Three new Blu-ray players from Panasonic: BD60, BD80 and BD70V - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 402 Old 05-27-2009, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
BD60 is $249 at Best Buy and I picked one up today. I'll decide if it buys me any better PQ and AQ over the BD30 I have. Time will tell.

I have to tell you though the BD30 has been one of my better electronics purchases to date. Basically flawless operation!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 402 Old 05-27-2009, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathwish238 View Post

I have an older receiver as well, a Denon AVR-3805. Upgrading to any Denon costing less than $1000 would have been a downgrade in sq so I opted to spend $100 more on a Blu-ray player with analog outputs instead. Your receiver has to have analog inputs, which it probably does.

I've been quite pleased with my Panasonic BD55k.

If your receiver has room correction/EQ technology, mostly likely the analog inputs bypass this functionality. Basically ANY DSP function will not be applied, unless you have a higher-end receiver that digitizes the analog inputs so it can apply processing.
post #393 of 402 Old 05-28-2009, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Grabbed a BD605 from Costco for $229....so far I'm amazed, it is my first Blu Ray coming from the A3 HD-DVD. PQ and SQ are performing above my expectations!

Xbox GT: LENNY 2112
post #394 of 402 Old 05-28-2009, 06:39 AM

i amlooking at getting the bd-60 . i have the hd a2 dvd . i read that you said the pq and sound . better than your a3 . is up convert also better as well?i am using optical now is that better as well / your thoughts thanks...
post #395 of 402 Old 05-28-2009, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I was running HDMI to my Z5 and optical out on my A3 and also on the BD60. For the first time in my A/V life my wife said, "Wow, the surround sound is so much better, I really notice a difference". Everything is deep, rich, and clear through my 7.1 receiver. I'm loving it.

Xbox GT: LENNY 2112
post #396 of 402 Old 05-28-2009, 02:08 PM

thanks , i was hoping to hear good results on the audio on the bd60 per optical my a2 is ok . but not great is the LFE.sub pretty good as well. and is your upconverting better on the the bd60. than the hd a3 thanks...
post #397 of 402 Old 05-29-2009, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbags View Post

thanks , i was hoping to hear good results on the audio on the bd60 per optical my a2 is ok . but not great is the LFE.sub pretty good as well. and is your upconverting better on the the bd60. than the hd a3 thanks...

Well I took the plunge and I've been trying SD DVD upconversion the last few days with this player. This player kills the BD30 which I also own and is my biggest gripe about that player.

As far as BD playback, I would not say the BD60 slaughters the BD30 for that. It is better but marginally.

I'll keep testing this the next few weeks. Best Buy has a 30 day return policy so we'll see. So far so good though.
post #398 of 402 Old 06-04-2009, 04:40 AM

Hopefully some of you tech guru's could offer me some advice. I was debating between the BD60 and BD80 and after reading countless hours of blogs I could not come up with many differences other than 7.1 and "High clarity audio". Either way I'm going get the 80 just in case it offers better performance and maybe future proof me a bit with the 7.1 option. Price is not a concern in this particular decision.

My question is mainly about setting everything up though but feel free to comment on whether I should go the 60 or 80 as i will be ordering in the next couple days.

Here is my setup.

Panasonic 54V10 Plasma
Panasonic BD80 BR Player
Panasonic SA-BX500 Receiver
Xbox 360
Aperion Speakers

In general is it best to connect all those devices directly to the TV via HDMI and then an optical cable back to the receiver to get sound? Or should I hook all to the BX500 receiver and 1 HDMI to the TV? Are their picture and sounds advantages to either? My thought was if I connect all to the TV then I don't have to turn the receiver on all the time if my wife simply wants to watch TV.

I apologize in advance for such an amateur question but if someone could reply and why that would be great.

This site is a fantastic resource! It's become my go to source to read about various electronics.
post #399 of 402 Old 06-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkorovilas View Post

Hopefully some of you tech guru's could offer me some advice. I was debating between the BD60 and BD80 and after reading countless hours of blogs I could not come up with many differences other than 7.1 and "High clarity audio". Either way I'm going get the 80 just in case it offers better performance and maybe future proof me a bit with the 7.1 option. Price is not a concern in this particular decision.

The BD80 is only about $65 more than the BD60 on Amazon, that's worth the peace of mind. (I personally need the analog outputs for my old 1014TX reciever so I can play with HD audio)

Quote:

My question is mainly about setting everything up though but feel free to comment on whether I should go the 60 or 80 as i will be ordering in the next couple days.

Here is my setup.

Panasonic 54V10 Plasma
Panasonic BD80 BR Player
Xbox 360
Aperion Speakers

In general is it best to connect all those devices directly to the TV via HDMI and then an optical cable back to the receiver to get sound? Or should I hook all to the BX500 receiver and 1 HDMI to the TV? Are their picture and sounds advantages to either? My thought was if I connect all to the TV then I don't have to turn the receiver on all the time if my wife simply wants to watch TV.

I apologize in advance for such an amateur question but if someone could reply and why that would be great.

This site is a fantastic resource! It's become my go to source to read about various electronics.

I'd plug everything to the reciever for convenience, then just set up a Harmony remote so my wife only needs to press one button. Actually, that's what I've done.
post #400 of 402 Old 06-21-2009, 10:54 AM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Here is my setup.

Panasonic 54V10 Plasma
Panasonic BD80 BR Player
Xbox 360
Aperion Speakers

It's simple since your receiver supports HDMI 1.3: get the BD60 since the only real benefit of the BD80 over the BD60 is the 7.1a out, which you won't be using anyway.

Quote:

Connect everything to you receiver using HDMI (assuming your XBOX is also HDMI; otherwise connect the XBOX to your receiver using optical and component cable), so you need a single cable from your receiver to your television. If you want to make your and your wife's life easier, invest the money you safe with the BluRay player in a Logitech Harmony remote (personally I like the One or 880).
post #401 of 402 Old 06-21-2009, 11:33 AM

Am I correct in assuming the internet access capability of the BD-80 is completely useless without a Viera capable Panny TV set to go with it?
post #402 of 402 Old 06-21-2009, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by grafxman View Post

Am I correct in assuming the internet access capability of the BD-80 is completely useless without a Viera capable Panny TV set to go with it?

You are not correct. The Viera Link is what is dependent on the make of TV set, not Viera Cast.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page