Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14982 Old 10-13-2008, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Circuit City online has gotten the new Panasonic players in a bit earlier than expected and the first orders are shipping today. Those that opted for "express" shipping (like me ) will begin receiving players on Tuesday the 14th. It is time for a new owners thread.

I have owned the previous Panasonic BD30, as well as numerous other models. I currently have the LG BH200 and PS3 in my system for comparison and I'll be posting my comments on the new Panasonic BD35.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14982 Old 10-13-2008, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

"Deathknight" is correct. The only difference between these players is the audio. The determining factor between these players for virtually everyone looking at them is what type of audio gear one has. Conversely, the video features and things like load times and Java performance are what will be the determining factor for most people when comparing to other players and both models will be the same in this respect.
post #3 of 14982 Old 10-13-2008, 02:37 PM

According to Panasonic's news release the main difference between the BD35 & the BD55 are: "The Panasonic BD55 goes a step further with a high-end audio design and components. Thanks to a 192kHz 24bit audio digital-analog converter and high quality insulators, electrolytic capacitors, copper-foil film capacitors and ultra-low-impedance electrolytic capacitors, the DMP-BD55 delivers the same kind of exciting surround effect and lifelike ambience as today's finest cinemas. The DMP-BD55 can also output analog signals for 7.1-channel sound, so even receivers that are not compatible with HDMI can produce the newest 7.1-channel surround sound by simply connecting to the DMP-BD55."

Mine should be here by Thursday!

post #4 of 14982 Old 10-13-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisjan View Post

Not sure why you lumped these two players together. Each should have its own owner's thread IMO.

It guess it is all about who can start the thread first, whether or not you have it yet!

Anyway, I just received my BD55 today and excited to watch a movie tonight for the first time on it.

I did take it out of the box and compared it to the BD30 footprint. I can't believe how much smaller and slimmer it is. As others reported, the remote is identical. I hooked it up and the "easy set-up" menu is a breeze. It is somewhat dummy proof as it asks you whether or not you are hooking it up with 7.1 ch. or not.
post #5 of 14982 Old 10-13-2008, 04:20 PM

I can confirm that only the 55 has Divx after reviewing the owners manual. There was confusion on an earlier thread whether the 35 has it (even though the official comparison chart always stated it is unique to the 55).
post #6 of 14982 Old 10-13-2008, 05:22 PM

Liked: 11
I'm looking for info on DVD up-conversion with these players also. I understand that no one has had a chance to play around with them much yet but DVD play back is on the top of my list as well.

Let the games begin !!!!!!!!!!!

John
post #7 of 14982 Old 10-13-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chix View Post

Anyway, I just received my BD55 today and excited to watch a movie tonight for the first time on it.

Hi,

Can you confirm that this player supports slow motion/frame by frame advance? It is a feature that I would like to have, and apparently not all players support it.

Bruno
post #8 of 14982 Old 10-13-2008, 06:42 PM

Just a reminder that this is an owners' thread. Discussion should be confined to the 35/55 only. Thanks
post #9 of 14982 Old 10-13-2008, 08:19 PM

I am disappointed to inform that my first report is not a good one. I cannot get audio through my 3.1 ch surround system when a movie begins playing.

I'm using optical out as my audio source.

Everything audio works great at the opening menus of all the movies I tried.....

But when I hit play, the speakers go silent. The kicker is that when I fast forward at 2x speed, the audio kicks in, but when I go back to normal, no audio.

I made sure I have the automatic firmware update is on and it says I have the most up-to-date (1.1).

I am done (and very frustrated) for tonight.
post #10 of 14982 Old 10-14-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:

I am disappointed to inform that my first report is not a good one. I cannot get audio through my 3.1 ch surround system when a movie begins playing.

Everything audio works great at the opening menus of all the movies I tried.....

But when I hit play, the speakers go silent. The kicker is that when I fast forward at 2x speed, the audio kicks in, but when I go back to normal, no audio.

I made sure I have the automatic firmware update is on and it says I have the most up-to-date (1.1).

