Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Owners Thread - Page 501 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-29-2014, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You can control it through Viera Link if you turn it on and your tv remote has the applicable buttons (and your brand of tv talks nice via hdmi too)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Hello all, I did a search but was unable to find what I was looking for. Does anybody know if you can control the DVD player via the network port? I have it connected and I was wondering so that I don't have to connect a repeater to the front of it.

I downloaded the manual and it does not mention anything about controlling the unit via network commands.
The CD, DVD and BD discs can not be controlled via the network connection, so sorry, no.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..
Old 12-29-2014, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdavep View Post
You can control it through Viera Link if you turn it on and your tv remote has the applicable buttons (and your brand of tv talks nice via hdmi too)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
The CD, DVD and BD discs can not be controlled via the network connection, so sorry, no.

That is what I was afraid of. Thank you both.

"Me Personally, I want to slay the dragon"
Old 12-29-2014, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
Very informative and really helpful. If you assume I haven't joined this century perhaps you can offer something other than sarcasm. I put pictures on dvd's so that I can send them to family and friends. They all have dvd players. What would you suggest.
Andy, the format you're using with your camera may be the problem. jpeg files are very popular and convenient. However, jpeg files can change when you transfer the file. jpeg is referred to as a "lossy format" since some of the data is discarded when you make changes to the file. Formats such as RAW, PNG or BMP are better choices since format preserves all the original data when you make changes to the photo. Those formats are referred to as "lossless formats." I shoot photos in RAW then convert to jpeg when sending a photo to someone.
The only downside with the lossless formats, they are much larger and consume a lot more memory on the card. Of course, larger files means less pictures per card.

Here's a link to article that will provide information on the subject:

Formats such as RAW, PNG or BMP are better choices for photos since format preserves all the data when changes are made to the file.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Andy, the format you're using with your camera may be the problem. jpeg files are very popular and convenient.
And jpegs are the only still image format the DMP-BD35 can play, so any further discussion of what "might" be better is irrelevant. RAW, PNG, and BMP will not work on his machine. He also had no gripes about the image quality he got from his camera when he played the SD card directly rather than burning it to disc. He wrote: "I put the SD card in my 35 and the pictures looked fantastic. I then down loaded the pictures onto a top quality dvd and the pictures lost a little sharpness. Not horrible but noticeable. Seems like the computer is the obvious culprit. Any other suggestions? "

I'm confident his direct images on the camera card he finds to be "fantastic" are jpeg. Moving, aka transferring, such files from one location to another causes no alteration to the file itself so they would look identical if played from a memory card or from an optical disc or from a hard drive, his issue is he burned them to disc in "stand alone, set-top DVD player compatible mode" (rather than directly as a computer file) so his software down res'd the camera's multi-megapixel image down to VGA quality [480p/ ~ .3 Megapixel] so as to make it NTSC friendly and playable on grandma's DVD player from the 90's.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Last edited by m. zillch; 12-29-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Hello all, I did a search but was unable to find what I was looking for. Does anybody know if you can control the DVD player via the network port? I have it connected and I was wondering so that I don't have to connect a repeater to the front of it.

I downloaded the manual and it does not mention anything about controlling the unit via network commands.
You will need the repeater. The network port is for firmware upgrades and BD Live only.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Panasonic DMP-BD35 Copyright Violation?

I just moved into a new house and finally got my system set up in the new media room. I used the same HDMI cables and same settings as before on my DMP-BD35, Denon receiver, and my Panasonic plasma TV. I went to play some demo material and I really like the opening scene of the remake of Flight of the Phoenix so I slapped it in and the BD35 acted like it was going to read it and stopped and flashed "Copyright Violation" on the screen. I played several othe blu-ray discs without any other problems. I also have a PS3 so I puth the Flight of the Phoenix disc in the PS3 and the PS3 wouldn't even recognize there was a disc in it. I was also able to play every other blu-ray I have in the PS3. Not done yet, I put the Flight of the Phoenix disc in the cheap Samsung 5700 blu-ray player downstairs hooked directly to a Samsung LED TV and it played just fine. So, I have no clue why the disc won't play in my BD35 or the PS3. Both of them are run to my Denon 3808ci via HDMI and then HDMI out of the Denon to my plasma. Any ideas?

Maybe it's time for a new blu-ray player? I'm not spending $500 on the Oppo but I don't have a problem spending a couple hundred. If it is time for a new one, what has good build quality and great video performance in that price range? I could care less about streamin capabilities because I have that with the PS3.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by loknload View Post
I just moved into a new house and finally got my system set up in the new media room. I used the same HDMI cables and same settings as before on my DMP-BD35, Denon receiver, and my Panasonic plasma TV. I went to play some demo material and I really like the opening scene of the remake of Flight of the Phoenix so I slapped it in and the BD35 acted like it was going to read it and stopped and flashed "Copyright Violation" on the screen. I played several othe blu-ray discs without any other problems. I also have a PS3 so I puth the Flight of the Phoenix disc in the PS3 and the PS3 wouldn't even recognize there was a disc in it. I was also able to play every other blu-ray I have in the PS3. Not done yet, I put the Flight of the Phoenix disc in the cheap Samsung 5700 blu-ray player downstairs hooked directly to a Samsung LED TV and it played just fine. So, I have no clue why the disc won't play in my BD35 or the PS3. Both of them are run to my Denon 3808ci via HDMI and then HDMI out of the Denon to my plasma. Any ideas?

Maybe it's time for a new blu-ray player? I'm not spending $500 on the Oppo but I don't have a problem spending a couple hundred. If it is time for a new one, what has good build quality and great video performance in that price range? I could care less about streamin capabilities because I have that with the PS3.
Sounds like it could be a handshake issue between the player and the TV. It's not a copy of a BD right? If it's a copy and a Sony title chances are it's got that watermark on it.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Old 02-05-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Good question. The BD35 was made before Cinavia was introduced, I'm pretty sure, however there may still be something in a copied signal which the machines can still sense.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post
Sounds like it could be a handshake issue between the player and the TV. It's not a copy of a BD right? If it's a copy and a Sony title chances are it's got that watermark on it.
Not a copy. It is one of the first blu-ray discs I ever bought when blu-ray first hit the market. What gets me is that I don't have this issue with any other BD, I didn't have this issue before I moved a re-set up my system, and the PS3 doesn't recognize it at all. So what do I need to do to cue the handshake issue? I am using monoprice high speed HDMI cables between my player and PS3 and my Denon AVR and the same cable from the monitor out of my AVR to the TV.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Comes up a lot when you put "Copyright Violation" in Search this Thread.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Sounds more like the disc if it doesn't play in your PS3, either. Try a gentle cleaning.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Old 02-05-2015, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by loknload View Post
Not a copy. It is one of the first blu-ray discs I ever bought when blu-ray first hit the market. What gets me is that I don't have this issue with any other BD, I didn't have this issue before I moved a re-set up my system, and the PS3 doesn't recognize it at all. So what do I need to do to cue the handshake issue? I am using monoprice high speed HDMI cables between my player and PS3 and my Denon AVR and the same cable from the monitor out of my AVR to the TV.
If it's not difficult - try swapping out cables.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Old 02-05-2015, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Good question. The BD35 was made before Cinavia was introduced, I'm pretty sure, however there may still be something in a copied signal which the machines can still sense.
You are correct, the Panasonic DMP-BD 35 & 55 are cinavia free.
I have never run into this problem, but other owners have diagnosed the issue as a problem with the disc. Cleaning the disc or replacing it solved the problem for them.

A long-time audio/video addict!

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Lg Bh200 Super Blu Blu Ray Hd Dvd Combo Player , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player