Memorex MVBD2511 Blu-ray player thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 196 Old 02-11-2009, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
After reading the update instructions, I'm confused on something. It says to format the drive, which I'm assuming is the USB drive, though it doesn't say to insert the USB drive before doing this.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 196 Old 02-11-2009, 02:24 PM

Liked: 10
FYEO doesn't work anymore after the update. It was my buddy's copy that had previously worked, not the one I got from amazon.ca in the boxset. Maybe I'll have to borrow his again. Thunderball seems to work worse now. Very slow and glitchy as it loads up. FYEO gives me the red attention screen and the commentary legal screen and then basically gets stuck.
post #93 of 196 Old 02-11-2009, 03:41 PM

UGH, after updating firmware, the player won't play discs in 1080p/24 mode! My Sony tells me "unsupported signal. Please check the device output."

Before update it worked just fine. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it possible to revert back to the original firmware?
post #94 of 196 Old 02-12-2009, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
So I moved the Memorex from LR to HT room and it won't play any discs I tried. I tried Max Payne, Die Hard 2, Die Hard 4, The Dark Knight and they all started loading then popped out the screen where it says "BD-J Press Enter to Play" like when you pause a movie. You enter and it does the same thing. Tried unplugging and plugging back in. So then I decided to re-do the firmware since apparently the manual instructions are not quite right. After following the instructions that have you formatting local storage on the player (I presume erasing old firmware) it's doing the same thing. I actually got the Pink Memorex logo this time but I guess when I did it before it didn't take and now it's FUBAR. Weird that it played while I was testing it in the LR the night before. It's going back. I was going to exchange it but since others are having continued problems, I don't think I want to deal with it anymore.

"Like a Ninja, only better!"
post #95 of 196 Old 02-12-2009, 07:55 AM

The firmware update destroyed my unit. Now, when mine is turned on, it instantly says "Hello" on the front of the unit, and the screen just shows the Memorex logo. You can't eject or open the DVD or do anything.

I've got to take mine back.
post #96 of 196 Old 02-12-2009, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Please make sure you're reporting this to Memorex, so they'll know there is a problem.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #97 of 196 Old 02-12-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfitz View Post

The firmware update destroyed my unit. Now, when mine is turned on, it instantly says "Hello" on the front of the unit, and the screen just shows the Memorex logo. You can't eject or open the DVD or do anything.

Unplug the unit for 30 seconds and then try it again. You may well have a pleasant surprise.

BR players are computers. Updating most applications on a computer requires a reboot.

On my 2510 the update did not cause a lock up but it didn't so any good either - until I hard rebooted the player. After that it played perfectly, including discs it wouldn't play prior to the update.
post #98 of 196 Old 02-12-2009, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fateicon View Post

FYEO doesn't work anymore after the update

It didn't work before either. Either you had the one copy in the world that works or you are confusing it with another disc, because FYEO never worked with the earlier firmware. The current "warning/commentary disclaimer and hang" behavior you experienced is the same behavior the rest of us experienced BEFORE this firmware.
post #99 of 196 Old 02-12-2009, 03:49 PM

Tried the FYEO copy that worked before and it worked again. It did the circular loading logo before the menu hit. It is actually less glitchy then Thunderball. It was a cheap copy I got from half.com for someone else.

Blu-Ray Cat #M111671

disc matrix

bvdl-027361A1 1
bvdl-027361B1 1

UPC

8 83904 11671 4 80

the non-working FYEO

bvdl-027360A1 2
bvdl-027360B1 2

The discs are definitely different and I'm not sure why. Give me a couple days and maybe I can post a pic of it working or a youtube video

half.com seller info from order:

Dec-04 bluraydeals (1298) | Add to Favorite Sellers
For Your Eyes Only (Blu-ray Disc, 2008)

UPC : 883904116714
Condition: Brand NewBRAND NEW & FACTORY SEALED!!! TRUSTED POWER SELLER!!! PROMPT SHIPPING!!! FREE DELIVERY CONFIRMATION & UPGRADE TO FIRST CLASS MAIL!!!
$12.95 $2.99 $15.94 Shipped

Order Total: $15.94
post #100 of 196 Old 02-12-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravioli View Post

UGH, after updating firmware, the player won't play discs in 1080p/24 mode! My Sony tells me "unsupported signal. Please check the device output."

Before update it worked just fine. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it possible to revert back to the original firmware?

