post #14971 of 14982 Old 03-01-2014, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

I disagree with the notion of not upgrading the software, at least not if one wants to play newer released movies. Although yes, there is a possibility that installing a new software may activate Cinavia on some machines, that is not possible with the 35/55. It was designed before Cinavia existed and the necessary hardware chips to support Cinavia aren't onboard to be activated.

Although it is like pulling teeth to get the movie/bluray industry to admit this, so it is also very hard to find documentation on it, here's what new bluray player software releases really does: It is a new list of digital keys to decrypt the latest batch of (especially) blockbuster movies, which have new encryption keys specifically designed to thwart piracy and the use of newer releases on bluray devices which aren't compliant to MPAA/DRM/AACS-LA/DMCA guidelines.

In the olden days, companies released newer software when they found a bug in their existing software installed on ones' receiver, DVD player, etc. That's not why we have a constant string of new software  updates for Profile 2 bluray machines, at all; they'll work just fine playing older movies only, without any updating, because there's nothing fundamentally wrong with their software. It is the new crop of movies, especially blockbusters, having newer keys which needs updating.

Some manufacturers do not seem to require a constant string of firmware updates for the players to function even with new releases. Sony has not released a firmware update for my players (BDP-S1000ES & BDP-S350/550) since June, 2012, and these players play everything I throw at them just fine (new releases and old . . .). The Panasonic DMP-BD55 hasn't had a firmware release since October 2011 and it also works fine (although it doesn't get used anywhere near as much as the Sony players).

A long-time audio/video addict!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14972 of 14982 Old 03-01-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Original BD55 firmware from 2008 and still plays everything.
post #14973 of 14982 Old 03-01-2014, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 149

This topic [of special, new digital keys being made for certain blockbuster releases, Hollywood is especially afraid of piracy on] is taboo for manufacturers to even discuss since the entire concept is anti-consumer [or at least a nuisance, even for us non-pirating folks] that they'll hardly even acknowledge that the system I outlined in my last post even exists. It is considered a trade secret by some.

It's not like one can write Sony or Panasonic and ask, "Which movies' digital keys were provided by firmware update #XYZ?" You won't get an answer. Also notice there are never any specifics given to us when asked what any given update even does, other than a generic run-around like:

"Firmware #XYZ improves the player's compatibility with certain disks in relation to the unit's performance interactivity by connection via HDMI to certain TV sets for signal integrity, at this time.". 

[Whaaaaaat?]:confused:

Here's the only public acknowledgement I know of, from an actual vendor's FAQ page, that the system I outlined even exists:

"Why do we need to update firmware for disc compatibility?

One of the main reasons include copy protection. The Blu-ray format utilizes a variety of copy protection methods such as DRM (Digital Rights Management) and AACS (Advanced Access Content System) to prevent Blu-ray Disc movies from being pirated. Each movie is encrypted with a unique title key, and several copies of the title key, encrypted with different processing keys, are stored on the disc. When you play a disc the Blu-ray player figures out which of the encrypted title keys it has the ability to decrypt. Then it uses its device keys to compute the necessary processing key, uses the processing key to decrypt the title key, and then uses the title key to extract the content (movie) and finally begins playing the movie. ...

...AACS keys and their decryption methods change from one movie producer to another. This keeps hackers from ‘cracking’ the encryption keys and making copies of the movie and selling /or uploading it online. If the player doesn’t recognize or can’t process any of the AACS keys, the disc may not play properly or at all."

Source: Samsung FAQ page

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00045083&fm_seq=51347

My understanding is that only certain special movies have new keys needed, and also, in theory, a manufacturer can ignore the whole system and simply play everything, but they aren't being "Hollywood friendly" if they do that, which is why companies like the one that makes HDFury got "kicked out" of the US [or perhaps "shunned"?], also for "not playing ball" with Hollywood, but for slightly different reasons [HDCP rules].

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #14974 of 14982 Old 03-02-2014, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 89
^^huh?

No new firmware needed for anything ever.

Gary J
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14975 of 14982 Old 03-02-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 149

Well there are over 14,000 bluray movies out there. You may not have ever played one where it matters, or the part of the disc where it matters.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #14976 of 14982 Old 03-07-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I purchased my first Blu-ray Audio disc, "Imagine", a High Fidelity Pure Audio release from Universal Music Group. It has PCM, dts-MA, and TrueHD tracks, all in stereo at 96/24. The DTS track plays at 96kHz on my Denon receiver when bitstreamed over a digital coax connection. But, the Dolby and PCM versions do not. The AVR reports both as 48kHz. S/PDIF supports stereo PCM at 96/24 and the player is set to allow a 96kHz output. But, the BD55 manual has a note saying there's a 48kHz ceiling when the disc has copy protection, which is likely the case with many discs. I gather DD 5.1 does not support 96kHz under any circumstances.

