post #451 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

where the 09 will be streets ahead than the oppo is in the power supplies, dac implementation and analog output stage if that on the previous oppo 983 is anything to go by.

the 09 also has ofcourse the pqls system if using with a pio avr for jitter free cd and hd audio.

also what the pio has goign for it is a certain panache in its styling, build and fit and finish, the oppo again going on the previous 983 is still got the look feel of a "tarted up" budget player.

the oppo ofcourse has universal play of sacd/dvda going for it but I for one was a tad underwhelmed by the 983 in that regard so not sure that is such a major plus.

the main factor the pio has in advantage over the oppo is ofcourse that it is already out and in peoples hands and appears to be a pretty solid piece. and the pio does come as a 4th gen BD player vs oppos which will be its first born for not only a BD player but a universal player with who knows what suprises when combining all that in the one machine and has a reputation still to build in this realm.

price isnt the most important thing either.quite a few people are happy to pay a bit more for build quality and fit an finish these days. some pity for those I've even seen keen even to pay $3-4k if someone would put the oppo inside an upmarket brands box and brand name on it !

one thing for sure the pio will be surpased at some stage, its inevitable as with previous models before it. leaves me wondering what pio would do after the 09. well I guess time will tell, will jsut have to wait and see !

I noticed you only made one post in the Oppo thread so perhaps you weren't aware of the following concerning the Oppo BDP-83 player:

"For SACD playback, the BDP-83 supports direct DSD over HDMI and DSD-to-analog without any PCM conversion, a very unique feature."

http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...ersal_blu_ray/

I'm not aware of too many DAC's that can take DSD directly so I believe this is at least a significant upgrade over what's in the 983 DVD player.

Concerning comparing the 09 player to the upcoming Oppo, I'd imagine the PQ battle will be a lot closer as the ABT VRS solution is more well known and revered compared to the Marvell Qdeo. The Oppo BD player has the best DVD player's post processor as its lineage at worst!

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
So Friday we decided to make it a Grindhouse night with Planet Terror and Death Proof. I know they were made to look like a cheesey drive in or cinema flick but they looked awesome. The amount of details you could see. Even though it was very gory and you really didn't want to see! My guests on Friday were blown away and kept saying how this is so much better than actually going to the movies! They said even the sound is much better. Saturday we started the night with a kid's movie. The new Open Season 2. It looked incredible. I know most animations look great but I didn't hear any kids talking through out the entire movie. Their jaws were on the floor. Then they went to the playroom while the adults watched Mirrors. I seriously suggest watching this one in a completely darkened room. The black levels were excellent and the noises will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up! It was eerie to say the least. The 09FD had a great weekend. It took MVP honors. I am planning to show a few guests some demo material before the game today but other than that it will have the rest of the day off. It deserves it.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #453 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post

Concerning comparing the 09 player to the upcoming Oppo, I'd imagine the PQ battle will be a lot closer as the ABT VRS solution is more well known and revered compared to the Marvell Qdeo. The Oppo BD player has the best DVD player's post processor as its lineage at worst!

I probably would favor the Oppo over the 09, as I basically need a transport. However, the Marvell Qdeo has some potential advantages over the ABT2010 in that it incorporates full video noise reduction capability (whereas the ABT 2010 really doesn't provide much other than rather mediocre MNR).
post #454 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

I probably would favor the Oppo over the 09, as I basically need a transport. However, the Marvell Qdeo has some potential advantages over the ABT2010 in that it incorporates full video noise reduction capability (whereas the ABT 2010 really doesn't provide much other than rather mediocre MNR).

Yes, I've heard the same said concerning MNR on the ABT 2010. This may be important for some and not even a bullet point for others (ie. video purists). I'm glad the Realta in my Denon 3800 is first rate for MNR in that the image is not negatively affected (clayface, loss of detail, etc.).

