Sharp BD-HP21U owners thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 224 Old 12-22-2008, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Since there doesn't seem to be an owners thread for this model I thought I'd start one.
Now why on earth would I buy this model - well - I didn't - it was a freebie from Ameritrade. I've had it for 1 month so it hasn't gotten much testing.

First problem - The Fall froze about 40min in and wouldn't play after repeated tries - getting replacement from Netflix.
2nd problem - X-files won't play period. Installed new firmware update. Managed to get a menu after 20 min but then still wouldn't play. Called Sharp - There are no more firmware updates planned. If a replacement disc doesn't work I will have to send player in for service.
I mentioned I've read people are having problems with Narnia. The CSR said no firmware update and complaints are being handled case by case.

Never signs up for anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 224 Old 12-22-2008, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I never intend on buying this player, got it as a gift. Couldn't play Narnia Caspian Prince, froze just after the trailers for other movies. That little stupid monkey icon appeared for several seconds, then disappeared. On the other hand, I watched Wanted, The Dark Knight, and Forbidden Kingdom all in one day. The audio and video was superb. FWIW, that's my limited experience with this player. Oh, and I did d/l the latest firmware.
post #3 of 224 Old 12-22-2008, 09:14 PM

I had this player for about 3 weeks. Good PQ but awfully slow and problematic. I think it must be a re-branded no-name player, it looks cheap, it feels cheap. After 3 weeks I exchanged it for a Panasonic BD35 and never looked back.
post #4 of 224 Old 12-22-2008, 10:47 PM

I have had it for 1 month and I am very happy with it. The quality of the BluRay, dvd upconversion and audio is great. I have a Sharp tv so it works together very well. I played X-Files too. Initially I thought it wasn't working because it took so damn long to read. I even began to call Sharp and when I was on the phone with them it suddenly began to play. Afterwards, I found out that X-Files was loaded with more bonus features than most other discs, therefore, it simply took longer to load. I also re-read the manual and saw where Sharp recommends that you install a usb drive of at least 256kb to store information from those discs with extra features. I installed a 1gb drive and have had no repeat of this problem. The only other discs I have had problems with were Mama Mia and Traitor. Mama Mia said it could not read the disc, and Traitor just kept getting stuck. Both discs have been replaced by Netflix and both replacements played perfectly. This is my first experience with BluRay, but it seems to me that most problems are caused by the discs and not the player. So as of today, I have played 7 BluRay new releases and several dvd's and have been able to watch all. I did update the firmware as soon as I bought the player.
post #5 of 224 Old 12-23-2008, 07:50 AM

I received this player as a gift. I have put 4 discs in, for two [ Iron Man and Smart People] I have seen the main menu, for the other two [Dark Knight and Journey to the Center of the Earth] I see some spinning disc with a shadow icon, then the movie starts playing. I cannot get the main menu to appear. I can access the pop-up menu and jump to scenes, but not the main menu. The only reason I tried to watch Journey to the Center of the Earth was for the 3D, but I couldn't access this feature. I believe I have the latest firmware PN8091201. Anyone else having this issue?
post #6 of 224 Old 12-23-2008, 08:14 AM

I haven't tried Journey, but Dark Knight worked absolutely perfectly. Based on my experience this is a problem with the disc, not the player.
post #7 of 224 Old 12-23-2008, 11:44 AM

I have tried 2 different copies of The Dark Knight with no success. The Anti Piracy warning comes up, then the Warner home video logo comes up, then the spinning disc and the movie starts with the Warner Brothers Movie logo.

I called Sharp and they want me to send it in to be repaired.
post #8 of 224 Old 12-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

I bought this player at Sears for $167.00 the Sunday before Thanksgiving. It would not play Narnia or The Love Guru. I downloaded and installed the latest firmware and after that it played The love Guru but not Narnia. Other wise good player. I do expect a new firmware update sometime after the first of the year.

