Sharp BD-HP21U owners thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 224 Old 09-21-2009, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't have Slumdog anymore as it was a rental but my understanding is that the Slumdog BD will work with PN9022700 firmware.

As for the USB drive, 1gb is generally best but the firmware update file is approx 21mb, so a smaller flash should be fine. I don't think the brand matters, more important to make sure it is not formatted as NTSF but FAT.

Mike T

My BDP-05FD, still going strong and still my favorite player!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 224 Old 09-29-2009, 01:13 PM

I can add another non-working title to the list - the X-Men Origins Blu-ray title won't play on the BD-HP21U with PN9022700 firmware. I called Sharp and they said they are aware of the problem and are "working on it". No date given for new firmware...
post #183 of 224 Old 09-29-2009, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Are we talking Xmen Origins:Wolverine, or is there another title with a similar name? If it's the recently released Wolverine, I must have a magic HP21 because it plays perfectly on 9022700. Don't know if you have a rental or purchased this title but maybe you have a bad copy.

That makes me wonder why Sharp would say they are working on it???

Mike T

post #184 of 224 Old 10-06-2009, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

New version 9062300, looks like a version that's been on the Sharp UK site for a little while. On the UK site, it said it addresses issues with Starship Troopers. Here's what it says on the US site. Seems very generic.

link: http://www.sharpusa.com/CustomerSupp...Downloads.aspx

File Description
This Firmware Update improves playback of BD music and movie discs. To insure your BD player operates smoothly with new studio releases and interactive features, check your BD player software version level in the BD player's setup menu to see if you have the latest software installed.
This update includes all previous fixes and improvements.
Date released: 10/05/09
**FOR U.S. PLAYERS ONLY**

Btw, my 21 with 9022700, has played every disk that I've tried so far, both new and old titles. I may just hold onto this new fw until I have a problem disk.

Mike T

post #185 of 224 Old 10-09-2009, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-tee View Post

Are we talking Xmen Origins:Wolverine, or is there another title with a similar name? If it's the recently released Wolverine, I must have a magic HP21 because it plays perfectly on 9022700. Don't know if you have a rental or purchased this title but maybe you have a bad copy.

That makes me wonder why Sharp would say they are working on it???

Mike T

It was a purchased copy. My 21U would take 5 minutes to "load" it, but it would be a black screen after loading. I also had 9022700. When I called Sharp they said they were aware of it. Now that Sharp released new firmware I need to get it back from my son-in-law and see if it fixes the compatibility issue. His PlayStation 3 plays it with no issues.

So what is this rumor about keeping a USB drive in the player full time to provide faster loading times? Anyone confirmed this?
post #186 of 224 Old 10-23-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalilama View Post

It was a purchased copy. My 21U would take 5 minutes to "load" it, but it would be a black screen after loading. I also had 9022700. When I called Sharp they said they were aware of it. Now that Sharp released new firmware I need to get it back from my son-in-law and see if it fixes the compatibility issue. His PlayStation 3 plays it with no issues.

So what is this rumor about keeping a USB drive in the player full time to provide faster loading times? Anyone confirmed this?

I personally have had no problems loading any title with my 21U. Downloaded the latest firmware after I bought it (07/20/09) and have had no problems whatsoever. I receive the latest releases from BlockBuster every week. I also left the USB drive in the player and it definitely appears to load quicker.
post #187 of 224 Old 10-24-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themajickman View Post

I personally have had no problems loading any title with my 21U. Downloaded the latest firmware after I bought it (07/20/09) and have had no problems whatsoever. I receive the latest releases from BlockBuster every week. I also left the USB drive in the player and it definitely appears to load quicker.

