Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Owners Thread - Page 489 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #14641 of 14982 Old 11-13-2011, 01:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
After a bit of research and reading the review of the BDT210 at Home Theater Secrets, I decided to stick with the BDT110. The two units are so similar I suspect they share a common DNA and the BDT210 received a glowing review.

Now that I've used the BDT110 a bit, it's amazing how much faster it is than my 3-year-old BD35. I only hope it lasts longer than 3 years!

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14642 of 14982 Old 11-13-2011, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Turnaround from the Panasonic repair facility is fast and probably cheaper than most new players. Hopefully people are not just throwing away BD35/55 players.
post #14643 of 14982 Old 11-13-2011, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhowie View Post

Tried to play "The Adjustment Bureau" tonight but repeatedly received the "Copyright Violation" message. I updated the firmware to v. 2.4 but this did not remedy the problem.

I opened/closed--removed the disc/reinserted--cleaned the disc-- over and over and aside from one time when it did start playing-- for just over five minutes before stopping-- it was "Copyright Violation" and the BD would not play.

My LG BD570 handled this disc without issue.

Anyone else with similar problems with this or other recent discs in their BD-35?

When I've had this problem in the past with the BD35, I usually just eject it and re-insert it and it works the 2nd time. I don't have it in my main viewing room anymore, so I don't use it much anymore. My main blu-ray player now is the Panny BDT300 because of it's 3D capabilities.

lujan
664 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #14644 of 14982 Old 11-13-2011, 08:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Turnaround from the Panasonic repair facility is fast and probably cheaper than most new players. Hopefully people are not just throwing away BD35/55 players.

The BDT110 cost me $79. I seriously doubt I could get my BD35 repaired for $80. And I'm not going to throw the BD35 away, I'll put it in another room where it will only get occasional use.

When we are entertaining a large group in our garage theater, the last thing I need is for my Blu-ray player to start pausing and stuttering on video.

Mark
post #14645 of 14982 Old 11-13-2011, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

When I've had this problem in the past with the BD35, I usually just eject it and re-insert it and it works the 2nd time. I don't have it in my main viewing room anymore, so I don't use it much anymore. My main blu-ray player now is the Panny BDT300 because of it's 3D capabilities.

Yes, I suddenly started getting those "copyright violation" messages. Initially it was with a new disc I had bought, but checking a number of previously-viewed BDs I started getting it with them also.

Instances where this is not cleared by ejecting/reinserting are apparently a sign of a failing BD loader (drive). I'm not too impressed with a drive that fails after two years with only moderate use :-(
post #14646 of 14982 Old 11-13-2011, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

The BDT110 cost me $79. I seriously doubt I could get my BD35 repaired for $80. And I'm not going to throw the BD35 away, I'll put it in another room where it will only get occasional use.

When we are entertaining a large group in our garage theater, the last thing I need is for my Blu-ray player to start pausing and stuttering on video.

Mark

I would wager on a fixed BD35 outlasting a $79 player.
post #14647 of 14982 Old 11-13-2011, 02:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I would wager on a fixed BD35 outlasting a $79 player.

1) I would wager the cost to fix the BD35 would be at least 2-3 times what it cost to buy the BDT110. If the current BDT110 dies in 3 years, I'll get another and still be money ahead.

2) The BDT110 brings new features to the party. I've already been streaming some Amazon Prime videos.

I'll never sign up for Netflix but I'm an Amazon Prime member and there is a LOT of stuff on Amazon that's free with my membership.

Mark
post #14648 of 14982 Old 11-13-2011, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Amazon says well over $100 but whatever.. good luck w/ the 3yr thing
post #14649 of 14982 Old 11-13-2011, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobart View Post

Yes, I suddenly started getting those "copyright violation" messages. Initially it was with a new disc I had bought, but checking a number of previously-viewed BDs I started getting it with them also.

