Originally Posted by Bytehoven
I have only watch a couple of DVDs on the 55K so far, but I also thought RED might have been a little hot on the Ironman DVD.
I watched Indy Jones 4 (Blu-Ray) on my 55K. I thought the faces looked a little more orange-ish than I like. I thought it may have been the director's choice to warm up the colors. I then saw a TV ad for the DVD, and the faces did not have that orange-ish color in the ad.
I only got the player today, so I have not spent time trying different discs, or adjusting settings on the player or my plasma. However, I was not able to get rid of the orange turning down the color under the Video - "User" setting (the only setting that is adjustable).
Some quick random impressions about the BD55K:
- Resume mode does not work for blu-ray discs, but does work for dvds (the manual confirms this). If you hit stop on a blu-ray disc, you have to start your disc from the beginning. Is this typical for blu-ray players?
Also, if you go into the setup mode while watching a blu-ray disc, the player stops the disc and you have to restart. Makes it inconvenient to tweak initially.
- Some of the forward and reverse play modes don't seem to work if you are on pause. It will take a little to get the hang of moving around a movie.
- On DVDs, the menu button does not seem to work while the movie is playing. It takes a couple maneuvers to get back to the main menu.
- Does not show time past or remaining on chapters in a disc. Does not show time remaining on a disc. It only shows the time past and overall length of a movie, so you have to do a little mental math to figure out how much time is left to go to the end.
- On a DVD, if you hit FF and play on a DVD, it will play video and audio at a faster speed -- like when you sped up a cassette or vinyl record as a kid. Nice way to move quickly through a scene.
- Under the Video - "User" setting, I turned contrast down a notch. You cannot reduce brightness though.