Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Owners Thread - Page 73 - AVS Forum
First ... 71  72  73 74  75  ... Last
Blu-ray Players > Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Owners Thread
Mitsufan1's Avatar Mitsufan1 02:26 PM 11-05-2008
Other than having Divix and only fiber optic output ability the 55 provides nothing more over the 35. Response time isn't bad but it is longer than on my old DVD player. Once the screen comes on and sound I forget all that stuff......

stuMcDuck's Avatar stuMcDuck 02:28 PM 11-05-2008
hey guys sorry i dont really have time to search through 55+ pages for the answer but anyways...how the heck can you get the bmp-bd35 to loop a movie?
SD4934's Avatar SD4934 04:51 PM 11-05-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookhouseboy View Post

I've just ordered the BD55, and I have a couple of questions.

1. I'm not gonna use the analog out puts, so do you guys think that I should've just bought the 35 or is the 55 better in other ways?

The price difference wasn't that big, so I decided to go for the top model, even though they seem pretty identical on paper to me.

2. How is the response time when navigating in Blu-Ray and DVD menus?

I don't mind the 55's start up time or loading time of Blu-ray's, but I hate slow response time in menus. I'm kinda weird that way.

I think the main differences are the multichannel analog audio outs and support for DivX (and the cute little feet). As far as load times and menu response time I have been happily surprised. It loads much faster than my previous blu ray player (Panasonic DB10a) and I've had no problems with the speed of the menus.
evilted_detlive's Avatar evilted_detlive 04:52 PM 11-05-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred72 View Post

I was denied a refund at first, but after a second email complaining that I was disappointed in them, they gave it to me as a "one time exception." Gotta be persistent.

Persistence is usually the key!

Thanks for the reply
Bookhouseboy's Avatar Bookhouseboy 05:06 PM 11-05-2008
Thanks, Mitsufan1 and SD4934, for your fast replies.

It's a relief to hear that the menus loads quickly. Since I have to turn on my projector every time I watch a movie, start up loading times doesn't concern me, but I'm glad to hear that the 55 isn't worst in it's class.

Hmm, I'm starting to think that I should've saved the bucks and went for the 35. I do have the opportunity to change the order and get the 35, but I would probably regret not getting those cute feet. I like cute things, and who knows, they may work wonders with the sound quality.
slogun's Avatar slogun 05:09 PM 11-05-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookhouseboy View Post

Hmm, I'm starting to think that I should've saved the bucks and went for the 35. I do have the opportunity to change the order and get the 35, but I would probably regret not getting those cute feet. I like cute things, and who knows, they may work wonders with the sound quality.

The 55 has cute feet, to be sure, as well as a cute blue led near the display.
I went with the 35 however...
drsoggy's Avatar drsoggy 05:12 PM 11-05-2008
I just bought the BD55 for the uncompressed analogue audio. Can you guys help clarify some things? I have a Denon 3805 which will not support the new loss less audio formats but does have the 5.1 analogue connection. In reading the manual it sounds like I have to turn PCM Down conversion on thus lowering my bit rate. Can the analogue cables pass the 96kHz, or does it need to convert it to 48kHz? If it does, what would be the reason to use the HD audio through the analogue cables?

thanks,
Scott
John in Montreal's Avatar John in Montreal 05:13 PM 11-05-2008
I will be connecting the 55's analog outs to a 7.1 receiver... which I'm currently only using in a 5.1 set-up.

Should I still be connecting all 8 of the 55's analog outs (and setting unused speakers to "No" in the 55's speaker settings)... or simply go with the 5.1 outs? Does it make a difference one way or the other if the final set up is only 5.1?
ILJG's Avatar ILJG 05:54 PM 11-05-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rveras View Post

Which will be very disappointing given that low priced Onkyo receivers, 805 and below are not easily user upgradeable (unless is one of the DSP that need updating).

The 805 is updated easily enough with an RS232 cable. And for the previous "SOL" members with an older updater (1.00).... vxs3tu, alikob, jasonvr, and tspeer especially have created jigs and dongles to get people with the 1.00 loader to the 1.01 version, so they can use the RS232 from this point forward too.

The jigs these guys created work with the 605 as well.

We're approaching 85 board members, here, who've updated their 605's, 705's, and 805's main FWs and loader versions because of those guys' hard work, and certainly NOT because of Onkyo's support.