Instances where this is not cleared by ejecting/reinserting are apparently a sign of a failing BD loader (drive). I'm not too impressed with a drive that fails after two years with only moderate use :-(

Thanks for the input. That is disappointing in that my player has been very lightly used. As alluded to by some others in this thread, faith in Panasonic is eroding.
post #14650 of 14982 Old 11-13-2011, 06:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Amazon says well over $100 but whatever.. good luck w/ the 3yr thing

My receipt from Fry's says $79.99! They had the BDT110 on sale at that price for 2-3 weeks.

Mark
post #14651 of 14982 Old 11-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

My receipt from Fry's says $79.99! They had the BDT110 on sale at that price for 2-3 weeks.

Mark

Skimmed a Disney email that was recently sent that was pushing blu-ray by offering a player for that price too. Email's been deleted, but I think it might have been a Panasonic player. (Note I said skimmed, so... some or most of that could be a skimming error on my part.)
post #14652 of 14982 Old 11-14-2011, 12:00 PM

"Yes, I suddenly started getting those "copyright violation" messages. Initially it was with a new disc I had bought, but checking a number of previously-viewed BDs I started getting it with them also."

Last Saturday the same thing happened to me. After trying several other Blue Ray disks it could no longer recognize any of the BR disks, however DVD's could still be played. I have gone over to an Oppo 83 BR player now and the Panny is out the door.
post #14653 of 14982 Old 11-14-2011, 08:57 PM

Liked: 12
Anyone else having playback problems with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 on the BD-35?

Lots of freezing, stuttering, and skipping began for me during Chapter 20 -- the scene immediately following...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Snape's memories in the pensieve.

The video problems continued into at least the next chapter, which was when I decided to stop the movie, unbox a Sony BDP-S470, and return to Chapter 20 to finish the movie on the new player (which, fortunately, did not have any problems).

I really like my Panasonic Blu-ray player, but I'm guessing that even with Panasonic's continued support, I'll probably be forced to replace it soon.
post #14654 of 14982 Old 11-14-2011, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbob View Post

Anyone else having playback problems with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 on the BD-35?

Lots of freezing, stuttering, and skipping began for me during Chapter 20 -- the scene immediately following... * SPOILER *
The video problems continued into at least the next chapter, which was when I decided to stop the movie, unbox a Sony BDP-S470, and return to Chapter 20 to finish the movie on the new player (which, fortunately, did not have any problems).

I really like my Panasonic Blu-ray player, but I'm guessing that even with Panasonic's continued support, I'll probably be forced to replace it soon.

Played it through on my BD-35 on Friday with no issues.
post #14655 of 14982 Old 11-15-2011, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

Played it through on my BD-35 on Friday with no issues.

cosigned
post #14656 of 14982 Old 11-15-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Lots of freezing, stuttering, and skipping began for me during Chapter 20 -- the scene immediately following...
Spoiler  
Snape's memories in the pensieve.

You describe exactly the type of issues I was having with my BD35. It first started when I was watching Star Wars Episode II (Attack of the Clones). When I went back and played the offending sections over again they would sometimes play fine and other times I get freezing, stuttering and skipping.

The problems continued on and off for the next several weeks. I'd play 6 or 7 different movies and not have a single issue. Then, all of a sudden, I'd start seeing the problem again. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason to why it was happening.

That said, I played Harry Potter DH Part 2 on my BD35 on Friday night. It played perfectly without a single issue. Then, the movie I played the next night (An Affair to Remember) suffered from three episodes of freezing, stuttering and skipping on the BD35. That is when I finally removed the BD35 from my equipment rack and replaced it with a BDT110 that I purchased a couple of weeks ago (it had been sitting in the box, unopened).

We've watched about a dozen movies on the BDT110 (we're trying to push it hard to make sure it's stable), including playing back about 30 minutes of Attack of the Clones. No problems encountered so far.

Frankly, I think some of us have simply worn out our BD35s. I average about 5 movies a week. Over 3 years that's 780 plays or (approximately) 1,560 hours. You'd think the player would last longer than that. My guess (and it's strictly a guess) is that some slop has developed in the blue laser's tracking. Those pits are a LOT closer together on a Blu-ray compared to a CD or DVD. The slightest variance in the tracking would spell disaster.