Loaded the new Snow White release and it would not play the movie (the trailers and menu loaded). I spoke to Sharp customer service and they indicated they are aware of the problem and a firmware update would be released on Oct 23, 2009. Checked the site this morning, no new update.
post #188 of 224 Old 10-25-2009, 06:48 AM

I moved my sharp to my bedroom several months ago but never used it. Turns out mine won't output anything via Compnent and that's all that TV has . I brought it back out to my living room and nada via Component there either. Works fine outputing HDMI.
post #189 of 224 Old 10-25-2009, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

I bought a 22u a few days ago and have been searching for and dedicated owners thread without luck. I can't figure out how to do the firmware update. The website downloads and .mvp file that is about 22mb and then if extracted is 23 mb. I can't open it with anything on my pc. Am I just supposed to copy this to a usb drive and then plug it into the player? Extracted or not extracted? If some can help me with this and let me know if a 22 thread is around, I'd really appreciate it.

Tony B
post #190 of 224 Old 10-26-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab View Post

I bought a 22u a few days ago and have been searching for and dedicated owners thread without luck. I can't figure out how to do the firmware update. The website downloads and .mvp file that is about 22mb and then if extracted is 23 mb. I can't open it with anything on my pc. Am I just supposed to copy this to a usb drive and then plug it into the player? Extracted or not extracted? If some can help me with this and let me know if a 22 thread is around, I'd really appreciate it.

The instructions are in a PDF file on Sharp's website along with the firmware update file. Here's the link to the instructions:

http://sharp-idncservice.com/SharpUS...HP22-HP210.PDF
post #191 of 224 Old 10-26-2009, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFore9 View Post

The instructions are in a PDF file on Sharp's website along with the firmware update file. Here's the link to the instructions:

http://sharp-idncservice.com/SharpUS...HP22-HP210.PDF

Thanks, I don't know why I couldn't find that when I go to their website. Any idea why my downloaded f/w is a .mvp file? The instrucions you link me to even state it should be a .zip file.

Tony B
post #192 of 224 Old 10-26-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloz2 View Post

I moved my sharp to my bedroom several months ago but never used it. Turns out mine won't output anything via Compnent and that's all that TV has . I brought it back out to my living room and nada via Component there either. Works fine outputing HDMI.

soloz2, like the BDHP20U, I don't think this player is capable of outputting both Component and HDMI at the same time. I think in the manual on the pages where it talks about connecting HDMI and/or component cables it says how to switch the unit from outputting HDMI to outputting Component. On mine, there's an "HDMI" button on the remote, and when you point it at the player (with the player off) it will flash HDMI on the display for a couple seconds and then flash something like "CP out". And when it flashes "CP out" then it will output a component signal.
post #193 of 224 Old 10-26-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab View Post

Thanks, I don't know why I couldn't find that when I go to their website. Any idea why my downloaded f/w is a .mvp file? The instrucions you link me to even state it should be a .zip file.

wabkab, Sharp keeps the firmware download files in .ZIP format on their site. After downloading, you have to take the firmware file (I think that's the .mvp file you talk about) out of the .ZIP and put that onto a USB drive.
post #194 of 224 Old 10-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisTFW View Post

wabkab, Sharp keeps the firmware download files in .ZIP format on their site. After downloading, you have to take the firmware file (I think that's the .mvp file you talk about) out of the .ZIP and put that onto a USB drive.

Yep, I thinks that's it. Thanks.

Tony B
post #195 of 224 Old 10-27-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:

soloz2, like the BDHP20U, I don't think this player is capable of outputting both Component and HDMI at the same time. I think in the manual on the pages where it talks about connecting HDMI and/or component cables it says how to switch the unit from outputting HDMI to outputting Component. On mine, there's an "HDMI" button on the remote, and when you point it at the player (with the player off) it will flash HDMI on the display for a couple seconds and then flash something like "CP out". And when it flashes "CP out" then it will output a component signal.

I'm fully aware of this and didn't have both connected at the same time. I brought it back to the store I got it from on Sunday and one of their sales guys hooked it up to a TV on the floor and we played around with connections but couldn't get component to work so I left it there for their service guy to look at. I got a phone call last night saying it was ready to pick up. Apparently a FW updated coupled with a hard reset did the trick. I haven't had the chance to hook it up to verify the fix.

