Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Owners Thread - Page 51 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1501 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All I can say for sure is that the BD-35 plays DVD-R discs that I created and burned here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 08:59 AM

I bought the Sony S350 a month ago, and what I don't like about it is how it displays dark scenes, like night scenes. It's like the images shift and it drives me nuts. I know it's not my TV as my Toshiba HD30 doesn't have this issue. Dark scenes are just as crystal clear as bright scenes.

I have two more days remaining for the return window with Amazon, so I'm thinking of returning the Sony and picking up the BD35. So my question is, how does the BD35 do when it comes to dark scenes?

Thanks.
post #1503 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 08:59 AM

Does the BD35 still require a CD for firmware updates?
post #1504 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 09:01 AM

From p. 14 of U.S. manual: "With installation where your broadband modem is connected directly to your PC, a router must be installed."

I have Verizon DSL, and I connect the DSL modem directly to my PC. I don't plan to use the broadband connection for anything other than downloading updates (I'd have to move the modem for this purpose). So, could I connect the DSL modem directly to the BD55, or will I have to get a router? (FYI: I have only one PC and one DSL modem. The modem would be in use by only one device at a time, either the PC or the BD55.)
TIA,
Eben
post #1505 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg5spd View Post

The Hulk (not the Incredible Hulk) is misprinted on HD DVD and Bluray. It says 2:35 but the movie is actually 1:85 which filles the screen, just a misprint.

Thanks for the info.

Jay
post #1506 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 09:06 AM

Liked: 11
For those of you interested in buying this from Amazon.com, it's finally available today via Prime for shipping this weekend at a fairly good price too.
post #1507 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 09:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallmedia View Post

Another BD-35: I own the Toshiba HD-A30, and briefly owned the Panasonic BD-30. The BD-35 definitely upscales SD better than the BD-30 based on scenes I play repeatedly to test such things. It is still a tick mark below the Toshiba, but all in all very respectable. It also plays DVD-Rs I created here just fine. 4:3 DVDs, 4:3 extras on a DVD, etc., are flagged correctly and show up in the proper aspect ratio - no stretching (a la the LG-BH 200). Unfortunately mine's going back to BB today, as I still can't get the "Hairspray" disc to eject...

That should never happen. But you are going to have to get your disc out so take off the cover and see if you can gently force the tray open. I wouldn't assume that the Best Buy guys will do this for you.

Maybe your particular player has a DTS-HD MA 7.1 fetish?

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #1508 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben View Post

From p. 14 of U.S. manual: "With installation where your broadband modem is connected directly to your PC, a router must be installed."

I have Verizon DSL, and I connect the DSL modem directly to my PC. I don't plan to use the broadband connection for anything other than downloading updates (I'd have to move the modem for this purpose). So, could I connect the DSL modem directly to the BD55, or will I have to get a router? (FYI: I have only one PC and one DSL modem. The modem would be in use by only one device at a time, either the PC or the BD55.)
TIA,
Eben

I would suggest a cheap router so that you won't have to disconnect the connection from your PC everytime you watch a BD movie with BD Live content.

Cheers!

BD=870

post #1509 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 09:48 AM

Just a quick question: I have a Denon 3806 AV receiver and I am getting the BD-35 today from amazon. I know the 3806 doesn't have the HD audio so is there anything I need to do to the set-up for the BD-35 to get the most optimal sound? I'm using HDMI. I have the 3806 to auto detect the sound preference. Thanks for any help.
post #1510 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Is anyone with the 35 or 55 noticing a pause at the layer change with SD DVDs? (I didn't find any comments in the thread, so maybe that's a good sign). I really don't like a noticable layer change.
post #1511 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by John91C View Post

Just a quick question: I have a Denon 3806 AV receiver and I am getting the BD-35 today from amazon. I know the 3806 doesn't have the HD audio so is there anything I need to do to the set-up for the BD-35 to get the most optimal sound? I'm using HDMI. I have the 3806 to auto detect the sound preference. Thanks for any help.