Time will tell if replacing the player has completely solved the problem. Fingers crossed that I get at least 3 years out of the BDT110. Thank goodness the BDT110 only cost $80. I'd be a lot more concerned if Blu-ray players were still $500!

Mark
post #14657 of 14982 Old 11-15-2011, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Time will tell if replacing the player has completely solved the problem. Fingers crossed that I get at least 3 years out of the BDT110. Thank goodness the BDT110 only cost $80. I'd be a lot more concerned if Blu-ray players were still $500!

They are, if you buy Oppo! (which might be what I replace my BD35 with, funds permitting, else, like you, I'll go with a 110 or perhaps 210)
post #14658 of 14982 Old 11-15-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:

You describe exactly the type of issues I was having with my BD35. It first started when I was watching Star Wars Episode II (Attack of the Clones).

Frankly, I think some of us have simply worn out our BD35s.

Thanks all. I appreciate the responses that I received.

I double-checked the disc on the BD-35 again this morning and the problematic chapters played just fine. Go figure. I also discovered a minor scratch on the disc and, while I don't believe it caused the problem, I went ahead and exchanged the disc too, just in case.

Funnily enough, the start of my playback problems began with Star Wars Episode II also. I've since seen it occur again on several movies. It's does appear possible that our players are just wearing out. Too bad.

I looked at the prices on new players at Costco today and was surprised to see how much the prices have come down in recent years. When I get an extra $100 to splurge, I think I'll invest in the latest Panasonic 3D BD player. I know this is slightly off-topic, but does anyone have an informed opinion on the quality of Panasonic's 3D BD players?
post #14659 of 14982 Old 11-15-2011, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I double-checked the disc on the BD-35 again this morning and the problematic chapters played just fine.

Probably a speck of dust. People with two players in a room see it all the time. Move it to the other player and it's ok. It is often worth it to repair or nurse along an older player just for when only one player works with a disc for some reason.
post #14660 of 14982 Old 11-15-2011, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I looked at the prices on new players at Costco today and was surprised to see how much the prices have come down in recent years. When I get an extra $100 to splurge, I think I'll invest in the latest Panasonic 3D BD player. I know this is slightly off-topic, but does anyone have an informed opinion on the quality of Panasonic's 3D BD players?

I keep hearing excellent reports about the 110 and 210. I think saw a 215 at Costco last night, I suspect that's Costco's usual private variation, I would guess of the 210 but have not confirmed.
post #14661 of 14982 Old 11-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Speaking of Star Wars, I finally decided that even though disc 3 played fine on my Oppo, it still had issues even after a little bit of cleaning and the 35's firmware update (it no longer froze, but there were some video anomalies still there), so the two very tiny scratches finally bugged me enough to go get a replacement set. Kind of guy I am.

I've rewatched the first two films and no problems with the first film, as before; and no problems with the second film, unlike prior to the firmware update, so hooray for that firmware update. Haven't had time to watch all of the third film yet, but I did play the problem area, and no 2 teeny scratches has indeed translated into no video glitches.

A couple of the other discs look a bit rough in spots (on their playing surfaces - they were removed as gently as possible from that gawdawful hubless cardboard contraption they come packaged in), but hopefully they'll make it through okay. Should know one way or the other in the next few weeks.
post #14662 of 14982 Old 11-16-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:

I keep hearing excellent reports about the 110 and 210. I think saw a 215 at Costco last night, I suspect that's Costco's usual private variation, I would guess of the 210 but have not confirmed.

Thanks for the info! That was one of the players I saw there too and it looks like it'd make a great upgrade.

For anyone who's interested, it was on instant rebate at Costco for around $140 through Thanksgiving and includes a mail-in offer for Avatar 3D.
post #14663 of 14982 Old 11-27-2011, 05:36 AM

Hi

I have a DMP-BD55 and would like to know what blank media people have had success with burning their own Blu Ray discs.

