Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Owners Thread - Page 480 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #14371 of 14982 Old 02-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi - I have a Panasonic DMP BD35K (2.0) from December 2008. It's done a pretty good job, but here's my concern:

About every 5th disc I get from Netflix has had at least one small portion it stuttered to get through. I figured it was Netflix (wear/tear on discs). However, last night I had a standard DVD disc with that problem so I put the disc in my older Panasonic DVD Player/Recorder... and it played 100% smooth. So now I'm wondering if it hasn't been my player all along that's been a bit fussy. In addition, I'd really like one that

- is faster from on-button to tray open
- is faster from tray close to disc menu (blu-ray only)
- has skip-backward 7 sec/skip-forward 30sec functions like my HDTiVo

I really am not interested in streaming features since I already get most services via my HDTiVo.

What should my expectations be for ability to read marginal discs? Has the technology improved in the last two years? Can I get any of my other wish-list features?

Thanks very MUCH!
/j
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14372 of 14982 Old 02-06-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 78
You should post your question in the forum section for this player.

Anyway, have you checked to see if there is a firmware update for your player?

post #14373 of 14982 Old 02-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

I could do that (not sure it's active - player is quite old). But I'm curious in general whether there's some technology reason why a Blu-Ray player would be fussier about DVDs compared to an older player. Maybe the Blu-Ray can see (and stumble because of) smaller defects?

Yes the firmware is current.
/j
post #14374 of 14982 Old 02-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Hi - I have a Panasonic DMP BD35K (2.0) from December 2008. It's done a pretty good job, but here's my concern:

About every 5th disc I get from Netflix has had at least one small portion it stuttered to get through. I figured it was Netflix (wear/tear on discs). However, last night I had a standard DVD disc with that problem so I put the disc in my older Panasonic DVD Player/Recorder... and it played 100% smooth!!!.

So now I'm wondering if it hasn't been my player all along that's been a bit fussy.

Is this a common/known issue?

What should my expectations be for ability to read marginal discs? Would a new player be any better?

Thanks very MUCH!
/j
post #14375 of 14982 Old 02-08-2011, 07:09 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reagan View Post

Couldn't get the new Blu-ray disc of Alice in Wonderland (1951) to play last night. I am running the latest firmware (which was released last April). Anyone else having this problem?

By the way, the disc plays fine on my other Panasonic (the BD60), which seems to have newer firmware.

-R

I'm having the same problem with my BD 55...I hope a FW update is imminent. I would hate to either have to replace this unit and/or have future Disney BDs (Bambi/Naussica, etc.) not play.

Please let me/us know when anyone hears of a FW update...thanks!

"Reciprocity is the wellspring of friendship..."
post #14376 of 14982 Old 02-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkish View Post

I'm having the same problem with my BD 55...I hope a FW update is imminent. I would hate to either have to replace this unit and/or have future Disney BDs (Bambi/Naussica, etc.) not play.

Please let me/us know when anyone hears of a FW update...thanks!

I know nobody ever reads past the current page, but there was a workaround (or two) posted here just the other day... And no doubt you will hear if/when there is a fw update.
post #14377 of 14982 Old 02-09-2011, 05:06 PM

Believe it or not...I decided to see if it would play on my older Panny BD-10AK in my bedroom. It took a while to read and load...but it got to the main menu of Alice in Wonderland and played the film with the black bars. And the last FW update of the BD-10AK was almost 3 years ago.

Go figure!?

"Reciprocity is the wellspring of friendship..."
post #14378 of 14982 Old 02-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I've owned the BD-55 for 2 years now, and it has all but stopped playing BDs altogether. I've yet to upgrade with firmware, simply because I'm not savvy when it comes to interacting HT elements with the internet. However, I'm not sure that it even is a firmware issue. I can understand that certain BDs produced later might not work without firmware upgrade. But on my machine, BDs that once played without issue on my machine months earlier will not even play at all now. If they do play, I have to insert them in-and-out about 5 times before they're able to read, but this doesn't always work. DVDs all work fine.

