Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Owners Thread - Page 490 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #14671 of 14981 Old 12-13-2011, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 86
You mean people still do this when you can rip them to hard drives and play them on media players like the Popcorn Hour?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14672 of 14981 Old 12-13-2011, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I just called Panasonic 800-211-7262, to ask, out of my own curiosity, what the price of DMP-BD35 "repair" was. After being on hold for some time because his computer was being slow, he informed me that they have a flat rate exchange where you send them your broken machine and they send you what they deem to be a functional equivalent, factory serviced (refurbished) unit with a 90 day warranty. When I pressed him for specifics he told me it would most likely be a refurbed DMP-BD60 or 80. The price was $130, which I believe includes shipping, but not your cost to ship, or package your broken one to them.

I can't for the life of me see how this would be the right move for anyone, considering brand new, year 2011 series ones, (not already been broken, er, I mean "factory reconditioned", older series ones, that have no Netflix junk or super fast loading times) go for $79.95 shipped, no need to send them your old one, plus you get the newest technology and features, with a full year warranty.

I can hear it now: "But they don't build them like they used to. The 35 is special." Yeah, right.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #14673 of 14981 Old 12-13-2011, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

I just called Panasonic 800-211-7262, to ask, out of my own curiosity, what the price of "repair" was. After being on hold for some time because his computer was being slow, he informed me that they have a flat rate exchange where you send them your broken machine and they send you what they deem to be a functional equivalent, factory serviced (refurbished) unit with a 90 day warranty. When I pressed him for specifics he told me it would most likely be a refurbed DMP-BD60 or 80. The price was $130, which I believe includes shipping, but not your cost to ship, or package your broken one to them.

I can't for the life of me see how this would be the right move for anyone, considering brand new, year 2011 series ones, (not already been broken, er, I mean "factory reconditioned", older series ones, that have no Netflix junk or super fast loading times) go for $79.95 shipped, no need to send them your old one, plus you get the newest technology and features, with a full year warranty.

I can hear it now: "But they don't build them like they used to. The 35 is special." Yeah, right.

Well, if you need Analog (component) output, then you may very well consider the BD35/55 to be "special". That "feature" has been dropped from current models.

Aside from that, however, naturally it makes a lot more sense to replace any dead BD35/55's with faster, more current models.
post #14674 of 14981 Old 12-17-2011, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi i have a Panasonic blue ray dvd player a DMP-BD35 brought off a workmate i've set it up to the internet to use the BD service but for some reason i'm getting a message that says not enough space to download service is there a way i can resolve this
post #14675 of 14981 Old 12-17-2011, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordiepaul View Post

Hi i have a Panasonic blue ray dvd player a DMP-BD35 brought off a workmate i've set it up to the internet to use the BD service but for some reason i'm getting a message that says not enough space to download service is there a way i can resolve this

You need at least a 1GB SD Card.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #14676 of 14981 Old 12-17-2011, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhowie View Post

Tried to play "The Adjustment Bureau" tonight but repeatedly received the "Copyright Violation" message. I updated the firmware to v. 2.4 but this did not remedy the problem.

I opened/closed--removed the disc/reinserted--cleaned the disc-- over and over and aside from one time when it did start playing-- for just over five minutes before stopping-- it was "Copyright Violation" and the BD would not play.

My LG BD570 handled this disc without issue.

Anyone else with similar problems with this or other recent discs in their BD-35?

I've been having the same problem with my BD35 for months. Discs that load fine one day, won't load at all the next without ejecting several times or restarting the machine. Some say copyright violation, others just won't load and default to the Panasonic BD screen. Once it loads, the disc usually plays fine; but lately, it's gotten to the point that few BDs will load the first try. What's interesting is that the problems don't seem to affect DVD, just BDs, which makes me think it's the optical pickup: either it's going out or just needs to be cleaned. BD menus will start to breakup after the first couple of loops and sometimes playback will do the same, prompting me to reload the disc - both being potential indications of a disc reading problem.

I can't remember if the Panasonic uses a separate pickup for dvds and BDs. As the BD35 has already been basically replaced by a much faster PS3, I haven't been pushed to look into it with any urgency.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #14677 of 14981 Old 12-17-2011, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

I can't remember if the Panasonic uses a separate pickup for dvds and BDs.

It does.
post #14678 of 14981 Old 12-17-2011, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

I can't remember if the Panasonic uses a separate pickup for dvds and BDs.

