post #91 of 202 Old 01-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Eldridge View Post

For the Mac people out there. I'm more than happy to help you out with the firmware, but please post in this thread rather than emailing or PM'ing me directly.

Thanks

Please send mac version. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 202 Old 01-04-2009, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post

please send mac version. Thanks

ygpm
post #93 of 202 Old 01-05-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdz21 View Post

Hi Donnie,

New to the site, but have done a lot of reading. My father is having the same problem with movies not playing, such as HandCock. We have tried several times downloading the file from sony, but was not successful. Can you please send me the link for a non Mac and briefly explain what is the proper process to download and install the data on the player?

Thanks!

Donnie you came through again!! Thanks for help me out.
post #94 of 202 Old 01-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

ygpm

Thanks
post #95 of 202 Old 01-05-2009, 01:45 PM

Hi Donnie,

I am yet another Mac person seeking your help. Thanks in advance.
post #96 of 202 Old 01-05-2009, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadoguy View Post

hi donnie,

i am yet another mac person seeking your help. Thanks in advance.

ygpm
post #97 of 202 Old 01-05-2009, 05:08 PM

Could anyone provide a link for a Mac version of this firmware update, please?
I'm running OS X 10.5.6 Leopard.
Cheers!
post #98 of 202 Old 01-05-2009, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmacdaddy View Post

could anyone provide a link for a mac version of this firmware update, please?
I'm running os x 10.5.6 leopard.
Cheers!

ygpm
post #99 of 202 Old 01-05-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:

ygpm

Thanks Donnie. The CD burned successfully and my Sony s300 has been updated to version 4.40. Importantly, the new Serenity Blu-Ray disc now loads and plays without incident.
post #100 of 202 Old 01-06-2009, 09:12 AM

Liked: 11
Just curious. Anyone with a 300S been able to play Serenity with the 4.3 firmware? I'm still awaiting the 4.4 firmware update disk from Sony, assuming that's the reason why it plays up to just before the menu should appear, runs through 2 different load screens, and then turns off the power and reboots the S300.
post #101 of 202 Old 01-06-2009, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLTWS View Post

Just curious. Anyone with a 300S been able to play Serenity with the 4.3 firmware? I'm still awaiting the 4.4 firmware update disk from Sony, assuming that's the reason why it plays up to just before the menu should appear, runs through 2 different load screens, and then turns off the power and reboots the S300.

4.4 resolves the issue with Serenity.
post #102 of 202 Old 01-06-2009, 10:34 AM

My father was talked into the BDP S300 almost a year ago when he was upgrading his system. He has since stopped using it entirely because it was SO SLOW. Slow to load, slow to respond; just plain annoyingly slow. I have no idea what software version he has but my guess is that it is what was shipped with the unit in Feb 2008. Will a firmware updated get him using the player again?
post #103 of 202 Old 01-06-2009, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferky1 View Post

My father was talked into the BDP S300 almost a year ago when he was upgrading his system. He has since stopped using it entirely because it was SO SLOW. Slow to load, slow to respond; just plain annoyingly slow. I have no idea what software version he has but my guess is that it is what was shipped with the unit in Feb 2008. Will a firmware updated get him using the player again?

If the original firmware from Feb 08 is on the player, 4.4 offers quiet a bit of optimization. So, yes it will be faster and more responsive.
post #104 of 202 Old 01-06-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:

4.4 resolves the issue with Serenity.

Thank you. It would be nice if when releasing new Blu-rays they would publish the firmwares needed. K.Kong comes out in 2 weeks, I hope I won't need to wait for 4.5.
post #105 of 202 Old 01-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are people really that impatient that they can't wait for a BD player to start-up and load a disc? I guess I just don't get it. Yes, my other BD players are "faster" to startup and load than the S300 but c'mon, its really not a big deal.

Anyway, rant over. To answer your question, updating the FW should provide a little bit of improvement but not too much. It's still a slow starter. As long as it plays discs, I am happy.
post #106 of 202 Old 01-06-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLTWS View Post

FLTWS,

That was exactly what my s300 was doing before I upgraded, with Donnie's help, to ver. 4.4. However, I was eventually able to get Serenity to play with ver. 4.3 by putting in a different disc first, having it load and begin to play, then ejecting it and replacing it with Serenity. Why that worked is anyone's guess.
post #107 of 202 Old 01-06-2009, 04:38 PM

Hi Donnie,
May I have a pm too, please? Mac person here with BDP-S300 At v3.2 and WALL-E Blu-ray disk is giving me problems.
Thanks!
post #108 of 202 Old 01-06-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadoGuy View Post

FLTWS,

That was exactly what my s300 was doing before I upgraded, with Donnie's help, to ver. 4.4. However, I was eventually able to get Serenity to play with ver. 4.3 by putting in a different disc first, having it load and begin to play, then ejecting it and replacing it with Serenity. Why that worked is anyone's guess.

LOL, I think your on to something. I got it to work by a slightly different ploy. Started to play The Omen first (maybe it's first disc specific???) but it was the same old thing. 5 minutes of everything up to what I suspect would have been just before the main menu and the 300S rebooted itself as it had been doing all along. But this time when it got back to the language choices screen with about 15 different choices, I picked Spanish this time, not that I understand it but hey, what the heck. Sure enough it went through the usual 2 or 3 more load screens, FBI warning screen, the commentary disclaimer, etc., etc. , and then ... I was suddenly ... on the main menu screen!!! I stared at it for a while not recognizing what it was at first. When I realized that this is where I had been trying to get to all along I couldn't stop laughing. I went into the settings and changed the language back to English. Then back to the main menu hit play and the move started playing? What the... And what was that early choose a language screen in the beginning for as once you actually attained the Main Menu all the languages were there again to choose from?

