Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsufan1 View Post

Are you hooking up the player directly to the cable modem or a router? Depending upon your ISP you may need to manually enter your DSN, Gateway etc.
On your computer go to start-accessories to command prompt then at the “c” prompt type in ipconfig and it’ll list all your information you’ll need to manually enter the data. Page 17 of the manual states how to do this.

Thanks, my friend just showed me how to do this to change the address settings on the 55. When I did this, the connection test passed, but when I tried to check for a firmware update just to see if the process worked, it tried and told me it couldn't, try again later. I assume it connected and this was a panasonic website problem, not a connection problem, but not sure about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayridescarbon View Post

Thanks, my friend just showed me how to do this to change the address settings on the 55. When I did this, the connection test passed, but when I tried to check for a fireware update just to see if the process worked, it tried and told me it couldn't, try again later. I assume it connected and this was a panasonic website problem, not a connection problem, but not sure about this.

Mine did that the first time I tried to check for updates. I tried again later and it worked fine.
post #1533 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben View Post

Computer upstairs, BD player downstairs. Do not plan to have player connected to Internet full time (just for firmware updates). Will DSL modem work without router, connected directly to bd55?

You'lll be fine but I suspect if you have the correct cable and all the obvious itmes are checked, you'll need to manually add info for the network to work. I've got mine going through a linksys wireless router.
post #1534 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by crhocker View Post

I just connected my optical and went back and forth between the analog in and OPT in on my amp while listening to the John Mayer Bluray concert (dolby TrueHD). I found that the optical was much brighter sounding and the analog was very flat all around. Not impressed. Any thoughts?

That is discouraging to hear... I was really hoping that the new Panny would do a better job if the internal decoding or have a better DAC than before. I've been using a Panny 10A connected via 5.1 analog out to a Denon 3801 but I also have a coax to the 3801. I found some TrueHD tracks to sound pretty weak from the Panny... they lacked a fullness and seemed to slightly mute some of the score and aural sounds. When I would switch to the coax input on my receiver it would sound better.

I suppose it is going to depend how good the DAC is in the receiver?

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #1535 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinotoad View Post

Mine did that the first time I tried to check for updates. I tried again later and it worked fine.

Thanks, I'll try again later.
post #1536 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:

Thanks, my friend just showed me how to do this to change the address settings on the 55. When I did this, the connection test passed, but when I tried to check for a firmware update just to see if the process worked, it tried and told me it couldn't, try again later. I assume it connected and this was a panasonic website problem, not a connection problem, but not sure about this.

Sweet, just try it again if it fails a Panny rep should be able to ping it and get some type of response.
post #1537 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben View Post

Computer upstairs, BD player downstairs. Do not plan to have player connected to Internet full time (just for firmware updates). Will DSL modem work without router, connected directly to bd55?

I am in the same situation. I wonder if this will work: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-BL-P...5307250&sr=8-2
post #1538 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caa100 View Post

Ive got a samsung too. On my LN40A750 you need to activate xvYCC in the detailed settings menu (it is disabled by default.) Once you do that, if you are connected by HDMI, the samsung's HDMI Black Level control is grayed out.

Without XVYCC, I think the Panny HDMI RGB Output Range of Standard matches up with HDMI Black Level of Low on the Sammy.

And enhanced on the Panny matches up with Normal on the Sammy.

Again, I think this is all irrelevant if you set your TV to accept xvYCC.

And again, this is all an educated guess. I may be all wet, but I think this is right.

EDIT: and to answer your question more directly, Yes, I think that you need to get these settings synchrnized correctly for the best calibration. Standard being Panasonic's designation for RGB 16-236, and enhanced for 0-255.