I think the question will be what will Onkyo do? Will they fix this issue for the x05 receivers? It's been looking like not a lot of FWs have been forthcoming for them since the x06 line came out. It is good to know now, though, that many of us can update our receivers since we were given the means to get to a loader version that lets us...if Onkyo does indeed provide a fix.
fuzzybk's Avatar fuzzybk 05:59 PM 11-05-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Montreal View Post

I will be connecting the 55's analog outs to a 7.1 receiver... which I'm currently only using in a 5.1 set-up.

Should I still be connecting all 8 of the 55's analog outs (and setting unused speakers to "No" in the 55's speaker settings)... or simply go with the 5.1 outs? Does it make a difference one way or the other if the final set up is only 5.1?

I would go with using just the 5.1 analog outputs and setting the unused speakers to "none".
viator122's Avatar viator122 07:27 PM 11-05-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisjan View Post

It appears that your BD laser drive is dead on arrival. This was a problem with some BD30's when they were released. If possible bring it back to where you bought it and exchange it. If that's not possible, you will need to send it to Panasonic for fixing. They have been good about turning defective BD30's around in around one week. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayridescarbon View Post

Yes, get that player exchanged pronto. You shouldn't have to have a player not working out of the box repaired. I would only settle for having it replaced. If you are really anxious to have this player sooner rather than later, you can arrange with most online retailers to "buy" another and have it sent asap while sending yours back and getting your card refunded. This would get another player in your hands much faster than a return/exhange.

Over the past 10 years, I have had only a handful of dvds from Netflix that were so beaten up they wouldn't play, although many looked pretty bad (I use a CD/DVD cleaner before playing all discs, even rented ones). However, since relatively few own blu-ray as yet, the five blu-rays I've received thus far from Netflix look like them have never been touched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHawk View Post

Same thing happened to mine. I sent it back to Amazon and got another one from CC (couldn't wait). The new one has been playing flawlessly ever since.

Thanks everyone. Amazon is overnighting me a new one. I can't wait to try it out.
bt123's Avatar bt123 07:38 PM 11-05-2008
I FINALLY received a reply from Panasonic on the issue regarding the 24p setting reverting to off for DVD's. This is from a Japanese engineer:

"After confirming with the factory they said that: it is designed that customers have to set the 24p setting for every standard DVDs, because some standard DVDs is made by 60i, then if the discs is played by 24p mode it can not be played smoothly. It is difficult for BD Player to judge standard DVDs 24p or not, so we forced customers to set for every DVDs. If we misunderstand your comment, please let us know in detail. So 24p works on some DVD disc, the one we tested here did not work. It will display 24p in the status window when DVD-Video playsback in 24p."

So, it looks like it was designed intentionally. It must be a "dummy proof" option for technically challenged people who set it to 24p and can't figure out why some DVD's won't play smoothly. I guess it makes sense and it really is no big deal as I will rarely watch a DVD. It was just a convenience thing for me. Otherwise, the BD35 has been phenomenal.
Steve Carr's Avatar Steve Carr 08:03 PM 11-05-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsoggy View Post

I just bought the BD55 for the uncompressed analogue audio. Can you guys help clarify some things? I have a Denon 3805 which will not support the new loss less audio formats but does have the 5.1 analogue connection. In reading the manual it sounds like I have to turn PCM Down conversion on thus lowering my bit rate. Can the analogue cables pass the 96kHz, or does it need to convert it to 48kHz? If it does, what would be the reason to use the HD audio through the analogue cables?

thanks,
Scott

Scott, I'm looking into getting this player myself and have been reading through the manual online.. You don't have to mess with PCM if your using the analog outputs because PCM is digital. Your AVR-3805 has 7.1 analog inputs... for Dolby TrueHD disc's make sure that BD-Video Secondary Audio is set to "OFF" so you can get full 7.1 audio and not 5.1...

DTS-HD HR and MA.. you don't have to worry about changing the BD-Video Secondary Audio at all because it works in 7.1 either in the "on or off" mode..

Sorry Just read alittle more...

7.1ch LPCM disc tracks... I know BD are out but you will find more in 5.1 than 7.1 but they are out... If you are going to use only 5.1 speakers set the BD-Video Secondary Audio to "on" that will give you 5.1 uncompressed audio... if you have the (2) back speakers for 7.1 audio set the BD-Video Secondary Audio to "off" that will give you 7.1 uncompressed audio.

