post #14701 of 14982 Old 01-31-2012, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post

Going from recollection here (I'm in a PCM only audio situation), but you'll want to turn off secondary audio so you'll get lossless soundtracks emanating from your player. And then stream the digital audio output using bitstream; change it to PCM and turn the secondary audio back on if/when you want to listen to secondary audio.

Wait, are you saying that the BD-35's PCM output is lossy? Or that injecting secondary audio corrupts the otherwise lossless PCM even when no 2ndary audio sounds are playing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14702 of 14982 Old 02-01-2012, 02:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post

Wait, are you saying that the BD-35's PCM output is lossy? Or that injecting secondary audio corrupts the otherwise lossless PCM even when no 2ndary audio sounds are playing?

Neither, was attempting to discuss Bitstream wrt secondary audio. Rather than trying to briefly summarize any further, from recollection, I'll just refer to page 8 of the manual for the details.

Since I run 5.1 PCM all of the time, about the only thing I've learned today was that it doesn't really matter whether secondary audio is on or off in my case wrt lossless playback. Cuts down on the menu noises though when it's turned off.
post #14703 of 14982 Old 02-01-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

When secondary audio is on, the player decodes the lossy DTS core or embedded DD 5.1 track instead of the lossless version. It does not matter whether secondary audio is actually present. When secondary audio is off, the player decodes the lossless tracks. That's the way Panasonic players have always worked.
post #14704 of 14982 Old 02-02-2012, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well, after a few months of having problems with my BD55 I finally had enough and threw in the flag!
This all started a couple months ago - when I'd try to play a Blu ray, the player would say "play" or "loading", then would either say "copyright violation" on the screen, or "stop" on the Panny BD55 and just not load the movie. After a few attempts, the movie would eventually load, but boy was it annoying, especially when guests were over.
Flash back two nights ago, I rented "Real Steel" on Blu and plopped it in, and literally tried for just over one full hour of trying to get the movie to load and play with no success! Mid way through, I put in Wall-e and it loaded and played on the first attempt. This got me to thinking, it seems to only give me issues on newer titles, so perhaps it's got to do with the way the discs are prepared. I do have the latest firmware update, and I've seen others with this same issue when I've combed this thread, but just didn't seem to see any successful solutions. So I am hoping my new BD210 will be a better fit for me (and can still decode DD True HD and DTS MA since my Denon 4306 can't do it by itself). So for all you out there that have had this issue, have you noticed it giving this problem just on newer titles and what did you do to correct it? Here's a list of things I've tried:
1. Blow inside the disc tray
2. Use a camera lens blower to blow inside the disc tray
3. Prayer
4. Smacking it
5. Cussing at it
6. Kicked the dog laying near me in peace and not sharing in my frustration (just kidding on this one)
7. Threw in the towel and order a new player

Josh
post #14705 of 14982 Old 02-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

When secondary audio is on, the player decodes the lossy DTS core or embedded DD 5.1 track instead of the lossless version. It does not matter whether secondary audio is actually present. When secondary audio is off, the player decodes the lossless tracks. That's the way Panasonic players have always worked.

That's not the way I read the manual. I'm staring at the cryptic audio format chart on page 8. Footnote 2 reads
When playing BD-Video without secondary audio or clicking sound, the audio is output as the same format as if BD-Video Secondary Audio was set to Off.
post #14706 of 14982 Old 02-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh's HT View Post