You will have to tell us how you have the audio setup in the 55 menu. It would also be nice to know your physical setup.
post #11 of 14982 Old 10-14-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:

Ok, perhaps it's user error, but I discovered a menu that I do NOT recall existed on the BD50...

I went to:

--->> Setup
--->> Audio
--->> Digital Audio Output
--->> BD-Video Secondary Audio

I turned BD-Video Secondary Audio to OFF.

Now I have surround sound

I hope I saved others from aggravation!
post #12 of 14982 Old 10-14-2008, 08:44 AM

The delivery guy just brought my panny 35 ordered it from CC on Sun,open it up after se what it does.........
post #13 of 14982 Old 10-14-2008, 09:24 AM

I will purchase the BD35 shortly. I currently have an ONKYO 605 with a Toshiba HD hooked up for video and audio through HDMI. Anybody know the setting I should use on the BD 35 and the ONKYO 605 to get best audio?

Further explanation of this post. I have a Panny Flatscreen plasma and a TOSHIBA HD DVD player that I will replace with the Panny BD 35 and connect to my ONKYO 605 for sound. I need the settings for the Panny BD and 605 to make the most of the audio.

Toxic Sludge Is Good For You
post #14 of 14982 Old 10-14-2008, 09:31 AM

just place my order for a 55 with CC delivery tomorrow, also ordered a Monster HDMI cable from Amazon (60 % price), Indy 4, How the west was won and sleeping beauty... All is suppose to arrive tomorrow... Will be hooked up to a Panasonic 720 P (only for now) video projector and my beloved Arcam avr 300 connected to Boston accoustics...

Will report on thursday.

Pecosbill
post #15 of 14982 Old 10-14-2008, 11:02 AM

Could someone who has received delivery of the BD55, please give the information from the manual that relates to speaker configuration/bass management for analogue as it has never been the best in previous incarnations.

Better still to scan and upload the pages would be useful since Panasonic have no online manuals available yet.

Thanks

Stu
post #16 of 14982 Old 10-14-2008, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Was just at the Fry's in Sunnyvale, Cal.. They had about 20 or so BD35's stacked on top of one of the racks in back. No BD55's that I could see.

Sometimes I think my brain has a mind of its own.
post #17 of 14982 Old 10-14-2008, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I received the BD35 from CC today. Expedited shiiping got here overnight via FedEx, only negative is no double boxing, just shipped in the Panasonic carton.
Watching my first Blu Ray dics on my system and they look beautiful.
Bootup time is about 70 seconds from powerup to disc menu. Controls are responsive and yes, we have FRAME BY FRAME slow motion.

Sound is fantastic, finally the blue HD Audio logo is lighting up on my Denon 1909 AVR.

SD upconversion is as good as I was getting from my Toshiba HD-A1, so I'm pleased with that.

Thanks CC and Panasonic!

to each his own...
post #18 of 14982 Old 10-14-2008, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogun View Post

I received the BD35 from CC today. Expedited shiiping got here overnight via FedEx, only negative is no double boxing, just shipped in the Panasonic carton.
Bootup time is about 70 seconds from powerup to disc menu. Controls are responsive and yes, we have FRAME BY FRAME slow motion.

Sound is fantastic, finally the blue HD Audio logo is lighting up on my Denon 1909 AVR.

SD upconversion is as good as I was getting from my Toshiba HD-A1, so I'm pleased with that.

Thanks CC and Panasonic!

Sweet! Thanks for posting.

I'll be living in HD (finally) starting Friday, baby!!!

I have my tracking # from CC now...

creative>energy

post #19 of 14982 Old 10-14-2008, 03:43 PM

can any of you new owners tell me if there is a native setting for SD DVD's? I would like to have the option to let the Reon processor in my Onkyo do the upconversion.

Kent
post #20 of 14982 Old 10-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogun View Post

Thanks CC and Panasonic!

