The SONY BDP-S5000ES Owner's Thread - Page 69 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2041 of 2418 Old 06-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Member
 
hoganj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

Hello Franin.

I have a question for you about the S5000ES. Does it decode DTS-HD/MA, convert to PCM and send via HDMI to a non DTS-HD/MA decoding pre-pro or AVR? If not, has Sony created a firmware update to allow the 5000 to do so?

Thanks Buddy.

Let's look at this again. In the Sony S5000ES manual, on p70 in my copy, it says:
-When the AV amplifier (receiver) does not support HD Audio...but supports Multi-ch LPCM, LPCM is output.
The setup for this is:
Audio Output Priority: HDMI
Audio (HDMI): Auto
BD Audio Setting: Direct

With a DTS-HD-MA disc, if your receiver cannot decode DTS HD-MA, but can accept LPCM, the S5000ES will automatically decode the DTS HD-MA soundtrack to LPCM and send LPCM to your receiver.

John
LL
LL
hoganj1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2042 of 2418 Old 06-10-2011, 09:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoganj1 View Post


Let's look at this again. In the Sony S5000ES manual, on p70 in my copy, it says:
-When the AV amplifier (receiver) does not support HD Audio...but supports Multi-ch LPCM, LPCM is output.
The setup for this is:
Audio Output Priority: HDMI
Audio (HDMI): Auto
BD Audio Setting: Direct

With a DTS-HD-MA disc, if your receiver cannot decode DTS HD-MA, but can accept LPCM, the S5000ES will automatically decode the DTS HD-MA soundtrack to LPCM and send LPCM to your receiver.

John

Here is a workable link.
http://www.televisions.com/players/s...-S-5000-ES.php

Under why we grumbled they mention

Imperfections in DVD de-interlacing.
No decoding of DTS-HD into PCM via HDMI.
No MP3 playback.

_________________________

Frank

Franin is online now  
post #2043 of 2418 Old 06-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Member
 
hoganj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Here is a workable link.
http://www.televisions.com/players/s...-S-5000-ES.php

Under why we grumbled they mention

Imperfections in DVD de-interlacing.
No decoding of DTS-HD into PCM via HDMI.
No MP3 playback.

The only thing I can guess is that they wanted, for whatever reason, to decode DTS HD-MA to PCM and deliver via HDMI to a device that has built-in DTS HD-MA decoding. That doesn't really seem like a shortcoming to me, but maybe it does to the reviewer.

They are NOT talking about DTS HD-MA to PCM via HDMI to a device that is unable to decode DTS HD-MA, but is able to play PCM, because the Sony manual is very clear that the S5000ES does that.

John
hoganj1 is offline  
post #2044 of 2418 Old 06-10-2011, 10:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoganj1 View Post


The only thing I can guess is that they wanted, for whatever reason, to decode DTS HD-MA to PCM and deliver via HDMI to a device that has built-in DTS HD-MA decoding. That doesn't really seem like a shortcoming to me, but maybe it does to the reviewer.

They are NOT talking about DTS HD-MA to PCM via HDMI to a device that is unable to decode DTS HD-MA, but is able to play PCM, because the Sony manual is very clear that the S5000ES does that.

John

Well then I was right the first time.!!

_________________________

Frank

Franin is online now  
post #2045 of 2418 Old 06-10-2011, 10:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoganj1 View Post


The only thing I can guess is that they wanted, for whatever reason, to decode DTS HD-MA to PCM and deliver via HDMI to a device that has built-in DTS HD-MA decoding. That doesn't really seem like a shortcoming to me, but maybe it does to the reviewer.

They are NOT talking about DTS HD-MA to PCM via HDMI to a device that is unable to decode DTS HD-MA, but is able to play PCM, because the Sony manual is very clear that the S5000ES does that.

John

Well then I was right the first time.!!

_________________________

Frank

Franin is online now  
post #2046 of 2418 Old 06-11-2011, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ldgibson76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoganj1 View Post

The only thing I can guess is that they wanted, for whatever reason, to decode DTS HD-MA to PCM and deliver via HDMI to a device that has built-in DTS HD-MA decoding. That doesn't really seem like a shortcoming to me, but maybe it does to the reviewer.