Same exact thing here. I should never have done the firmware update. I unit was working fine before the update. It ran Dark Knight flawlessly at 180p/24. Now the unit freezes no matter what Blu-Ray I put in, if I have 1080p/24 enabled.

I never had a problem with the unit until this darn update....I would love to revert back to the original. Post here if anyone finds it.
post #101 of 196 Old 02-12-2009, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Tried the FYEO copy that worked before and it worked again. It did the circular loading logo before the menu hit. It is actually less glitchy then Thunderball. It was a cheap copy I got from half.com for someone else.

Fascinating, I wonder if they did a repressing quietly without admitting the first disc had an authoring issue with it.
post #102 of 196 Old 02-13-2009, 05:40 AM

the non-working copy came from a boxset I got from amazon.ca last month. It was a restock, but I don't know which disc was authored first. Maybe the non-working one if you look at the numbers. I wonder if anyone took this up with Fox when the discs first came out and they didn't work on so many players.
post #103 of 196 Old 02-13-2009, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the non-working copy came from a boxset I got from amazon.ca last month. It was a restock, but I don't know which disc was authored first. Maybe the non-working one if you look at the numbers. I wonder if anyone took this up with Fox when the discs first came out and they didn't work on so many players.

Not that I'm aware of. You may have stumbled upon something because I followed it pretty closely and it was determined most of the players just didn't have the tools to play the disc the way it was authored. My copy (which came from a standalone, non-box set release on street date), which has the non working number you listed, DID end up playing in my LG BH200 after a firmware update, but it still doesn't run on the Memorex.
post #104 of 196 Old 02-14-2009, 09:14 AM

I tried playing back a couple of MKV files with 6 channel DTS audio and the audio stutters. I don't have any Blu-ray discs around to test if this is just an issue with video playback from files or a general issue with DTS. Anybody else experience this?

And I've upgraded to the newest firmware just released this week (obviously since MKV playback didn't work in the original firmware).
post #105 of 196 Old 02-15-2009, 06:24 AM

Rented "Wanted" in Blu-ray last night, loaded fine and played without a problem. It is a Universal release with 2.0 interactive capabilities so I was not sure if I was going to have a problem. "Max Paine" was the Blu-ray that started me on my firmware upgrade search, have to re rent it to see if it will play. Saw an earlier posting that it would still not work after the upgrade, but want to try for myself.
post #106 of 196 Old 02-15-2009, 10:33 PM

Planet of the Apes set works but often speeds up on its own because the player can't read the disc fast enough. Also flickers/glitches like the Bond dvds. Home Alone takes forever to load. I Robot played a bit easier then the others. I'm pretty sure my working FYEO pressing gives me no real playback problems.
post #107 of 196 Old 02-16-2009, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm pretty sure my working FYEO pressing gives me no real playback problems.

I tried Netflixing another copy just for the heck of it and it's the same interior disc number as the one I bought and, again, doesn't play in the 2511. I'd say they ought to work on a fix -- yours may be the only copy that functions!

I also have an early copy of IN THE ELECTRIC MIST with Tommy Lee Jones. I can also confirm that will not load beyond the opening warning and company logo screen, hangs up on a blank screen and will not go further. It's an Image title.
post #108 of 196 Old 02-17-2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfitz View Post

This exact thing happens to me too.

Also, when watching regular DVD's, I'll get 1/4 second freezes occasionally at chapter changes, and somtimes the picture just goes black for a second come back for a few and repeat this several times. I use a new HDMI cable and have used it on 3 different slots on my TV with the same results. Anyone else have this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCeditor View Post

Unplug the unit for 30 seconds and then try it again. You may well have a pleasant surprise.

BR players are computers. Updating most applications on a computer requires a reboot.

On my 2510 the update did not cause a lock up but it didn't so any good either - until I hard rebooted the player. After that it played perfectly, including discs it wouldn't play prior to the update.

I did. I completed unplugged it from the power strip and plugged it directly into the wall to no avail. It's been returned. It's been nothing but a hassle.
post #109 of 196 Old 02-17-2009, 05:31 PM

I imagine the seller I bought that one copy of FYEO from would have some more from the same batch left. Next time I go to a Bond forum or HTF I'll look and see if anyone knows anything. My guess is that there's more like mine out there, but that the only people likely to be looking are astute memorex owners.
post #110 of 196 Old 02-18-2009, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I imagine the seller I bought that one copy of FYEO from would have some more from the same batch left. Next time I go to a Bond forum or HTF I'll look and see if anyone knows anything. My guess is that there's more like mine out there, but that the only people likely to be looking are astute memorex owners.

