The SONY BDP-S5000ES Owner's Thread - Page 82 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-13-2015, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
so now with the release of the 'uhd' blu-ray spec…here is the chance to refresh this awesome machine with blu-ray UHD and SACD capability….bringing across the balanced XLR outputs of the 5400es and sony would make for a killer sell out success in a player…bringing them yet again on the fore front of disc replay
I doubt that will happen. I spoke with a Sony rep at CES and asked them when they will have a sucessor to the 5000ES. The rep said they lost so much money on the player that a successor will not be forthcoming.

Samsung PN64F8500: Oppo 105D; Onkyo TX-SR805; Polk LSI x 5; SVS SB-13 Ultra; Kimber Kable 12TC Speaker Cable; Monnster Cable Speaker Cable; Shunyata Research Aries interconnects; Monster Cable 700 , 1000 HDX, and M Series HDMI Cables; John 3:16;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2015, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubusduck View Post
I doubt that will happen. I spoke with a Sony rep at CES and asked them when they will have a sucessor to the 5000ES. The rep said they lost so much money on the player that a successor will not be forthcoming.
they lost money…likely because it was sold sooooo late in the piece and then it wasn't 3D capable so surprise surprise if they lost money on it !

if they were smart about it…they already have a platform they'd bring out their 5000ES UHD right of the bat on launch of the format…will sell a ton of them.

I paid a pretty penny for a BDPs1e sony blu-ray player at the launch of the blu-ray format….teh player wasn't even a sony it was a pioneer cousin.

something tells me sony has long since lost their way as a company though…they couldn't make a player on their own on the launch of the blu-ray format…quite likely they won't be able to cobble a UHD player together come later in the year. or it will be in the style of the throwaway supermarket machines they make these days ….

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
Old 05-14-2015, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
they lost money…likely because it was sold sooooo late in the piece and then it wasn't 3D capable so surprise surprise if they lost money on it !

if they were smart about it…they already have a platform they'd bring out their 5000ES UHD right of the bat on launch of the format…will sell a ton of them.

I paid a pretty penny for a BDPs1e sony blu-ray player at the launch of the blu-ray format….teh player wasn't even a sony it was a pioneer cousin.

something tells me sony has long since lost their way as a company though…they couldn't make a player on their own on the launch of the blu-ray format…quite likely they won't be able to cobble a UHD player together come later in the year. or it will be in the style of the throwaway supermarket machines they make these days ….
With all the bleeding going on at Sony, I doubt they will come out of the blocks with an upscale UHD player. Their upscale stuff seems to be catering to the hi-rez audiophile. I'm not into hi-rez/computer audio. CD and bluray discs are good enough for me.

I for one would not buy a 5000ES UHD player out of the blocks. The new UHD player spec does not include 3D. I happen to like 3D and hope that successive generations of UHD players will have 3D. In addition, I will wait until all the kinks are worked out on the UHD format before buying a UHD player. The 5000ES was not a first gen player which is why I bought it thinking it would be my last disc player. Unfortunately, Sony could care less if the player would not play some discs and would not issue firmware updates to fix disc compatibility issues which sort of ticked me off since I spent a pretty penny on their top of the line player. Sort of sucks to want to watch Kung Fu Panda or The Longest Day and not be able to.

While the 5000ES bluray player was nicely built and produced a wonderful picture, its disc load time became a pain, would not play 3D, would not play a couple of the discs in my libaray, and did not have SACD capability. I only got an Oppo because of 3D, disc incompatibility, and SACD capability, plus I wanted good build quality and good analog audio. However, I watch mostly movies through HDMI and my Onkyo receiver is not up to the sonic quality that the separates I've had in the past, so my next player will be a plain jane uhd player with no need for a good analog output stage. I'm not going to spend the big bucks on a fancy audiophile UHD player if they come to the market. At least that is my current thinking.

Samsung PN64F8500: Oppo 105D; Onkyo TX-SR805; Polk LSI x 5; SVS SB-13 Ultra; Kimber Kable 12TC Speaker Cable; Monnster Cable Speaker Cable; Shunyata Research Aries interconnects; Monster Cable 700 , 1000 HDX, and M Series HDMI Cables; John 3:16;
Old 05-14-2015, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 134
oh yeah this just a distinction between those whom buy cheapy entry level players and those wanting a bit more in a solid top line unit with full capabilities...its why the oppo 95/105 are so popular. there is a market for it

but yeah also sure there will be plenty am sure in the initial stop will buy a cheap initially to add the capability but am sure will still be looking for a player that does both

just depends where sony wants to play ...in a market place of flagships like the 5000es was or in the entry level cheapies...and look dont forget likely they are putting their heft behind a uhd ps4 instead....

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)

Tags
Sony Bdp S500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Denon Dvd 3800bdci Blu Ray Disc Dvd Cd Player , Denon , Sony