They are NOT talking about DTS HD-MA to PCM via HDMI to a device that is unable to decode DTS HD-MA, but is able to play PCM, because the Sony manual is very clear that the S5000ES does that.

John


Hello Hoganj1.

Thank you for the clarification.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76
 
The Setup
ldgibson76 is offline  
post #2047 of 2418 Old 06-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Member
 
phish00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fair Lawn N.J.
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys i just bought this player from a friend at the wood burry outlits they had for $424 I sold my s1000 and I'm so glad I did this player is everything I want and more the sound and picture are such a huge difference it's money well spent even thought I paid $50 for it. But there is no better player on the market espically for sound I had the n460 and then the s1000 and this lives up to everything that I heard and scene I would recommend this player to anyone that just wants the best sound and picture for there home theater experience so far I watched Faster, Pirates of the Caribbean, Pearl Harbor and Swordfish all played great so far and I'm watching them on a Sony 55nx810
phish00 is offline  
post #2048 of 2418 Old 06-13-2011, 06:13 AM
Newbie
 
willwiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I *think* what the reviewer was saying is that 7.1 DTS-HD cannot be passed, only 5.1 can be passed. The workaround would be to use analogs out if you need 7.1. If i recall properly, this is a limitation of HDMI.
willwiser is offline  
post #2049 of 2418 Old 06-13-2011, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by willwiser View Post

I *think* what the reviewer was saying is that 7.1 DTS-HD cannot be passed, only 5.1 can be passed. The workaround would be to use analogs out if you need 7.1. If i recall properly, this is a limitation of HDMI.

That is not true. There is no such limitation.
bommai is offline  
post #2050 of 2418 Old 06-13-2011, 09:43 AM
Member
 
phish00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fair Lawn N.J.
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am using a Sony Strda4400ES receiver at first I it had problems reading DTS HD movies but you have to go into setting and change the audio to direct so you can get once I did I have had no problems with the sound.
phish00 is offline  
post #2051 of 2418 Old 06-23-2011, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ldgibson76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoganj1 View Post

The only thing I can guess is that they wanted, for whatever reason, to decode DTS HD-MA to PCM and deliver via HDMI to a device that has built-in DTS HD-MA decoding. That doesn't really seem like a shortcoming to me, but maybe it does to the reviewer.

They are NOT talking about DTS HD-MA to PCM via HDMI to a device that is unable to decode DTS HD-MA, but is able to play PCM, because the Sony manual is very clear that the S5000ES does that.

John

Hello Again hoganJ1.

I can confirm that S5000ES does send LPCM via HDMI. I watched "Killers" which is DTS-HD/MA 7.1 and when I pressed the "AUDIO" button for the 5000ES to display the current audio signal, a window with "DTS-HD/MA 7.1 @ 48kHz appeared at the top of the screen. My HDMI 1.1, Non-decoding Hi-Rez audio Rotel processor's display read "MULTI-CHANNEL PCM" L R C SL SR SW CB1, (I have a 6.1 speaker array). So I am experiencing Hi-Rez decoded by the 5000ES.

Thanks again for the clarification and insight.

Thanks again for your

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76
 
The Setup
ldgibson76 is offline  
post #2052 of 2418 Old 06-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Member
 
hoganj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

Hello Again hoganJ1.

I can confirm that S5000ES does send LPCM via HDMI. I watched "Killers" which is DTS-HD/MA 7.1 and when I pressed the "AUDIO" button for the 5000ES to display the current audio signal, a window with "DTS-HD/MA 7.1 @ 48kHz appeared at the top of the screen. My HDMI 1.1, Non-decoding Hi-Rez audio Rotel processor's display read "MULTI-CHANNEL PCM" L R C SL SR SW CB1, (I have a 6.1 speaker array). So I am experiencing Hi-Rez decoded by the 5000ES.

Thanks again for the clarification and insight.

