post #181 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

My BD35 is super quiet even tray opening is pretty silent. The blu ray PQ is fantastic just finished watching Indiana Jones.

Agreed. So far on my virgin run of bluray discs, I am more than pleased.

TV - Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma
L/R - Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweets in piano black
C - Ascend Sierra Horizon with RAAL Tweet in piano black
Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by chix View Post

Best Buy will not be stocking. Bite the bullet and buy with a credit card that has an extended warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Space View Post

BB not going to carry these models? Any idea why?

Yes they will. Unfortunately they are not slated to get them in until November.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #183 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayridescarbon View Post

Thanks Cpcat and Robert.

Here's my initial feedback on the 55. This will be of little use to most as I have no blu ray player to compare it to and my DVD player is an older model with no upconversion. Also, I have a 10 year old, very high end 2 channel audio system that was built for audio reproduction, so I can only comment on 2 channel audio. I bought the 55 as my current DVD player is a California Audio Labs CL 20, which is also a very high end CD player(it is the CD player in my audio system). It has a very high end analog audio section which I used in DVD playback, so I wanted the better analog audio section (capacitors, etc.)in the 55.

First, the player was fairly easy to set up. The unit is dead silent. The front display can be dimmed, but not turned off. The blue light can be set in the Display to on, off, or SD inserted. Load time for an SD DVD was about the same as my DVD player. I first put the DVD The Ultimate Gift in my DVD player and watched a bit, then in the 55. The upconversion in the 55 gave somewhat better detail, but I wasn't wowed. The sound seemed a bit better on my CAL DVD player with a bit more extension and detail in the bottom.

I only have one Blu-Ray from Netflix here (Baby Mama). From the tray closing to the film's menu coming on took 48 seconds. Again, with no other HD to compare it to other than broadcast tv, the picture seemed just okay (I know, it's probably just this film). It seemed comparable to an average HD picture I have seen on broadcast tv, but I have seen some broadcasts both on network and cable HD such as HDNET that were far more detailed and with better color saturation. I set the player's output to 24 p and then set the panny 800 to 48hz, but the flicker was very noticeable and annoying. I had to set the panny back to 60hz. I didn't see any clear difference with the panny set to 48hz, but I didn't have it on for long or go back and forth several times to look as I just found the flickering too annoying. I also could not get the frame by frame advance to work correctly. I hit pause, then used used the arrow on the right of the okay button, which advanced the picture 3 or 4 frames, but then would only move a selection on a menu that came up from the bottom of the screen?? The manual (page20) gives the same instructions.

For those interested in the CD audio, I played a Diana Krall CD in the 55. While the sound was quite respectable, when I put the CD in my CAL, the CAL blew it away with more detail, transparency, greater soundstage, and better bass extension.

Did you get good results on your 2 channel stereo setup in simulated surround sound for HD movie watching? I would also like the beefed up audio section on the 55 to feed my MacIntosh amp/preamp 2 JSL speaker stereo setup which is ideal for jazz concert DVDs and hopefully music HD Bluray disc as they are released. What outputs did you utilize to get good stereo sound from the 55?
post #184 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Costanza View Post

The "Iron Man" BD DRC flag is incorrectly set to on. Basically this is used for late night listening so as not to disturb others in the household. It normally is turned off in your player but the best place to check is in your Denon. Look for DRC or L Night or something similar and set it to off. Your sound will be much better. I have an Integra DTC-9.8 and it is very easy to toggle the DRC (Dynamic Range Compression).

Tony

So, if the receiver DRC is off, will this disc turn it on? If the disc flag is on , how does it get turned off?
post #185 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Check the specs on the discs. Movies are mastered at 48kHz. Some concerts may be 96kHz. But, that's about it.

Hi Peter,

These players seems to have a feature that upsamples to 96kHz.

96kHz Surround Re-master

Quote:

96kHz Surround Re-master
The DMP-BD35/55 perform 96kHz sampling*1 and re-mastering of 48kHz lossless audio signals as well as sound signals with data that is lost due to compression. This increases the sound information and adds a dynamic, life-like sound ambience to the movie reproduction.

*1 CD sampling is done at 88.2kHz.
*2 DivX data can be re-mastered both on DVD and CD whereas MP3 data can only be re-mastered on CD.

Larry
post #186 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Update 55K...

Under the FUNCTIONS/HDMI menu needs to be set to ENHANCED, so the projector has proper black reproduction.