Bill G
post #9 of 224 Old 12-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
post #10 of 224 Old 12-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavitating View Post

I have tried 2 different copies of The Dark Knight with no success. The Anti Piracy warning comes up, then the Warner home video logo comes up, then the spinning disc and the movie starts with the Warner Brothers Movie logo.

I called Sharp and they want me to send it in to be repaired.

Warner movies have no main menu.
post #11 of 224 Old 12-24-2008, 05:49 AM

I have had this player for almost 2 months and have probably played 30 BDs and 15 SDs on it. The only problem I have had playing a disk has been with a few from Netflix. They were smudged and played fine after cleaning. The load times have been pretty good with simple BDs like the Shining taking about 5 seconds to more complicated ones like POTC taking a little less than a minute (not including having to skip through the 20 minutes of Disney previews). TrueHD and DTS MA are both supported and sound awesome. I really don't think it looks flimsy and I have an 11 lb. Boston Acoustics center speaker sitting on it.
post #12 of 224 Old 12-24-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmos View Post

Warner movies have no main menu.

Really? So do you get the spinning disc icon on the Dark Knight? I shouldn't send it in to get "fixed"?

I will check the software forum to see how to access the 3D version of Journey since I can not find it on the disc the way it currently loads and auto plays.

Thanks for the info.
post #13 of 224 Old 12-25-2008, 07:43 PM

I bought my wife Prince Caspian for Christmas and we've been trying to watch it for the last hour and a half... turns out lots of people have had issues with this disc. I downloaded the latest firmware, but just checked and it already has the latest firmware...
post #14 of 224 Old 12-26-2008, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I got replacement discs of The Fall and X-files from Netflix. The Fall played perfectly with no pixelation or freezing. However X-files would not play period. I tried inserting it about 3 times, have the latest software and have a 4gig drive installed in the back slot.

The last time I talked to the CSR she said I would need to send it in for service if the replacement disc didn't work. I think I may hold off on that because there are alot of blu-rays I want to see right now (player is only 1 month old) and also see if there are others that don't work. I'll call Sharp Mon. to discuss.

post #15 of 224 Old 12-26-2008, 02:50 PM

I've been looking into buying this player (or the higher end BDHP50U), and I called Sharp regarding the X-Files thing. I was a little worried when I read Plasmacat's "no more firmware updates planned" comment.

They are aware of this movie and Prince Caspian having an issue, and are working on a firmware update to fix it.

Since firmware updates have been common for Blu-ray players (and probably will be for some time) I think they'll support this like they did the BDHP20U and put out updates as needed.
post #16 of 224 Old 12-26-2008, 05:34 PM

Just put the X-Files in, press play and walk away. It takes a long long time to load, but eventually it will play. It also takes a real long time between the menus and actually playing the movie. And once it starts do not pause or stop it, or it will take a long time to start again. I like the bd-hp21u a lot and have played many BluRay discs. This is the only one where this happened. I would not send mine back to Sharp. I don't think the problem is with the player, and you might end up with a refurbished unit which actually has real problems.
post #17 of 224 Old 12-27-2008, 01:44 PM

I have a question about a new blu ray player I just picked up.

I just got a new Sharp Aquos BDHP21U Blu ray player for 169.99 to go with my Samsung 32A330.

The picture looks fantastic running through HDMI, but I have one little gripe with it. I notice sometimes, especially on far away shots, that certain things look like they are going brighter, then darker, then brighter, then darker...it almost looks like a fireplace glow or something.

The two examples I have so far, is:

Example One:
In House of 1000 Corpses, there is a scene at the beginning where a guy is wearing a black and white referee type shirt, with interchanging verticle lines on the shirt. It kind of flashes, as described above

Example Two:
In The Dark Knight, the IMAX shots where they are panning over the streets of the city, the sides of buildings are doing this flashes as well.

Is this my Blu Ray Player? My Cable? A Setting on my TV?

I went through the settings on the Blu P and it is running at 1080i.

Could it be a TV setting? Noise Reduction or "film mode" something like this? I tried all different options, but with no changes.

