Official Oppo BDP-83 "Ranting about Region Coding thread" - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 193 Old 12-18-2008, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Oppo! You just made my LG 200's that are Region free for DVD/BD even more valuable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 193 Old 12-18-2008, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Videophilander View Post

No offense, but that 'good samaritan' dog won't hunt. To suggest that they've decided to be 'a true and honest company' and take the 'moral high ground' NOW implies that they haven't been that all along; sorry, but that's a tough one to swallow.

It may be tough to swallow, but it is the truth of the situation. What made OPPO great in a lot of regards was their ability to skirt the Region restrictions which was a part of the DVDA licensing, their ability to bypass user prohibited operations (UPO), and be "hacked" to allow for component based upconversion and HDCP compliance.

They have never been a saintly company. That does not mean that they must stay the path that they have grown accustomed to.

Quote:
I'm sure that someone could point to competitively priced code-free region free players available right now (I'd never do that on this forum, much less in this thread because it would violate the rules)

Again, we must re-iterate, show us a DVD player that has been released in North America that is still on the market that can be region bypassed. There is none. OPPO may be a global company, but OPPO Digital, Inc, the company bringing us the BDP-83, is decisively an American company. North America is Region 1 (DVD) and Region A (Blu-ray) only.

This is not Europe or Asia where multiple regions existed for DVD. There is only one. OPPO can't feasibly allow for some kind of end user control of the region coding without them receiving some kind of reprimand. There is no Region loophole; there is only brasen disregard for their license.

Quote:
The disappointment that some folks are expressing is not only understandable, but necessary, as most comments are originating from long-time Oppo owners rather than folks who are trolling or grousing about the minutiae. Obviously this region free function is very important to some of us, even critical.

I understand the complaints and where you are coming from (I own many Japanese animations which will never be released in the United States). The difference between me and some members of this thread is that I completely understand OPPO's position. I will not chastise them for enforcing the regulations which are clearly defined in their licenses.

To me, the discussions so far laid out are very analogous to people who are saying the player is too expensive. Clearly, there are expectations that people have, and then there is the reality which OPPO is presenting them. Reality can sometimes be painful, but such is life.
post #93 of 193 Old 12-18-2008, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

OPPO may be a global company, but OPPO Digital, Inc, the company bringing us the BDP-83, is decisively an American company. North America is Region 1 (DVD) and Region A (Blu-ray) only.

Neuromancer, does this imply that that a separate license has to be purchased for each region pairing or does it mean that Oppo has the ability to lock a region pairing themselves and ship a unit to a customer locked to another pairing but is currently not in a position (not interested, unable, unwilling) to do so. This would get over the situation of providing a unit that is not in compliance with a license in that does not allow for multi region playback.
I quote my situation, I would love for Oppo to lock a unit for me to region 4 / B. I have asked this question of Oppo but get the "we cannot provide region free access" which is not the question I asked.

Again to support Vid, I purchased my Oppo for three essential criteria, multi region playback DVD, PAL support and 100 - 240vac power supply. In the case of Oppo I get the added bonus of a high quality product and back up.

Before you throw the hand grenade of bitterness, don't forget to remove the pin.
post #94 of 193 Old 12-18-2008, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

(Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...!).

Hippie (music) freak!!!

As mentioned, Tommy Region 2 is one of those key SD discs that should be a part of any library, IMHO.

And to narkspud, you showed class above...kudos, and keep turning it up to 11.

post #95 of 193 Old 12-18-2008, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The difference between me and some members of this thread is that I completely understand OPPO's position. I will not chastise them for enforcing the regulations which are clearly defined in their licenses.

I, for one, completely understand Oppo's stated position - I'm just not (yet) convinced it's the whole story. I think the analysis above strikes at the heart, as we're parsing a mixed message: they're either worried about the future with the BDA, or they've turned a new leaf and "seen the light" regarding region locking. You're making it sound to me like this is a fight for legitimacy, that the Oppo's not just going to be yet another Funai or Sorny, but a legit, name-brand player that's got to play by the rules or else... I'm not sure that narrative is required to account for the change - it could, in the end, be as simple as they received a general request from the BDA, they did the math, figured the risk/reward wasn't worth it, and moved to lock regions. The entire thrust of this discussion, then, is that for some of us we're leaning in other directions despite waiting patiently for this model release. In other words, their calculus may not have accurately accounted for the number of us that hold onto region-free SD as a must have in order to make the Oppo our key player.

