Memorex MVBD2511 Blu-ray player thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 196 Old 11-11-2009, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, apparently, the MVBD-2520 is $99 this week in Target B&M stores. I was planning on getting an el-cheapo BD player for my folks as a Chrismukkah present, but this thread makes it sound like I should wait until a BF deal on a more reliable brand, even if it's ~$150.

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

Best. Surge Protector. Ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 196 Old 11-13-2009, 01:05 PM

I tried it with two CDs, tried it with a USB drive, tried reinstalling, no go. Now you can only play DVDs. Called Memorex support and the guy has no clue, is insisting they send a firmware disc with the side b on it because he says the one online doesn't work but it works when they send it. I asked him why they put the file up on the site then? Of course he has no answer. It should be two weeks before I even get the CD and at that point I will just let them know it doesn't work and get the newer unit that hopefully will work. If anyone has any way they have seen to actually install disc b consistently please post it.
post #183 of 196 Old 11-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlacklow View Post

Well, apparently, the MVBD-2520 is $99 this week in Target B&M stores. I was planning on getting an el-cheapo BD player for my folks as a Chrismukkah present, but this thread makes it sound like I should wait until a BF deal on a more reliable brand, even if it's ~$150.

Try to find the cheapest player than get's regular updates. Memorex doesn't seem to care about keeping the players updated and I think most of the original owner's of the Blu-ray player have moved onto another player.
post #184 of 196 Old 11-13-2009, 06:12 PM

Thanks for posting jazz...I see I'm in the same boat. It took me awhile to figure it out though because I use Netflix and don't actually have a disc to use as a test. But wasting another rental I now see I cannot play the new different movie/disc either. I too called Memorex and they are going to send me the firmware disc as well (which I doubt will do anything).

I actually rented a disc that wasn't working so that is what prompted me to upgrade my firmware in the first place. I had the old firmware on hand so I just downgraded it, however my new movie is still not working for me This is not how I expected to waste $120 (for 9 months of a decent player)...I guess I'll end up trying to get it replaced, but I think I'll also be looking for a new "real" player for the holidays. I never had much trouble w/ the no-name DVD players, but the low-end BR players I think I will stay away from from now on!
post #185 of 196 Old 11-17-2009, 06:32 PM

So my firmware disc arrived and it was the version from back in January (which I already tried). So I ran the disc anyway, but it kept locking up a lot...after a few tries it finally downgraded my firmware. And of course my problem continued. I bought a couple more blu-ray discs to try and none of them worked.

I called support and they had me fax my receipt and are going to send me further instructions on getting a pre-paid label to send the thing back to fix/replace. But in the meantime after all my frustration I ended up buying a real player "Samsung BDP-1600". Sure enough all my discs work great and the player is fast (and awesomely better). Hopefully Memorex fixes my other player quickly and I can use it on my other TV. Good luck to all out there with the same problem!
post #186 of 196 Old 11-18-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrumc View Post

Try to find the cheapest player than get's regular updates. Memorex doesn't seem to care about keeping the players updated and I think most of the original owner's of the Blu-ray player have moved onto another player.

Once again, all of the negatives seem to be regarding previous Memorex players and not the 2520. I've seen statements that Blue-Ray Live didn't work on this player, etc. all untrue.

I picked up the $99 deal for the Memorex 2520 at Target and haven't found anything to complain about. I purchased the new Star Trek movie yesterday and the Live features work just fine.

Target has the price back up to $149 but for $99 I'm very happy with the purchase...

Edit:
Upon reflection I'm not so happy!

I've since returned the Memorex 2520. I had problems with drop-outs during BR playback and the remote was unresponsive at times. As I mention in a message below, I upgraded and for $30 more got the Sony S360.
post #187 of 196 Old 11-19-2009, 09:28 AM

Yes, this is the thread for mvbd2511. I'm glad to hear though the 2520 works well. They are sending me a return shipment label, maybe I'll be lucky and instead of trying to fix replace my 2511 they will just give me the 2520 and save us all some trouble.
post #188 of 196 Old 12-03-2009, 05:47 PM

They don't have the 2511 in inventory anymore. They called me to offer me a replacement. "sir would you like a refurbished 2510 or a brand new 2520". "Hmm, I think I'll take the 2520."

Oddly, I don't see much on their site for support on the 2520. I couldn't even find a picture of the rear of the unit. I was curious because I hear it's a profile 2.0, but some conflicting stuff on the Net says it does not come with an Ethernet port. But sounds like to be 2.0 it'd have too. Anyway guess I'll find out in 5-10 business days.
post #189 of 196 Old 12-04-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvn97 View Post

They don't have the 2511 in inventory anymore. They called me to offer me a replacement. "sir would you like a refurbished 2510 or a brand new 2520". "Hmm, I think I'll take the 2520."