My final thought is could it be my HDMI cord? I am currently using an HDMI cord that came with the machine. Its a Monster Cable 2M Standard Speed HDMI Cable 550HD

Other than this little problem, the picture looks amazing. But it really brings you out of the experience when once and a while something starts flashing strangely.

Could this be ghosting of some sort?
post #18 of 224 Old 12-27-2008, 06:05 PM

I played Dark Knight and did not notice what you described. It sounds to me like your tv's auto contrast which is making adjustments to different scenes. I have an Aquos tv so I can't tell you how to correct that. As far as the HDMI cable goes, I am using a cable that is certified ver 1.3, which utilizes the full capabilities of the BluRay player, however, the benfit you will see will depend on your tv's capabilities. All HDMI cables can be purchased very cheaply online. Don't spend more than a few dollars, even for ver 1.3.
Also, I notice you said that the BluRay is outputting a 1080i signal. This must mean that you do not have a 1080p tv. If that's the case, then you will not be able to see the maximum quality picture. Your tv may be converting a 1080p signal to 1080i.
post #19 of 224 Old 12-27-2008, 06:45 PM

ya my tv is only 720p. Since its a 32", I didn't feel the need to spend the extra on 1080p.

My tv is a Samsung 32A330 32"...Any idea on how to find out if its this "auto contrast" your talking about?

by the way, i have since discovered its NOT the cable....tried two different HDMI cables.
post #20 of 224 Old 12-28-2008, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavitating View Post

Really? So do you get the spinning disc icon on the Dark Knight? I shouldn't send it in to get "fixed"?

I will check the software forum to see how to access the 3D version of Journey since I can not find it on the disc the way it currently loads and auto plays.

Thanks for the info.

On the Dark Knight it will give you the spinning disc for a bit and then start the movie. You will have to hit the pop-up menu button to access the discs menu.

I installed a 2gb USB drive on the back and it SEEMED to load the disc a little faster. This was the only disc that took a long time to load that I own. A 2gb drive is probably way too much but it was ll I had lying around since I had picked up a few on sale for about $7.

The new Blu Ray encryption scheme is probably causing the hang up on some movies. So stupid. So it wont play for people who actually BUY the movie. Great. SO then the option is for me to either NOT buy it or make a copy of it so it will play.
post #21 of 224 Old 12-28-2008, 04:53 AM

I've had this player for about a month now, got it during the Sears thanksgiving sale. So far have not had any problems playing any movies, including Dark Knight. Have updated the firmware.

Only complaint is the extremely long times required to start a disk or navigate between features; I assume this is just a "blu-ray" thing, that will hopefully get better as the technology matures.

For playing regular DVDs I have been very impressed with the upscaling quality; I think it does a better job than my Oppo 971 in this regard, and am viewing movies on a 145" diagonal screen size, where image quality is quite important.
post #22 of 224 Old 12-28-2008, 08:25 AM

Ive had this player for about a month, got it at Sears also, but for around $200 shipped. Main reason i purchased this so it'll match my 42" sharp aquos tv. I only had 1 problem and it was with The Prestige from Blockbuster online, if you tried to skip the trailers it'll freeze. All my other 20+ blurays worked that i've purchased from the store, including dark knight. I'm going to try the usb as the extra buffer, some read times take a little more than expected like with no country for old men.
post #23 of 224 Old 12-28-2008, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgtconv View Post

Just put the X-Files in, press play and walk away. It takes a long long time to load, but eventually it will play. It also takes a real long time between the menus and actually playing the movie. And once it starts do not pause or stop it, or it will take a long time to start again. I like the bd-hp21u a lot and have played many BluRay discs. This is the only one where this happened. I would not send mine back to Sharp. I don't think the problem is with the player, and you might end up with a refurbished unit which actually has real problems.