Well, after a few months of having problems with my BD55 I finally had enough and threw in the flag!
This all started a couple months ago - when I'd try to play a Blu ray, the player would say "play" or "loading", then would either say "copyright violation" on the screen, or "stop" on the Panny BD55 and just not load the movie. After a few attempts, the movie would eventually load, but boy was it annoying, especially when guests were over.
Flash back two nights ago, I rented "Real Steel" on Blu and plopped it in, and literally tried for just over one full hour of trying to get the movie to load and play with no success! Mid way through, I put in Wall-e and it loaded and played on the first attempt. This got me to thinking, it seems to only give me issues on newer titles, so perhaps it's got to do with the way the discs are prepared. I do have the latest firmware update, and I've seen others with this same issue when I've combed this thread, but just didn't seem to see any successful solutions. So I am hoping my new BD210 will be a better fit for me (and can still decode DD True HD and DTS MA since my Denon 4306 can't do it by itself). So for all you out there that have had this issue, have you noticed it giving this problem just on newer titles and what did you do to correct it? Here's a list of things I've tried:
3. Prayer
4. Smacking it
5. Cussing at it
6. Kicked the dog laying near me in peace and not sharing in my frustration (just kidding on this one)

Josh

I'm sorry you had trouble with your BD55. I tried Real Steel on my 55 and it worked. My BD55 doesn't have many hours on it since I replaced my AVR and Blu Ray with the BD65. Maybe your laser is going bad. I think you will be happy with the 210. Good luck with it.
post #14707 of 14982 Old 02-02-2012, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post

I'm sorry you had trouble with your BD55. I tried Real Steel on my 55 and it worked. My BD55 doesn't have many hours on it since I replaced my AVR and Blu Ray with the BD65. Maybe your laser is going bad. I think you will be happy with the 210. Good luck with it.

Yup. I rented Real Steel last night and watched on my BD35, no problems there, either.
post #14708 of 14982 Old 02-03-2012, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

3. Prayer
4. Smacking it
5. Cussing at it

Josh

From what I have seen the "copyright violation" message is a generic one that Panasonic uses when it has problems reading the disc. My BD35 started giving that message on discs that had played just fine in the past. I also had no luck with cleaning efforts. From my experience and that of others, and checking with Panasonic, this is a sign that the BD loader (the drive) is failing. Like you I purchased a new player (the 110 due to the price on sale+the Avatar 3D promo, even though I was not at all happy at how short the 35's lifetime had been...)

Mike

Vizio M501D-A2r hdtv, Sony STR-DN1050 AVR, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray, Samsung BD-UP5000 HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo, Roku 3, Apple TV
other older items of various types and vintages
post #14709 of 14982 Old 02-03-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I had the blue laser problem 2+ years ago. Sent to Panasonic, about $70, back in 5 days, no problems since.
post #14710 of 14982 Old 02-03-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 284
The fixed rate price from Panasonic service is currently $130, not including your boxing and shipping of your broken one to them, at least when I checked fairly recently, here, on 12/13/11 to be exact.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #14711 of 14982 Old 02-03-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobart View Post

From what I have seen the "copyright violation" message is a generic one that Panasonic uses when it has problems reading the disc. My BD35 started giving that message on discs that had played just fine in the past. I also had no luck with cleaning efforts. From my experience and that of others, and checking with Panasonic, this is a sign that the BD loader (the drive) is failing. Like you I purchased a new player (the 110 due to the price on sale+the Avatar 3D promo, even though I was not at all happy at how short the 35's lifetime had been...)

My BD35 has been flawless since day one. I REALLY want to upgrade, but the darned thing just hasn't let me down once, so I'm having trouble justifying replacing it, even though it's slower than dirt.

If it starts to go, though, replacement trumps repair unless you really need the analog features that no longer exist in newer BR players. Even if repair was only $70, instead of $130, the BD75 is a whopping $67 at Amazon right now, and the excellent 210 is only $126. (or 110 for $118)

Again, unless you need the analog features, spending $70-130 (plus shipping) to repair an old, slow player just makes no sense in today's world.
post #14712 of 14982 Old 02-03-2012, 07:00 PM

Liked: 14
Thank you all for replying to my post and troubles with my BD55. It makes sense that "Copyright Violation" appears as a generic answer to an issue since the discs were all legitimate copies. It must have been the laser or the disc tray going bad, but it still is confusing to me as to why it would give me troubles on "Real Steel" for over 1 full hour, and yet load Wall-e with no problems. I received my BD210 next day from Amazon (I love prime, but I have a feeling I spend more money with it, than I would if I didn't...great marketing). I rented the same disc from the grocery store (they let me rent for free after I told them it didn't play the prior night). First time I put it in the tray, it loaded with no problems at all. Again, thank you all for your help and support (much more than my dog gave me).
For the record, I loved my BD55 and really didn't want to upgrade just yet, but the BD210 is amazingly fast at loading...however I have noticed it to be a bit louder than my BD55. No big problem there once the movie is playing though.

