Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Owners Thread - Page 433 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12961 of 14982 Old 09-30-2009, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Yes let's move on. Maybe the search function will turn up the correct information as well as the bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

And yes, the non-streaming Panasonic blu-ray players are not able to be suddenly turned into something they were not designed to do via firmware.

Chris Boylan, while speaking of the 2009 lineup which he says does not look much different than the current lineup...

"Yes, Panasonic *could* add Netflix support without any need to update the hardware
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12962 of 14982 Old 09-30-2009, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Like I said Gary your apparently infatuation with this thing says more about you than the thing.

Please feel free to develop the firmware that by adding a firmware update will allow a piece of hardware to suddenly grow capabilities beyond its design.

I'm sure you'd make a ton of money when you do so. Given that you are so convinced it can be done seems like a worthwhile investment on your part. Please let me know when you have it ready to test.

And I'm sorry but Chris is a Panasonic engineer?

Thanks for confirming both of blue's and my posting. Clearly you do not get it.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #12963 of 14982 Old 09-30-2009, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post

quick searches show that hdmi was brought to denon on the 3806, the 3805 lacked hdmi
there is this wonderful thing called google

picture is worth 1000 words
post #12964 of 14982 Old 09-30-2009, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post

picture is worth 1000 words

Hey Wannabe, I think am almost certain I can see HDMI in there. Can you make that picture much bigger for me please?
post #12965 of 14982 Old 09-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Hey Wannabe, I think am almost certain I can see HDMI in there. Can you make that picture much bigger for me please?

hey, for those of us rocking dual 22" widescreen monitors, the photo doesn't even take up a full screen...
post #12966 of 14982 Old 09-30-2009, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Given that you seem to not be able to find the right words it goes like this Gary....

"Upon further reflection and investigation it appears I made a mistake and was wrong. I'm sorry."

Time to be productive again. I just hate it when that happens.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #12967 of 14982 Old 09-30-2009, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

Given that you seem to not be able to find the right words it goes like this Gary....

"Upon further reflection and investigation it appears I made a mistake and was wrong. I'm sorry."

Time to be productive again. I just hate it when that happens.

Please just ignore Gary. Everyone should just stop responding to his taunts and insults.
post #12968 of 14982 Old 10-04-2009, 07:54 AM

I use a Onkyo 705 receiver to listen to DirecTv(sometimes) and Blu-ray, for this the volume on the TV is dropped to zero.

My DirecTV box audio out is connected straight to the receiver via optical and for when I don't use the receiver, a HDMI cable connects DirecTv and TV.

BD-35 is player connected to receiver via HDMI with HDMI going back to TV for video only, no sound .

I have been using this set-up for over a year with no changes to the room.

I'm starting to hear light static coming from the TV's speakers during Blu-ray play,
no adjustment to the TV's speaker settings does anything to get rid of the noise, not even shutting the speakers off.

Only shutting the TV off/on makes the noise go away.

This was occurring with 1.8 firmware, this morning I updated to 2.0 firmware...so not sure if it happens now.

next step is to check the HDMI cable.
any ideas?

EDIT:
definitely coming from Blu-ray use(Panasonic BD-35).
post #12969 of 14982 Old 10-04-2009, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvindd View Post

I use a Onkyo 705 receiver to listen to DirecTv(sometimes) and Blu-ray, for this the volume on the TV is dropped to zero.

My DirecTV box audio out is connected straight to the receiver via optical and for when I don't use the receiver, a HDMI cable connects DirecTv and TV.

BD-35 is player connected to receiver via HDMI with HDMI going back to TV for video only, no sound .

I have been using this set-up for over a year with no changes to the room.

I'm starting to hear light static coming from the TV's speakers during Blu-ray play,
no adjustment to the TV's speaker settings does anything to get rid of the noise, not even shutting the speakers off.

This was occurring with 1.8 firmware, this morning I updated to 2.0 firmware...so not sure if it happens now.

next step is to check the HDMI cable.
any ideas?

EDIT:
definitely coming from Blu-ray use(Panasonic BD-35).

Just some suggestions. Try using a different input source (dvd player instead of blu-ray) into what's currently fed by the 35. Try using a better HDMI cable, or try switching your cables around; perhaps there is some shielding problems with one of them that is causing diginoise to leak into the TV's audio circuitry. Make sure (all of) your HDMI connections are tight.
post #12970 of 14982 Old 10-04-2009, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I was watching State of Play the other day, and my BD35 kept flashing on the screen every 1-2 minutes 'network connection refused.' I have BD Live turned off, and expect that warning a couple of times when the disc first loads. But the message kept flashing through the ENTIRE movie. It was quite distracting and ruined the movie.