Set the player to PCM for both Dolby True HD and DTS MA...this will do the internal decoding and output it thru HDMI to your Denon.....then just enjoy it

RayJr
post #1512 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 09:54 AM

Thanks! I hope the sound is better than my PS3, Blu-ray movies were always low on the PS3 and the fan noise was way too loud!
post #1513 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
On the BD-30 hit the enter button, not play. It worked for me twice.
post #1514 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyinn View Post

I am having a problem with pause while watching The Hulk. I can pause and unpause after a short delay, but if the pause is longer the "Universal" screen comes up and locks me out. I push Play and nothing happens. If I push Pause I get "This Operation is Disabled." Nothing happens until I push stop which takes me back to the beginning. This did not happen with Indy4, Golden Compass, Ratatouille and Iron Man.

Push the enter button, not the play button.
post #1515 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 10:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.crouthamel View Post

So it does play DVD-R just fine then? Interestingly enough, Panasonic's website says that it doesn't. I tried searching for DVD-R in this thread to find the answer myself, but the search feature strips of the "-R" and doesn't help

The user's manual says that DVD-R and DVD-RW are fine for DVD-Videos. I've played DVD Videos on DVD-R and DVD+R on the BD55 with no problems. I've also played back Xvid (similar to DivX) AVI files on a DVD-R and these played OK as well although the aspect ratio was not respected nor was it adjustable - may be specific to the content so I wouldn't say this is necessarily a problem with the player's DivX/AVI file support.

What does *NOT* work on the BD55 is playback of Divx AVI files on a DVD+R or DVD+RW disc, but the manual states that DivX files are only supported on CD-R and DVD-R (so this part is accurate).

BTW, here's the link to the north american version of the users manual again.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #1516 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 10:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahl77 View Post

Does the BD35 still require a CD for firmware updates?

The BD35 never required a CD for firmware upgrades. The BD30 did because it had no ethernet port.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #1517 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpro View Post

Push the enter button, not the play button.

Pressing a menu button also brings the player out of it's "trance."

to each his own...
post #1518 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 10:45 AM

Sorry for another clueless question, but I just got a long enough 5e patch cable to hook up to the 55 from my cable modem. I tried the connection test with the settings at default and it failed. Anyone know what settings I need to change for this to work with a New York City Time Warner modem box with Earthlink high speed that works with my Windows XP computer?

Thanks,

Jay
post #1519 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtw4991 View Post

Rick,
I THINK that the Lighter = 16-235 and Darker is 0-255. These relate to the BTB/WTW issues. some EXPERTS on here can explain better than I

I do not know exactly what the Black Level setting does, but I suspect that it is merely fine tuning the image.

Panasonic recommends setting Black Level to Darker if you are using component and lighter for composite. It appears that the setting is ignored when using HDMI, and this is consistent with comments in the DMP-BD30 thread.

The 16-235/0-255 distinction you are thinking of is probably what is controlled by the HDMI RGB Output Range setting. Standard is normal, enhanced takes advantage of the full range. If you activate this enhanced option, you should be sure there is a similar option on the TV.

The Panny will automatically output xvYCC (Deep Color) if it detects that it is supported by the display. If your TV supports xvYCC deep color, and you have it activated on your TV, the HDMI RGB output range is irrelevant and ignored.

Caveat: This post is speculation, but I think it is accurate.

Wouldn't it be nice if Panasonic actually explained these features?

-Chris
post #1520 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayridescarbon View Post

Sorry for another clueless question, but I just got a long enough 5e patch cable to hook up to the 55 from my cable modem. I tried the connection test with the settings at default and it failed. Anyone know what settings I need to change for this to work with a New York City Time Warner modem box with Earthlink high speed that works with my Windows XP computer?