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #455 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

So Friday we decided to make it a Grindhouse night with Planet Terror and Death Proof. I know they were made to look like a cheesey drive in or cinema flick but they looked awesome. The amount of details you could see. Even though it was very gory and you really didn't want to see! My guests on Friday were blown away and kept saying how this is so much better than actually going to the movies! They said even the sound is much better. Saturday we started the night with a kid's movie. The new Open Season 2. It looked incredible. I know most animations look great but I didn't hear any kids talking through out the entire movie. Their jaws were on the floor. Then they went to the playroom while the adults watched Mirrors. I seriously suggest watching this one in a completely darkened room. The black levels were excellent and the noises will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up! It was eerie to say the least. The 09FD had a great weekend. It took MVP honors. I am planning to show a few guests some demo material before the game today but other than that it will have the rest of the day off. It deserves it.

Good for you! A far cry from your earlier 05/51 experience, although latest firmware probably negates those issues now (and the 09 obviously benefits from a later arrival due to newer firmware).

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #456 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Good stuff Joe. Good stuff.

Your 09 needs some kind of gift. Perhaps finding a way to plug in a female RCA cable into it?
post #457 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 343
I have to raise this yet again - has or can anyone compared the 09's PQ directly to the 05/51's?

I know joerod's had the 51 but not sure he still has it. Although he acknowledged this, I don't think he's yet commented on a comparison. I'm not concerned about differences in disc playback & load times, just PQ.

Can anyone address this important question for existing 05/51 owners?

ss9001

Steve
post #458 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I've chatted with Joe regarding the 51 and he feels the new 09 produces a better image than the 05/51 & I may be able to do this comparison my self soon.
post #459 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I am looking forward to how this one compares to the bdp-09fd.....>
http://www.*********************/images/pdf/BDP-23FD.pdf
post #460 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Glover View Post

...& I may be able to do this comparison my self soon.

That would be great! Thanks
The more consensus there is from multiple comparisons, the more we can trust that differences are real & clearly observable

I remain cautiously optimistic but still cautious after the 51/05 launch

ss9001

Steve
post #461 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson View Post

I am looking forward to how this one compares to the bdp-09fd.....>
http://www.*********************/images/pdf/BDP-23FD.pdf

Me too. This could be a great player, minus all the high-end analog stuff and the extremely heavy build of the 09...we shall see!

Go Celtics!
post #462 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Im sure the OPPO will be a fine unit , but i bet both PQ and SQ wont compare to the 09. Your talking about 500 dollars worth of components and 2200 dollars worth of components. The pioneer 16bit upsample is where the OPPO falls shorts. It wont do that.

Those who are purists with their bluray movies and want exactly whats on disc will look at the oppo which my PS3 probably does the same. But those who want a even better PQ from Bluray will probably go for the Pioneer.

- Independent Dreams - IDStudios
post #463 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddgsx View Post

Im sure the OPPO will be a fine unit , but i bet both PQ and SQ wont compare to the 09. Your talking about 500 dollars worth of components and 2200 dollars worth of components. The pioneer 16bit upsample is where the OPPO falls shorts. It wont do that.

Those who are purists with their bluray movies and want exactly whats on disc will look at the oppo which my PS3 probably does the same. But those who want a even better PQ from Bluray will probably go for the Pioneer.

That sounds pretty reasonable.

The sd dvd performance differences is what will likely swing me to a player.
post #464 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Is it 16 bit or 36 bit?

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #465 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ View Post

Is it 16 bit or 36 bit?

4:4:4 RGB
16bits:16:16 = 48bits total

Even though no comercial display can fully output 48bits , they can still take in all the information and utilize it better than just at 4:2:0 ecoded on a bluray

post #466 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson View Post

That sounds pretty reasonable.

The sd dvd performance differences is what will likely swing me to a player.

Both will shine at SD DVD performance , only the pioneer will apply 4:4:4 to it. Cpcat mentioned that the qedo has some more features for noise reduction ,

post #467 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 10:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:

joerod,

It is good for Me to see that a person like yourself with a lot of Experience under Their belt is enjoying Their (Decision) as You are.