Josh
post #14713 of 14982 Old 02-03-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

That's not the way I read the manual. I'm staring at the cryptic audio format chart on page 8. Footnote 2 reads
When playing BD-Video without secondary audio or clicking sound, the audio is output as the same format as if “BD-Video Secondary Audio” was set to “Off”.

Chris Boylan of BigPictureBigSound, who corresponds with Panasonic engineering in Japan, passed along information from them saying the player uses the lossy sources when SA is turned on. That's been confirmed by people who have tested 7.1 discs and get 5.1 outputs under those circumstances.

It's a matter processing power. The player can't decode lossless while doing the mixing at the same time. It is possible that a disc without any secondary audio anywhere, including no menu sound effects, can be played losslessly with SA turned on. But, that would be a rare disc.

EDIT: If you search this thread for posts by Boylan13, you will find a number in late 2008 and early 2009 that address this issue of lossless and secondary audio.
post #14714 of 14982 Old 02-04-2012, 12:59 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks guys for the help with connecting to my new HDMI receiver. Choosing the HDMI out settings and bitstream, along with secondary audio OFF, worked like a champ.
post #14715 of 14982 Old 02-05-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:

Thank you all for replying to my post and troubles with my BD55. It makes sense that "Copyright Violation" appears as a generic answer to an issue since the discs were all legitimate copies. It must have been the laser or the disc tray going bad, but it still is confusing to me as to why it would give me troubles on "Real Steel" for over 1 full hour, and yet load Wall-e with no problems. ...
Josh

My BD35 got very erratic at displaying that Copyright Violation message, sometimes it would display it repeatedly when trying to load a disc, other times the disc would play flawlessly after one such failure when I tried again. I did notice early on (before the reading problem got chronic) that clearing persistent memory helped. My interpretation is that the unit was having problems loading the Java code and that this was resulting in corrupted memory of the code the unit uses to run the disc. Clearing the persistent memory meant starting with a clean slate.

A disc that uses more straightforward code has less to load thus a better chance of loading and running the movie :-)

Vizio M501D-A2r hdtv, Sony STR-DN1050 AVR, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray, Samsung BD-UP5000 HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo, Roku 3, Apple TV
post #14716 of 14982 Old 02-05-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My BD35 got very erratic at displaying that Copyright Violation message, sometimes it would display it repeatedly when trying to load a disc, other times the disc would play flawlessly after one such failure when I tried again. I did notice early on (before the reading problem got chronic) that clearing persistent memory helped. My interpretation is that the unit was having problems loading the Java code and that this was resulting in corrupted memory of the code the unit uses to run the disc. Clearing the persistent memory meant starting with a clean slate.

A disc that uses more straightforward code has less to load thus a better chance of loading and running the movie :-)

How do you clear the persistent memory? Is that buried in the menus somewhere or some funky secret remote button combo?
post #14717 of 14982 Old 02-06-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

How do you clear the persistent memory? Is that buried in the menus somewhere or some funky secret remote button combo?

Sorry, I'll have to dig out the manual or find the PDF version of it on my computer. My BD-35 died as I noted earlier and I have removed it. I don't recall the menu location where one reformats the SD/SDHC card (that's what the BD-35 uses for it's persistent storage).

post #14718 of 14982 Old 02-06-2012, 09:31 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Sorry, I'll have to dig out the manual or find the PDF version of it on my computer).

