AVS Forum banner
2M views 15K replies 2K participants last post by  dcviewer22 
#1 ·
Circuit City online has gotten the new Panasonic players in a bit earlier than expected and the first orders are shipping today. Those that opted for "express" shipping (like me
) will begin receiving players on Tuesday the 14th. It is time for a new owners thread.

I have owned the previous Panasonic BD30, as well as numerous other models. I currently have the LG BH200 and PS3 in my system for comparison and I'll be posting my comments on the new Panasonic BD35.

See less See more
#2 ·
"Deathknight" is correct. The only difference between these players is the audio. The determining factor between these players for virtually everyone looking at them is what type of audio gear one has. Conversely, the video features and things like load times and Java performance are what will be the determining factor for most people when comparing to other players and both models will be the same in this respect.

#3 ·
According to Panasonic's news release the main difference between the BD35 & the BD55 are: "The Panasonic BD55 goes a step further with a high-end audio design and components. Thanks to a 192kHz 24bit audio digital-analog converter and high quality insulators, electrolytic capacitors, copper-foil film capacitors and ultra-low-impedance electrolytic capacitors, the DMP-BD55 delivers the same kind of exciting surround effect and lifelike ambience as today's finest cinemas. The DMP-BD55 can also output analog signals for 7.1-channel sound, so even receivers that are not compatible with HDMI can produce the newest 7.1-channel surround sound by simply connecting to the DMP-BD55."

Mine should be here by Thursday!

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisjan /forum/post/14857080

Not sure why you lumped these two players together. Each should have its own owner's thread IMO.

It guess it is all about who can start the thread first, whether or not you have it yet!

Anyway, I just received my BD55 today and excited to watch a movie tonight for the first time on it.

I did take it out of the box and compared it to the BD30 footprint. I can't believe how much smaller and slimmer it is. As others reported, the remote is identical. I hooked it up and the "easy set-up" menu is a breeze. It is somewhat dummy proof as it asks you whether or not you are hooking it up with 7.1 ch. or not.

#9 ·
I am disappointed to inform that my first report is not a good one. I cannot get audio through my 3.1 ch surround system when a movie begins playing.

I'm using optical out as my audio source.

Everything audio works great at the opening menus of all the movies I tried.....

But when I hit play, the speakers go silent. The kicker is that when I fast forward at 2x speed, the audio kicks in, but when I go back to normal, no audio.

I made sure I have the automatic firmware update is on and it says I have the most up-to-date (1.1).

I am done (and very frustrated) for tonight.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chix /forum/post/14860032

I am disappointed to inform that my first report is not a good one. I cannot get audio through my 3.1 ch surround system when a movie begins playing.

Everything audio works great at the opening menus of all the movies I tried.....

But when I hit play, the speakers go silent. The kicker is that when I fast forward at 2x speed, the audio kicks in, but when I go back to normal, no audio.

I made sure I have the automatic firmware update is on and it says I have the most up-to-date (1.1).

You will have to tell us how you have the audio setup in the 55 menu. It would also be nice to know your physical setup.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chix /forum/post/14860032

Ok, perhaps it's user error, but I discovered a menu that I do NOT recall existed on the BD50...

I went to:

--->> Setup

--->> Audio

--->> Digital Audio Output

--->> BD-Video Secondary Audio

I turned BD-Video Secondary Audio to OFF.

Now I have surround sound

I hope I saved others from aggravation!

#13 ·
I will purchase the BD35 shortly. I currently have an ONKYO 605 with a Toshiba HD hooked up for video and audio through HDMI. Anybody know the setting I should use on the BD 35 and the ONKYO 605 to get best audio?

Further explanation of this post. I have a Panny Flatscreen plasma and a TOSHIBA HD DVD player that I will replace with the Panny BD 35 and connect to my ONKYO 605 for sound. I need the settings for the Panny BD and 605 to make the most of the audio.

#14 ·
just place my order for a 55 with CC delivery tomorrow, also ordered a Monster HDMI cable from Amazon (60 % price), Indy 4, How the west was won and sleeping beauty... All is suppose to arrive tomorrow... Will be hooked up to a Panasonic 720 P (only for now) video projector and my beloved Arcam avr 300 connected to Boston accoustics...

Will report on thursday.

Pecosbill

#15 ·
Could someone who has received delivery of the BD55, please give the information from the manual that relates to speaker configuration/bass management for analogue as it has never been the best in previous incarnations.

Better still to scan and upload the pages would be useful since Panasonic have no online manuals available yet.

Thanks

Stu

#16 ·
Was just at the Fry's in Sunnyvale, Cal.. They had about 20 or so BD35's stacked on top of one of the racks in back. No BD55's that I could see.

#17 ·
I received the BD35 from CC today. Expedited shiiping got here overnight via FedEx, only negative is no double boxing, just shipped in the Panasonic carton.

Watching my first Blu Ray dics on my system and they look beautiful.

Bootup time is about 70 seconds from powerup to disc menu. Controls are responsive and yes, we have FRAME BY FRAME slow motion.

Sound is fantastic, finally the blue HD Audio logo is lighting up on my Denon 1909 AVR.

SD upconversion is as good as I was getting from my Toshiba HD-A1, so I'm pleased with that.

Thanks CC and Panasonic!

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogun /forum/post/14864887

I received the BD35 from CC today. Expedited shiiping got here overnight via FedEx, only negative is no double boxing, just shipped in the Panasonic carton.

Bootup time is about 70 seconds from powerup to disc menu. Controls are responsive and yes, we have FRAME BY FRAME slow motion.

Sound is fantastic, finally the blue HD Audio logo is lighting up on my Denon 1909 AVR.

SD upconversion is as good as I was getting from my Toshiba HD-A1, so I'm pleased with that.

Thanks CC and Panasonic!

Sweet! Thanks for posting.

I'll be living in HD (finally) starting Friday, baby!!!

I have my tracking # from CC now...

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogun /forum/post/14864887

Thanks CC and Panasonic!

Wow, I thought by now they would have improved upon the boot time. That is about the same as my Tosh XA-1. Sound and Vision quoted much less boot times.

I am scheduled to get my BD55 unit tomorrow. I was hoping for much faster boot times. If the PS3 can boot so fast (reports I have read) then why can't they improve on this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.