Does this still sound like a firmware issue? Do I just have to download the latest firmware onto a disc and insert it into the machine? Or is there something else going on? Even when certain BDs work, they'll possibly freeze up constantly, or i'll hear strange noises coming from the machine as it's trying to load, or trying to play. (My BD discs are scratch-free as well)

Has anyone else had this specific set of problems? The reason i don't think it's a firmware issue, is because BDs shouldn't cease to work on a machine that was capable of playing them a year prior. All in all, I really do not want to drop another 400$ on a player after only 2 years.
post #14379 of 14982 Old 02-15-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon D View Post

I've owned the BD-55 for 2 years now, and it has all but stopped playing BDs altogether. I've yet to upgrade with firmware, simply because I'm not savvy when it comes to interacting HT elements with the internet. However, I'm not sure that it even is a firmware issue. I can understand that certain BDs produced later might not work without firmware upgrade. But on my machine, BDs that once played without issue on my machine months earlier will not even play at all now. If they do play, I have to insert them in-and-out about 5 times before they're able to read, but this doesn't always work. DVDs all work fine.

Does this still sound like a firmware issue? Do I just have to download the latest firmware onto a disc and insert it into the machine? Or is there something else going on? Even when certain BDs work, they'll possibly freeze up constantly, or i'll hear strange noises coming from the machine as it's trying to load, or trying to play. (My BD discs are scratch-free as well)

Has anyone else had this specific set of problems? The reason i don't think it's a firmware issue, is because BDs shouldn't cease to work on a machine that was capable of playing them a year prior. All in all, I really do not want to drop another 400$ on a player after only 2 years.

That sounds somewhat like my 35. It still plays DVD's. It just started faltering on BD's, new and old. I got a new player.

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #14380 of 14982 Old 02-15-2011, 12:17 PM

Geeze, the players are a lot less than $400 now so you don't have that worry. And if you paid $400 for it two years ago, well mine was only $250 2 years ago.

You might want to read through this thread for the previous couple of pages. Some have reported that the factory reset did the trick for them, but some have just had a general failure for the BD laser. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on mine.
post #14381 of 14982 Old 02-15-2011, 12:49 PM

Does anyone know if .avi files can be played off a SD Card on the BD35?
post #14382 of 14982 Old 02-15-2011, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 142
^No. I don't think so. This unit isn't analogous to many mass market DVD players which will do that.

I'm off to do some reasearch but I will return...

I'm back from cyberspace. See pg 7 of PDF manual:

This chart shows the different type of cards recorded with other devices that you can use.
* Includes miniSD Card and microSD Card
≥Please confirm the latest information on the following website.
http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/cs
(This site is in English only.)
≥When using cards from 4GB to 32GB, only SD cards using the SDHC logo can be used.
≥This unit is compatible with SD Memory Cards that meet SD Card Specifications FAT12 and FAT16 formats, as well as SDHC Memory Cards in
FAT32 format.
≥The card types mentioned above will be referred to as “SD card” in these operating instructions.
≥MiniSD Cards and microSD Cards can be used, but must be used with an adaptor card. These are usually supplied with such cards,
or otherwise customer provided.
≥[BD-V]: To play the virtual package (

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #14383 of 14982 Old 02-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

What is the successor to the BD35, or, what is a comparable yet slightly stronger version of it these days? I'd then most likely research if any of those newer models have the same playback issues that the BD-55 had. (own the BD55 despite that the 35 would have suited me the same)

While I did have these playback issues with the BD55, the inputs on my display are calibrated specifically for Panasonic devices and I don't want to go through the process again. BD55 produces amazing image on my display, despite problems. So, I just want to find the player with same quality image as the 35/55.

UPDATE-

I'm told the successor is the BD60 - which is still a cool $200.00. I remember the BD35 was 250-200 2 years ago. Well at least they went down 50$.
post #14384 of 14982 Old 02-16-2011, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

^ The DMP-BD60 was then replaced with the 65.

There's also an even less expensive 45 that quite arguably could be said to be the replacement.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #14385 of 14982 Old 02-16-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

^ The DMP-BD60 was then replaced with the 65.

There's also an even less expensive 45 that quite arguably could be said to be the replacement.

Panasonic's model line up is very hard to translate. I agree the DMP-45 looks like the predecessor to the 35 but it's not the latest predecessor.

IMO it's best to get the latest one that meets your needs. It seems the older the players are the longer it takes to get updates if you get updates at all. Seems the manufacturers put there focus on the latest devices. I think that bluray was released way to prematurely and now the industry is getting used to consumers buying new players every 2 to 3 years.

It seems that we went from DVD players that cannot be updated via firmware or the Internet but last forever to bluray players that can get firmware updates and connect to the Internet but are obsolete in a few years. Seems bass ackwards I you ask me.
post #14386 of 14982 Old 02-16-2011, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

The 45 and the 65 I linked to are the most current introductory Panasonic Bluray decks, both introduced in 2010. Last month Panasonic announced the DMP-BD75, the only non 3D bluray remaining in their soon to be released line up, which is said to start shipping in the spring (2011).

post #14387 of 14982 Old 02-17-2011, 08:23 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

The 45 and the 65 I linked to are the most current introductory Panasonic Bluray decks, both introduced in 2010. Last month Panasonic announced the DMP-BD75, the only non 3D bluray remaining in their soon to be released line up, which is said to start shipping in the spring (2011).