Steve
drsoggy's Avatar drsoggy 08:12 PM 11-05-2008
Steve that was very helpful. Thank you for the quick reply. I will be running it in 5.1, so I will make sure to turn on secondary audio. This is a very nice player, and so far I'm very happy with it. It is a noticeable upgrade on my SD disks. I've yet to see Blu ray on it. I'm off to Blockbuster though. If you are looking at getting the unit check out the BD35 too. If you don't need the analogue out or divx, they are supposed to be the same. (If you didn't know that already.)

Scott
tim3320070's Avatar tim3320070 08:18 PM 11-05-2008
Just purchased the 35 and compared it to my original 30. There is a definite improvement in PQ and sound quality. This is not new buyers love. I have critical eyes and ears and while the improvement is subtle, it is there. A touch smoother, a touch sharper, a touch deeper colors and a touch fuller sound (don't know how this can be using HDMI though- maybe someone can explain). Nothing huge but noticeable by my wife (I didn't tell her I bought it until I asked her about the picture). The biggest gain is DVD playback- much improved over the 30 but not quite as good as my Toshiba A20 (close enough though). It's also a little faster but that's marginal.
Get the 35!
mark090852's Avatar mark090852 08:30 PM 11-05-2008
We watched our first Blu-ray movie tonight using the DMP-BD55. It's connected via HDMI to our Harman Kardon AVR-645 and from this via HDMI to the tv. The HK receiver just passes through the video signal. I'm only getting a 1080i signal to the tv. The BD55 set up shows 1080p as not supported. When a Sony PS3 is used to play Blu-ray discs the set shows 1080p as supported. Is it possible that the pass through in the receiver won't allow 1080p? I guess I'll try to connect the BD55 directly via HDMI to the tv to verify that it is not limiting the resolution, then research settings with the Harman Kardon to see if I can resolve this issue. Anybody have any other ideas?

Thanks
Steve Carr's Avatar Steve Carr 08:33 PM 11-05-2008
Sweet... thanks for the 411 on the BD35. I saw this BD55 at a closing CC and they have it still in a box new mixed in with the Open box items with all kinds of stuff around it... I'm going to wait alittle bit and see if they start dropping the prices down more in the store.. Right now 10% is no discount...

Steve
boylan13's Avatar boylan13 09:18 PM 11-05-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt123 View Post

I FINALLY received a reply from Panasonic on the issue regarding the 24p setting reverting to off for DVD's. This is from a Japanese engineer:

"After confirming with the factory they said that: it is designed that customers have to set the 24p setting for every standard DVDs, because some standard DVDs is made by 60i, then if the discs is played by 24p mode it can not be played smoothly. It is difficult for BD Player to judge standard DVDs 24p or not, so we forced customers to set for every DVDs. If we misunderstand your comment, please let us know in detail. So 24p works on some DVD disc, the one we tested here did not work. It will display 24p in the status window when DVD-Video playsback in 24p."

So, it looks like it was designed intentionally. It must be a "dummy proof" option for technically challenged people who set it to 24p and can't figure out why some DVD's won't play smoothly. I guess it makes sense and it really is no big deal as I will rarely watch a DVD. It was just a convenience thing for me. Otherwise, the BD35 has been phenomenal.

I guess you missed this post (2050)?

-CB
Josh's HT's Avatar Josh's HT 09:25 PM 11-05-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

You're probably right as I think it's the 4308 that does decoding. However in his post he claimed that it did, but perhaps he meant that it "will not" instead of saying it "will" decode.

In that case, the BD55's only advantage is analog outs, I presume (which he will not be utilizing, according to his post).

Brandon

Thank you guys, I've edited my post, I did in fact mean to write will NOT decode DTS MA and DD True HD, that was a huge typo. So yes, my 4306 is only 1.2 (may only be 1.1) compatible and I would only be running the HDMI cable out to the receiver. Thanks for the posts, I probably won't ever use divx on the BD55, so other than that option, is there anything else that I should consider over the PS3? I plan to watch more and more blu-ray; too bad there isn't a promotion to get two free blu-ray movies with purchase of the BD55, but I also will watch quite a few SD DVD's, so if the BD55 will have better PQ than the PS3 with SD, then it's a no brainer for me.
sillysally's Avatar sillysally 09:29 PM 11-05-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

-CB

CB, Did you guys compare the Pioneer 51/05 with the Panny 35/55?

