Insignia NS-2BRDVD owners thread. All comments and questions go here - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 184 Old 04-07-2009, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas206 View Post

It appears that my remote was always sick (new out of the box) and now has finally given up (2 months past the 90 day warranty - of course). The only arrow key that works is down. None of the other arrow keys work or the Enter button. This is true in the setup menu, as well, not just at disk menus. I'll put up the twelve bucks to get a replacement before finally giving up on this player.

Yeah, the remote isn't that great. My wife got me a Logitech universal remote last month for my B-day, and after i programmed the player in, it works great. I don't get any lag time or slowness. I think it's just a crappy remote packed with the player.

Any news on the new update set for April yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 184 Old 04-08-2009, 04:42 PM

Got the new remote yesterday and it works great compared to the old one, in it's prime. I'm glad that my remote problems were the actual remote and not the player. Didn't want to spend a lot of cash on a universal only to find out it was the player.

You know my first impression on that new update announcement was April Fools joke given that the release date was 1 April. However, I kept quiet just in case. But given the fact that Insignia hasn't mentioned a word on their web site about any new updates, I'm thinking that is what it was.
post #93 of 184 Old 04-12-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:

Got the new remote yesterday and it works great compared to the old one, in it's prime. I'm glad that my remote problems were the actual remote and not the player. Didn't want to spend a lot of cash on a universal only to find out it was the player.

You know my first impression on that new update announcement was April Fools joke given that the release date was 1 April. However, I kept quiet just in case. But given the fact that Insignia hasn't mentioned a word on their web site about any new updates, I'm thinking that is what it was.

I agree. I wrote to the support email a few weeks back asking them about BDLive support, and the answer i got was not good. I was told that at this moment, there is no plan on another update or the use of the ethernet for BDLive. Again, i didn't want to say anything in case it was a mistake. But i'll keep checking the website for updates just in case.
post #94 of 184 Old 04-16-2009, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
hi i have an insignia ns2 bluray olayer can anyone tell me how to check to see what firmware i have on this player
post #95 of 184 Old 04-17-2009, 08:42 AM

You should try downloading the CDROM image for the firmware upgrade from the Insignia web site (link is in this thread somewhere). You will be prompted to install so you don't have to install if you don't want to. I don't remember for sure, but I think the old firmware version is displayed along with the new version.
post #96 of 184 Old 05-05-2009, 03:03 PM

I upgraded my player to the latest firmware, and I still have the audio glitches a few others reported, such as with playing the extended edition of Role Models. Are others still having audio cut out glitches after applying the latest FW update?
post #97 of 184 Old 05-11-2009, 07:29 AM

Insignia's tech support suggested I bring the player in to BB to have to "fixed", since it's still under warranty. So I reluctantly handed it over to their Geek Squad counter where it was sent off to the repair shop. They said it'd be about 2 weeks. While I was there, I got a salesman to play my discs on their floor model of the NS2 (Transformers Ch. 13 and POTC2 Ch. 19), and each test glitched in the exact same way it did on my player.

I went ahead and bought another Blu-ray player (Sony's S350 on sale at Target for $209), and after updating to the latest FW, so far no glitches present. So I know for certain it's an issue with the NS2. Hopefully, my player being sent to their warranty repair will trigger a FW fix to be released for this issue. For the money, it's a very nice BD player...when it works!

Will keep this thread posted.
post #98 of 184 Old 05-15-2009, 03:48 PM

New guy here. Does anyone have a good link to the firmware update? I cannot find it on the Insignia website. I have tried two copies of Quantum of Solace and they will not work. I really don't want to buy another Blu Ray player. This was was a Christmas gift from my son.