Just wait until the Coby's of the world start producing Blu-ray players. Then we'll finally see players that last longer. I still have a Coby DVD player (that also does Karioke) I bought at work for $39 back around 04. When a $50 player hits the market, staying power will differentiate the $200 machine from the $50 machine. They're being "rushed to market" with every little technology change.
post #14388 of 14982 Old 02-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Well the BD65 sounded like the logical choice in replacing BD55. Again tonight the BD55 proved it's no longer capable of actually playing BDs.

Then I read the BD65 has a light fluctuating issue with dvd playback, which may be a deal-breaker. It's amazing to me how each of these models has their handicaps. The next thing I did was look at the previous model, the BD60, which does not have this issue. Anyone know why the BD60 is priced higher than the BD65 (which is supposed to be an improvement over BD60) ?
post #14389 of 14982 Old 02-17-2011, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well the BD65 sounded like the logical choice in replacing BD55. Again tonight the BD55 proved it's no longer capable of actually playing BDs.

Then I read the BD65 has a light fluctuating issue with dvd playback, which may be a deal-breaker. It's amazing to me how each of these models has their handicaps. The next thing I did was look at the previous model, the BD60, which does not have this issue. Anyone know why the BD60 is priced higher than the BD65 (which is supposed to be an improvement over BD60) ?

I would say it is because the BD60 is EOL (end of line)
post #14390 of 14982 Old 02-18-2011, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Then I read the BD65 has a light fluctuating issue with dvd playback, which may be a deal-breaker.

Are you getting that from just one forum member's issues ("winston", I believe) or is it a a known glitch substantiated by many? Have a link per chance? Thanks.

post #14391 of 14982 Old 02-22-2011, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

{sni}
While I did have these playback issues with the BD55, the inputs on my display are calibrated specifically for Panasonic devices and I don't want to go through the process again. {snip}

Say what? How can a display be calibrated for one brand's players? Even two samples of the same model player are likely to produce close, but still slightly different results. That's ignoring the fact that displays can/will drift over time so that calibration settings for a particular source device will change...degree of importance is dependent on one's level of OCD. :-)

-Brent
post #14392 of 14982 Old 02-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Say what? How can a display be calibrated for one brand's players? Even two samples of the same model player are likely to produce close, but still slightly different results. That's ignoring the fact that displays can/will drift over time so that calibration settings for a particular source device will change...degree of importance is dependent on one's level of OCD. :-)

:-) Was hoping i'd never have to endure the mental gymnastics of service menu settings again, but here goes anyway. When I got an ISF calibration several years ago the color-decoding and sharpness for the dvd input was calibrated based on the Panasonic player I had at the time. Grayscale adjustments were a global setting for my display and do not deviate among inputs, hence I leave alone. They may drift (I still don't notice), but they all drift together until I update. This would also mean adjusting grayscale to fit a new player is not relevant either.

However, different inputs on my display DID require different sharpness settings, which would mean that a new player might involve re-calibrating this. As for color-decoding, so far the same settings happen to work for each input. The Sub color-saturation setting varies slightly. Still I have no proof yet that the same color-decoding or sharpness settings would work for another brand of dvd player, and I've been told they don't always.

My point is that with each Panasonic player I've owned I've needed to make zero adjustments or updates in service menu to account for different model - based on Avia patterns. They all seem to match up with each other in every way. I was told that if I changed to a Sony or say Oppo, that I may need to make adjustments. I could be wrong, but I was told certain players oversaturate colors so I would have to make some adjustments with colors, and perhaps even in sharpness codes. (Again, based on Avia patterns).

If I'm wrong about this please correct.
post #14393 of 14982 Old 02-22-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post

FACTORY RESET WORKED! Awesome, thanks everyone for posting such good information.

I had a could not read, check disc error for the first time on my BD-55 the other day. Tried unplugging the drive as I didn't want to do a full factory reset and have to reenter all my settings (I use the analog out for sound to an older-model receiver).

What worked for me was to open the tray and very carefully blow compressed air into the drive. I just hope that takes care of any issues for some time to come as I really like this player even though it's not the most capable these days.