Now (and this speaks to the other thread, and your experience), NONE of us have used this player for BD. It may very well be a total, no brainer when it comes to BD playback, simply destroying all comers (including the ubiquitous PS3). All of this may be moot, that the player is so fantastically great at its primary function that it becomes ridiculous not to add it to our systems for its primary roles. However, as it stands now, it's hard to see that this player is radically superior for core functionality (playing a disc, sending signals via HDMI to TV/audio system) than, say, the PS3... And that, perhaps, is too little to late to make this a must-have item.

I remain extremely hopeful that this device proves to be the rock solid player that the offerings for SD have been. I also hope that a keen and critical eye is given to any shortcomings for this player, and that we're not blinded by a love for this company, nor euqally blind to the positives due to pique felt regarding the SD region coding matter. Neuro, you've beat us all by having the player in your home for the last several months, and no doubt much of your frustration and enthusiasm comes from honestly working hard to make the player better, AND from a general interest and connection with the company. Note that our shared frustration with Oppo is not a personal attack upon you, or upon the people of Oppo. Skepticism about this so-called demand from the BDA isn't a slam against the company as a whole, but is a legitimate concern about this new direction the company has chosen, a direction that abandons some core features that built them up in the first place with early adopters of their equipment.

I appreciate greatly the posts by Videophilander et. al. that have done wonders to express the argument we share, one that's subtle and tenuous and easy to misinterpret as misanthropic or malevolent... This is disappointment, pure and simple, and not an unreasonable or unfounded disapointment....

Finally, regarding the price question, I don't think it's analogous in the way you are using the comparison, given that we've had hints for a long time about pricing, and that the cost falls within reason of the target expectation. Sure, some may grumble, just as if SD region free was provided but BD was locked some would grumble, but these factors were well taken into consideration by the more reflective members of this forum. If the price had surprised us dramatically (say, $6000, like the Denon), then you -would- have seen an explosion of discussions regarding this "outrageous" price. This is a surprise of that (hypothetical) nature, a kick-in-the-gut type of shock that is greater for many than if they would have completely dropped SACD and DVD-A (something that, for me, would have been equally inexcusable, while economically understandable).

post #96 of 193 Old 12-18-2008, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

We still have the option of converting our DVDs to R-0 also, and the Oppo is one of the few BD players that can handle PAL.

...as above, that's trading a region unlock player side (a question of Oppo breaking the explicit but largely unenforced code of the DVD forum license) to a completely illegal (for Americans), contrary to the DMCA, stripping of region coding via duplication to DVD-R.

Again, that punishes those that actually -buy- the discs... If your new master is going to be a burn, why bother buying in the first place?

This is a dangerous hypothetical, and one would think that reasonably restrictions on BD region coding with a dropping of the (redundent) SD coding would serve studio and consumer effectively, much more so that the proposed dupe-to-crack method you're implying is a genuine workaround.

Additionally, yes, the addition of this player and exclusion of this feature means we're where we are already - the question then becomes whether the features and functionality of this player so far outweigh the competition that it becomes a worthwhile addition to our setup as one of a couple players in our rack... This question, as I noted a post above, is yet to be answered from those of use without one of this puppies at home....

post #97 of 193 Old 12-18-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:

They have never been a saintly company. That does not mean that they must stay the path that they have grown accustomed to.

Let's leave religion and self-righteousness out of this (I don't live in Alaska).

Quote:

Again, we must re-iterate, show us a DVD player that has been released in North America that is still on the market that can be region bypassed. There is none. OPPO may be a global company, but OPPO Digital, Inc, the company bringing us the BDP-83, is decisively an American company. North America is Region 1 (DVD) and Region A (Blu-ray) only.

I could do that, but the forum would probably shut the thread down.