Oddly, I don't see much on their site for support on the 2520. I couldn't even find a picture of the rear of the unit. I was curious because I hear it's a profile 2.0, but some conflicting stuff on the Net says it does not come with an Ethernet port. But sounds like to be 2.0 it'd have too. Anyway guess I'll find out in 5-10 business days.

After a week I dumped the 2520. I had problems watching the Blu-Ray version of the new Star Trek, the remote was quirky, and as you point out the user support is lacking to say the least!

I returned the Memorex to Target and tried to upgrade to the Sony S360 which was $199 and was listed on their website for $129. Target wouldn't honor the website price (crazy huh!) so I had them refund the player. Took the ride over to Best Buy and purchased the Sony. Best return I've ever made!

I'm sorry for my previous post...this version of the Memorex BR player doesn't look much better than the last...
post #190 of 196 Old 01-10-2010, 07:19 PM

I came to this thread because I turned out to have the same bricked 2511 problem as many others in this thread. Out of frustration, I opened up the player and discovered that the actual drive is a SATA drive. I removed it and connected it to my HTPC and it spins right up. It identifies itself as a SUNEXT V8204 (number is from memory, will double check later). I'm a Linux user, but I fired up my Windows 7 VM and using AnyDVD HD, I am able to play and rip all my Bluray discs on my HTPC using the drive out of the 2511.

There are a couple limitations, though. First, the Sunext drive is about 1/4" too wide to fit into a standard 5-1/4" drive bay, meaning it it currecntly hanging out the side of my case until I fab up some better cabling. Second, there is no eject button, meaning you have to rely on OS commands to eject the tray. Third, there is no built-in LED so you have to go without a visual read indicator.

But all this got me thinking about what else might be possible. Sunext is now owned by Broadcom, so it might be possible to obtain flash firmware updates for this hardware. In fact, the "Disc A" firmware update from Memorex includes an sh script which seems to do the work. I have glanced over it quickly but I'm not sure I am qualified to determine whether it would be possible to use it to update firmware in a non-OEM environment.

I also started wondering what other components inside the 2511 might be usable on an HTPC. The first thing I thought of was the VFD. I haven't removed it yet to check on the chipset, but from initial inspection, it looks like it's a serial connection to the mobo. If anyone's interested, I can post pics. I'd like to see who else is interested in gutting a 2511 and playing with the pieces. Maybe we can put these paperweights to good use!
post #191 of 196 Old 01-10-2010, 09:32 PM

So I removed the VFD. It looks like it's being driven by a PT6311-LQ chip, which I can't find explicit support for in lcdproc. It does look like it would be a perfect display for an HTPC, however, if it could be made to work. It has a 6-pin connector that I believe is serial. I found a datasheet for the PT6311 here:

http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/data...3/PT6311.shtml

I took a couple photos of the VFD module. Click through for full-res versions:

Anyone have any ideas on this?
post #192 of 196 Old 01-16-2010, 11:40 AM

Liked: 15
I was out of town for a long time over the holidays, and unplugged all my electronics as I always do. Well, last night, I went to play a Blu-Ray for the first time since I got back, and the player couldn't read the damn disc. I guess having it unplugged allowed the faulty loader to finally install, or something like that. I don't really care why it doesn't work at this point. Like others, dvds work fine, as well as external files, but none of my BDs will load.

In case anyone hasn't learned this lesson already, sell or return your Memorex players while you still can.
post #193 of 196 Old 04-04-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I bought this player for my parents two Christmases ago. They've rarely used it, but picked up a rental of "The Blind Side" on Friday. Damn thing wouldn't load. I tried the firmware update, but couldn't even get Disc A to do it's think. It just sat there forever saying something like "Loading disc".

Grr, gonna pull the drive and use it in the HTPC.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #194 of 196 Old 04-12-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I finally got the update to work. I put the 4 files of "Disc A" on a USB stick, and updated the firmware that way.

The "Disc B" file wouldn't work via USB, so I had to burn it to a CD-R. The first time, I used the built-in Windows CD-burning software, and it didn't work. I then used Nero, burned a Data Disc, named it "Disc B", and finalized the disc. That worked like a charm.

The player is now working again, playing BD's and Xvid's via USB.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #195 of 196 Old 04-30-2010, 08:02 PM

I realize that this is officially a MVBD2511 thread but seems others here, like me, have acquired the newer, crappier version 2520.

Memorex emailed to alert me that there's a F/W update for this atrocious unit. Mine's sitting in a box in the closet so I haven't applied the update but you can find it here.
post #196 of 196 Old 04-22-2011, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I'm cleaning out my old equipment. I have a Memorex 2510 that never gave me any trouble. I just tested it with titles I had to get fw upgrades for with my Pioneer BPD-51 and all played great. (Star Trek, Avatar, Firefly). My problem is... who the heck would want it? Who would pay even $20 for it? Plus shipping? I don't think so. Need I remind anyone... no fw update since 9/09! But it still plays recent stuff. Goodwill? Electronic waste? Suggestions?

Oh, BTW.. it also plays The King's Speech.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page