Chris,
The xvYCC on the Panny is a default output IF the disc is encoded that way? Sometimes I can select xvYCC, sometimes I cant. Gonna have to check this tonight.
post #1539 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

That is discouraging to hear... I was really hoping that the new Panny would do a better job if the internal decoding or have a better DAC than before. I've been using a Panny 10A connected via 5.1 analog out to a Denon 3801 but I also have a coax to the 3801. I found some TrueHD tracks to sound pretty weak from the Panny... they lacked a fullness and seemed to slightly mute some of the score and aural sounds. When I would switch to the coax input on my receiver it would sound better.

I suppose it is going to depend how good the DAC is in the receiver?

Any audible difference between the DACs would be very subtle, I think what you are hearing is a difference in setup (maybe LFE not boosted correctly) or processing (many receivers won't do any kind of processing on analog inputs).

If people have used analog inputs in the past (e.g. with SACD or DVD-A players) and been happy, then no problem. But anyone who hasn't thought about the issues before is probably going to have a hard time getting the analog audio to sound as good as a bitstream to the receiver. It's not plug and play like a digital connection.
post #1540 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

I am in the same situation. I wonder if this will work: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-BL-P...5307250&sr=8-2

Another thought: using a second DSL modem. Would that work (i.e., one modem upstairs for PC, one downstairs for bd55)?
post #1541 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtw4991 View Post

Chris,
The xvYCC on the Panny is a default output IF the disc is encoded that way? Sometimes I can select xvYCC, sometimes I cant. Gonna have to check this tonight.

Dude, you are asking me to get in over my head here!

But seriously, I think if both the player and TV support xvYCC, they make use of it, regardless of the content of the disc. May not be a difference in PQ, but the devices should be in sync.

If you turn it off, you have to be sure to match the HDMI Black Level settings. If you mismatch them, you will experience problems with your PQ. The 650 and 750 threads are full of examples where people have mismatched their components, and are trying to compensate by using black adjust settings (different from HDMI Black Level.)

Want to get more confused? Read this:
http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/ca...vels-xvycc-rgb They use yet another set of terms for Standard/Enhanced.

-Chris
post #1542 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 01:09 PM

Thanks Chris! Not trying to blow up your head, lmao. Not sure I want to get that deep either, lol.
post #1543 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

Uh, maybe, but why? Why not just use CD-R for updates or just carry your BD player up to your connection when there is an update. I doubt this will be often.
post #1544 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

Actually Schwa just said on the previous page that he has the same problem with a BD35 and a TX-NR905 (3:10 to Yuma). Please let us know what results you get whenever you get a hold of a copy. It's actually not a terrible movie (worth a rental).

-CB

Hey Chris,

I bought 3:10 to Yuma and everything works great! I selected the PCM 7.1 track and got sound coming from my rear speakers and side surrounds. I bistream my audio to the Onkyo 805 and the front panel lit up with all 7 channels. Hopefully this helps in figuring out whats going on.
post #1545 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 01:16 PM

WOW...just got the BD-35 in and did the change to PCM and I must say the audio on this thing is kick-arse! The sound is so much better than with my PS3 and there's no fan noise! Watching The Incredible Hulk right now and PQ and audio are superb!
post #1546 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Any audible difference between the DACs would be very subtle, I think what you are hearing is a difference in setup (maybe LFE not boosted correctly) or processing (many receivers won't do any kind of processing on analog inputs).

If people have used analog inputs in the past (e.g. with SACD or DVD-A players) and been happy, then no problem. But anyone who hasn't thought about the issues before is probably going to have a hard time getting the analog audio to sound as good as a bitstream to the receiver. It's not plug and play like a digital connection.

That has not been my experience in the headphone world and I have heard my fair share of DAC's.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #1547 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:

Okay, so I just took my new BD-35 back to Best Buy, with "Hairspray" still hibernating inside with apparently no desire to get out. Tried for about an hour last night, tried again this morning to eject it, used the secret key combinations in the troubleshootiing part of the manual, swung a chicken over my head, etc. BB tech sets it on the bench, plugs it in, hits "eject", and the disc comes right out. And, of course, in unison, both tech and person at register just sort of stare at me. At this point, how do I convince anybody that I'm not an idiot, that I've been messing around with this stuff since before they were born? Anyways, the BB truck comes in tonight and they're going to just give me another one.

