television with built in blu ray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-17-2008, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to buy a 32 inch tv with a built in blu ray player and a qam tuner. Does something like that exist? It would be a tv that only gets basic cable (20 standard channels and 7 HDTV channels) and I thought it would be great to mount an all in one unit above the fireplace. I don't need anything real high end, but hopefully something that's not a piece of junk either. I'd rather not pay for a blu ray burner either, just a player.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider12 View Post

I'm looking to buy a 32 inch tv with a built in blu ray player and a qam tuner. Does something like that exist? It would be a tv that only gets basic cable (20 standard channels and 7 HDTV channels) and I thought it would be great to mount an all in one unit above the fireplace. I don't need anything real high end, but hopefully something that's not a piece of junk either. I'd rather not pay for a blu ray burner either, just a player.
Thanks.

Not that I know of.

A couple comments. 1) I would not want to combine a TV with a Blu-ray player since if either fails or becomes obsolete, then you have to replace both. As you may know, Blu-ray players in particular are still a "work in progress."

2) I would not mount a TV above a fireplace. Heat is a bad thing for electronics and more than likely it would be way to high for comfortable viewing. Remember, to reduce neck strain, a TV should be at eye level while in your normal viewing position.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-18-2008, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

I don't think any manufacture is going to bother combining a BD player with a small 32" TV. You're not going to see a difference.
post #4 of 12 Old 11-18-2008, 08:49 AM

If money isn't an issue, the Bang & Olufsen BeoVision 7, available in both 32" and 40" screen sizes, has a built-in DVD player BUT a Blu-Ray upgrade will be available in Feb/ March 2009.

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/beovision7
post #5 of 12 Old 11-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by majestyk View Post

i don't think any manufacture is going to bother combining a bd player with a small 32" tv. You're not going to see a difference.

+1

My Basement Theater/Rec Room
"I don't have some way to put it...that's the way it is."
post #6 of 12 Old 11-18-2008, 09:18 AM
SRR
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestyk View Post

I don't think any manufacture is going to bother combining a BD player with a small 32" TV. You're not going to see a difference.

They have 5-7 inch screens in cars for dvd playback (low rez screens at that), why wouldn't they include blu at some point.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

^ They also have 32" inch TV's with built in DVD players. If the day comes when BD replaces DVD completely, it would make sense but right now it doesn't...Even less so for the car.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-18-2008, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestyk View Post

One of my systems is a 26inch Sony Bravia LCD with a PS3.

I absolutely notice the difference in Blu-ray over DVD even on the other side of the room in most cases.

One of the reasons for having Blu-ray on all TV's is that one wants to be able to play one's disk library on any system. Some of the kids still don't have Blu-ray and they are clammoring for it. I expect soon to connect up a Blu-ray player to a 27in CRT TV.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-18-2008, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Unless TV-DVD combo manufacturers start including Blu-ray playback for the DVD player in the combo they're essentially forcing Blu-ray DVD purchasers to double dip every Blu-ray DVD they buy in SD as well. Sooner or later they're going to have to do something about it.

I'm looking to buy a smaller LCD flat screen TV with a built-in DVD player for the times when I'm not all that interested in firing up my entire home theater system, receiver, projector and everything just to watch a particular section of a Blu-ray disc or the bonus material (or even the entire movie), where it isn't necessary to burn projector lamp hours in order to view it on a 100" screen.

I think it makes sense. In fact, I probably won't be buying that smaller LCD TV until I can get one that does play both SD and Blu-ray discs.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-18-2008, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Even if blu-ray doesn't look that much better, I really want an integrated tv with blu ray for compatibility. I have another 50 inch and I don't want to have to plan my Netflix rentals based on the tv I plan to watch it on. Especially in a unit where I can't upgrade the dvd part later, I'd like to get the latest and greatest now. If I get one with integrated dvd instead, I'll just have to upgrade that much sooner and it's more expensive since I have to upgrade the whole tv.

I know that's a big reason not to get integrated in the first place, but I'd like to go with a minimalistic look. I've searched for either a wall mountable dvd player or a smaller one that I could fit on the mantlepiece (the size of a portable without the screen), but I didn't have much luck with that approach. I would think that it would be popular for people without attaching a sound system to want everything together without having to put shelves in.

Oh well.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-04-2009, 03:12 AM
TNG
AVS Special Member

I was going to start a thread about this in the LCD area.

I am in Japan now on a business trip and seen a couple of Sharps here in a BIC camera store today that have a built in BD player. One was a small set at 32" and was about $1K. The other was a larger set and I didn't notice the price on that one.

I find this very annoying because I was looking for a 32" set over the holiday to replace a CRT set with a built in DVD. I found a Sharp set that has a DVD built in, but guess what, the player does not upconvert as far as I was able to find out.

Where is the logic of putting a DVD player on a HD capable set and not making it upconverting? Am I missing something? Now I get over here in Japan and find virtually the same set and it has a BD player in it. I am very frustrated.

Anyhow, to the OP, the set you want does exist and it is not some second tier manufacturer piece of junk either. Problem is that we in the US can't and probably wont be able to get it.

Also over here they have many BD-R players with Hard Drives, up to 1TB. Why can't we find this in the US? Cable Cos DVR packages to cheap and easy? I would love a DVR that I can use to archive HD material on to a BD.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-04-2009, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 194
http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/12/26...-hdtvs-at-ces/

32" to 42" Sharp LCD w/BD player coming soon

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Reply Blu-ray Players