Thanks again for your

Thanks for the feedback. I never tested it because my Pioneer SC-27 receiver decodes DTS-HD/MA internally, so the S5000ES automatic setting sensed that and only bitstreams the encoded audio.

Cool that it works out well for us both.

John
hoganj1 is offline  
post #2053 of 2418 Old 06-24-2011, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I bought the s5000es because I wanted to use the analog for bluray. I have just ordered a NAD T775HD which has both analog and hdmi inputs. Wondering if hdmi will be better since the NAD is supposed to have really good DACs. If this is true may be I will just sell off my Sony and get an oppo 93 or something cheap.
bommai is offline  
post #2054 of 2418 Old 06-24-2011, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
pwiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 812
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

I bought the s5000es because I wanted to use the analog for bluray. I have just ordered a NAD T775HD which has both analog and hdmi inputs. Wondering if hdmi will be better since the NAD is supposed to have really good DACs. If this is true may be I will just sell off my Sony and get an oppo 93 or something cheap.

I actually went a different direction with my receiver because of the 5000ES. I decided to see if a Sherwood Newcastle R-965 would come close to matching the HK AVR7200 that I have. I found a mint R-965 on Craigslist for $295 and I am extremely pleased with its performance. http://www.hometheater.com/content/s...-labs-measures. I will be putting the HK on Craigslist. I have noticed many pre-HDMI flagships on Craigslist lately going for sometimes several thousand below their original asking price and matching one of those up with a player like the Sony makes for a very good sounding combination.
pwiss is offline  
post #2055 of 2418 Old 06-24-2011, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post

I actually went a different direction with my receiver because of the 5000ES. I decided to see if a Sherwood Newcastle R-965 would come close to matching the HK AVR7200 that I have. I found a mint R-965 on Craigslist for $295 and I am extremely pleased with its performance. http://www.hometheater.com/content/s...-labs-measures. I will be putting the HK on Craigslist. I have noticed many pre-HDMI flagships on Craigslist lately going for sometimes several thousand below their original asking price and matching one of those up with a player like the Sony makes for a very good sounding combination.

I went the same way you did and even further back!! I think we had conversed before. I had a HK AVR 745 with HDMI 1.1 (PCM 5.1 only) and I used a PS3 as my Bluray player. But I had to deal with a HDMI splitter for getting 1080p24 to my projector, etc. Then I bought the S5000 on the AVS sale. Then I decided to try a NAD receiver. Got the NAD T747 and returned it. Then got a used NAD T763 (pre-HDMI) for just $242 on craigslist. Sounds great. I am using 5.1 analog from the S5000. I was missing SACD from my gen 1 PS3 because I will need HDMI for that. Then I guess upgraditis bit me. The NAD T775HD (used to be $3000) was on clearance sale for $1299 and I pounced on it after it sold out at Audio Advisor and then I found it at Saturday Audio in Chicago. I will be getting it on Tuesday.

I bought it primarily for Audyssey MultiEQ XT with custom NAD response curves. It also has 4 HDMI 1.3 inputs with video pass through and 7.1 audio support with a variety of lossless and lossy formats. Still, $1299 is not chump change and I already have reservations - but it is already on its way. I feel like I am doing a disservice to the T763 which sounds great albeit being from 2004-2006 era. It also has jumpers from Pre-outs to Main-ins and can be used as a pre-amp or a power amp!!

Coming back to the T775HD - audyssey XT works only on digital inputs not multi channel analog. So I will be using the HDMI for Bluray - then I guess the S5000 loses a big advantage! Now I am wondering if I should sell it off and get something else that does SACD/DVD-Audio also like the Oppo 93 and use HDMI.