Terry
post #468 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

4:4:4 RGB
16bits:16:16 = 48bits total

Even though no comercial display can fully output 48bits , they can still take in all the information and utilize it better than just at 4:2:0 ecoded on a bluray

Ah. Thanks for that clarification.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #469 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Remember: no non-MSRP pricing talk.

I keep seeing this, but haven't seen an explanation for the rule.

In a market-driven, free society, wouldn't it be to the benefit of the consumers on these forums to be able to compare prices?

Enforcing price controls has been repeatedly found to be an illegal restraint of trade.
post #470 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

where the 09 will be streets ahead than the oppo is in the power supplies, dac implementation and analog output stage if that on the previous oppo 983 is anything to go by

exactly. Notice the large torroid power-supplies in the BDP-09FD, the type of approach used in more high-end electronics. Also has ridgid mechanical design using aluminum and steel.
post #471 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

exactly. Notice the large torroid power-supplies in the BDP-09FD, the type of approach used in more high-end electronics. Also has ridgid mechanical design using aluminum and steel.

Also i heard that the actual drive tray is a bluray WRITER , not a reader. It doent write bluray movies but i heard that it being a writer driver is alot better mechanically. I heard it from here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EJHL8l9rvs

post #472 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Joerod , is this gonna be your last bluray player for awhile? I dont think anything this quality or better will be out till 2010 with probably slight improvements. This player now seems like a giant leap.

Although i hear that Qedo has a MONSTER video processor coming out mid to late 09 that will be expensive but provide video processing that will be jaw dropping.

post #473 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 11:14 AM

Well I tool the plunge and ordered mine today . should get it in a around a week .. I cant wait .. will be going from a bdp-s1 which by the way has not given me a bit of problem . I think i stopped on firmware 2 something and havent had a problem playing anything . my theory is if its playing dont update it leave it alone . it will become my living room player.. I have been waiting for the player for a while now and with all the good reviews its on its way.

keep up all the good work in here
post #474 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Probably more than likely the 09FD will be my starter for awhile. And again to answer the 51/05 question... Yes, I still have a 51 in my bedroom. Yes, I did compare it. And yes the 09 is superior in every aspect including pic Q. Maybe its because the 09 uses copper screws. Either way the 09 is the best player I have had in my set up to date...

post #475 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Oh and congrats funwithstereos.

post #476 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Probably more than likely the 09FD will be my starter for awhile. And again to answer the 51/05 question... Yes, I still have a 51 in my bedroom. Yes, I did compare it. And yes the 09 is superior in every aspect including pic Q. Maybe its because the 09 uses copper screws. Either way the 09 is the best player I have had in my set up to date...

Thanks for the confirmation, joerod
And copper screws always make a difference - all the best gear has them

ss9001

Steve
post #477 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 11:59 AM

Actually copper screws do make a difference as they ground the boards better than tin screws. The BDP-51FD uses tin screws and the BDP-05FD has copper screws.

-Robert
post #478 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

Actually copper screws do make a difference as they ground the boards better than tin screws. The BDP-51FD uses tin screws and the BDP-05FD has copper screws.

-Robert

Rob , is it ok if i drive over now and crash at your shop till the 09 comes in? I can sleep outside , just leave a movie playing for me bro
I cant wait any longer ,

post #479 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

-Robert

Robert,
I was being a little facetious for joerod, but I actually agree that they do make difference. That's why Elite receivers & players always had lots of copper shielding & copper screws, copper chassis components. It was Pioneer's trademark that the Elites had higher performance.

ss9001

Steve
post #480 of 8651 Old 02-01-2009, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I have Peter Nelson , who is a real good ISF Tech here in CT coming by to do an ISF calibration on my 141 using the 09FD on FRI.

http://www.attunedservices.com/

Ill let everyone know the outcome , Peter Nelson is a perfectionist. He will calibrate until he is happy and satified himself that ones display is as best as it can be.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Pioneer , Blu Ray Players , Sony , Pioneer Bdp 09fd Elite Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page