Quote:

This is not Europe or Asia where multiple regions existed for DVD. There is only one. OPPO can't feasibly allow for some kind of end user control of the region coding without them receiving some kind of reprimand. There is no Region loophole; there is only brasen disregard for their license.

Trust me, I could post a link to a full region-free/zone-free BD player for sale in the U.S. at right this very moment in the same ball park as the Oppo BD-83. I'd still rather have the BD-83 even without the zone-free application as long as it isn't region-locked for standard DVD!

Quote:

I understand the complaints and where you are coming from (I own many Japanese animations which will never be released in the United States). The difference between me and some members of this thread is that I completely understand OPPO's position. I will not chastise them for enforcing the regulations which are clearly defined in their licenses.

Forget about chastisement, stoning or any requisite Old Testament finger shaking at Oppo. This isn't about new found virtue, it's about providing a product and holding on to customers; the risk is what it is, and I think everyone is aware that the ball is in Oppo's court. For some of us the region code thing is a HUGE issue, even a deal breaker. Some of us feel very let down. I understand Oppo's position; I just hope that they understand their customer's needs.

Quote:

To me, the discussions so far laid out are very analogous to people who are saying the player is too expensive. Clearly, there are expectations that people have, and then there is the reality which OPPO is presenting them. Reality can sometimes be painful, but such is life.

No, you really have missed the point if that's what you're thinking.

As I pointed out above, I can show you a fully modded region/zone free player available right now that is in the same ball park price-wise as the upcoming Oppo. OTOH, and I can't speak for anyone but myself, I would pay even MORE for an Oppo than the current proposed cost if it just had region-free capability! For me anyway, it's all about the one-box solution with upgraded performance across the board.

ViPh
post #98 of 193 Old 12-18-2008, 11:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Why would you not name this mysterious player?
We'd really like to know.

However, your points will most likely be moot, as I quote one word from your post Videophilander...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViPh View Post

...modded...

Last time I checked, modded means that the manufacturer did not release the player as region free, but that it was modifed or hacked by a third party to manipulate the firmware or hardware to do something different from factory specifiactions.

How could this possibly compare to the situation that OPPO is in?

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #99 of 193 Old 12-19-2008, 12:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkshark View Post

The entire thrust of this discussion, then, is that for some of us we're leaning in other directions despite waiting patiently for this model release. In other words, their calculus may not have accurately accounted for the number of us that hold onto region-free SD as a must have in order to make the Oppo our key player.

The problem is, we are running a discourse which has not factual proof we can use as evidence. All we have is OPPO's "testimony" that their hands are tied in the matter. We do not know what the consequences are for a breach of contract with the Blu-ray Disc Association or their other licensor. We can make conjecture all we want about how OPPO is turning to the darkside and will hence forth follow all regulatory dogma, but it is only conjecture.

Even if they are using a standard risk rewards calculation and they calculated incorrectly for the amount of people who would be dismayed by the lack of region unlocking, there still are not enough customers in the world to make the rewards worth it enough if the ultimate price for their disobedience means that they BD license is revoked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkshark View Post

I appreciate greatly the posts by Videophilander et. al. that have done wonders to express the argument we share, one that's subtle and tenuous and easy to misinterpret as misanthropic or malevolent... This is disappointment, pure and simple, and not an unreasonable or unfounded disapointment....

The biggest issue I have with the region complaints is that people are upset that OPPO is not giving you a feature that they never promised. They never once claimed that the player could be region unlocked in any capacity. In this regard, are we not complaining about no NetFlix or other multi-media streaming support? Or, for those anime fans (such as myself) a lack of MKV container support? Simple: OPPO never promised these items.

I agree it is a disappointment, but at the same time, I have come to terms with their company line. If they feel that enabling any kind of region adjustments will put them in bad standing with the Blu-ray Disc Association, then they should do whatever it takes to ensure that they can continue to sell us Blu-ray players will into the future.