In particular I would like to hear from anyone who has successfully burnt and played on their 55's a disc burnt using a BD-RE DL 50GB disc.

I have tried using cheap TDK blanks but before splashing out on dearer media I would like to know what success people have had and what blanks they have used

Thanks

Paul
post #14664 of 14982 Old 12-09-2011, 04:08 PM

I think the BD laser has kicked the bucket on my BD35. I originally bought this player when it first came out in '08, can't recall. Can't complain as it has been used almost everyday. The only thing that works on it now is the DVD player, when I put in a BD you hear the disc or lens clicking. Any thoughts?

What is a good Panasonic BD player to get? I don't have 3D so that is not a huge deal for me.
post #14665 of 14982 Old 12-09-2011, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

You can have the one you have fixed and back from Panasonic in a week.
post #14666 of 14982 Old 12-09-2011, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie View Post

I think the BD laser has kicked the bucket on my BD35. I originally bought this player when it first came out in '08, can't recall. Can't complain as it has been used almost everyday. The only thing that works on it now is the DVD player, when I put in a BD you hear the disc or lens clicking. Any thoughts?

What is a good Panasonic BD player to get? I don't have 3D so that is not a huge deal for me.

110 or the 210 would be fine. Costco has the 215 (probably rebadged 210).
post #14667 of 14982 Old 12-09-2011, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 132
Quote:

The 215 is the same as the 210, but it comes with an HDMI cable.

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #14668 of 14982 Old 12-09-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post

The 215 is the same as the 210, but it comes with an HDMI cable.

Thanks. How is the BD75, I found it at a retailer for $80.
post #14669 of 14982 Old 12-13-2011, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobart View Post

I have the same issues. I've also been having more issues, with what look to be flawless discs visually on the surface, not being able to play (digital distortion/freezing) approximately mid-disc/film. I wondered if this could be a layer switching issue? Not much factual data to back up that assumption, just "grabbing at straws." I could usually remedy most of this with ejecting/reloading, cleaning the discs, and occasionally it seemed like I could fix loading problems by switching off my receiver and/or manually commanding it to load the "top menu" or "play" while initially loading. However, now older discs that I've not previously had trouble with are not loading. Either hanging or "unreadable" errors. Plus I'm tired of the slow load and navigation times in general. Oppo BD93 should I arrive tomorrow.

Sorry I didn't see it mentioned in other posts... has anyone had there BDP35 repaired by Panasonic or local repair? How much did it cost? Wondered if it was worth keeping the BDP35 as a back up depending on cost. Otherwise I'll just donate to the grandparents as a dvd/cd player

Denon AVR3310CI, Oppo BDP-93, Pioneer KURO PDP-5080HD, Rega Planar 2, Logitech Harmony 700, Apple TV, Synology DS210j NAS.
post #14670 of 14982 Old 12-13-2011, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozel View Post

Hi

I have a DMP-BD55 and would like to know what blank media people have had success with burning their own Blu Ray discs.

In particular I would like to hear from anyone who has successfully burnt and played on their 55's a disc burnt using a BD-RE DL 50GB disc.

I have tried using cheap TDK blanks but before splashing out on dearer media I would like to know what success people have had and what blanks they have used

Thanks

Paul

The best BD-RE 50 GBs I used were made by Panasonic. Pretty much flawless.

I still use Memorex BD-RE 25 GB discs, but they are a bit flakey - usually I can play them once properly, but 2nd time they seem to get corrupted. Could be that the laser on the BD55 is eating them? They work good in my PS3.

TDK BD-REs don't work very well - half of the discs have a few seconds of video corruption, possibly at the layer change area, but I cannot be sure. Not reliable playback on the BD55. These are repacks from Japanese ebay sellers - I would advise against buying repacked BD-REs - always get factory-sealed discs in the original jewel cases if possible. It may cost a little more, but there will be little chance they are factory rejects repacked for sale!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bh200 Super Blu Blu Ray Hd Dvd Combo Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page