Blu ray = blu laser
DVD = red laser

Different modules.
post #14679 of 14981 Old 12-18-2011, 07:50 AM

Can someone help me with an output problem with my BD-35. I have it running through a Rocketfish 4 Port HDMI splitter. The Motorola DVR plays fine through the HDMI splitter but there is no picture when switching to the BD-35. If I connect directing to the HDMI feed going to the Panasonic flat screen I get a U73 error on my display. Running the player through the splitter I dont see the U73 error but I also cannot see any output from the player.

If I connect the BD-35 direct to the HDMI port on the front of the TV I can see menus and the player works fine. What is the problem?
post #14680 of 14981 Old 12-18-2011, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzycanuck View Post

Can someone help me with an output problem with my BD-35. I have it running through a Rocketfish 4 Port HDMI splitter.

As best I can tell, based on some research, there's no such animal. Perhaps you have a 2 way splitter or a 4 way switcher? Rocketfish does make those. Regardless, since your BD35 works properly connected directly to the TV, I think we can safely assume the problem is this third party device you are using which none of us in this thread are likely to be familiar with. You might want to try Rocketfish support or their forum. Their "General Troubleshooting and Setup", FAQ, email, and toll free phone numbers for product support can be found here:
http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/pr...n&active=false

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #14681 of 14981 Old 01-13-2012, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzycanuck View Post

Can someone help me with an output problem with my BD-35. I have it running through a Rocketfish 4 Port HDMI splitter. The Motorola DVR plays fine through the HDMI splitter but there is no picture when switching to the BD-35. If I connect directing to the HDMI feed going to the Panasonic flat screen I get a U73 error on my display. Running the player through the splitter I dont see the U73 error but I also cannot see any output from the player.

If I connect the BD-35 direct to the HDMI port on the front of the TV I can see menus and the player works fine. What is the problem?

I am NOT an expert. Let's be clear about that fast and furious Seriously this is what I learned about the U73 error. Last Tuesday night I was trying to check the PQ of Transformers Prime Darkness Rising SD DVD on my MBR BD30 directly connected to my Sammy 50" DLP. I turned it on I get sound BUT NO picture due to an U73 error. This is the first time I have seen an U73 error after three BD30's and one BD35. I admit I got a touch frustrated but I remained cool. I said to myself let me check the HDMI cable. Because of the tight space I pushed the TV left side inward and the right side toward me some. As soon as I got doing that the picture appeared/got restored and zero problems after that. The point is that I must have jerked the BD30 HDMI cable enough to restore the picture. Seems to me it was a mild case of HDMI shake-up. I don't know what else to call it, hello?
Experts come-on down

Home Theater Aficionado
post #14682 of 14981 Old 01-14-2012, 12:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
The only time that I have seen the U73 error was with a bad hdmi cable.

Jason
post #14683 of 14981 Old 01-14-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

The only time that I have seen the U73 error was with a bad hdmi cable.

Jason

I did NOT have to replace the cable. Had that been the case the picture would have NOT, I REPEAT would have NOT been RESTORED.

What's your next argument?

Home Theater Aficionado
post #14684 of 14981 Old 01-14-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't believe he said you did. Your team lose today or something?
post #14685 of 14981 Old 01-14-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

I don't believe he said you did. Your team lose today or something?

Sounds like yours did, DUH?

Home Theater Aficionado
post #14686 of 14981 Old 01-14-2012, 04:07 PM

I connected the HDMI cable to the D* receiver from the BD30. It is still working flawlessly. This HDMI cable is a Monster M1000 which is very stiff and you have to loop it just right or you don't get a good connection.
The Belden HDMI cable switched from the D* receiver to the BD30>NO Problems.
Thank you

Home Theater Aficionado
post #14687 of 14981 Old 01-14-2012, 11:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenyatto View Post

I did NOT have to replace the cable. Had that been the case the picture would have NOT, I REPEAT would have NOT been RESTORED.

LOL, wow what an uncalled for response.

I was simply making a comment as to my only experience with that error and it was not any sort of an "argument".

I promise I was not the one that ran over your cat.

Jason
post #14688 of 14981 Old 01-15-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenyatto View Post

Geez. You must have some misplaced hostility issues for which you should get professional help outside this forum. Here, we're all just AV enthusiasts trying to help each other out with technical problems in a friendly manner. If you can't take possible explanations and suggestions in that spirit, I don't know why anyone here would even want to respond to you.
post #14689 of 14981 Old 01-15-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
"....reason to be cheerful, part 3..." - Ian Dury

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #14690 of 14981 Old 01-15-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael Bellomy View Post

"....reason to be cheerful, part 3..." - Ian Dury

La gota en tu disco>ha, ha!