Also, as has been noted on some other Panasonic DVD players, I think the black levels are still a little hot, and setting CONTRAST to (-1) in the DISPLAY/VIDEO/PICTURE/USER settings provides just a tad better black level performance for me. Ideally, adjusting the BRIGHTNESS setting would be the best way to dial back black levels, but BRIGHTNESS does not go below (0).

I watched SD-DVD Ironman on the 55K tonight, and while it had better color reproduction than the 971H, some of the poorly shot/encoded cave footage was just a little noisy. Making the adjustments noted above helped alot, but poorly encoded low luminance video might be an area folks start to mention on the 55k. That is the only weakness I note at the moment.

I will have to calibrate my projector for Blu-Ray reference disc, then make some tweaks for the SD-DVD reference disc, and then revisit low luminance reproduction.

Lastly, may I humbly suggest any posts in this thread not dedicated to objective/subjective reviews/comments on the 35/55 players be deleted by their creator. The "OWNERS" thread will be more useful to others if it is not over weight with off topic questions and answers. Just a suggestion.

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

post #187 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chix
Best Buy will not be stocking. Bite the bullet and buy with a credit card that has an extended warranty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace of Space
BB not going to carry these models? Any idea why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

Yes they will. Unfortunately they are not slated to get them in until November.

If they have it, they will not be in the stores.
post #188 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

Update 55K...

Under the FUNCTIONS/HDMI menu needs to be set to ENHANCED, so the projector has proper black reproduction.

Also, as has been noted on some other Panasonic DVD players, I think the black levels are still a little hot, and setting CONTRAST to (-1) in the DISPLAY/VIDEO/PICTURE/USER settings provides just a tad better black level performance for me. Ideally, adjusting the BRIGHTNESS setting would be the best way to dial back black levels, but BRIGHTNESS does not go below (0).

I watched SD-DVD Ironman on the 55K tonight, and while it had better color reproduction than the 971H, some of the poorly shot/encoded cave footage was just a little noisy. Making the adjustments noted above helped alot, but poorly encoded low luminance video might be an area folks start to mention on the 55k. That is the only weakness I note at the moment.

I will have to calibrate my projector for Blu-Ray reference disc, then make some tweaks for the SD-DVD reference disc, and then revisit low luminance reproduction.

Lastly, may I humbly suggest any posts in this thread not dedicated to objective/subjective reviews/comments on the 35/55 players be deleted by their creator. The "OWNERS" thread will be more useful to others if it is not over weight with off topic questions and answers. Just a suggestion.

So these settings go for just projectors? I have a 60inch rear projection lcd tv do you recommend these setting for me?
post #189 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Is there a blue light on the 35 you can turn on and off or is this just the 55?
post #190 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

These players seems to have a feature that upsamples to 96kHz.

96kHz Surround Re-master

Yes. The poster seemed surprised that a dts-MA disc played at 48kHz instead of 96kHz (presumably without engaging that feature).
post #191 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by chix View Post

If they have it, they will not be in the stores.

No idea where you heard that from. I was just in there today. They will not stock them until they clear out the 30. That was direct from the manager. Nov. 12th.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #192 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So these settings go for just projectors? I have a 60inch rear projection lcd tv do you recommend these setting for me?

Projectors? No. Each display will handle the RGB luminance range in it's own way, depending on if it's thinks it is seeing a 0-255 or 16-235 luminance range.

The Sony HS51A expects the signal to be the 0-255 luminance range. Thus it displays the SD-DVD natural 16-235 luminance range a little brighter on the low end and a little darker on the high end. The 55k and other players with an ENHANCED RGB is meant to compensate for this by expanding the 16-235 luminance range to 0-255 or there abouts. Confused yet?

This is one reason why calibration for the source device is a worth while step.

I have never calibrated for Blu-Ray and I'm looking forward to any difference the format presents.

post #193 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS:

Possible slight red push.

I have only watch a couple of DVDs on the 55K so far, but I also thought RED might have been a little hot on the Ironman DVD.

I forgot to mention that in my follow up comments.

Was your observation with a BD or SD-DVD source?

post #194 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

YES

That is my set up.

HDMI to my projector and TOSLINK Optical to my DD 5.1 decoder

post #195 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

No idea where you heard that from. I was just in there today. They will not stock them until they clear out the 30. That was direct from the manager. Nov. 12th.

S~

Your manager was referring to the 35 rolling in once the 30's clear out. Trust me, we (BB) are not carrying the 55's in stores!!
post #196 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

The 55k manual covers the audio configurations in pretty good detail.