It is short sighted to demand them to break with their licenses just because it was expected of them. I only hold people to their stated promises; not my own expectations.
post #100 of 193 Old 12-19-2008, 12:35 AM

Liked: 11
And if....?
We have two, say different oppos one for the US and one for EU, both sell oppo products, I bought my 983 in the US at a fantastic price of 399, with the dollar conversion 1.50/1 I paid 266 euros plus shipping. If I had bought it on the EU site I'd to pay 399euros. When I call oppo they say check the EU site. Might it be also a price point?
post #101 of 193 Old 12-19-2008, 12:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antnkate View Post

Neuromancer, does this imply that that a separate license has to be purchased for each region pairing or does it mean that Oppo has the ability to lock a region pairing themselves and ship a unit to a customer locked to another pairing but is currently not in a position (not interested, unable, unwilling) to do so.

I do not know how the licensing works, so I can't comment on the first point. Regarding the second point, even players which can be made region free through remote control or other interface commands, are shipped to the region restrictions of the destination country. Any manipulation of the region coding post sales is completely up to the customer.

The issue is how liable a company is for having a user adjustable region code option. To a certain extent they are not, as these functions are hidden away and require that you exploit specific commands which are used by service technicians. These commands can't be done with most remote controls, so the end user has to go out of their way in order to bypass region restrictions.

On the other hand, the manufacturer has left these commands available to the public, no matter how many hoops the user has to go through. If you look at all Blu-ray players which can be region unlocked without any hardware modifications, they all exist in Europe. There has been no North American distributed player, aside from the LG unit (no longer available) which allowed the end user to unlock region codes

Quote:

This would get over the situation of providing a unit that is not in compliance with a license in that does not allow for multi region playback.

OPPO Digital, Inc does not have any jurisdiction when it comes to the other regions. Their line will always be "our players will be region x locked. We will not allow for adjusting this." OPPO has in the past supported international sales due to their ability to use their normal stock for international sales. With the BDP-83 they would have to carry specific stock that is tailored for each DVD and Blu-ray region. This is costly (manufacturing and storage costs) for a country which is supposed to be concentrating on North America only.

It is up to their cohorts, such as OPPO.SE, to take up the development and distribution branch for international countries. Unfortunately, there is no evidence of a release date for European players.
post #102 of 193 Old 12-19-2008, 12:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Let's leave religion and self-righteousness out of this ...

Saintly: good, perfect, flawless, moral. It has nothing to do with religion. Do not misconstrue or read additional meaning to my statements.

Quote:

I could do that, but the forum would probably shut the thread down.

Quote:

Trust me, I could post a link to a full region-free/zone-free BD player for sale in the U.S. at right this very moment in the same ball park as the Oppo BD-83.

If it is not hardware modified, then it will not shut the thread down. Look at my Official DV-980H and DV-983H threads. They talk about region unlocking in the main post.

So, again, show me a player which has been officially released in the United States (ie. not manufactured and shipped from an overseas location) that does not require any hardware modification for region unlocking.

Quote:

Forget about chastisement, stoning or any requisite Old Testament finger shaking at Oppo.

Again, do not read into my statements. Chastise: to reprimand, punish or discipline. There is no religious or political meaning.
post #103 of 193 Old 12-19-2008, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

So, again, show me a player which has been officially released in the United States (ie. not manufactured and shipped from an overseas location) that does not require any hardware modification for region unlocking.

Are there any DVD players actually manufactured in the US?

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #104 of 193 Old 12-19-2008, 07:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

Are there any DVD players actually manufactured in the US?

He means manufactured, engineered, and sold for sales in region_1/region_A.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #105 of 193 Old 12-19-2008, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Emphasis on the "shipped from an overseas location". An example is Helios, who technically has North American offices, but does all of their shipping from Honk Kong in order to avoid most international licensing laws.

So if I can't purchase a non-hardware modified player from a domestic retailer, the claims are forfeit.
post #106 of 193 Old 12-19-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:

That is, we are punishing OPPO for being a true and honest company, as they were defiant of their obligations to their licensing partners the first time around.

No one is "punishing" OPPO. Consumers desire a product feature and voting with their dollars. Same as digital audio (MP3 players versus CD players) or single-track sales (iTunes versus CDs) or fuel-efficient cars (Toyota/Honda versus Ford/GM/Chrysler).

