The SONY BDP-S5000ES Owner's Thread - Page 83 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #2461 of 2466 Old 01-28-2017, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Thumbs up New DTS Mode Not in the Manual for Yamaha 3060 AVR, may also apply for 3050 series.

I have a 6 yr old Sony bdps5000es bluray player hooked to my 3060 via hdmi. No matter how I configured the Sony, the avr would display PCM when I was playing DTS HD. Finally found a solution via Google that said theie was a NEW. DTS Mode Option in the Advanced menu on the front control panel of the Yamaha 3060 AVR. This new Option is the next option after the 4K Mode Option. The Default DTS Mode = 1 and you should change it to DTS Mode = 2. For older bluray players that are not
having DTS HD or DTS X decoded properly by the 3060. This problem was caused by the DTS x firmware update last year that enabled Atmos.

I changed the DTS Mode to 2 and now the 3060 displays DTS HD properly.

Here is the link:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...3&d=1472325292

Last edited by Zuppe; 01-28-2017 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 2466 Old 04-29-2017, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Menu Display problem with BDP S5000es

Hello,

I don't often post on here but am hoping for a little guidance. I recently purchased a Sony Str Za3100es receiver to replace a DA5700es. I've hooked up my S5000 to it and while does play and display movies, I'm not able to have the menu display on screen. When I hookup the player directly to the television it does work. Just thinking that there is an HDCP miscommunication? Is there a way to work around this?

Thanks in advance!
post #2463 of 2466 Old 04-29-2017, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkstech View Post
Hello,

I don't often post on here but am hoping for a little guidance. I recently purchased a Sony Str Za3100es receiver to replace a DA5700es. I've hooked up my S5000 to it and while does play and display movies, I'm not able to have the menu display on screen. When I hookup the player directly to the television it does work. Just thinking that there is an HDCP miscommunication? Is there a way to work around this?

Thanks in advance!
As I recall, these types of issues are often related to the sequence of turning on equipment to ensure a proper handshake takes place. You are using strictly hdmi connections, right? Player to receiver to TV. I'm assuming the TV displays other sources from the receiver ok (ie. the handshake problem isn't between the receiver and the TV). Basically, try forcing a new handshake between the player and the receiver. With the receiver, BD player & TV on: try switching the input source on the receiver to a different device, and once the picture is on the TV from that other device, switch the receiver input selector back to your S5000es. Another method I've seen advocated says with your receiver set to the S5000 as input, shut the S5000 off - wait a bit - then turn it back on. I expect either of these actions should force a fresh handshake. If none of that works, double check your hdmi cable connections between the player and the receiver.

A long-time audio/video addict!

post #2464 of 2466 Old 04-30-2017, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
As I recall, these types of issues are often related to the sequence of turning on equipment to ensure a proper handshake takes place. You are using strictly hdmi connections, right? Player to receiver to TV. I'm assuming the TV displays other sources from the receiver ok (ie. the handshake problem isn't between the receiver and the TV). Basically, try forcing a new handshake between the player and the receiver. With the receiver, BD player & TV on: try switching the input source on the receiver to a different device, and once the picture is on the TV from that other device, switch the receiver input selector back to your S5000es. Another method I've seen advocated says with your receiver set to the S5000 as input, shut the S5000 off - wait a bit - then turn it back on. I expect either of these actions should force a fresh handshake. If none of that works, double check your hdmi cable connections between the player and the receiver.

Thanks for your input. In the process of trying the method mentioned by you, I discovered that it was the HDMI Cable to the television that was causing the issue. I replaced it with a plain ordinary HDMI cable and everything started to work as normal. I would imagine that the cable being replaced was still good since all other video inputs displayed properly. For some reason only the S5000es was being effected. Maybe there was an HDCP handshake issue with style cable?

The cable that was replaced was one purchased from Monoprice.com with a redmere chip to adjust for wire thickness and length.

I love the the BDP S5000ES and do not want to give it up for some of the newer flimsy Sony blu ray players. I would only make that change if Sony made a real successor to the 5000es.

Thanks for your help!
post #2465 of 2466 Old 04-30-2017, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
I'm glad you were able to solve the problem. The Sony BDP-S5000es is truly a world class top quality player.
My primary player is still its little sibling from the same vintage . . the Sony BDP-S1000es. It is also well built and works great. It includes multi-channel audio outputs, but not the world class digital<>analog output circuitry of the S5000es (which doesn't matter to me since I use it strictly for blu-rays in hdmi mode).

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #2466 of 2466 Old 04-30-2017, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
^^^ Even though my 5000es was succeeded by an OPPO 103D for BD playback, it is (and always will) have a place in my rack for DVD/CD playback. It really does represent the end of an era (the transition between a true high-end player and the flimsy pieces of plastic that Sony now makes), and is the absolute best $350 I have ever spent for my HT...
joerod and Rich86 like this.

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Denon Dvd 3800bdci Blu Ray Disc Dvd Cd Player , Denon , Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page