Cheers,
Vinnie
post #14394 of 14982 Old 02-22-2011, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was told that if I changed to a Sony or say Oppo, that I may need to make adjustments. I could be wrong, but I was told certain players oversaturate colors so I would have to make some adjustments with colors, and perhaps even in sharpness codes. (Again, based on Avia patterns).

I think it is a bit of an exaggeration. Displays may benefit from calibration but once set, that given input should look quite good with any good brand bluray deck like OPPO or another Panny.

When we read different test reports from magazines like Hometheater on different BD players the differences in the basic parameters like hue (tint), chroma level (color), etc are so similar in level they aren't even worth mentioning any more. I don't think you should consider yourself "locked to Panasonic" or else you'll have to undergo a laborious or pricey ISF calibration to be content.

Much like the computer magazine industry they've had to search deep to find little tiny differences that in real world use hardly matter to 99.9 of viewers looking at real images, not torture test patterns. "Look! This Panashiba unit is omitting 2 pixels on the left edge as shown on this dedicated, static test pattern, for an overall loss of 0.1% of the horizontal viewing area. Detract 30 points from its benchmark score!"

post #14395 of 14982 Old 02-22-2011, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

As opposed to the previous response, I'd be a bit less inclined to just assume that every machine is more or less the same now. Perhaps, perhaps not. Aside from blu-ray, there's always the dvd playback aspects to consider. Certainly have been some drastic variations among dvd players I've owned, so much so that they each needed their own separate TV inputs to adjust to compensate. Now that I'm stuck with using a single output for most things hdmi, fortunately there is not so much difference between the machines I currently am switching between that their differences bother me much. But then again I've never had an ISF calibration, have just relied on my TV seeming to be not very far off at all after using a calibration DVD to set things up. Have more or less found a pretty happy medium that works well enough for me. You may have a different set of more precise tolerances.
post #14396 of 14982 Old 02-23-2011, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 132
I find it best to calibrate the display for accuracy using a pattern generator, then calibrating out any flaws/deviations of the BD player.

In the event that a new BD is used, pop a calibration disc into the new BD player, and make any BD player adjustments, if necessary, to get back accuracy.

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #14397 of 14982 Old 02-23-2011, 07:21 AM

If the above differences disturb sooo many viewers what about the differences between local channels and even the cameras us for shooting difference angles at a foot/basketball game, Do you all constantly change you settings???
post #14398 of 14982 Old 02-23-2011, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What worked for me was to open the tray and very carefully blow compressed air into the drive.

I wonder if my Nintendo Entertainment System will play Blu-Rays then!

I never tried that with my BD55, as it slowly stopped playing certain BD titles over the past 3 months.. until none of them worked. With Netflix, it froze up on 1 of 3 discs over the past 6 months. (hope the BD85 won't have this problem). I tried factory reset and it didn't fix the issue either. If you're still under any warranty of service plan, see if you can swap out for another model perhaps while you can. I will most likely stick with Panasonic as it seems to get highest review with sound/image-quality. I'll also get a service plan in case the same BD55 shenanigans occur.
post #14399 of 14982 Old 02-23-2011, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbehnke View Post

If the above differences disturb sooo many viewers what about the differences between local channels and even the cameras us for shooting difference angles at a foot/basketball game, Do you all constantly change you settings???

Yes, good point. If the outputs, my goodness even the digital output (HDMI), vary so much from BD player to BD player such that once one calibrates a given input on their monitor one also needs to re-calibrate that same input when swapping BD players, or the image will look compromised to the naked eye, then there is ever reason to need to also re-recalibrate per:

- connection cord used to that same input
- TV network
- camera used
- disc label
- movie!

I make HD recordings on to hard drive, AVCHD bluray compatible discs, and D-VHS and on each one I lay down 30 seconds of SMPTE color bars with PLUGE from my source so I have a start to finish way to calibrate chroma, tint, brightness, etc when I play back the video in some alternate setup (that mostly means monitor; the deck, wire, etc are all trivially important comparatively). Few people go to these lengths but obviously I take calibration rather seriously. Even though I've switched between 5 different BD decks over the years I've never had to recalibrate by even one tick on any of my main monitor's settings and this includes using its built-in waveform monitor using 0-100 IRE gray scale ramp patterns. [I have a Panasonic projector PTAE4000 bought the week it was released.]

post #14400 of 14982 Old 02-23-2011, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

If the outputs, my goodness even the digital output (HDMI), vary so much from BD player to BD player such that once one calibrates a given input on their monitor

How can a digital out vary without conversion to analog?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bh200 Super Blu Blu Ray Hd Dvd Combo Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page