Thanks
post #99 of 184 Old 05-15-2009, 09:50 PM

Talk about timing. I just threw out the CD a few days ago while spring cleaning. I see that Insignia has changed their web site and the firmware is nowhere to be found. That doesn't seem like a good sign. Looking at the Best Buy product page for this player shows a lot of customer comments complaining about busted players due to a failed upgrade. However, I did fish the CD out of the trash and copied it to an ISO file which is about 34 Meg. If you want a copy let me know what would be a good way to send it.
post #100 of 184 Old 05-16-2009, 05:34 AM

Quote:

Talk about timing. I just threw out the CD a few days ago while spring cleaning. I see that Insignia has changed their web site and the firmware is nowhere to be found. That doesn't seem like a good sign. Looking at the Best Buy product page for this player shows a lot of customer comments complaining about busted players due to a failed upgrade. However, I did fish the CD out of the trash and copied it to an ISO file which is about 34 Meg. If you want a copy let me know what would be a good way to send it.

Great! Can you upload it somewhere that I can get it from? I will pay you postage if you want to send it in the mail.
post #101 of 184 Old 05-18-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohernan View Post

Insignia's tech support suggested I bring the player in to BB to have to "fixed", since it's still under warranty. So I reluctantly handed it over to their Geek Squad counter where it was sent off to the repair shop. They said it'd be about 2 weeks. While I was there, I got a salesman to play my discs on their floor model of the NS2 (Transformers Ch. 13 and POTC2 Ch. 19), and each test glitched in the exact same way it did on my player.

I went ahead and bought another Blu-ray player (Sony's S350 on sale at Target for $209), and after updating to the latest FW, so far no glitches present. So I know for certain it's an issue with the NS2. Hopefully, my player being sent to their warranty repair will trigger a FW fix to be released for this issue. For the money, it's a very nice BD player...when it works!

Will keep this thread posted.

Well, it appears Insignia is NOT going to fix the playback glitch issues with this player. Instead of fixing it, Best Buy gave me a full store credit towards the purchase of another Blu-ray player. Other than the inconvenience of dealing with Geek Squad, I'm happy with the trade in deal.
post #102 of 184 Old 05-18-2009, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Insignia's tech support said the latest firmware update is now available by mail. They took my info & said to expect it within 2 weeks.
post #103 of 184 Old 05-18-2009, 05:00 PM

When you say latest, do you mean the one that came out around February and was initially downloadable? Or is there another more recent version that is mail order only?

If you don't know, then please pay attention to any version numbers that come up when you upgrade it and post that info. Thanks.
post #104 of 184 Old 05-20-2009, 07:22 PM

im at new here and i bought a ns-2brdvd...and the website took down the link is there anyway any1 can upload it...
post #105 of 184 Old 05-21-2009, 12:11 PM

Hi,

The update is back up on the Insignia site. I can't link the URL because I don't have 3 posts yet. Just look in the NS-2BRDVD product page, and click the support tab. It's below the users manual pdfs.

Victor
post #106 of 184 Old 05-21-2009, 05:12 PM

post #107 of 184 Old 05-27-2009, 11:06 AM

I have just taken my player to the Geek Squad, to send back to Insignia. I've had it with the horrible playback issues that this player continues to have. Even after the firmware update it still sucks. Looking back I wish I had paid the extra $50 for a Sony, LG, or Samsung.
post #108 of 184 Old 05-27-2009, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Regrettably Insignia technical support sent the NS-2BRDVD firmware update PKG_DVD_1_4_067 February 2009. During a follow-up phone call last night customer service confirmed the next firmware release is expected in June and will be available for download on the new website in two or three weeks.
post #109 of 184 Old 05-28-2009, 08:35 PM

I have an Insignia Blu Ray player that recently stopped loading Blu Rays or DVD's. It loads and plays audio CD's just fine but not movies.

Are there any things I can do to try and fix it? So far I've only tried blowing in the loading tray with compressed air.

The Blu Ray player is only about 5-6 months old.
post #110 of 184 Old 05-29-2009, 04:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 173
seige911,

Sound like the laser is going out.

If its still under warranty, send it back to Insignia for repair. Otherwise, its pretty much a door stop.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #111 of 184 Old 06-10-2009, 11:45 AM

Looks like they are preparing to sell a new player with BDLIVE. Probably just an NS-2BRDVD with the firmware update and an additonal front USB port.

