3Likes

post #7951 of 8617 Old 05-08-2011, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoChe View Post

If your firmware is up to date, it's most likely your disc drive going out. They'll replace it and it will be back to normal after the repair. I'm not sure how much it will cost though. My repair was done under warranty.

I wish it was under warranty. I bought mine the week it came out. The firmware was up to date. That being said I did not have any problems until 2.71

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7952 of 8617 Old 05-08-2011, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Old Time Audio, Do you mind if I ask where you took it for repair? I also live in Denver metro area and it would be good to know if (when) I need to have this issue serviced, where a good, local service center is. Thanks
post #7953 of 8617 Old 05-08-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECS01 View Post

Old Time Audio, Do you mind if I ask where you took it for repair? I also live in Denver metro area and it would be good to know if (when) I need to have this issue serviced, where a good, local service center is. Thanks

I bought it at Listen Up and took it there for repair. Will leave further comments about Listen Up to myself.

Dave
post #7954 of 8617 Old 05-08-2011, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECS01 View Post

I would just send it to Pioneer for repair. If it is not under warranty, they will bill you.
post #7955 of 8617 Old 05-08-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoChe View Post

I would just send it to Pioneer for repair. If it is not under warranty, they will bill you.

I wanted to avoid the cost of shipping, trying to repair it on a budget.

Dave
post #7956 of 8617 Old 05-09-2011, 07:56 AM

Liked: 13
O.T.A. I understand - I've dealt with them myself in the past. I hope they get it properly fixed for you. Thanks for the info.
post #7957 of 8617 Old 05-15-2011, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I've gotten 'won't play' error messages on Black Death (2 different disks; both brand new)...anyone else have a problem with that disk, or is my drive starting to crap out.....

"I am determined to be cheerful & happy in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions & not upon our circumstances."
Martha Washington
post #7958 of 8617 Old 05-16-2011, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider View Post

I've gotten 'won't play' error messages on Black Death (2 different disks; both brand new)...anyone else have a problem with that disk, or is my drive starting to crap out.....

...anyone...??

"I am determined to be cheerful & happy in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions & not upon our circumstances."
Martha Washington
post #7959 of 8617 Old 05-19-2011, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My player is out of warranty and I started getting the "Can't play, unknown disc" message occassionally a couple of months ago. I would reload the disc and it would work. Now I can't play any BDs and will have to send it in for service. I wish it was not a ship to Pioneer situation considering the size and weight. DVDs work fine btw...

Has anybody had a local dealer repair it onsite?

Thanks!

Fred
post #7960 of 8617 Old 05-19-2011, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No one has rented/bought Black Death...???

Martha Washington
post #7961 of 8617 Old 05-19-2011, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

No one has rented/bought Black Death...???

I can tell you from experience it's the beginning of the drive dying on you. At first it was just "Justified", now it's every BD I try to play.....
post #7962 of 8617 Old 05-20-2011, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfred View Post

My player is out of warranty and I started getting the "Can't play, unknown disc" message occassionally a couple of months ago. I would reload the disc and it would work. Now I can't play any BDs and will have to send it in for service. I wish it was not a ship to Pioneer situation considering the size and weight. DVDs work fine btw...

Has anybody had a local dealer repair it onsite?

Thanks!

Fred

I'm not that technical, so I'll ask this: if DVDs are no problem, then could it be some circuit board attached to the drive as opposed to the physical drive mechanism itself? Something that now doesn't interpret/recognize BD coding?
post #7963 of 8617 Old 05-21-2011, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfred View Post

I can tell you from experience it's the beginning of the drive dying on you. At first it was just "Justified", now it's every BD I try to play.....

Looks like you're right....3rd title didn't play tonite (played on 3rd try; 1st 2 times gave error messages). Seems to be something with initializing play; once BDs start playing there's no problem with playing, navigation or any other functions.

You can tell when it's not going to recognize a disk: there's an audible disk-search sound that repeats every few seconds, then it gives up after about a dozen tries and gives the error message.

What a pisser.....

Martha Washington
post #7964 of 8617 Old 05-21-2011, 02:42 AM

(1) Has any BDP-09FD ever needed factory service for something other than "UNKNOWNDISC" / "CAN'T PLAY" problems with a few (possibly progressing to many/all) BDs?

(2) When inserting/removing discs, how would you describe the amount of VERTICAL tray wobble/wiggle?

I ask (1) because the only unresolved problems throughout this forum seem to be "UNKNOWNDISC" / "CAN'T PLAY" problems with a few (possibly progressing to many/all) BDs.

I ask (2) wondering if PDB-09FDs with VERTICAL tray wobble are more likely to develop "UNKNOWNDISC" / "CAN'T PLAY" problems.
post #7965 of 8617 Old 05-28-2011, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I am thinking of buying a used 09. Not sure how many hours on it.
Is the 09 reliable and worth buying used?
Good idea or bad?
post #7966 of 8617 Old 05-28-2011, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

I am thinking of buying a used 09. Not sure how many hours on it.
Is the 09 reliable and worth buying used?
Good idea or bad?

For hi quality analog output and a $300-$400 price, consider it. Make sure you have a warranty. If you'll use HDMI, avoid it as others will do as well or better and be faster and more reliable. Know there have been a lot of unplayable discs and drive failures.