Apparently there's going to be a firmware fix because someone on the 2510 forum got an email back that there should be another update to address the FYEO problem by the end of the month. FYEO has been a problematic title for numerous other BD players and even the pressing I have CAN play, provided they give us a fix.
post #111 of 196 Old 02-18-2009, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Question on the MKV files -- can they be played back on a disc, or just via a USB external HD?
post #112 of 196 Old 02-20-2009, 05:25 AM

Rented "Max Paine" on Blu ray, played without any problems. This was the disc that started me off on the firmware upgrade quest. It is a 20th century Fox film so I am not sure if all Fox films will play now without issue.
post #113 of 196 Old 02-21-2009, 11:46 AM

Can you guys share the upscaling performance of this Memorex? I have lots of DVD movies and am looking for a Bluray with good upscaling capabilities.

I have a 73" 1080p DLP TV so resolution matters.

Thanks for helping.
post #114 of 196 Old 02-21-2009, 05:55 PM

I'm not sure exactly how to define the upscaling performance, but I can try. Blu-rays with reps of being a bit too similar to their DVD counterparts do in fact look about the same as the BDs. Home Alone BD looks like the FF DVD. Robocop BD largely looks the same as the DVD aside from certain things in certain scenes(Murphy's bulletproof vest looking smoother and more detailed), Terminator looks slightly better, you get the idea. I'm using a 50" 720P px80U Panasonic Plasma, and I think the way DVD looks depends a lot on the TV you're using.

On my TV, whether I'm using this player or my Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player, DVDs often look blurry, blocky, and washed out when compared to legit Hi-Def material that looks better then DVD quality. Some DVDs look decent like Attack of the Clones, Sith, FYEO, and V for Vendetta. The BDs for the latter two titles are still significantly better though. Something like Battle for the Planet of the Apes looks quite a bit more washed out on the '06 DVD when compared to the BD.

So, all I can really say is that the upscaling of some titles gets them real close to the DVD, and on better quality BDs, there is a much bigger difference in quality.
post #115 of 196 Old 02-23-2009, 07:04 AM

Rented "Prince Caspian" Blu ray, took a little longer than I have become used to in loading, but once loaded played without any problem.

Also bought "Space Cowboys" Blu ray as I love the black & white opening with the X-2 aircraft and Team Daedalus. The funny thing was "Space Cowboys" came with an insert dated 2007 that a software or firmware upgrade might be necessary to play the disc. In fact, the disc loaded faster than any other Blu-ray disc I have played in the Memorex 2511 so far.

To address "toffee" and the upscaling abiliry of the Memorex 2511, I think it is excellent, but I think that is because of the Sigma chip this unit uses. It will always depend on the source material used.
post #116 of 196 Old 02-23-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:

I had this same thing happen, is there something I can do to fix it, or do I just have to call memorex?
post #117 of 196 Old 02-27-2009, 05:13 AM

Played the new Blu ray Futurama "Into the Wild Green Yonder" last night, took a little longer than "normal" to load, but with the firmware upgrade played without any problems.

As a Fox title, I was a little worried from previous posts, so far however the upgrade has played everything I have tried.

To me, this has turned out being the best $99.00, 1.1 Blu-ray player out there.
post #118 of 196 Old 02-28-2009, 01:12 PM

Rented Blu-ray of the Norton version of "The Incredible Hulk" played without a problem.

Something funny though, on the Blu-ray copy of "Iron Man" and this version of "The Incredible Hulk", when they were loading they both caused a buzzing noise from the player. I suspect the discs are rotating so quickly that they are fluttering causing this noise. During the actual playing of the Disc the sound goes away. If anyone has had a similar experience please comment.
post #119 of 196 Old 03-14-2009, 09:47 AM

Received in the mail yesterday, Friday 13, 2009 an update disc for a Memorex 2510 from Fox International, the outsource firm that does customer support for Memorex.

Will be offering it for free on the Memorex 2510 board.
post #120 of 196 Old 03-24-2009, 11:44 AM

I burnt two mkv files to a dvd-r as a data disc. It said the disc was "ISO" and played them after showing the directories. The video was quite comparable to actual new release blu ray discs, but there was no sound or chapters. I tried playing flac files, that didn't work. These were 1.3 gig files. I'm gonna try some different mkvs in the next few days.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page