What was the longest you left it unplugged before taking it in? That's the only variable I can think of, unless you dropped it on the way in. In other words, if you only left it unplugged for say 30 seconds, maybe it needed 10 minutes.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #1548 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallmedia View Post

Okay, so I just took my new BD-35 back to Best Buy, with "Hairspray" still hibernating inside with apparently no desire to get out. Tried for about an hour last night, tried again this morning to eject it, used the secret key combinations in the troubleshootiing part of the manual, swung a chicken over my head, etc. BB tech sets it on the bench, plugs it in, hits "eject", and the disc comes right out. And, of course, in unison, both tech and person at register just sort of stare at me. At this point, how do I convince anybody that I'm not an idiot, that I've been messing around with this stuff since before they were born? Anyways, the BB truck comes in tonight and they're going to just give me another one.

That's funny. I feel for you because I had a similar incident just last week where I couldn't get some software to work and I tried lots and lots of things to get it to work. As soon as some help came, I tried the software and it worked like a charm. Sometimes, I think these inanimate objects have it in for me.

lujan
649 Blu-ray
21 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #1549 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
caa100,

I've given away most of my non-anamorphic discs, just keeping a few real favorites. I'm going to borrow the Abyss back and see what's up - I recall it being 2.35, but I also recall ChrisB saying it filled his screen? Anyhow, the subject is extremely confusing and frustrating, but ultimately so arcane I doubt there's half a dozen people here that care lol.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #1550 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 02:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Sorry for another clueless question, but I just got a long enough 5e patch cable to hook up to the 55 from my cable modem. I tried the connection test with the settings at default and it failed. Anyone know what settings I need to change for this to work with a New York City Time Warner modem box with Earthlink high speed that works with my Windows XP computer?

Thanks,

Jay

Hi, Jay,

That's my exact configuration (and I can see your house from here!) but I use a Linksys WRT54g router and the BD55 works with the DHCP defaults.

Which cable modem are you using? does it have a built in router or are you unplugging the PC when you plug in the BD player? You might need to plug in the network cable to the modem and to the Panasonic and power cycle both components in order for it to work.

I don't think you'll be able to do a static IP address without a router in there but you shouldn't need to. Let me know if unplugging and re-plugging the power from both components works.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #1551 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

I used coax before and not analog outputs, I can say for certain that coming from that to analog (using PCM) has made a huge improvement for SQ. I hear more and sounds I didn't notice before using.
post #1552 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

Hi, Jay,

That's my exact configuration (and I can see your house from here!) but I use a Linksys WRT54g router and the BD55 works with the DHCP defaults.

Which cable modem are you using? does it have a built in router or are you unplugging the PC when you plug in the BD player? You might need to plug in the network cable to the modem and to the Panasonic and power cycle both components in order for it to work.

I don't think you'll be able to do a static IP address without a router in there but you shouldn't need to. Let me know if unplugging and re-plugging the power from both components works.

-CB

Hi Chris,

Thanks, as you might have read further, I ended up changing the IP and DNS setting according to what my computer said and got the connection to pass.

However, despite having a working connection, several attempts throughout the day to try the firmware update process failed saying to try again later. It appears the panasonic support website is up and running, so I don't know why it won't work.

If I changed the IP and DNS settings and its passing the connection test, do I need to change the default proxy server settings? Right now the default has nothing listed for setting and 0 listed for the ports.

Yes, I have to unplug the computer from the modem when I plug in the patch to the 55.

Thanks

Jay
post #1553 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinotoad View Post

Uh, maybe, but why? Why not just use CD-R for updates or just carry your BD player up to your connection when there is an update. I doubt this will be often.