I don't know if the movie was really trying to reach out and touch a server on the internet every couple of minutes or if the player was stuck in some weird loop.
post #12971 of 14982 Old 10-04-2009, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngdiego View Post

I was watching State of Play the other day, and my BD35 kept flashing on the screen every 1-2 minutes 'network connection refused.' I have BD Live turned off, and expect that warning a couple of times when the disc first loads. But the message kept flashing through the ENTIRE movie. It was quite distracting and ruined the movie.

I don't know if the movie was really trying to reach out and touch a server on the internet every couple of minutes or if the player was stuck in some weird loop.

Are you certain BD Live is not enabled? The Messages section of the manual has this at the bottom of pg 36.

Network connection refused. Please confirm Setup “BD-Live Internet Access.”

≥ When you set “BD-Live Internet Access” to “Allow (Limited)” and play BD-Live contents which do not have a content owner certificate, the Internet access of the content is not allowed. If you allow the content to connect to Internet, set“BD-Live Internet Access” to “Allow (ALL)”. [page] 30

BD Live is disabled on my 35 and I did not get any messages when watching State of Play (Netflix version).

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #12972 of 14982 Old 10-04-2009, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekguy View Post

Are you certain BD Live is not enabled? The Messages section of the manual has this at the bottom of pg 36.

Network connection refused. Please confirm Setup BD-Live Internet Access.

≥ When you set BD-Live Internet Access to Allow (Limited) and play BD-Live contents which do not have a content owner certificate, the Internet access of the content is not allowed. If you allow the content to connect to Internet, setBD-Live Internet Access to Allow (ALL). [page] 30

BD Live is disabled on my 35 and I did not get any messages when watching State of Play (Netflix version).

Yes it's set to 'prohibit' and on nearly all BD-Live discs I get the warning message when I put the disc in. State of Play is the only one which flashes the message (constantly) during the movie.
post #12973 of 14982 Old 10-04-2009, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You said HDMI audio to the tv from the 705 is turned off. Please explain how you can be hearing sound coming from the tv speakers if there is no audio coming from the 705 and the tv speakers are turned off.

Sounds like a tv problem to me.
post #12974 of 14982 Old 10-04-2009, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Yes it's set to 'prohibit' and on nearly all BD-Live discs I get the warning message when I put the disc in. State of Play is the only one which flashes the message (constantly) during the movie.

Do you actually have an ethernet connection to the BD35? What happens if you disconnect it?

I have no ethernet connection, no additional memory, and BD Live is set to Prohibit. I have never received any sort of error message for any BD Live disc going all the way back to my original firmware of 1.3. I have 2.0 now.
post #12975 of 14982 Old 10-04-2009, 07:36 PM

I am glad I check this forum when I have a problem. I just encountered the "failure to bitstream" problem. I was freaking out - wasn't sure if something was wrong with the receiver; if something was wrong with the HDMI cable; or if there was something wrong with the player itself. I was thinking it was the receiver, since I got video, but "No signal" for the audio type being received. I just finished hooking everything back up after resetting to default settings and leaving it powered off for an extended period of time. Everything's back to normal.

HD A2 (Feb 07)
HD XA2 (Feb 08)
DMP-BD35K (Nov 08)
DMP-BD60K (Jun 09)

HD DVD Titles: 168
Blu-ray Titles: 430
post #12976 of 14982 Old 10-04-2009, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

post #12977 of 14982 Old 10-06-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 View Post

You said HDMI audio to the tv from the 705 is turned off. Please explain how you can be hearing sound coming from the tv speakers if there is no audio coming from the 705 and the tv speakers are turned off.

Sounds like a tv problem to me.

I know it's strange... but after some experiments..the only time I hear static from the TV speakers is when a Blu-ray disc is playing. I'll put in a SD disc, all quiet, pop in Blu- static.

might be a HDMI cable issue..

Also, Saturday night I got BD-35 pixelization and lock-ups, so I did update the firmware from 1.8 to 2.0 Saturday night but have not tested since then.

BD-35 seems to have more operational noise too.
post #12978 of 14982 Old 10-06-2009, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know it's strange... but after some experiments..the only time I hear static from the TV speakers is when a Blu-ray disc is playing. I'll put in a SD disc, all quiet, pop in Blu- static.