Hmmm, just did a search for Persistent Memory in the PDF version of the 35/55 manual I have on my iPad. No results. I'd be curious to see what you come up with. "Persistent Memory" sounds like it would be the name of the second album of any New Wave bands of the late'70s, early '80s.
post #14719 of 14982 Old 02-07-2012, 01:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrv8q View Post

Hmmm, just did a search for Persistent Memory in the PDF version of the 35/55 manual I have on my iPad. No results. I'd be curious to see what you come up with. "Persistent Memory" sounds like it would be the name of the second album of any New Wave bands of the late'70s, early '80s.

p21, Formatting SD cards/Deleting data, believe he's referring to the Format SD Card option (at step 5).
post #14720 of 14982 Old 02-07-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post

p21, Formatting SD cards/Deleting data, believe he's referring to the Format SD Card option (at step 5).

Yeah, that's it. The terms for blu-ray unit's internal memory vary somewhat between the different manufacturers, so I happened to refer to it differently from what Panasonic uses

post #14721 of 14982 Old 02-07-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:

Yeah, that's it. The terms for blu-ray unit's internal memory vary somewhat between the different manufacturers, so I happened to refer to it differently from what Panasonic uses

Thanks to both of you, I'm going to check that out...
post #14722 of 14982 Old 02-15-2012, 05:32 AM

Hi there. I have a bd35 and have had it for over 2 years now. All was well until I moved it from 1 room to another. Since then the picture intermittently drops (splash of colour on the screen) and sometimes causes a complete pause whereby the player re-sets and starts a second or two ahead of where it was??? This happens with Blu-Ray discs and DVD's. It is worse on some than others and doesn't replicate in the same place if the disc is played again? I have the latest firmware update and it is linked to a Panasonic LCD TV.
Any ideas anyone??? I am thinking of replacing but don't want to if I don't have to.
Thanks in advance. Steve
post #14723 of 14982 Old 02-15-2012, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Have you checked connections and cables?
post #14724 of 14982 Old 02-15-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Also try unplugging it for a day or so, and reformat the SD card. Not sure how much these will help, depending on the actual problem, but they can't hurt, and are free to try...
post #14725 of 14982 Old 02-15-2012, 03:56 PM

Thanks guys I'll try both of these. Will post results ASAP. Steve :0)
post #14726 of 14982 Old 02-21-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

3. Prayer
4. Smacking it
5. Cussing at it

Josh

Thanks for the post, and everyone else for all the tips. My BDP-35 has performed flawlessly for the last several years, but for the past couple weeks has started to not be able to load and read Blu-ray discs. Casino Royale, The Conspiritor, Quantum of Solace are some of the discs it won't read. Once in a while it will, but mostly not. I did update the firmware last night and thought it solved the problem, but tonight it won't read Casino Royale or The Conspiritor. It did load Quantum of Solace.

I also bought and have repeatedly run a Maxell Blu-ray cleaner disc, but it has not solved the problem either.

Based on the info here, I now suspect the blue laser is failing and it may not be worth the price of repairs. Looks like a replacement may be in order, but that will likely be an Oppo.

If there is any other trick up anybody's sleeve, would you please post it for me.

post #14727 of 14982 Old 02-22-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
ok i cant find my manual for the 35

when in the middle of a movie. what button do i press so that i can start at the disk menu?
post #14728 of 14982 Old 02-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Manual can be downloaded from Panasonic.
post #14729 of 14982 Old 02-22-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 View Post

ok i cant find my manual for the 35

when in the middle of a movie. what button do i press so that i can start at the disk menu?

Top Menu almost always works.
post #14730 of 14982 Old 02-22-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
thanks

i just got a denon1712 andwant to listen to hd audio for the first time. the only bluray i have is Mongol. when i press top menu it does take me to a menu but it doesnt have audio option, just play movie or scene selection.anyhow all im getting is regular dolby d

in the 35 i put it to bitstream and turned secondary audio off. isnt that all i need to do to get hd audio?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bh200 Super Blu Blu Ray Hd Dvd Combo Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page