For anyone in the Rochester NY area I highly recommend the Stereo Shop in Henrietta. Great service and competitive prices for a B&M store.
post #196 of 224 Old 10-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Crazy, once I did get it, the 22 already had the new firmware version? I bought it last week. Interesting how something produced a month or so ago has the FW released to the public last week?

Tony B
post #197 of 224 Old 10-31-2009, 06:04 PM

New firmware update for the 21U, released 10-26:

http://downloads.sharpusa.com/sharpu...zip&USADNNID=1
post #198 of 224 Old 10-31-2009, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Nothing new here. This firmware, version 119 was released Oct 6th. Looks like they just updated the description on Oct 26th.

Mike T

post #199 of 224 Old 11-14-2009, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Interesting in that the new Consumer Reports has the 21U rated higher than the 22U, and recocommends it for purchase. Of course the 21U is long discontinued.
post #200 of 224 Old 11-14-2009, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC21 View Post

Interesting in that the new Consumer Reports has the 21U rated higher than the 22U, and recocommends it for purchase. Of course the 21U is long discontinued.

Good to see a post here, this has pretty much become a dead thread. I know nothing about the 22U but my 21 has been a very nice player and it cost me next to nothing. Honestly, it has played every BD I've thrown at it, both old and new titles. Recently, I've expected some hiccups on titles such as Watchman Max Movie Mode, Xmen:Origins or Transformers 2 and they played without issue. I also have Akira BD, which can be problematic for some players but my 21 plays it fine.

On reading this thread, it seems like there have been quite a few disk problems with this player, makes me wonder if I've just been lucky??? I'm pleased with my 21, it's been very reliable to this point.

Interestingly enough, used 21s can be found in abundance on fleabay for a ridiculously low price. Also, the most recent ad from 6th Ave Electronics has them NIB for under $100.

Mike T

post #201 of 224 Old 12-01-2009, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Just found this new version posted on both the US and Canadian site. I copied the info on what it fixes from the Canadian site(see below) but I'm confused. It makes a reference to "BD-live update" for X2: X-Men United, since when is the 21 or 50 BD-live capable. Think I'll give Sharp a call and try to get an explanation, should be fun.

From Sharp Canada site:
This update version improves playback problem with the following BD discs. Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs Can't playback Disc1 and Disc2. X2: X-Men United Can't playback after performing BD-LIVE update. The screen becomes black screen. Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End Disc 2 Can't playback to the top menu on the Disc2. The Omen 666 When playback the movie from the top menu, only the bottom menu of the screen is displayed and the unit locks up.
[BDHP21U] [BDHP50U]

Mike T

post #202 of 224 Old 12-02-2009, 09:14 PM

I have this player hooked up to A LC52D85U and have tried 4 Bluray movies and they all look grainy.Is there a setting or something else I am missing? I thought BluRay was the best picture you could get. Thanks for any help.
post #203 of 224 Old 12-02-2009, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mule 401 View Post

I have this player hooked up to A LC52D85U and have tried 4 Bluray movies and they all look grainy.Is there a setting or something else I am missing? I thought BluRay was the best picture you could get. Thanks for any help.

Basically, it depends on what BD movies you're talking about. Some BD transfers may not be the best source. But, when you say grainy, it may be that your sharpness or detail is set too high on your TV. Being that BD has a picture quality that is already highly detailed, you should calibrate your TV to give you a more pleasing picture.

At the very least, if you have your TV in Dynamic mode, try another mode...like Standard. As for tweaking, try your backlight, contrast/picture and or brightness settings.