If so how do they compare.

Peter.
boylan13's Avatar boylan13 09:37 PM 11-05-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

CB, Did you guys compare the Pioneer 51/05 with the Panny 35/55?

If so how do they compare.

Peter.

No. Pioneer says review samples of the BD players are few and far between. They only just sent us a Kuro PDP-5020 last week and it's been out for a while now (and the box is trashed, hope the contents are OK!).

Panasonic is one of the few manufacturers that is really forthcoming with review samples of the BD players. Hmmm... I wonder why?

-CB
ggunnell's Avatar ggunnell 09:59 PM 11-05-2008
Is Matsushita producing the Uniphier chipset? If so they may be feeding the home team first . . .
sillysally's Avatar sillysally 10:16 PM 11-05-2008
Quote:

No. Pioneer says review samples of the BD players are few and far between. They only just sent us a Kuro PDP-5020 last week and it's been out for a while now (and the box is trashed, hope the contents are OK!).

Panasonic is one of the few manufacturers that is really forthcoming with review samples of the BD players. Hmmm... I wonder why?

-CB

Thanks CB,

The reason why I was asking is because I have a new Panny 55 sitting in the unopened box and am now using a Pioneer BDP-51 with my Pioneer 141 monitor. Well I will probably hook up the 55 tomorrow and calibrate it to my 141, and then compare.

Pioneer is having there share of problems that's for sure. Pioneer is starting to be the next Denon as far as firmware updates goes. The Pioneer 51/05 has very good PQ and AQ but problems with there firmware. And imo the 05/51 has a problem with white crush . However if you have a Elite TV/Monitor and controlcal for ISF mode you can really get a great picture, if you know how to adjust the point gamma control.

One question. I have a Little Dot MK IV SE Tube headphone amp/pre amp 2ch Analog for my HD-650 headphones. What is the best why to set the 55 for audio to be used with my headphone amp?

Thanks,

Peter.
conradjohnsonfan's Avatar conradjohnsonfan 10:16 PM 11-05-2008
Just got my DMP-BD35 today. For reference, I am replacing a Sony BDP-S300.

The Panasonic is just extremely impressive. Very fast navigation, quick load times, on the order of several magnitudes greater than the Sony.

Don't believe those who say that "digital is digital". No it isn't. Their is an immediately noticeable increase in clarity over the Sony. Edges are just more defined, fine details that I never saw before are making for an enjoyable experience revisiting old favorites. It is almost like a layer of smudge has been lifted. Just absolutely gorgeous. Now, the Sony looks very, very good, mind you, and is certainly enjoyable, it just positively is not as good as the Panasonic.

My only gripe is with the apparent build quality. It doesn't have a very robust feel to it. Feels very light, and the metal skin is a bit flimsy. Reminds me of a cheapo DVD player. I guess to pack all the features and performance into such a low price requires some tradeoffs...

All in all, HIGHLY recommended.
poddie's Avatar poddie 10:22 PM 11-05-2008
Hello, I have read back 10 pages or so and would just like to clarify a couple questions I have. It's very hard to read through all the questions about analog audio and frequently I'm unsure which of the two players is being discussed, so forgive me if I just post my questions here.

First of all, I have a Sony BDP-S350 on my small TV in a secondary room and LOVE it. However, the lack of frame advance/slow mo and DTS HD Master decoding means that I am still searching for a "better" player for my home theater (which currently has a Sony BDP-S1).

(1) I have heard that the BD55 will allow me to set it up to output PCM over HDMI to my Denon 3808 receiver and enable secondary audio, and it will mix the lossless DTS HD Master audio with the secondary track automatically (no setup changes neccessary). Can someone confirm this is true? My goal is to "set it and forget it", but still be able to decode all lossless tracks and secondary audio without any setup changes. I wanted the Sony S550 for this, but it appears that you still have to switch off the secondary audio in the menus for that player to output DTS HD M as PCM. I'm worried I will always forget to turn secondary audio back off after using it and end up listening to the compressed soundtracks.

(2) I have read here several times that the BD35 and BD55 are identical in audio support (other than analog outputs). If this is so, does that mean (1) will be true for the BD35 as well?