Hoping the June update works for our players.

http://insigniaproducts.com/products...-BDLIVE01.html
post #112 of 184 Old 06-10-2009, 04:02 PM

Yep. Looks the same with the same remote. BestBuy.com has both models on their web site for the same price except the new one says "backordered". Personally I'm not that excited about the BD Live feature. I guess I'd have to see it in action to find what it adds to my "viewing experience". I'm more interested in having improved disk playback compatibility to fix my Original Star Trek Season 1 playback issues.
post #113 of 184 Old 06-10-2009, 04:05 PM

... although the BestBuy web site claims the BDLIVE model is available at my local store. I wonder if the hardware is really there.
post #114 of 184 Old 06-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Sorry to say, guys, but is this another case of "you get what you pay for"?
post #115 of 184 Old 06-10-2009, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

From the website

Model: NS-BDLIVE01 Specifications:

YouTube No
Pandora No
BD Live No
Netflix No
Ethernet Port No
USB Port Yes
BD Live Ready Yes
CinemaNow No

for complete product specifications click link below then click "Specifications"

post #116 of 184 Old 06-12-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgooch View Post

From the website

Model: NS-BDLIVE01 Specifications:

YouTube No
Pandora No
BD Live No
Netflix No
Ethernet Port No
USB Port Yes
BD Live Ready Yes
CinemaNow No

for complete product specifications click link below then click "Specifications"

Too funny. Looks like they've posted the product and specs prematurely.

You can get the NS-2BRDVD for $129 now on BB website, or $119 instore YMMV. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1217029959586

I read an article in the paper today from this guy and he actually endorses the NS-2BRDVD in his newspaper column and blog as a quality low-end player...

http://www.soundadviceblog.com/

Personally the only issues I am having with this player is the 1080p output has static/snow pixelation. Anyone else experience this? Some suspect it is my cable but it is of fair quality.
post #117 of 184 Old 06-12-2009, 11:50 AM

The Geek Squad said that they had to replace the motherboard because the player was so messed up. It better work like a dream when I get it back or they better let me get a different company's Blu ray player.
post #118 of 184 Old 06-14-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbowe View Post

Too funny. Looks like they've posted the product and specs prematurely.

You can get the NS-2BRDVD for $129 now on BB website, or $119 instore YMMV. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1217029959586

I read an article in the paper today from this guy and he actually endorses the NS-2BRDVD in his newspaper column and blog as a quality low-end player...

http://www.soundadviceblog.com/

Personally the only issues I am having with this player is the 1080p output has static/snow pixelation. Anyone else experience this? Some suspect it is my cable but it is of fair quality.

I have noticed this as well, it seems to only be in really dark scenes. I was watching Mirrors last night and all of the scenes that were really dark had mosquito like snow. I hooked up my ps3 using the same cables and the picture was nice and clean with the ps3. I will wait for the Bdlive firmware that is supposedly coming this month and if that don't improve things I will save up for new player. If not for the noise problem it would be a great player, it has played every movie I have thrown at it so far.
post #119 of 184 Old 06-19-2009, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quick help from Insignia owners. Picked this up for my friend and every once in a while a "gold disc emblem" flashes on the upper left portion of the screen. Can't find anything in the manual or on the web, anyone know what this means?

Thanks

Glenn
post #120 of 184 Old 06-20-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymerkramer View Post

I have noticed this as well, it seems to only be in really dark scenes. I was watching Mirrors last night and all of the scenes that were really dark had mosquito like snow. I hooked up my ps3 using the same cables and the picture was nice and clean with the ps3. I will wait for the Bdlive firmware that is supposedly coming this month and if that don't improve things I will save up for new player. If not for the noise problem it would be a great player, it has played every movie I have thrown at it so far.

Yes, mainly in dark scenes/areas. I switch to 1080i resolution and the snow diminishes or disappears.

Thanks for the confirmation.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page