works.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #11997 of 14982 Old 05-03-2009, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Assigning a static IP is trivial and often leads to avoiding conflicts and turning devices on and off. Get over it.
post #11998 of 14982 Old 05-03-2009, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post

This is literally true, but might be misleading. The values 0 and 255 are generally reserved. Historically, 0 means the subnet itself, and 255 is a broadcast pseudo-address. So the usable values for the final octet of a LAN address are from 1 to 254, inclusive.

Nice catch, you are right. I probably should have fixed it, but if I had, then it would not have been a literal quote from the manual anymore.
post #11999 of 14982 Old 05-03-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inphoenix View Post

Not sure what AVCHD lite is, but it plays AVCHD video from my Panasonic HD camcorder just fine.

I guess a modified version of AVCHD but takes up less space when recording 720p.

Tried 1.8 firmware and 1.1(days old firmware) firmware on the Camera, BD35 states cannot play, it see's the video but does not play. Displays photos fine.

Pop the SDCard in my 60GB ps3, plays the video without any problems.
post #12000 of 14982 Old 05-03-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAG View Post

According to page 7 of the BD35 user's manual, the answer is yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inphoenix View Post

Not sure what AVCHD lite is, but it plays AVCHD video from my Panasonic HD camcorder just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidWolve View Post

Just bought a Panasonic DMC-ZS3 Camera, is there any way to get the BD-35 to play the AVCHD Lite on the player through the SD Card?

Actually this was my main hesitation with getting the Zs3, namely the AVCHD Lite format, I am not sure if my players will be updatable to support it and I would love not to have to do a conversion (AVCHD is listed as supported on the BD35, I don't see AVCHD Lite listed anywhere).
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bh200 Super Blu Blu Ray Hd Dvd Combo Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page