But several of you said the audio/video through Sony is better than the Oppo. I wish I could just demo it in my home.
bommai is offline  
post #2056 of 2418 Old 06-24-2011, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
pwiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 812
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post


I went the same way you did and even further back!! I think we had conversed before. I had a HK AVR 745 with HDMI 1.1 (PCM 5.1 only) and I used a PS3 as my Bluray player. But I had to deal with a HDMI splitter for getting 1080p24 to my projector, etc. Then I bought the S5000 on the AVS sale. Then I decided to try a NAD receiver. Got the NAD T747 and returned it. Then got a used NAD T763 (pre-HDMI) for just $242 on craigslist. Sounds great. I am using 5.1 analog from the S5000. I was missing SACD from my gen 1 PS3 because I will need HDMI for that. Then I guess upgraditis bit me. The NAD T775HD (used to be $3000) was on clearance sale for $1299 and I pounced on it after it sold out at Audio Advisor and then I found it at Saturday Audio in Chicago. I will be getting it on Tuesday.

I bought it primarily for Audyssey MultiEQ XT with custom NAD response curves. It also has 4 HDMI 1.3 inputs with video pass through and 7.1 audio support with a variety of lossless and lossy formats. Still, $1299 is not chump change and I already have reservations - but it is already on its way. I feel like I am doing a disservice to the T763 which sounds great albeit being from 2004-2006 era. It also has jumpers from Pre-outs to Main-ins and can be used as a pre-amp or a power amp!!

Coming back to the T775HD - audyssey XT works only on digital inputs not multi channel analog. So I will be using the HDMI for Bluray - then I guess the S5000 loses a big advantage! Now I am wondering if I should sell it off and get something else that does SACD/DVD-Audio also like the Oppo 93 and use HDMI.

But several of you said the audio/video through Sony is better than the Oppo. I wish I could just demo it in my home.

The 775 is one helluva great receiver. The Audyssey will make a good sized difference in overall sound quality. If SACD and DVD Audio are also useful in your setup then that could be the deciding factor in selling the 5000 and getting a 93. If finances allow I would think the 775 and the 93 would be a great combo that is hard to beat.
pwiss is offline  
post #2057 of 2418 Old 06-24-2011, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post

The 775 is one helluva great receiver. The Audyssey will make a good sized difference in overall sound quality. If SACD and DVD Audio are also useful in your setup then that could be the deciding factor in selling the 5000 and getting a 93. If finances allow I would think the 775 and the 93 would be a great combo that is hard to beat.

I noticed that even now the Sony goes for a good price on ebay. Wondering if I should sell it and get the oppo 93 or just use the Gen1 PS3 for SACD and Sony for bluray.
bommai is offline  
post #2058 of 2418 Old 06-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
pwiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 812
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post


I noticed that even now the Sony goes for a good price on ebay. Wondering if I should sell it and get the oppo 93 or just use the Gen1 PS3 for SACD and Sony for bluray.

I can play several of my DVD Audio discs (as I used to have a DVD Audio player) with other 5.1 options on the discs that sound really good. The 93 would have faster load times but other than that keeping the Sony is definitely a good option. The 5 year warranty with the Sony is definitely a huge plus.
pwiss is offline  
post #2059 of 2418 Old 08-20-2011, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The Sony BDP-S5000ES is such an underrated product that its a shame that no one has evaluated it properly except What Hi Fi, and you still cannot find the entire review they did to this day. I recently purchased the Oppo BDP-95 in order to replace my BDP-S5000ES because it did not have SACD capabilities and I wanted to have SACD as well as True Dolby HD, and DTS-MA through their analog outs. My Arcam HDMI does not play sound through HDMI so having only 1 set of 7.1 inputs I wanted a blu-ray that played all formats which is the reason for purchasing the Oppo BDP-95. While the Oppo BDP-95 was an excellent blu-ray player that is exremely well engineered, its analog outs simply does not come even close to the sound of the analog outs of the Sony BDP-S5000ES for regular DD, DTS and True Dolby HD and DTS-MA. In fact the S5000ES sounds better than my Arcam AV9 on legacy DD and DTS. There is a clarity and dynamic impact on the Sony that the Oppo simply cannot duplicate and it was immediately noticable when I substituted it for the Sony. I have since returned the Oppo, but I have to say that Oppo is a great company, and overall, it is a much better blu-ray player in every respect except for analog sound. So impressed was I with the S5000ES, that I have since purchased another one for my bed room system from The Sound Seller at a ridiculously low price. I think the S5000Es is better suited for high end separates rather than receivers as its sounds competes with separates. If you are in the need to receive DTS-MA and Dolby Digital HD through the analog inputs of your receiver or precessor, I would strongly recommend the purchase of the S5000ES from the Sound Seller before its inventory is depleted as Sony will never make a high end product of this caliber. This unit did not sell but you have to blame Sony because it was never properly marketed, and on top of that, all of the major American publications, never reviewed it properly and never concentrated on its analog outs which is the biggest selling point for this product.
gbaby is offline  
post #2060 of 2418 Old 08-20-2011, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RWetmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brick, New Jersey
Posts: 3,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 43
It didn't sell because it was overpriced. $2000 MSRP was far too much, as great player as it is.
RWetmore is offline  
post #2061 of 2418 Old 08-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
pwiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 812
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Personally I am glad it didn't sell well at their initial asking price. I was able to pick it up at the AVS fire sale price of $349 as a result. As my Sherwood Newcastle R965 doesn't have HDMI I wanted a player with high quality analog outs. Even if the Oppo 95 did sound better through analog I highly doubt it sounds $650 better.
pwiss is offline  
post #2062 of 2418 Old 08-20-2011, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