Home Theater Aficionado
post #14691 of 14981 Old 01-15-2012, 01:43 PM

It's amazing how ALL these "medical heads" spread like weeds...

Home Theater Aficionado
post #14692 of 14981 Old 01-15-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Huh? What am I not getting? These last few posts make no sense to me.
post #14693 of 14981 Old 01-18-2012, 02:49 PM

Quick question:

Does anyone know if the 2.4 version firmware for the DB-55 adds Cinavia?
I still have ver 2.2 and I'm a little worried about upgrading at this point.
post #14694 of 14981 Old 01-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 126
It does not.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #14695 of 14981 Old 01-18-2012, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

^How exactly is it that you come to know that piece of information? Its not exactly like they'll inform us if and when they do enable it, right?

post #14696 of 14981 Old 01-18-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

^How exactly is it that you come to know that piece of information? Its not exactly like they'll inform us if and when they do enable it, right?

Yes, I guess you wouldn't know for sure unless....it was tested with a BD-R of one of those 'infested' titles.
But 2.4 was released around October 2011, so it could, or maybe not....

I also own a BDT-210, and that has been okay, so far.
post #14697 of 14981 Old 01-22-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny_S View Post

Quick question:

Does anyone know if the 2.4 version firmware for the DB-55 adds Cinavia?
I still have ver 2.2 and I'm a little worried about upgrading at this point.

I just made the firmware update on my DB-55, but I don't have any disc with Cinavia in it to test it out.

Danny
post #14698 of 14981 Old 01-31-2012, 11:06 AM

Liked: 11
I've owned the DMP-BD35 and for more than three years; it's worked flawlessly. I have it connected to my old Yamaha AV receiver via optical cable, and to my Panasonic plasma TV via HDMI. (Speakers are 5.1; Definitive.)

I'm replacing my non-HDMI receiver with a Yamaha Aventage RX-A710. This will be my new connection: BD35 (HDMI) > Receiver (HDMI) > TV.

I see in the owner's manual that I should change the BD35 settings to:
HDMI Video Mode: On
HDMI Resolution: On
HDMI Audio Output: On

For 24p Output, the manual seems to suggest setting to Off. Is this correct? My Panny plasma can handle 24p, so I'm a bit confused.

Is there anything else I need to consider? What about the bitstream setting (in another area of the Setup menu)? Any insight, tricks or tips will be appreciated.

I'm adding my new receiver tomorrow night and just want to avoid potential headaches and temper tantrums.
post #14699 of 14981 Old 01-31-2012, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit26.2 View Post

I've owned the DMP-BD35 and for more than three years; it's worked flawlessly. I have it connected to my old Yamaha AV receiver via optical cable, and to my Panasonic plasma TV via HDMI. (Speakers are 5.1; Definitive.)

I'm replacing my non-HDMI receiver with a Yamaha Aventage RX-A710. This will be my new connection: BD35 (HDMI) > Receiver (HDMI) > TV.

I see in the owner's manual that I should change the BD35 settings to:
HDMI Video Mode: On
HDMI Resolution: On
HDMI Audio Output: On

For 24p Output, the manual seems to suggest setting to Off. Is this correct? My Panny plasma can handle 24p, so I'm a bit confused.

Is there anything else I need to consider? What about the bitstream setting (in another area of the Setup menu)? Any insight, tricks or tips will be appreciated.

I'm adding my new receiver tomorrow night and just want to avoid potential headaches and temper tantrums.

Going from recollection here (I'm in a PCM only audio situation), but you'll want to turn off secondary audio so you'll get lossless soundtracks emanating from your player. And then stream the digital audio output using bitstream; change it to PCM and turn the secondary audio back on if/when you want to listen to secondary audio.

Go with "24p" if your set supports it. (Whatever setting you were using before, still should be the same. You may have to do something in your receiver though. And also you may have to do something in the receiver to make sure the audio doesn't get passed on from the receiver to the tv, since it's possible the tv could trip up the receiver into thinking your system only supports stereo.)
post #14700 of 14981 Old 01-31-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

With HDMI the capabilities of each component is determined. Also audio can not be turned of because it is interleaved within the blanking interval of the video signal.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bh200 Super Blu Blu Ray Hd Dvd Combo Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page