(3) The first reviews of the BD35 I saw seemed to indicate that DVD upconversion was no better than the BD30 (in other words, not too good). A recent review of the BD55 I read seemed to indicate that its' DVD upconversion was excellent, as well as several posts here. So what's the verdict... is the upconversion between the two units any differant? This seems like the one thing I might prefer the BD55 for, as I have no use for analog outs, DIVX support, or "cute feet".

(4) How is the frame advance/slow motion? I have heard it's not that great, but haven't found any specific comments about what's wrong with it (anything is better than the new Sonys, of course).

(5) I really like the display feature on the BDP-S350. What is "missing" on the Panasonics in comparison? Are there any pictures somewhere of the display function on the Panasonics?

(6) Another thing on the S350 I really like is the setup menus. Very fast and clear. How do the Panasonic setup menus look? Any pictures?

Thanks a million for any answers someone can provide...
bt123's Avatar bt123 10:23 PM 11-05-2008
Quote:

I guess you missed this post (2050)?

-CB

Yes, I did. Do you blame me? 73 pages for a thread that started roughly 3 weeks ago!
boylan13's Avatar boylan13 10:31 PM 11-05-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt123 View Post

Yes, I did. Do you blame me? 73 pages for a thread that started roughly 3 weeks ago!

Yup. It's nice to be popular.

-CB
Wannabe Actuary's Avatar Wannabe Actuary 10:32 PM 11-05-2008
I've passed the information regarding the harmony database for the bd35 and bd55 to my contact...he's back from vacation on friday...so hopefully by monday you should see a revised harmony device profile for the 35 and 55 that matches the 30

also, the database has the 30, 50, 35, 55 and another entry for one of the two newer models with the k at the end. I told him to remove the one with the k, be consistent with the other profiles already out there and just have the search suggest the non-k entry if the k is entered.
boylan13's Avatar boylan13 10:38 PM 11-05-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Thanks CB,

The reason why I was asking is because I have a new Panny 55 sitting in the unopened box and am now using a Pioneer BDP-51 with my Pioneer 141 monitor. Well I will probably hook up the 55 tomorrow and calibrate it to my 141, and then compare.

Pioneer is having there share of problems that's for sure. Pioneer is starting to be the next Denon as far as firmware updates goes. The Pioneer 51/05 has very good PQ and AQ but problems with there firmware. And imo the 05/51 has a problem with white crush . However if you have a Elite TV/Monitor and controlcal for ISF mode you can really get a great picture, if you know how to adjust the point gamma control.

One question. I have a Little Dot MK IV SE Tube headphone amp/pre amp 2ch Analog for my HD-650 headphones. What is the best why to set the 55 for audio to be used with my headphone amp?

Thanks,

Peter.

Assuming that tube amp has only analog inputs, I would say your best bet is using the standard 2-ch (mix-down) analog outputs on the BD55 and set it for 2-ch + 5.1-ch output. If you think your pre/pro or receiver could do a better job on the D/A conversion then set the digital audio output to PCM and use the fiber optic or coax output into your receiver or pre/pro and hook that up to your headphone amp via a tape monitor out or headphone output *but* if you use a tape monitor out, then this will only work if your receiver or pre-pro converts digital outputs to analog over the tape monitor outputs (not all do).

-CB
HoneyWell's Avatar HoneyWell 12:09 AM 11-06-2008
Chris perhaps you can help...

I have an Elite 151 connected to a Yamaha RXV-3800 via HDMI. I originally got a Sony S550 but wasn't happy with the DVD Up conversion PQ, therefore I returned it and based on reviews ended up with a BD35 since it was going to be connected to the avr via hdmi. Therefore no need for the BD55 and its 7.1 analog capabilities.

Now, a friend suggested me to connect the BD directly to the Elite via HDMI and then to use a coax cable instead of the optical to the receiver to transport the best AQ. This way, I will get the best PQ and AQ possible based on his opinion. In order for me to do this, I'll need to get the BD55 instead but is this the best way to go about based on my setup???

What's the best advise you can give me? Any one is welcome to suggest...

Thanks in Advance for your Support!

P.S. These new panny BD models offer some good extra tweaking for sound and video unlike the Sony S550. I keep the Panasonic model.
Tags: Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bh200 Super Blu Blu Ray Hd Dvd Combo Player
First ... 71  72  73 74  75  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop