Panasonic BD-35/55 Firmware Update Available - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 385 Old 12-12-2008, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 67
If it will not read any disks it will not fix the problem. I would exchange your unit ASAP. It sounds like a bad disk loader.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 385 Old 12-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by milacqua View Post

BTW, when you clicked on the properties of the Pana_dvd.fr file does it show as a wordperfect 10 document?

I'm not a computer expert by any stretch of that definition, but that just doesn't sound right to me. My Pana_DVD file did not show as a Wordperfect document, and I'll bet that has something to do with your player being unable to read the file.
post #183 of 385 Old 12-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by moematthews View Post

I'm not a computer expert by any stretch of that definition, but that just doesn't sound right to me. My Pana_DVD file did not show as a Wordperfect document, and I'll bet that has something to do with your player being unable to read the file.

I did not think it was right either. I don't know what happened but when I click on the file it shows in properties across from the type of file - WordPerfect 10 file. I do not know how my computer gave it that designation but that is the problem.

shortspark
post #184 of 385 Old 12-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

If it will not read any disks it will not fix the problem. I would exchange your unit ASAP. It sounds like a bad disk loader.

I called Panasonic and they will pay to ship it back to them for repair/replacement. I called Amazon and they said they will pay for shipping back to them and replace with a new unit. I'll go with Amazon if I can't get the thing to work.

shortspark
post #185 of 385 Old 12-12-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milacqua View Post

I did not think it was right either. I don't know what happened but when I click on the file it shows in properties across from the type of file - WordPerfect 10 file. I do not know how my computer gave it that designation but that is the problem.

You can associate any file extension with any application. Doesn't mean that it will actually open with the application. Sounds like sometime in the past, .fmr files on your computer were associated incorrectly.

Thanks,
Spartacus_33

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #186 of 385 Old 12-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus_33 View Post

You can associate any file extension with any application. Doesn't mean that it will actually open with the application. Sounds like sometime in the past, .fmr files on your computer were associated incorrectly.

I'm sure you are correct. Something wrong with all this that is over my head. I'll just get a new 35, load the update from the disk Panasonic is sending me and be done with it. If I need updates in the future I'll just get them from Panasonic or just get a router and have the thing hooked up via earthnet.

shortspark
post #187 of 385 Old 12-12-2008, 02:14 PM

The FRM files were wordperfect for me.
I had to burn three coasters before I finally got one to take.
Is it possible for the correct file that someone has used to be emailed?
post #188 of 385 Old 12-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Add another to the list of those with problems trying to update by CD-R. I currently have FW v1.5. I burned the v1.6 FRM file exactly per the instructions provided by Panasonic using the right click "send to" function in Vista. The file is the correct size on disc and it does show the FRM extension on disc. When I insert the update disc, the player recognizes it, shuts down and restarts as it is suppose to... but then it simply ejects the CD-R after just a couple of seconds. The display shows "eject".

I've done half a dozen firmware updates via CD-R on other players (Toshiba, Samsung) but the Panny is the first to give me any difficulty. It seems Panasonic needs to create a FW update to fix the FW updates, or just fix there update instructions.

Sean
post #189 of 385 Old 12-13-2008, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Stash64. I think you missed one suggestion on burning. Many have reported issues using Vista to burn the file. If you own Nero or Roxio unzip the file and burn as a data disk. If you have access to an XP machine you can unzip the file and burn it directly to XP. The issue seems to be with Vista. The updates you have done with Toshiba and Samsung players have been ISO files. This file is a data file. Panasonic should let you know that there is an issue with using Vista to burn the file.
post #190 of 385 Old 12-13-2008, 06:54 AM

Liked: 11
I called Panasonic to send me a disc for the upgraded v1.6. They told me that v1.6 was not available on disc yet and that only v1.5 was available to be mailed. I decided to just download it myself to disc. I upgraded the BD35 yesterday and it works fine.
post #191 of 385 Old 12-13-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post

Add another to the list of those with problems trying to update by CD-R. I currently have FW v1.5. I burned the v1.6 FRM file exactly per the instructions provided by Panasonic using the right click "send to" function in Vista. The file is the correct size on disc and it does show the FRM extension on disc. When I insert the update disc, the player recognizes it, shuts down and restarts as it is suppose to... but then it simply ejects the CD-R after just a couple of seconds. The display shows "eject".

I've done half a dozen firmware updates via CD-R on other players (Toshiba, Samsung) but the Panny is the first to give me any difficulty. It seems Panasonic needs to create a FW update to fix the FW updates, or just fix there update instructions.

I had the same problem when burning update CD's with Vista, as stated above I had to use a CD burning program to get a working disc use data disc. None of the methods on JP or USA download sites worked with Vista. When I first built this computer and installed Vista it handled CDs just like XP. But than MS update installed Live File System and now Vista doesn't handle CD in the same way so problems with burning CDs. I first fund this when trying to burn pictures to a CD I made a lot of coasters before I found that I needed to change back to Mastered as Vista defaults to LFS. I would like to remove this as I do not like it but have been unable to find a way to do so. I would also like to remove Window Photo Gallery from Vista as I don't like either program but once MS adds something it becomes impossible to remove it.
post #192 of 385 Old 12-13-2008, 07:49 AM

So... anyone had trouble with the FW update using a live connection? I picked up a 25' cable from a buddy and was going to give it a go this weekend.