I managed getting the optical connection working with a little trial and error, and then checked out the manual to see if I had done things right.

I too am trying to delay moving up to a HDMI AV Receiver. I opted to spend the receiver upgrade $$$ on a DVDO Edge video processor.

Eventually I'll make the receiver upgrade, but I won't need advanced video functions, just all the audio codecs.

post #197 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGUSA View Post

Bytehoven;

Thanks. It looks like I'm ordering the BD55 tomorrow .

BTW... I believe the cheaper BD35 would also let you use it's optical connection to do the same thing. You just don't get the 7.1 analog audio out for direct matrix connection to the apmplifier

post #198 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:

Update 55K...

Yeah calibrate your projector because I'm getting deep, dark, rich colors with my setup. LG Scarlet LCD
post #199 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 08:18 PM

Just purchased the BD-55. I'm having an issue with 24p output -- it's not
allowing me to set the unit to 24p (my guess is that the unit has decided that
my display device -- an Infocus Screenplay 7210 -- can't output 1080p/24p,
even though the projector's specs indicate that it can).

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Thanks very much.

Layne
post #200 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 08:30 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGUSA View Post

Thanks. It looks like I'm ordering the BD55 tomorrow .

Unless you need to play DivX data discs from your computer there's no reason for you to spend the extra money on the BD55 then. The BD35 can do exactly what you describe just as well.

Home Page - Photos - Music :: "Unless you start making a point instead of just stating a point you're only ranting."

post #201 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netjazz View Post

Did you get good results on your 2 channel stereo setup in simulated surround sound for HD movie watching? I would also like the beefed up audio section on the 55 to feed my MacIntosh amp/preamp 2 JSL speaker stereo setup which is ideal for jazz concert DVDs and hopefully music HD Bluray disc as they are released. What outputs did you utilize to get good stereo sound from the 55?

I did not try any simulated surround sound. I simply used the 2 channel audio outputs to my preamplifier and followed the manual for setting up 2 channel downmix with the speakers set up as large. As I mentioned, I don't think the 2 channel analog audio output is as good as my CAL CD/DVD player, but I'm not that surprised as the CAL was a $2500 player ten years ago mostly due to it's DAC and analog audio section. This was confirmed by my CD playback on both units. On the other hand, the 55 still needs to be broken in, so I'm hoping the sound gets a bit better.
post #202 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post

So, if the receiver DRC is off, will this disc turn it on? If the disc flag is on , how does it get turned off?

If receiver DRC is Off the flag will not turn it on. My preamp has three settings - Auto, Off and On. When my preamp is turned off and then on DRC always reverts to Auto and that is when the flag can turn it On or Off. So anytime I play Dolby lossless I always turn DRC Off with a simple toggle from my controller. DRC is not available with DTS, therefore of no concern (at least on my system). Understand the DRC flag in Iron Man is an error and turning DRC On would be very unusual. So it pays to check. BTW, I'm talking about HDMI input from the player. Should not be a problem if your going LPCM from the player. I would think it would be wise to ensure DRC is Off ( Off is the player default) in the player.

Tony
post #203 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by layne_friedman View Post

Just purchased the BD-55. I'm having an issue with 24p output -- it's not
allowing me to set the unit to 24p (my guess is that the unit has decided that
my display device -- an Infocus Screenplay 7210 -- can't output 1080p/24p,
even though the projector's specs indicate that it can).

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Thanks very much.

Layne

+1.

35 hooked up to my Onkyo 875 via HDMI (to my Planar 720p 7060 which is 24p capable).

The 35 won't let me select "on" for 24p though I can get to it in the menu.

Hummnn...

Any help much appreciated!

creative>energy

post #204 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Non-technical "report"...

I love this 35!!!

I've been waiting for HD for soooo long now and I've had various fiascoes borrowing a neighbor's PS3 and a friend's Sony 301 (each of which I had trouble setting up correctly in my system via HDMI). Out of the box, great setup--no troubles (with the exception of being able to select the 24p output).

It is so cool to see the True HD and the DTS MA labels in my Onkyo 875 display! And, now that I have it to compare, it does sound ever so slightly better. I just love knowing that I have the ultimate in bitstreamed capacity. You do have to disengage the secondary audio to get the HD audio tracks--otherwise it is just SD DD or DTS. As discussed earlier, this is easy to find and select.