Thanks,

Jay

First, make sure the patch cable is a "straight through". If it is a null modem cable or a crossover cable it will not work.
post #1521 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayridescarbon View Post

Thanks,

Jay

Are you hooking up the player directly to the cable modem or a router? Depending upon your ISP you may need to manually enter your DSN, Gateway etc.
On your computer go to start-accessories to command prompt then at the c prompt type in ipconfig and it'll list all your information you'll need to manually enter the data. Page 17 of the manual states how to do this.
post #1522 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caa100 View Post

I do not know exactly what the Black Level setting does, but I suspect that it is merely fine tuning the image.

Panasonic recommends setting Black Level to Darker if you are using component and lighter for composite. It appears that the setting is ignored when using HDMI, and this is consistent with comments in the DMP-BD30 thread.

The 16-235/0-255 distinction you are thinking of is probably what is controlled by the HDMI RGB Output Range setting. Standard is normal, enhanced takes advantage of the full range. If you activate this enhanced option, you should be sure there is a similar option on the TV.

The Panny will automatically output xvYCC (Deep Color) if it detects that it is supported by the display. If your TV supports xvYCC deep color, and you have it activated on your TV, the HDMI RGB output range is irrelevant and ignored.

Caveat: This post is speculation, but I think it is accurate.

Wouldn't it be nice if Panasonic actually explained these features?

Chris,
Ok, assuming you are correct, then "standard" is equal to 16-235 and "enhanced" sets it to 0-255, right? If so, then my Samsung 67A750 needs its' settings set to match the BD35 or attempts at accurate calibration will be off, right?

If the Panny automatically outputs xvYCC, then this option on the Sammy will be lit up and not grayed out, right? This should sync the BD/TV on the same page, I assume. How do you know if the Panny is outputting xvYCC though?

Thx, Mark
post #1523 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtw4991 View Post

Chris,
Ok, assuming you are correct, then "standard" is equal to 16-235 and "enhanced" sets it to 0-255, right? If so, then my Samsung 67A750 needs its' settings set to match the BD35 or attempts at accurate calibration will be off, right?

If the Panny automatically outputs xvYCC, then this option on the Sammy will be lit up and not grayed out, right? This should sync the BD/TV on the same page, I assume. How do you know if the Panny is outputting xvYCC though?

Thx, Mark

Ive got a samsung too. On my LN40A750 you need to activate xvYCC in the detailed settings menu (it is disabled by default.) Once you do that, if you are connected by HDMI, the samsung's HDMI Black Level control is grayed out.

Without XVYCC, I think the Panny HDMI RGB Output Range of Standard matches up with HDMI Black Level of Low on the Sammy.

And enhanced on the Panny matches up with Normal on the Sammy.

Again, I think this is all irrelevant if you set your TV to accept xvYCC.

And again, this is all an educated guess. I may be all wet, but I think this is right.

EDIT: and to answer your question more directly, Yes, I think that you need to get these settings synchrnized correctly for the best calibration. Standard being Panasonic's designation for RGB 16-236, and enhanced for 0-255.

-Chris
post #1524 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Is anyone with the 35 or 55 noticing a pause at the layer change with SD DVDs? (I didn't find any comments in the thread, so maybe that's a good sign). I really don't like a noticable layer change.

I'd like to know this too!

I would SO like to retire my unreliable Denon 2930 (which has a completely seamless layer change) with a BD player that equals its functionality, as well as performance, with DVD.
post #1525 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 11:56 AM

Okay new question regarding the BD55 5.1 or 7.1 analog outs. Sorry if this was answered... I skimmed, but there are 50 pages to go through.

Anyways I just got the BD55. I am very impressed so far with the upscaling. I had a nice upscaling dvds-77 pana before which bit the dust. I have never used an oppo, and I probably would prefer not to see one so I don't know what I am missing, but being in HT sales I have seen many upscalers... some brutal and some great. This I would put in the great category and for the record while my old player was out I was using my ps3 for regular dvd's and many say it is decent, but I was not happy with it and now I am happy with the 55.