Mike T

post #204 of 224 Old 12-03-2009, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the reply Mike-Tee. The four movies we have watched are Paul Blart, The Wrestler, Four Christmases, and Night at the Museum 11. I will mess with the settings that you have suggested. Thanks again.
post #205 of 224 Old 12-03-2009, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mule 401 View Post

Thanks for the reply Mike-Tee. The four movies we have watched are Paul Blart, The Wrestler, Four Christmases, and Night at the Museum 11. I will mess with the settings that you have suggested. Thanks again.

You're welcome. You may want to take a look at the links below, they are links to AVS member Ralph Potts' reviews of BD movies. It's good stuff that I believe you'll find both useful and enjoyable.

For the record, seems like 4 Christmases was not the best of BD transfers, Wrestler was intentionally grainy and the only one that really got an exceptional video rating was Night at the Museum II.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1029348
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=187

Mike T

post #206 of 224 Old 12-23-2009, 05:18 AM

Just for the record, any graininess in movies when using this player is probably due to a bug in the earlier firmware revisions which caused 3:2 pulldown AND motion adaptive deinterlacing to fail, making the player to revert to simple bob deinterlacing for everything. I confirmed this with the HQV HD test disc a couple months ago. When I tried the disc again with the latest firmware, the problem was fixed, and the player passed the test suite with flying colors. Of course, this issue only occured when using 1080p60 output. The deinterlacing performance of this player is excellent btw(at least for HD content, haven't tested SD deinterlacing performance).
post #207 of 224 Old 12-30-2009, 08:13 AM

Ok, I am about as green as they come on this matter. Here is my player:
http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-BDHP210U.../dp/B002OOWCB0

It is listed to play at a max of :Full HD 1080p/24 fps video output

Is this fps the same what what my TV is rated (120Hz)? If so, I am not a happy camper.
post #208 of 224 Old 12-30-2009, 02:43 PM

Just picked one of these up at Microcenter where they currently have them as refurbs for about $80. Shipped (mine anyway) with the 9022.. firmware; currently upgrading to the 9110600. Haven't played a disc yet - will post if there are any issues.

edit: the T2 skynet edition loads up just fine. don't have any other BD discs to test, but this looks good so far. Note that you must set the HDMI display mode to "Auto" in order to get 1080p/24 output. If it is set to 1080p you will only get 1080p/60.
post #209 of 224 Old 01-22-2010, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeeP View Post

Ok, I am about as green as they come on this matter. Here is my player:
http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-BDHP210U.../dp/B002OOWCB0

It is listed to play at a max of :Full HD 1080p/24 fps video output

Is this fps the same what what my TV is rated (120Hz)? If so, I am not a happy camper.

I am sure you found your answer by now, but the player will output 1080P at 60Hz or 24Hz depending on your TV capabilities.

24Hz is preferable to 60Hz output because that is what the source video is stored on a Bluray Movie disc. Your TV converts that 24Hz to 120Hz internally to display. Only 1080p TVs in the last few years except 24Hz input. All older 1080p TV input accept 1080p 60hz (really old ones only except 1080i).

The reason why 24 Hz is preferable is that 24Hz * 5 = 120Hz so each frame will be displayed for the same amount of time getting rid the 3:2 pull-down judder that the 60 Hz output causes on Movies.

There is no player that outputs 120Hz over HDMI (except the new Bluray 3D HDMI Players that are not released.)
post #210 of 224 Old 01-29-2010, 07:20 AM

For those having it hooked up with both both Component and HDMI if you want to switch between the two you need to hold the HDMI button on the remote for 5 seconds. you'll see it change on the little display on the front of the player. If you have HDMI set to Auto in the settings each time you restart it will try to use the HDMI cable. One other thing, if you are using component you should change the output settings as it defaults to 480.

I've had nothing but problems with this player. I got it for free from Foxwoods Casino. I have the latest firmware but almost every movie from NetFlix has had problems freezing up. Observe and Report, Saw V, Body of Lies, Crank 2, Role models...calling CSR today. I'll post what they say if anything.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page