Sharp BD-HP21U owners thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 224 Old 02-25-2010, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why have this huge thread covering years of misc problems with BD-HP21U instead of a separate forum? Makes no sense. Searching for posts on a particular problem almost impossible.

My problem is my player has no audio on dual-layer DVD-R, which play ok on an analog DVD player. I have the latest firmware update (Nov. 09). Tried all audio output options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 224 Old 04-30-2010, 03:30 PM

There is a new firmware update. Version PN9200400 Date: 4/26/2010 at http://www.sharpusa.com/CustomerSupp...Downloads.aspx
post #213 of 224 Old 05-01-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoneill View Post

There is a new firmware update. Version PN9200400 Date: 4/26/2010 at http://www.sharpusa.com/CustomerSupp...Downloads.aspx

Thank you jfoneill!
post #214 of 224 Old 05-01-2010, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
When I go to that link I get 0 downloads. Model BD-HP21U is not even listed but I entered it manually in the appropriate box. No downloads.
Oh sorry. It just came up.

Never signs up for anything
post #215 of 224 Old 05-01-2010, 12:23 PM

Use the "Find Downloads by Product Category" search. Pull down Blu-Ray Disc Players and select Firmware in Download type. You will get a list of players, BDHP21U is on the second page.
post #216 of 224 Old 05-05-2010, 10:44 PM

I just tried the newest update and I am getting this message and "USB stick is clean". It is the same USB stick I have used for all of my updates.

"BD player said it could not update because I have multiple files on my USB drive"
I know for a fact it does not. USB stick only has the firmware update PN9200400. Not in a zip but the actual file it self.

It is not like I haven't done these updates before LOL!!!
post #217 of 224 Old 06-27-2010, 09:57 AM

I have upgraded to a new Blu Ray player and I just wanted to give a final update on my experience with the Sharp BD-HP21U. I have had this player since Novemeber of 2008 and it has played every BD I have wanted to watch. The first movie I played on it was Pirates of the Caribbean and the last was Return of the King. There were a few times when I though the updates were slow in coming, but generally I watch rentals which usually come out after the updates. Overall it has been a really decent performer for the price paid. The main reason I have upgraded now are for faster load times, WiFi, and I found what I wanted at a good price.
post #218 of 224 Old 10-05-2010, 09:58 AM

I've generally had OK luck with this player. Lots of stuff that wouldn't play initially, but did after firmware updates. Generally my problems have been with "the latest" titles - Iron Man, Avatar, Wolverine, etc, but did clear up after firmware updates.

But recently I've had a slew of issues, on somewhat surprising titles. Superbad, Julie and Julia, Galaxy Qwest. None of these seems to be particularly new or advanced. I even tried downreving firmware, but still had issues. Symptoms seem similar - I can get the top menu to play, but at that point none of the buttons seem to work. Occasionally I can get "stop" to work, but once I hit play again then all buttons fail. So even though the top menu is visible, music is playing, etc, you cannot ever select the "play" option to start the movie. Even the power and eject buttons on the physical player do not work. So at this point the only option is to disconnect the power cord and restart.

Anyone else having similar problems?
post #219 of 224 Old 01-06-2011, 08:01 AM

Well, I'm currently researching a replacement for this player as I consistently have trouble with BD from Netflix - even if the disc looks completely spotless. Last night we watched Hot Tub Time Machine and there was digital artifacting (distorted boxy lines that look like corrupted data all throughout the picture) through about 75% of the movie.

I just checked the Sharp website and it appears there is an updated firmware version available; it is Version PN9201100 Date 12/15/2010

I will try it out and let you know if the artifacting issues disappear... perhaps it'll breathe a few more months of life into this player!
post #220 of 224 Old 01-06-2011, 09:09 AM

Well, as luck would have it, playing the HTTM BD before an update wouldn't reproduce the distortion issues I was seeing last night... This is very strange since I haven't changed anything & had stopped & removed the disc once to clean it (to no avail). Just one of those things, I guess.

Anyway, I went ahead and updated the firmware to the new version. Not noticing anything different; I suspect the update is entirely to support new BD releases. I played a few minutes of Inception and it seems to work just fine.
post #221 of 224 Old 01-06-2011, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the info on the firmware update.
post #222 of 224 Old 01-06-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr808 View Post

...and there was digital artifacting (distorted boxy lines that look like corrupted data all throughout the picture) through about 75% of the movie.

Did it look similar to what I was describing in this thread?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post15453076
post #223 of 224 Old 01-06-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavitating View Post

Did it look similar to what I was describing in this thread?

No, but thanks for linking. This was more like what you'd expect to see if certain sections of the image were partially corrupted. The colors would be more or less correct, but the detail is degraded to large-ish squares. Kind of like the digital version of the wavy-lines you'd see back in the day on those "illegal channels", but not nearly to that level of distortion (it was very annoying, but still watchable).
post #224 of 224 Old 01-24-2011, 06:06 AM

Hey all - just wanted to close the loop on the firmware update vs picture issues thing... I had difficulties with the "Date Night" disc the other night. Same type of problem - no skipping, but visual distortions throughout the picture that started a little ways into the movie. Disc is spotless, so must be related to the player.

I'm giving up on this one and replacing the player with a new one. Good luck!

PS - Date Night is a horrible movie, with a few funny moments.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page