Insane.

I'll still install 4.4 when it arrives but now my hopes are up for K.K. with or without the new firmware. Someone should start a thread for Blu-ray "work around" tweaks. Best laugh I've had so far this week. Thank you CadoGuy.
post #109 of 202 Old 01-06-2009, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHoot View Post

Hi Donnie,
May I have a pm too, please? Mac person here with BDP-S300 At v3.2 and WALL-E Blu-ray disk is giving me problems.
Thanks!

PM sent
post #110 of 202 Old 01-06-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisjan View Post

Are people really that impatient that they can't wait for a BD player to start-up and load a disc? I guess I just don't get it. Yes, my other BD players are "faster" to startup and load than the S300 but c'mon, its really not a big deal.

Anyway, rant over. To answer your question, updating the FW should provide a little bit of improvement but not too much. It's still a slow starter. As long as it plays discs, I am happy.

I think if Blu - ray delivered a better picture & sound with the ease of use and perceptual speed of standard DVD's that most people are very use to, it wouldn't be such a big deal. The problem is Blu - ray only delivers on one of those three aspects of use and people were satisfied with the older, simpler, faster, cheaper technology, the success of the standard def format speaks for itself. And I think average users expect any new technologies that are more expensive to be not just better but easier and faster to use. Because when it comes to other new technology areas that's exactly how things go down.

I appreciate and will do what's needed for better picture and sound: firmware dances, accepting unelegant operational aspects (trying to skip through previews to get to the main menu, all the loading screens, ...), slow response to commands, etc., because I value the significant (in my opinion) improvement to the picture and sound which I get great enjoyment from, over and over. But I'm not so certain the average home movie watchers will take to it so readily. I hope I'm wrong because I want to see the same size catalogue of Hi-Def films that has been available for many years on standard def.

I also don't consider anybody that belongs to this or any other video/audio type forum to be average users of the technology. We're committed. In more ways than one, LOL.
post #111 of 202 Old 01-06-2009, 05:40 PM

I also have a mac and I need the software update, please help me. Thank you so much
post #112 of 202 Old 01-06-2009, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanzee02 View Post

I also have a mac and I need the software update, please help me. Thank you so much

YGPM, too.
post #113 of 202 Old 01-06-2009, 06:27 PM

Thanks for the help, Donnie. Successfully updated to 4.4. However, the Wall-e Blu-ray disk is still giving me problems - difficulty navigating menus and choppy playback. I'm connected to a Pioneer 5070 via component input rather than HDMI. Could this be my problem? Any Ideas?
post #114 of 202 Old 01-06-2009, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Try a hard reset on the player.
post #115 of 202 Old 01-06-2009, 07:39 PM

humm...no luck. Now it will not recognize any of my blu-ray disks. Still recognizes regular DVDs, though. Is it possible to downgrade the firmware using an older update/iso and the same procedures?
post #116 of 202 Old 01-06-2009, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHoot View Post

humm...no luck. Now it will not recognize any of my blu-ray disks. Still recognizes regular DVDs, though. Is it possible to downgrade the firmware using an older update/iso and the same procedures?

Unfortunately it is not possible to downgrade firmware. Is the player under warranty?
post #117 of 202 Old 01-07-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisjan View Post

My parents are very much average consumers in their willingness (or lack thereof) to spend more money on emerging technology. The blu-ray player was definitely a stretch for them and I fully understood their dismay at the load times. In their minds, all the new player did was act as a suped-up DVD with better picture and sound, so why should they pay a lot for the unit and more money for discs only to get significantly worse performance? Also, regarding impatience, try explaining the virtues of blu-ray and that long load times are worth it for a true 1080p signal to my 4 year old when he's banging his head on the table waiting for Cars to load. . . . .

I was wondering if some of you could test this for me: time the seconds/minutes/hours from power on to the earliest that a newly-inserted movie starts playing. I am interested in what other people are seeing. I plan on doing the same both before and after firmware upgrade.
post #118 of 202 Old 01-07-2009, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was wondering if some of you could test this for me: time the seconds/minutes/hours from power on to the earliest that a newly-inserted movie starts playing. I am interested in what other people are seeing. I plan on doing the same both before and after firmware upgrade.

There was a thread dedicated to this subject, but you'll need to use the search function to find it.

IMO, there isn't much if anything left to squeeze out of this player. Going forward it's all about compatibility and not speed.
post #119 of 202 Old 01-07-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:

...IMO, there isn't much if anything left to squeeze out of this player. Going forward it's all about compatibility and not speed.

I think your right on this. For me personally, as krisjan said:" As long as it plays discs, I am happy. " So it will just be a matter of getting firmware updates to watch the newest released movies and any accompanying supplemental interviews, making ofs, etc. I can live with the other shortcomings until I have to buy a new player. I have no interest in "digital copies" or "interactivity" and will not bother with either of these features, and I can't believe there's that much interest in any of that stuff even among the serious Hi-Def community.
post #120 of 202 Old 01-07-2009, 08:10 PM

Donnie, I could use a PM as well.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S300 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S300 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page