Wow, I thought by now they would have improved upon the boot time. That is about the same as my Tosh XA-1. Sound and Vision quoted much less boot times.
I am scheduled to get my BD55 unit tomorrow. I was hoping for much faster boot times. If the PS3 can boot so fast (reports I have read) then why can't they improve on this?

Hal
post #21 of 14982 Old 10-14-2008, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

I've been wringing out my new BD35 for the past few hours and I have a few comments I'll share.

For reference, the BD35 is configured for bitstream audio output to a Denon AVR-4308CI (HDMI 1.3). Video is 1080/24p to a Sony VPL-VW60 1080p projector shooting on a 106" diagonal screen. Other players in the system for comparison of various performance characteristics are an LG BH200 combo player, Toshiba HD-A35, and a PS3. Discs used for evaluation are...

Spiderman 2.1 (load time, seamless branching)
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (load time)
Ratatouille (load time)
How The West Was Won (non-Java load time)
Die Hard 2 (audio output)
Shoot 'Em Up (audio output)
Iron Man (BD Live)
Transformers (BD Live, and, well, just because I like it)

As has already been discussed, the new BD35 obviously benefits from the economies of SoC (system on a chip) design. The player is about the size and weight of the average $100 DVD player and appears to be about the same build quality. Overall operational characteristics are the closest to a standard DVD than any other Blu-ray player to date, which is a good thing.

Boot time is quick at about 20 seconds. That's the time from hitting the eject button with the player off to the appearance of the splash screen and opening of the tray. Setup is relatively simple and straightforward with the possible exception of the menu selection to turn off secondary audio to allow native bitstream audio to be output. This selection is located in a third layer menu that one has to be looking for to find.

Other than video performance, perhaps the most discussed aspect of Blu-ray players is the time it takes to load a disc. Of course, this varies based on how much Java programming has to be loaded to get to what is actually on the disc, and here are some comparative times. Load times are measured from the point that the disc tray closes, or the disc is inserted in the case of the PS3, to the first video image on screen not counting Java load icons or messages telling one that one might have to wait for the disc to load.

Disc load times I measured:

Spiderman 2.1

BD35 - 50 seconds
BH200 - 65 seconds
PS3 - 37 seconds

Pirates of the Caribbean DMC

BD35 - 49 seconds
BH200 - 68 seconds
PS3 - 40 seconds

Ratatouille

BD35 - 50 seconds
BH200 - 69 seconds
PS3 - 45 seconds

How The West Was Won (no Java)

BD35 - 28 seconds (!)
BH200 - 45 seconds
PS3 - 30 seconds

Conclusion - the Cell processor in the PS3 obviously runs Java apps faster than anything else out there, as one would expect. Without the Java resource hog, the new Panny is as fast or faster as a disc player than any other BD player out there, including the PS3. On standard DVD, the BD35 is faster than many DVD players I have used.

Speaking of standard DVD, I know DVD performance is often discussed for BD players, but it is not a terribly important factor for me personally. I am satisfied with merely adequate SD performance as standard DVD has become a very small part of what I watch. None the less, I found DVD quality to be above average for a Blu-ray player. Bear in mind I did not get into DVD test discs for deinterlacing and the couple of discs I put in were the usual film-based material, not torture test stuff. On these discs, I actually liked what I saw. Very good color rendition, and the image processing seems to keep the usual MPEG-2 nasties to a minimum. By the way, if anyone is interested, the BD35 will not play a PAL DVD.

BD Live seems to work just fine right out of the box. I had a 2 GB SD card ready for the player and with that inserted, network setup was automatic when the player was turned on the first time. BD Live worked as advertised on Iron Man and Transformers, though the download for the Iron Man disc seems to be rather slow (possibly a server issue).

On some of the discs with quirks on some other players...

Seamless branching on Spiderman 2.1 played flawlessly. Not the slightest stutter in video or audio at branch points.

DTS-HD MA 7.1 as on Shoot 'Em Up plays flawlessly.