Well, the only real difference between SD and BD playback is the color of the laser. Seem to me that video and audio processing is all done by the same DSPs regardless of the laser source.

Quote:

might be a HDMI cable issue..

Could be.

Quote:

Also, Saturday night I got BD-35 pixelization and lock-ups, so I did update the firmware from 1.8 to 2.0 Saturday night but have not tested since then.

What disc were you playing?

Quote:

BD-35 seems to have more operational noise too.

Mechanical? Video? Audio? I have zero noise problems with my 35.
post #12979 of 14982 Old 10-06-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:

What disc were you playing?

Mechanical? Video? Audio? I have zero noise problems with my 35.

Disc playing was "17 Again" while viewing extras.

While paused BD-35 was noisy, probably just fan.
post #12980 of 14982 Old 10-06-2009, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
I do notice some mechanical noise on occassion when accessing discs. It's not very loud but you can hear it if the volume is down. Nothing that would worry me though or become annoying. As an aside I notice the same kind of mechanical noise on my Panasonic DMR-E55K DVD recorder so it may be a Panasonic thing.
post #12981 of 14982 Old 10-08-2009, 04:50 PM

I'm in the research phase before buying my first BD player. From the reviews, especially CNet, I am seriously considering the BD35. I have a ton of DVD's and quality upscaling of them is on the top of my list. I won't be using the profile 2.0 online features.

I'll run it into a Sony KDL-46S4100. I have an old HK reciever that can take coax or optical in for audio with no HDMI input. Dolby/DTS Digital audio is fine for me. I figure I'll run the player into the 46S4100 (for video) with the HDMI cable and send the audio to the HK with the optical output.

I can get the BD35 on eBay (refurbished) for $145 shipped.

Am I on the right track? Is there a better option than the BD35?

I am really concerned about the reports of freezing with the BD60 and BD80. It seems that the freezing isn't an issue with the BD35.

I'd appreciate any advice that would help me with this decision.

Thanks in advance.

Edit to add...
Limited budget <$200
post #12982 of 14982 Old 10-08-2009, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Your plan should work just fine.

I've never had a freeze problem or problems playing any disc I own on my BD35. I have BD Live set to Prohibit, no added memory, and no Internet connection.
post #12983 of 14982 Old 10-08-2009, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you actually have an ethernet connection to the BD35? What happens if you disconnect it?

I have no ethernet connection, no additional memory, and BD Live is set to Prohibit. I have never received any sort of error message for any BD Live disc going all the way back to my original firmware of 1.3. I have 2.0 now.

Yes it has an internet connection so that it can get firmware updates. Never tried operating the unit with the network cable disabled.
post #12984 of 14982 Old 10-09-2009, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaperChuck View Post

I can get the BD35 on eBay (refurbished) for $145 shipped.

I own a BD35 ( as well as a BD30 ) and the 35 is a killer for the price. I love its upconversion of dvds, plus the fact you can select 24p for dvds. If you can get a BD35 I'd say go for it. They are becoming very scarce, and are probably the best of the Panasonic line, before or since, including the BD30.
post #12985 of 14982 Old 10-09-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes it has an internet connection so that it can get firmware updates. Never tried operating the unit with the network cable disabled.

Give it a shot. You have nothing to lose.
post #12986 of 14982 Old 10-10-2009, 07:12 AM

Well, I pulled the trigger. The eBay seller is also selling them for $138 shipped on Amazon. I couldn't pass that up.

Thank you for the input. I feel very good about this purchase after getting advice here.
post #12987 of 14982 Old 10-10-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:

I have a wireless bridge that I share between the BD35 and my Direct TV box. 99.9% of the time I have it hooked up to the Direct TV and just hook it up to the BD35 for firmware updates. I have never had an issue with doing it like this.
post #12988 of 14982 Old 10-10-2009, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hello guys

does this machine have "ycpr4:2:2" ?

i was told to set the player to it. for a better picture on my pj.

thanx

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #12989 of 14982 Old 10-10-2009, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabricator View Post

hello guys

does this machine have "ycpr4:2:2" ?

i was told to set the player to it. for a better picture on my pj.

thanx

The only reference in the owner's manual is on page 35 under JPEG.

Here is what it is all about if you don't know:

http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/colorspace/
post #12990 of 14982 Old 10-10-2009, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
interesting. but. does the bd35 output this ? auto, default, what ?

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bh200 Super Blu Blu Ray Hd Dvd Combo Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page