But what if I wanted to keep it connected all the time for BD live stuff? This would be a good solution I think.
post #1554 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 02:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallmedia View Post

Had you tried the eject button? It's all the way on the right.

But seriously, I *hate* when that happens...

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #1555 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 02:42 PM

So far as I'm aware, there are NO Blu-Ray discs encoded in the xvYCC format. This doesn't mean that BTB and WTW signals on Blu-Ray are necessarily null-bits, but it does mean that you shouldn't see any difference using xvYCC if black and white levels are properly set.

The specifications explicitly state that xvYCC decoding is only done for AVCHD content supplied via the SD card reader from xvYCC capable camcorders.
post #1556 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 02:46 PM

I have been enjoying the BD 55 using 7:1 analog outputs to my Denon 3803 receiver; using the EXT IN setting on the receiver.

Unfortuately, DTS MA 5:1 and Dolby True HD 5:1 do not send any signals to the rear surround channels.; unlike DTS ES and DD Ex; which send signals to the rear surrounds from a 5:1 source.

Lossless 5:1 sounds great; but no rear sound. 7:1 sources work fine.

Is there a setting I am missing?
Would an HDMI equiped receiver handle any differently?

Thanks.
post #1557 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

Hey Chris,

I bought 3:10 to Yuma and everything works great! I selected the PCM 7.1 track and got sound coming from my rear speakers and side surrounds. I bistream my audio to the Onkyo 805 and the front panel lit up with all 7 channels. Hopefully this helps in figuring out whats going on.

Am I the only one that has gotten this disc to work correctly?
post #1558 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 02:49 PM

I just connected my optical and went back and forth between the analog in and OPT in on my amp while listening to the John Mayer Bluray concert (dolby TrueHD). I found that the optical was much brighter sounding and the analog was very flat all around. Not impressed. Any thoughts?

I have my 55 connected via 5.1 analog to separates. I have done many A/B comparisons using my pre-amps processing and the 55's. For TrueHD, I consistently have noticed more dynamics and a larger soundstage. For DTS-MA, I have tried multiple dics, and honestly did not notice as much of a difference. This may be because there is a larger bandwidth being used by core DTS on the discs. FYI on DACs, did same tests with Pioneer 51 player (which is supposed to have "better" Wolfson DACs) - TrueHD sounded the same as the 55 on my test discs, and I could not test DTS-MA b/c it doesn't do it.
I agree with a previous posting that setup has alot to do with getting the audio right in analog. I have spent hours tweaking speaker and bass levels.
post #1559 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 02:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

Hey Chris,

Well it is helpful, but perplexing. Seems like most, but not everyone, who tries it on the Onkyo 05 series has the problem with the rear channels missing. The only thing it seems like it could be is a firmware difference in the receivers as was suggested earlier. To bad that's something that requires the unit to be shipped or brought into a service center.

My first response from Onkyo Japan was that they were unable to reproduce the problem too, so I may just give up on this since it doesn't seem to be a problem for everyone. And I've already disconnected the 605 from my system. I'm going to have Brandon DuHamel (who is reviewing the BD35 for us) test this as well, because I believe he also has an Onkyo receiver. He just got it today though, so it may be a while before he's had a chance to set it up and do any testing.

Regards,

-Chris

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #1560 of 14981 Old 10-29-2008, 02:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

caa100,

I've given away most of my non-anamorphic discs, just keeping a few real favorites. I'm going to borrow the Abyss back and see what's up - I recall it being 2.35, but I also recall ChrisB saying it filled his screen? Anyhow, the subject is extremely confusing and frustrating, but ultimately so arcane I doubt there's half a dozen people here that care lol.

It zoomed to fill the width of the screen but not the height. IOW, aspect ratio was correct. But if you turn on the commentary subtitle track, you should see the 2nd line of text clipped off the bottom. That's the only part that bothers me.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bh200 Super Blu Blu Ray Hd Dvd Combo Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page