This is no big deal as I use multichannel analog for high res audio content and I don't think the difference between 48k and 96k is necessarily audible anyway. But, it was a curiosity for me with my older, non-HDMI receiver.
post #14977 of 14982 Old 03-08-2014, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 89
It is a big deal for many of us to lose Audyssey Room Correction.

Gary J

post #14978 of 14982 Old 03-08-2014, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

OK. Not sure what that's about. My receiver doesn't have Audyssey, so using analog doesn't come at that price.

And, what does Audyssey have to do with the player's inability to output PCM at 96kHz when playing discs with copy protection?
post #14979 of 14982 Old 06-28-2014, 03:04 PM

Liked: 10
Question Problems with analog SW channel

Hello; I have owned a Panny BD55 player since they first came out. I'm AVR challenged (Denon 3805) so I'm using the 5.1 analog outputs for audio to my surround set up. While watching World War Z (BluRay) the other day I noticed the sub never came on. I pulled out a test tone CD and played 16, 20, 25 and 30.1 Hz and the sub never turned on. I then took the same CD and popped it into an older DVD play connected via optical and the sub worked. I played the CD in my Denon DVD 5900 connected via Dlink and the sub worked. Today I swapped my right channel and sub analog cable connection on the back of the bd55 using the same test tones and the sub worked so I can verify the analog connection via the AVR to the sub is all fine. I've been using a RS sound meter to verify where the base is coming from, it comes in handy.

I pulled out a DVD copy of Polar Express and I was able to get the sub to turn on. It seemed to require a high volume though. I then played the Blu Ray version of the movie and the sub never turned on. I was testing with the sequence about 5 min 45 sec into the movie where the train pulls into the yard.

So my question is: Is my player broken? Do I have a setting that is wrong on the player? I've tried turning the HDMI audio off and on with no difference.

Thanks much for any advice
-john
post #14980 of 14982 Old 06-28-2014, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibreKid View Post
Hello; I have owned a Panny BD55 player since they first came out. I'm AVR challenged (Denon 3805) so I'm using the 5.1 analog outputs for audio to my surround set up. While watching World War Z (BluRay) the other day I noticed the sub never came on. I pulled out a test tone CD and played 16, 20, 25 and 30.1 Hz and the sub never turned on. I then took the same CD and popped it into an older DVD play connected via optical and the sub worked. I played the CD in my Denon DVD 5900 connected via Dlink and the sub worked. Today I swapped my right channel and sub analog cable connection on the back of the bd55 using the same test tones and the sub worked so I can verify the analog connection via the AVR to the sub is all fine. I've been using a RS sound meter to verify where the base is coming from, it comes in handy.

I pulled out a DVD copy of Polar Express and I was able to get the sub to turn on. It seemed to require a high volume though. I then played the Blu Ray version of the movie and the sub never turned on. I was testing with the sequence about 5 min 45 sec into the movie where the train pulls into the yard.

So my question is: Is my player broken? Do I have a setting that is wrong on the player? I've tried turning the HDMI audio off and on with no difference.

Thanks much for any advice
-john
There is a problem using the analog outputs from any BD player as regards the LFE (subwoofer) channel.
The analog signal put out by the player is about 10db too low. From what I have read, this is intentional and because a full output LFE analog signal over that wire would distort. So, I am thinking your sub is not turning on because the signal from the Panny player to your receiver is too weak. This is not considered a "flaw" by the player manufacturers. Try going into the setup for the receiver and see if you can increase the subwoofer speaker output by about 10db.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #14981 of 14982 Old 06-29-2014, 10:20 AM

Talking RE: Problems with analog SW channel

That was it, Thank you !!! Talk about a big relief.
I'm glad I don't have to worry about any new components for a while.
-john
post #14982 of 14982 Old 08-16-2014, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Problem with Netflix Blu Ray's on DMP-BD35?

For the past few months almost any Blu-ray disc I get from Netflix is unusable. The movie will usually start normally, but at some point it will start digitally distorting and then eventually stop playing. I've tried cleaning the discs as well as the Blu-ray laser. The BD35 also has the latest firmware. I don't have this problem with any retail Blu-rays I have around the house.

Is anyone else having this problem? Any recommendations for a new model if I decide to break down and buy a new player?

Thanks.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bh200 Super Blu Blu Ray Hd Dvd Combo Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page