The player appears to be reading and passing audio header flag information as the DTS-HD MA track on Die Hard 2 displays "DTS-HD Hi Res". This disc does contain a DTS Master track, but is incorrectly flagged as DTS-HD Hi Res. A couple of players apparently ignore header flags and the bitstream is analyzed and indicated as DTS-HD MA on some receivers. Not with the BD35. Not really a defect, just letting you know.

Lastly, and most importantly, video performance.

In a word, spectacular.

To be fair, the worst Blu-ray player out there is pretty damn good on Blu-ray playback, but there are differences. Between the very good and underrated BH200, the very good and overrated PS3, and the BD35, I give the edge in overall video performance to the BD35. Differences are usually subtle, but at 106" of 1080p goodness, any difference is still a difference. The BD35 excels at color reproduction with the best display of subtle shadings and fine color detail that I have yet seen from any consumer device. Excellent image sharpness without any sign of "ringing" and very good contrast adds a bit more depth and dimensionality to video coming out of the BD35. This varies depending on the program material, but what really jumped out at me was the CG rendering of Iron Man in the menu of that disc. Very noticeably more depth to this image than either the LG or the PS3.

Having gone through nearly every BD player released in the past two years either as an owner or a dealer, I have to say I am mightily impressed with Panasonic's latest effort, at least as a first impression. I'm looking forward to a bit more testing, and a lot more movie enjoyment as I learn more about this player going forward. Right now, the DMP-BD35 looks like a keeper.
post #22 of 14982 Old 10-14-2008, 08:24 PM

Awesome work Robert George.

I appreciate your time to write a great review.

I only have one unanswered question. Is it quiet? My ps3 is a hairdryer.
post #23 of 14982 Old 10-14-2008, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Do you think this player will be available at Walmart,Kmart or Target? I want to take advantage of the 90 day return policy.
post #24 of 14982 Old 10-14-2008, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Robert,excellent review.

Clark
post #25 of 14982 Old 10-14-2008, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I only have one unanswered question. Is it quiet? My ps3 is a hairdryer.

Get used to wet hair. The BD35 is dead silent.
post #26 of 14982 Old 10-14-2008, 08:34 PM

Yesss!!! I'm gonna run out of hmdi slots now but yesss!!!
post #27 of 14982 Old 10-14-2008, 08:49 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobonsai View Post

Yesss!!! I'm gonna run out of hmdi slots now but yesss!!!

Heh. Too true. I'm looking forward to getting my BD35 (amazon pre-order) nonetheless.

Home Page - Photos - Music :: "Unless you start making a point instead of just stating a point you're only ranting."

post #28 of 14982 Old 10-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

I just got my BD55 today and watched Ironman. I have a Panasonic 50" plasma PZ700U. Before the Blu-ray player I was using an Onkyo 405 DVD player, which does upconvert. Everything is hooked up with HDMI cables and goes thru a Onkyo 605 receiver. While watching Ironman I commented to all in the room "does this player, playback this movie stunningly better than what the Onkyo 405 did with other movies we have watched". The answer from all in the room..........NO. Now don't get me wrong, it's a very good picture and the receiver informed us that it was receiving in 5.1 audio and the TV was receiving the 1080P signal. But unless I don't have it hooked up correctly, it dosen't seem to be worth the $400.
post #29 of 14982 Old 10-14-2008, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

While watching Ironman I commented to all in the room "does this player, playback this movie stunningly better than what the Onkyo 405 did with other movies we have watched". The answer from all in the room..........NO. Now don't get me wrong, it's a very good picture and the receiver informed us that it was receiving in 5.1 audio and the TV was receiving the 1080P signal. But unless I don't have it hooked up correctly, it dosen't seem to be worth the $400.

You were watching Iron man on Blu-ray, or DVD (not the player, the disc)?
post #30 of 14982 Old 10-14-2008, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Wish Panasonic would post the user manual. I'm dying to read it. For that matter, wish they would list these 2 new models on their US website.

Sometimes I think my brain has a mind of its own.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bh200 Super Blu Blu Ray Hd Dvd Combo Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page