I gave it 20+ minutes a couple of times and it still wouldn't play. I will probably not send my player back to Sharp for repairs, at least for awhile since there are a bunch of movies I want to see right now.

post #24 of 224 Old 12-29-2008, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I called Sharp this morning and this CSR said there will be a software update -maybe this week- to fix problem with X-files, Prince Caspian, Wall-E and others.

post #25 of 224 Old 12-30-2008, 03:21 PM

I just got a BD-HP50U and the very 1st Blu Ray movie i tried to watch was Prince Caspian looks like it's just locks up after the trailers ... so frustrating!
post #26 of 224 Old 12-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmacat View Post

I called Sharp this morning and this CSR said there will be a software update -maybe this week- to fix problem with X-files, Prince Caspian, Wall-E and others.

I did not know Wall-e was a problem, my 21u plays that just fine.

Bill G
post #27 of 224 Old 12-31-2008, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Just received this Bluray player for Christmas and wanted to chime in.

My observations:

1. I bought "Lonesome Dove" on Bluray and had no issues.

2. The player seems slow to respond to basic commands (chapter skip, scan forward or reverse, stop, etc.)

3. The number keys on the remote control appear to not be usable for entering chapter numbers (or CD track numbers) to skip to. And when I RTFM, there was no indication whatsoever that this was even possible. Unbelievable... I thought this was a basic capability of any disc player!

4. On one CD-R, the disc played fine from beginning to end. But when I pressed "play" to hear it again, the player locked up.

I haven't upgraded the firmware, but I'll probably try that next (so that, at a minimum, I can avoid the problematic bluray titles discussed in this thread). Wonder if it will also clear up some of the quirks I've listed.

I may see about returning the unit, tho'. Either way, I'll be reading here to see which Bluray players are regarded highly by AVS members.

post #28 of 224 Old 01-01-2009, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Also got this player at the Sears post Thanksgiving sale for $179.

The only problem disc for me so far has been the Stones Bluray "Shine A Light", although I will admit that I gave up after 10 minutes of load time. Anyone else have issues with this disc?

Also, one poster reported that load times decreased after he stuck a flash drive in the USB port. Anyone else find this to be true?

Thanks...

John

"What happens in Vegas..."
post #29 of 224 Old 01-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robert View Post

Also got this player at the Sears post Thanksgiving sale for $179.

The only problem disc for me so far has been the Stones Bluray "Shine A Light", although I will admit that I gave up after 10 minutes of load time. Anyone else have issues with this disc?

Sharp USA's website has a firmware update that addresses the issue with "Shine A Light".

Link:
http://www.sharpusa.com/products/Typ...86,229,00.html

BTW, I checked my players FW rev., and it already has the latest. So far (from my experience), the player will not play CD-Rs more than once without first ejecting then reloading it. If you attempt to do anything else, the player freezes. This has happened with 2 separate CD-Rs, burned with 2 different computers, neither of which had any problems in my previous player, an Oppo DVD deck.

In the case of the Sharp BD-HP21U Blu-ray player, I played back a commercial CD, and the player will play from start to finish, then the front panel LCD display will read 00:00:00 when the CD stops. The CD can be played again without having to eject/reload.

In the case of the CD-R, after the last track is played, the CD-R stops, but the front panel LCD display does not reset to 00:00:00, but rather stops at the track time for the last track, i.e. 00:03:15. It's as if it doesn't recognize that the disc has been finalized or something (which my CD-Rs were).

Quirky player, this one. I'm leaning towards sending it back and getting something else.

post #30 of 224 Old 01-01-2009, 05:16 PM

I just got this player for free with the purchase of a 46" Sharp Aquos TV.

Reading about all of these problems is discouraging to say the least. Where I can't complain about the price, I did figure it into the overall price of the package. I hope this player does not become the Grinch to my family's Christmas present.

So...I'm new to the whole bluRay/High Def scene. I would appreciate it if someone would answer a bonehead question for me. How do I upgrade firmware on my bluRay player? Do I just use a flashdrive? It looks like I need to get one anyway for the discs with more info on them.

Wish me luck, the T.V. gets delivered tomorrow and then the fun begins.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page