Thanks,
Spartacus_33

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #193 of 385 Old 12-13-2008, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus_33 View Post

So... anyone had trouble with the FW update using a live connection? I picked up a 25' cable from a buddy and was going to give it a go this weekend.

I had no problem updating to 1.5 but I can't get 1.6. I don't know why and won't worry about it until an update that actually does something appears.

All animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
post #194 of 385 Old 12-13-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Mathis View Post

I had no problem updating to 1.5 but I can't get 1.6. I don't know why and won't worry about it until an update that actually does something appears.

What exactly do you mean "can't get"? Is it not available live or does it not install?

Thanks,
Spartacus_33

post #195 of 385 Old 12-13-2008, 09:27 AM

Liked: 18
I updated mine to 1.6 through the LAN port with no problems. It first took about 8 minutes to download & then it goes through the update process. I won't update with discs anymore.
post #196 of 385 Old 12-13-2008, 09:29 AM

I just updated mine with a LAN connection as well. No problems. The device came with v 1.5. After performing the upgrade, I verified now v 1.6.

I disconnected my router and plugged directly into the modem. Unplugged the modem and then plugged back in (recommended by an IT buddy, to get a new IP address), plugged into the BD35 and followed these instructions.

Anyway...... worked great. Took less than 10 minutes.

Thanks,
Spartacus_33

post #197 of 385 Old 12-13-2008, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Re: .Frm files: Its NOT a WordPerfect file, though it may show up as such if you happen to have WP installed on your PC due to Windows file type associations. OTOH, if you have Visual Basic 6 installed on your PC (as I do) then a .FRM file will show up as a VB6 Form file. But it isn't. All that matters is that its a binary file that the BD35K sees as a firmware update and it should be burned to a disc as a data file.
post #198 of 385 Old 12-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

does anyone remember how to check the firmware verison on the Panny?

Hal
post #199 of 385 Old 12-13-2008, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by halsan40 View Post

does anyone remember how to check the firmware verison on the Panny?

Setup>Display>Status
Just a reminder if anyone goes the CD route:burn the FRM file as data on a CD-R and don't touch the player until it says FINISHED.
post #200 of 385 Old 12-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek View Post

Setup>Display>Status
Just a reminder if anyone goes the CD route:burn the FRM file as data on a CD-R and don't touch the player until it says FINISHED.

Thanks, I forgot the dispay part.
I have XP and I just dragged and dropped the .frm into the CDRW and it burned perfectly. Now I am on 1.6

Hal
post #201 of 385 Old 12-14-2008, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

Stash64. I think you missed one suggestion on burning. Many have reported issues using Vista to burn the file. If you own Nero or Roxio unzip the file and burn as a data disk. If you have access to an XP machine you can unzip the file and burn it directly to XP. The issue seems to be with Vista. The updates you have done with Toshiba and Samsung players have been ISO files. This file is a data file. Panasonic should let you know that there is an issue with using Vista to burn the file.

Yep... that did the trick. I burned it as a data disk using Roxio. Panasonic needs to update their burning instructions. Thanks.

Sean
post #202 of 385 Old 12-14-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:

Setup>Display>Status

Is there another way to check firmware version on a BD55? I don't see the status option above. Thanks.
post #203 of 385 Old 12-14-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randall View Post

Is there another way to check firmware version on a BD55? I don't see the status option above. Thanks.

You need to depress the Status button on the remote and it will show the firmware version on the bottom right side.
post #204 of 385 Old 12-14-2008, 12:26 PM

I thought I read earlier that one of the firmware upgrades allows the BD35 to play HD-DVDs. Can anyone else confirm this?

post #205 of 385 Old 12-14-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Lopez View Post

I thought I read earlier that one of the firmware upgrades allows the BD35 to play HD-DVDs. Can anyone else confirm this?

You are kidding right?
post #206 of 385 Old 12-14-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:

i think that same person also mentioned it playing 8-track tapes
post #207 of 385 Old 12-14-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcortese View Post

You need to depress the Status button on the remote and it will show the firmware version on the bottom right side.

Thanks jpcortese, I was just about to edit my post after figuring out the sequence was Setup>Display>Status button on the remote.
post #208 of 385 Old 12-14-2008, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there an ISO file available? Or are there no mac users using blu-ray besides me?:-)

Tim
post #209 of 385 Old 12-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Location: Living among the children of the corn in Oxford, (S.E.), PA.
Quote:

No.

"The Bundys' proud name was built on a philosophy of lying. Well, lying, owing money and perhaps beer. Yes, lying, owing money and beer. The only thing that separates us from the Kennedys is that they have money." - Al Bundy
post #210 of 385 Old 12-14-2008, 02:29 PM

FWIW, I did the version 1.6 update last night on my BD-35. I downloaded the firmware file on my Windows XP computer, it unzipped and showed as a Word Perfect document. Burned it to a CD-R as a data disc, using Roxio CD Easy Creator. Put it in the player, everything updated fine with no problems on the first try. Guess this is an affirmation that using XP is solid, do the burn as a data disc, and don't worry if the file shows as a Word Perfect document.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd35k 1080p Blu Ray Player , Yamaha Rx V663 Receiver
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page