It didn't sell because it was overpriced. $2000 MSRP was far too much, as great player as it is.

Put it like this, it puts my $6,700.00 Arcam AV9 to shame. I hope this puts it in perpective.
gbaby is offline  
post #2063 of 2418 Old 08-20-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post

Personally I am glad it didn't sell well at their initial asking price. I was able to pick it up at the AVS fire sale price of $349 as a result. As my Sherwood Newcastle R965 doesn't have HDMI I wanted a player with high quality analog outs. Even if the Oppo 95 did sound better through analog I highly doubt it sounds $650 better.

I hope you don't get arrested for larceny. You got a great deal and if the analog inputs of your Sherwood are clean, it will be a while before you will need an upgrade for sound.
gbaby is offline  
post #2064 of 2418 Old 08-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
pwiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 812
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

I hope you don't get arrested for larceny. You got a great deal and if the analog inputs of your Sherwood are clean, it will be a while before you will need an upgrade for sound.

I got a screaming deal on the Sherwood off Craigslist and it replaced a Harman Kardon AVR7200 in my multimedia haven. The HK was no slouch in providing clean and powerful sound but the Sherwood has taken the sound in my setup to a new level. The fact that is was rated at 155.7 watts into 5 channels and 126 into 7 channels doesn't hurt. http://www.hometheater.com/content/s...-labs-measures
pwiss is offline  
post #2065 of 2418 Old 08-20-2011, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post

I got a screaming deal on my Sherwood off Craigslist and it replaced my Harman Kardon AVR7200 in my set up. The HK was no slouch in providing clean and powerful sound but the Sherwood has taken the sound in my setup to a new level. The fact that is was rated at 155.7 watts into 5 channels and 126 into 7 channels doesn't hurt. http://www.hometheater.com/content/s...-labs-measures

Are you using the 5000ES analog outputs to the Sherwood, and if so, how does it sound?
gbaby is offline  
post #2066 of 2418 Old 08-20-2011, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
After using a PS3 (Gen1) with HDMI to a HK 745 (1080i only) for 4 years, I got the upgrade bug earlier this year and got the Sony S5000ES and I kinda back graded (if that is even a word!!) to a NAD T763. Multi channel analog to the NAD (got it for $242 on craigslist). Everything was great. I got the upgrade bug again (because I wanted Audyssey room correction). I spent another $1300 and got the NAD T775HD. It works great but I am using HDMI out of the Sony and not the analog out. Analog out won't work with Audyssey. Oh well. The 775HD does sound better than the T763. I will confirm that with some A/B testing though. I have both right now!
bommai is offline  
post #2067 of 2418 Old 08-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
pwiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 812
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

Are you using the 5000ES analog outputs to the Sherwood, and if so, how does it sound?