Like my Denon 3800, priced the same, I like it but as it is slow and dated like the 09, i wouldn't recommend buying it.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #7967 of 8617 Old 05-28-2011, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
hey everyone,

couple quick questions;

does anyone know where to find one of these still brand new in box?

and if I were able to do that, would it be worth it? or would I be better to go with something like the cambridge audio 751 or the oppo 95?

thanks for your thoughts and opinions and comments.
post #7968 of 8617 Old 05-28-2011, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

For hi quality analog output and a $300-$400 price, consider it. Make sure you have a warranty. If you'll use HDMI, avoid it as others will do as well or better and be faster and more reliable. Know there have been a lot of unplayable discs and drive failures.

Like my Denon 3800, priced the same, I like it but as it is slow and dated like the 09, i wouldn't recommend buying it.

Thanks for the advice, I have noticed on here mention of drive failures.
I guess only new and with a warranty then.
I am looking for a superior DVD upscaler deck. Any suggestions. I am covered with Blu-ray, just would like a unit that does DVD up converting that looks better than there toy machines out now.
post #7969 of 8617 Old 05-28-2011, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You interested in selling your Denon 3800ci?
post #7970 of 8617 Old 05-28-2011, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You interested in selling your Denon 3800ci?

Nah.. It works and likely the drive will fail at some point like the other players of this era - then you're stuck. Are you looking to use analog outputs?

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #7971 of 8617 Old 05-28-2011, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nah.. It works and likely the drive will fail at some point like the other players of this era - then you're stuck. Are you looking to use analog outputs?
No not analog, I will be using HDMI. Whats good for up-converting? I have the Oppo 93 but I am not all that happy with its upscaling. Its a bit grainy.
Looking for a high end DVD player that is a couple of years old so I can afford it.
post #7972 of 8617 Old 05-28-2011, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
No not analog, I will be using HDMI. Whats good for up-converting? I have the Oppo 93 but I am not all that happy with its upscaling. Its a bit grainy.
Looking for a high end DVD player that is a couple of years old so I can afford it.
Upscaling in the 09 and 3800 is very, very good. But you pay in terms of questionable reliability and slow response and playback.

post #7973 of 8617 Old 05-28-2011, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Upscaling in the 09 and 3800 is very, very good. But you pay in terms of questionable reliability and slow response and playback.
Ah..Ok. Thanks for your insight. I will look for new units of the 09 and 3800 but that may be easier said than done. All I see now is used ones and I imagine I could inherit someones else's problems.
What about the 05?
post #7974 of 8617 Old 05-29-2011, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Ah..Ok. Thanks for your insight. I will look for new units of the 09 and 3800 but that may be easier said than done. All I see now is used ones and I imagine I could inherit someones else's problems.
What about the 05?

I have an 05 and just sold an unused 51. I also had an 09. The only thing the 09 did better than the 05 or 51 was DVD upscaling and only by a very small margin; not worth the price difference IMO. You might look for a used Oppo 83.
post #7975 of 8617 Old 05-29-2011, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Just a little fyi, thebland doesn't and never has owned an 09FD.
post #7976 of 8617 Old 05-29-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

dreaux,

There is a possibility that the grain is supposed to be there. Also, the 93 in its current state is second to none in my opinion. However, you or someone else may have a preference for something else. Also, why are you looking for dated technology; especially DVD playback. IMO you will be paying for diminishing returns if any difference actually exists.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #7977 of 8617 Old 05-29-2011, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

dreaux,

There is a possibility that the grain is supposed to be there. Also, the 93 in its current state is second to none in my opinion. However, you or someone else may have a preference for something else. Also, why are you looking for dated technology; especially DVD playback. IMO you will be paying for diminishing returns if any difference actually exists.

Willie

I was under the impression that the older High end DVD/Blu-ray players (Denon 3800ci, Pioneer 09, Denon 5910ci) did a better job on upconverting SD DVD's, and looked better than the mid-range Blu-ray/DVD players of today in that upscaling process.
post #7978 of 8617 Old 05-29-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

I was under the impression that the older High end DVD/Blu-ray players (Denon 3800ci, Pioneer 09, Denon 5910ci) did a better job on upconverting SD DVD's, and looked better than the mid-range Blu-ray/DVD players of today in that upscaling process.

I briefly owned the Denon 3800, which I believe to have the same video processor as the 5910CI and I've heard very positive things about the Pioneer's DVD playback. During my brief ownership of the Denon I preferred my Oppo BDP-83 for DVD playback. There were other owners with both transports on either side of this fence. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer and your eyes will dictate your preference as you go through this process. The transports you mentioned are probably some of the better performers when it comes to DVD playback. However, in 2011 I personally would not purchase any of them based solely on their DVD performance unless they were in the sub $400 price range at which point you are probably looking at used and all the uncertainty that accompanies such a purchase.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #7979 of 8617 Old 05-29-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

They are good. But upscaling has been pretty well mastered in today's better players. If it is that important, buy a Lumagen Radiance - I've owned one and it smokes all players. But at $5K, it had better. Look at the Oppo 95 or 93, get a professional Cali ration and set ip and you'll never look back. The problem with the older players is unplayable discs, drive failures and very, very slow. Buy at your own risk. It may last a month or a year or two. They're just too dated to recommend unless you pay around $300.

post #7980 of 8617 Old 05-29-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you guys, I think you have cleared up some misconceptions I may have had.
If I still want to buy any older player in the high-end, it will have to be in the price range that you mention....that is if I want to gamble.
One older player that can be bought quite cheaply is the Toshiba HD XA2 that has a great rep for up converting SD DVD's.
But after reading your posts I think I am chasing after something that may not be there.
Thanks for your insights.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Pioneer , Blu Ray Players , Sony , Pioneer Bdp 09fd Elite Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page