Anyways my question goes out to the audiophiles... I have HK AVR 425. It has 7.1 channel analog in's. I am only hooking up 5.1 speakers. So right now I am using the 5.1 outputs on the BD55 since I don't have HDMI on the amp and opt or dig coax won't take the DTSHD or TrueHD formats. So am I best to leave it as is or is there some benefit to hooking up all 7.1 channels from the BD55 to the amp even though I don't have a 7.1 speaker set-up.

My thought is since it is already decoded the amp may not re-mix it down to 5.1 and I may miss some of the tracks. But I am also wondering if there is that possibility that hooking up the 7.1 outputs will out-put more info to the amp that I am currently missing which could be re-mixed to my 5.1 speakers. Basically I bought the BD55 so I could avoid buying a new amp in order to get the new HD audio formats. What is the best way to enjoy these?

----15 minutes later------

I just connected my optical and went back and forth between the analog in and OPT in on my amp while listening to the John Mayer Bluray concert (dolby TrueHD). I found that the optical was much brighter sounding and the analog was very flat all around. Not impressed. Any thoughts?
post #1526 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLN987S View Post

I would suggest a cheap router so that you won't have to disconnect the connection from your PC everytime you watch a BD movie with BD Live content.

Cheers!

Computer upstairs, BD player downstairs. Do not plan to have player connected to Internet full time (just for firmware updates). Will DSL modem work without router, connected directly to bd55?
post #1527 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

I don't know if this applies but on page 31 of the manual it says this:

"Seamless Play [DVD-VR]
Select the play mode between playlist chapter segments and partially
deleted titles.
≥On: The chapters in playlists are played seamlessly. This does
not work while searching or when there are several audio
types included on the playlist. Additionally, the positioning of
chapter segments may change slightly.
≥Off: The points where chapters in playlists change are played
accurately, but the picture may freeze for a moment."

I don't know if it applies because it seems to say that it only applies to DVD-VR? Anyone else know what this is referring to?

lujan
654 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #1528 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLN987S View Post

Cheers!

I think you will be fine. Anyway you can do updates via CD-R. I doubt there will be enough updates to make if worthwhile to connect to the internet.

As far as BD Live goes.... I going to call it BD Lame. It is incredibly slow. And all I see are ads for TV shows and movies. I can get that on my PC anytime I want and with a much better interface. I also tried to register on BD Live. It is very tedious and in the end it failed because it required me to choose and avatar and the interface would not let me do it (on Hulk BD). I would not waste time on this unless at some future point there is something worthwhile.
post #1529 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinotoad View Post

I think you will be fine. Anyway you can do updates via CD-R. I doubt there will be enough updates to make if worthwhile to connect to the internet.

As far as BD Live goes.... I going to call it BD Lame. It is incredibly slow. And all I see are ads for TV shows and movies. I can get that on my PC anytime I want and with a much better interface. I also tried to register on BD Live. It is very tedious and in the end it failed because it required me to choose and avatar and the interface would not let me do it (on Hulk BD). I would not waste time on this unless at some future point there is something worthwhile.

That's why I don't plan to make the effort to connect both PC and bd55 to the Internet; hardly seems worth it (for now).
post #1530 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 12:17 PM

Okay, so I just took my new BD-35 back to Best Buy, with "Hairspray" still hibernating inside with apparently no desire to get out. Tried for about an hour last night, tried again this morning to eject it, used the secret key combinations in the troubleshootiing part of the manual, swung a chicken over my head, etc. BB tech sets it on the bench, plugs it in, hits "eject", and the disc comes right out. And, of course, in unison, both tech and person at register just sort of stare at me. At this point, how do I convince anybody that I'm not an idiot, that I've been messing around with this stuff since before they were born? Anyways, the BB truck comes in tonight and they're going to just give me another one.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bh200 Super Blu Blu Ray Hd Dvd Combo Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page