Some people are disappointed that what they were expecting to be the best quality product is lacking a feature they consider necessary or close to necessary. Like if the iPhone didn't support text messaging.

post #107 of 193 Old 12-19-2008, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

We are at an impasse. Our ideas and definitions of expected features are completely different. I would not be surprised if the next analogy that appears is: "It would be like I bought a car from Ford and it didn't include the tires".
post #108 of 193 Old 12-19-2008, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

He means manufactured, engineered, and sold for sales in region_1/region_A.

I see - so what players would be examples of this?

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #109 of 193 Old 12-19-2008, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

I see - so what players would be examples of this?

none. that's the whole point.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #110 of 193 Old 12-19-2008, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

We are at an impasse. Our ideas and definitions of expected features are completely different. I would not be surprised if the next analogy that appears is: "It would be like I bought a car from Ford and it didn't include the tires".

I think you are pushing it there a bit

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't every previous player sold by Oppo have the ability to either directly or with simple remote sequences be region-free?

Given that, it is not an unreasonable expectation that any new player from Oppo would be the same. Since discussion of the capabilities and features were always quite guarded these expectations understandably existed for months while excitement over the player grew.

However, expectations need to be based on available information and now that information is available making it clear that the BDP-83 never was and never will be DVD region free lest Oppo should choose to risk their existence, people should be realizing that however valid their expectations seemed, in hindsight they were completely unrealistic.

Disappointment - absolutely valid.

Anger that Oppo did not manage their customers expectations well (as they had to have thought that people would assume region free like the 983) - understandable.

Expecting anything other than a region locked 83 anytime in the near future - absolutely unrealistic.

post #111 of 193 Old 12-19-2008, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have never once said that it was an unreasonable expectation to expect region unlocking support.

What I have a contention with is that people are demanding that the region unlocking be a part of the player, because of the previous transgresses.

I have said many times that it is a disappointment that they can't allow for end-user region controls, but at the same time, I respect their ultimate decision, as it will preserve their relationship with their licensing partners, and allow them to continue to provide us with quality products well into the future.

"I think you are pushing it there a bit"

And yes, my analogy was extreme hyperbole, but I was using it as an illustration to show that we will not be able to come to an accord.
post #112 of 193 Old 12-19-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:

In the case of the BDP-83 my tires have already been deflated!

Quote:

Saintly: good, perfect, flawless, moral. It has nothing to do with religion. Do not misconstrue or read additional meaning to my statements.

I apologize if you didn't find my gentle sarcasm about not being from Alaska amusing, but your earlier phrasing about Oppo taking the moral high-ground and chastisement had the odd tenor of religiosity to it. I wasn't reading anything into your comments or trying to take your words out of context. No offense was intended, I was just trying to keep things light in spite of my obvious personal disappointment.

Quote:

If it is not hardware modified, then it will not shut the thread down. Look at my Official DV-980H and DV-983H threads. They talk about region unlocking in the main post.

There's the rub, as Shakespeare would say.

Quote:

Show me any region-free player that isn't violating some regulation somewhere; it's how Oppo gained it's fame and retains it's customer base.

ViPh
post #113 of 193 Old 12-19-2008, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:

Show me any region-free player that isn't violating some regulation somewhere; it's how Oppo gained it's fame and retains it's customer base.

ViPh

That's where you are way off the mark. It's simply not true. Oppo gained its business by word of mouth and by producing high quality players at unexpectedly low prices. None of the Oppo players owe their success to being R-0 capable, but to being truly quality universal players that can meet the needs of a very wide range of users. R-0 is just one feature in a very long list of features that attract buyers. But the quality is the one single thing that has made them popular, with customer service being a very close second. Also good to note that Oppo never sold a single player as being "R-0 capable". That feature was there because the same models were being sold world-wide. The BDP-83 is not being sold world-wide.
post #114 of 193 Old 12-19-2008, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

What I have a contention with is that people are demanding that the region unlocking be a part of the player, because of the previous transgresses.

No one has said any such thing. No one is making any "demands."