Most definitely. As for how it sounds I would call it clean, powerful, open and non-fatiguing. I can play to very loud levels and still have headroom to spare. After getting the 5000es I figured my money was better spent getting a hugely discounted previous Flagship model with excellent build quality that weighs over 50lbs. vs paying a lot more to get a current HDMI receiver that weighs 30 lbs. with all the bells and whistles that I really don't need.
pwiss is offline  
post #2068 of 2418 Old 08-21-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post

Most definitely. As for how it sounds I would call it clean, powerful, open and non-fatiguing. I can play to very loud levels and still have headroom to spare.

What you have described is exactly what I am talking about when I say this product is underrated, and I don't believe expensive processors can sound any better. So good is the S5000ES sound over its analog outputs, that when I purchased the Oppp BDP-95, I simply could not stand the sound of movies through it as it did not have that "clean, powerful, open and non-fatiguing" sound you so accurately described as the sonic trait of the S5000ES. Just read some reviews on the S5000ES, and it and you will find out that all of the reviewers failed to comment on its analog outs which may have contributed to this item not selling as it should have sold. Happy listening!
gbaby is offline  
post #2069 of 2418 Old 08-21-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

After using a PS3 (Gen1) with HDMI to a HK 745 (1080i only) for 4 years, I got the upgrade bug earlier this year and got the Sony S5000ES and I kinda back graded (if that is even a word!!) to a NAD T763. Multi channel analog to the NAD (got it for $242 on craigslist). Everything was great. I got the upgrade bug again (because I wanted Audyssey room correction). I spent another $1300 and got the NAD T775HD. It works great but I am using HDMI out of the Sony and not the analog out. Analog out won't work with Audyssey. Oh well. The 775HD does sound better than the T763. I will confirm that with some A/B testing though. I have both right now!

If you have a clean analog pass through, the S5000ES will beat the Audyssey for sound any day. I have found that processing the sound truncates the details, and the best way to flatten the frequency response if proper speaker placement, bass management and room treatment if necessary. Once you get use to the clarity and the dynamic sound of the S5000ES, you will miss it once its gone.
gbaby is offline  
post #2070 of 2418 Old 08-21-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bakerwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Peach State
Posts: 2,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

The Sony BDP-S5000ES is such an underrated product that its a shame that no one has evaluated it properly except What Hi Fi, and you still cannot find the entire review they did to this day. I recently purchased the Oppo BDP-95 in order to replace my BDP-S5000ES because it did not have SACD capabilities and I wanted to have SACD as well as True Dolby HD, and DTS-MA through their analog outs. My Arcam HDMI does not play sound through HDMI so having only 1 set of 7.1 inputs I wanted a blu-ray that played all formats which is the reason for purchasing the Oppo BDP-95. While the Oppo BDP-95 was an excellent blu-ray player that is exremely well engineered, its analog outs simply does not come even close to the sound of the analog outs of the Sony BDP-S5000ES for regular DD, DTS and True Dolby HD and DTS-MA. In fact the S5000ES sounds better than my Arcam AV9 on legacy DD and DTS. There is a clarity and dynamic impact on the Sony that the Oppo simply cannot duplicate and it was immediately noticable when I substituted it for the Sony. I have since returned the Oppo, but I have to say that Oppo is a great company, and overall, it is a much better blu-ray player in every respect except for analog sound. So impressed was I with the S5000ES, that I have since purchased another one for my bed room system from The Sound Seller at a ridiculously low price. I think the S5000Es is better suited for high end separates rather than receivers as its sounds competes with separates. If you are in the need to receive DTS-MA and Dolby Digital HD through the analog inputs of your receiver or precessor, I would strongly recommend the purchase of the S5000ES from the Sound Seller before its inventory is depleted as Sony will never make a high end product of this caliber. This unit did not sell but you have to blame Sony because it was never properly marketed, and on top of that, all of the major American publications, never reviewed it properly and never concentrated on its analog outs which is the biggest selling point for this product.

gbaby,

That is a pretty good price over at the The Sound Seller. Also, what do you mean by the 5000 was not properly reviewed? Last, you forgot to preference your comments by "in my setup".


Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

bakerwi is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Denon Dvd 3800bdci Blu Ray Disc Dvd Cd Player , Denon , Sony
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off