BR PQ is really great. I have a friend with a nice 1080p LCD fp and I've loved his picture sharpness, but hated his black-levels, etc. My Planar 7060 which is only 720p and shining on a fairly porous AT screen (Draper's new CineVue) is outputting an very sharp and rich picture. The menu of Spiderman III is simply gorgeous. I haven't had time to try SD DVD, but will tomorrow.

Load times are decent and I have no noise at all. I see the fan, but I don't hear it and I was running the 35 for nearly an hour before I had to shut 'er down.

This is a quiet, small, fairly fast, amazing-picture, amazing-sound machine.

Couldn't be happier after all this wait.

PS--just hoping for some insight on the earlier question of 24 fps from anyone...

creative>energy

post #205 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 10:32 PM

So, there seems to be a problem with the 24fps setting?

Is that due to model or type of tv?

For people with that problem what type of tv do u have?

I have a 1080p 120hz Samsung. Will that get the 24 fps? My ps3 puts that out and my tv displays it.

And what is DRC? I can't find it on my yamaha rx v3200.
post #206 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 11:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:

I have only watch a couple of DVDs on the 55K so far, but I also thought RED might have been a little hot on the Ironman DVD.

I forgot to mention that in my follow up comments.

Was your observation with a BD or SD-DVD source?

I was looking at the first 20 minutes of the Constantine BD in my earlier post.
However, after finishing the film, IMO the red push I was seeing was intended by the filmmaker.
After the 1st half hour or so, the BD exhibits normal color levels, as far as I can tell (face tones are normal).
The colors are, overall, deeper than the BD30 (probably just more accurate).
For example, in the first scene of Constantine there is a guy wearing a red shirt.
On the BD30, the shirt is very slightly magenta.
On the BD35, the shirt is obviously blood red.

Quote:

Is there a blue light on the 35 you can turn on and off or is this just the 55?

In default startup there is no blue light (at least in DIM mode).

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #207 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 11:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I watched Indy Jones 4 (Blu-Ray) on my 55K. I thought the faces looked a little more orange-ish than I like. I thought it may have been the director's choice to warm up the colors. I then saw a TV ad for the DVD, and the faces did not have that orange-ish color in the ad.

I only got the player today, so I have not spent time trying different discs, or adjusting settings on the player or my plasma. However, I was not able to get rid of the orange turning down the color under the Video - "User" setting (the only setting that is adjustable).

Some quick random impressions about the BD55K:

- Resume mode does not work for blu-ray discs, but does work for dvds (the manual confirms this). If you hit stop on a blu-ray disc, you have to start your disc from the beginning. Is this typical for blu-ray players?

Also, if you go into the setup mode while watching a blu-ray disc, the player stops the disc and you have to restart. Makes it inconvenient to tweak initially.

- Some of the forward and reverse play modes don't seem to work if you are on pause. It will take a little to get the hang of moving around a movie.

- On DVDs, the menu button does not seem to work while the movie is playing. It takes a couple maneuvers to get back to the main menu.

- Does not show time past or remaining on chapters in a disc. Does not show time remaining on a disc. It only shows the time past and overall length of a movie, so you have to do a little mental math to figure out how much time is left to go to the end.

- On a DVD, if you hit FF and play on a DVD, it will play video and audio at a faster speed -- like when you sped up a cassette or vinyl record as a kid. Nice way to move quickly through a scene.

- Under the Video - "User" setting, I turned contrast down a notch. You cannot reduce brightness though.
post #208 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 11:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobonsai View Post

So, there seems to be a problem with the 24fps setting?

Is that due to model or type of tv?

There is no problem with 24p.
I have the Mits. 73835 and it reports the BD35 is outputting 24p.

You need to find the thread for your LCD in the REAR PROJECTION TV Forum here at AVS to see if it accepts 24p, or look it up in your manual.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #209 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 11:13 PM

After watching some more SD DVDs on the 55, I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the upconversion. American Beauty, Rushmore, and The King of Comedy looked very good, but Rosemary's Baby looked just phenomenal.

It will take alot more time for me to judge blu-ray as I only have one now from Netflix, Baby Mama which I think looks pretty mediocre. I'll be getting a few more next week when I send my current films back.
post #210 of 14981 Old 10-16-2008, 11:15 PM

If I intend to run analog for 5.1 loseless with the bd55 do i need to be concerned with dynamic range?

My receiver doesnt seem to be able to turn it off.

I am just given the options of max, standard and minimum.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bh200 Super Blu Blu Ray Hd Dvd Combo Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page