People are saying (like myself) they simply won't buy this new player because of Oppo's chosen new direction. Why are they saying this? Because it's true. If Oppo doesn't include region free playback of SD material I, along with many other people, will not buy this player not because of spite but because with this crucial feature removed it's a far less compelling package when put up against competing, lower-priced BluRay units. That's all. I already have a 983, as do many other people. Because Oppo's BD player will not feature region free playback it can not replace our existing DVD players (as had perviously assumed it would be able to.) Because of this we're forced to continue to use our SD players and look for separate BluRay players to pair with them (and now we don't have to take into account how well they play SD material)... in this situation there are more sensible choices than the new Oppo.
post #115 of 193 Old 12-19-2008, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I apologize if you didn't find my gentle sarcasm about religion and not being from Alaska amusing ...

It is not a matter of me finding it amusing or not. Religious and political conversations are strictly forbidden on AVSForums.

Quote:

Out entire debate is not about the violations and reprimands of DVD player alterations. The point of contention is squarely on the shoulders of a company's ability to alter Blu-ray Disc players. You are avoiding the entire discussion about region enforcement when you are just talking about the DVD Association (DVD player only). OPPO's claims that it is the Blu-ray Disc Association that is stopping them from allowing any kind of region alterations, including standard DVD.
post #116 of 193 Old 12-19-2008, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

It is not a matter of me finding it amusing or not. Religious and political conversations are strictly forbidden on AVSForums.

Out entire debate is not about the violations and reprimands of DVD player alterations. The point of contention is squarely on the shoulders of a company's ability to alter Blu-ray Disc players. You are avoiding the entire discussion about region enforcement when you are just talking about the DVD Association (DVD player only). OPPO's claims that it is the Blu-ray Disc Association that is stopping them from allowing any kind of region alterations, including standard DVD.

I would like to understand why BDA controls the SD DVD part of the player. Are you saying based on your postings that OPPO will stop making SD DVD region free players or sell them? I have read all your postings carefully and you stated this moral law that OPPO wants to follow. I am getting this player anyway because it's an OPPO, and I like the company.
post #117 of 193 Old 12-19-2008, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Blu-ray Disc Association license only relates to a Blu-ray Player (ie. the BDP-83). That license is not transferable to their existing or future line of DVD-only product.

OPPO already has a malfeasance with the DVD Association. They do not have to alter their current course in relation to the DVD-only line of product. However, it is imperative that OPPO ensure that their Blu-ray Disc Association license is not revoked. It is corporate suicide to have this licensed revoked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

I have read all your postings carefully and you stated this moral law that OPPO wants to follow.[/b]

I would note, that I only used morality to describe OPPO's change of policy thrice. Most of my pontification has revolved around the conjecture that OPPO is locking their players to ensure that their license (their livelihood) is not revoked.
post #118 of 193 Old 12-19-2008, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

The Blu-ray Disc Association license only relates to a Blu-ray Player (ie. the BDP-83). That license is not transferable to their existing or future line of DVD-only product.

OPPO already has a malfeasance with the DVD Association. They do not have to alter their current course in relation to the DVD-only line of product. However, it is imperative that OPPO ensure that their Blu-ray Disc Association license is not revoked. It is corporate suicide to have this licensed revoked.

I would note, that I only used morality to describe OPPO's change of policy thrice. Most of my pontification has revolved around the conjecture that OPPO is locking their players to ensure that their license (their livelihood) is not revoked.

If that is their position, then that's it

Thank you
post #119 of 193 Old 12-19-2008, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

I would like to understand why BDA controls the SD DVD part of the player.

Because
(1) It's the whole player that gets approved and licensed, not just the BD part of it, and

(2) Because they can.
post #120 of 193 Old 12-19-2008, 09:19 PM

Pardon me if this has been discussed before..

Since Oppo's corporate plan is to remain complete compliance with BDA licensing rules going forward, for the sake of us who are now resigned to a 2-box solution, is there a chance for Oppo to release such 2 players in future:

1) Affordably priced (~$200?) Blu-ray player with best-in-class Blu-ray playback performance but SD-DVD region-1 locked unfortunately. Non BD-related features such as SACD, DVD-A, HD DiVX compatibility, and even ABT/VRS video processing that add up the cost can be excluded.

2) A player that offers all of BDP-83's great features PLUS SD-DVD region free remote-mod flexibility but MINUS blu-ray compatibility. (DV-984H??)
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page