3Likes

post #8131 of 8630 Old 10-17-2011, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
So, my 09 has crapped out.

As stated by others here, the symptoms start with a lot of noise during the loading process and then Can't Play Disc or UNKNOWNDISC appears on the display. It happened with some rental discs at first but now it's happening with almost everything.

My warranty expired in April but since I purchased it with my Amex card I have another year of coverage. I have to send the unit to Pioneer for an estimate and then send that info to Amex for credit.

Anyone deal with repairs with an extended credit card warranty? Anything I should be aware of during this process?

Very upset with this situation. Sometimes you pay for what you get but in this situation I feel cheated. This was a premier player priced accordingly but it certainly has not lived up to expectations. And I am not a daily user or abuser of it. I probably watch, on the average, about 6 movies a month. So it really hasn't been used that much. It's in a well ventilated area yadda yadda

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8132 of 8630 Old 10-17-2011, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

As stated by others here, the symptoms start with a lot of noise during the loading process and then Can't Play Disc or UNKNOWNDISC appears on the display. It happened with some rental discs at first but now it's happening with almost everything.

My warranty expired in April but since I purchased it with my Amex card I have another year of coverage. I have to send the unit to Pioneer for an estimate and then send that info to Amex for credit.

Anyone deal with repairs with an extended credit card warranty? Anything I should be aware of during this process?

Very upset with this situation. Sometimes you pay for what you get but in this situation I feel cheated. This was a premier player priced accordingly but it certainly has not lived up to expectations. And I am not a daily user or abuser of it. I probably watch, on the average, about 6 movies a month. So it really hasn't been used that much. It's in a well ventilated area yadda yadda

I'm sorry to hear about this. I don't have experience with extended warranties on credit cards (I haven't needed to use one so far) but I'd think AMEX would do right by you, as they're supposed to be known for customer service. Keep us posted.
post #8133 of 8630 Old 10-17-2011, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

I'm sorry to hear about this.... Keep us posted.

Thanks, I will.

Larry

post #8134 of 8630 Old 10-30-2011, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogney Baux View Post

I got a phone call from my Visa credit card's "Warranty Manager Service". They told me that I should expect a check for the full amount of the repair ($352) thanks to the one year extension of Pioneers 2 year warranty.

As a clarification for others, only the Visa Signature brand will have a 1yr extended warranty, up to a manf warranty of 3yrs. Most cards are 1yr extended, up to a manf warranty of 1yr.
post #8135 of 8630 Old 10-30-2011, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ok2me View Post

As a clarification for others, only the Visa Signature brand will have a 1yr extended warranty, up to a manf warranty of 3yrs. Most cards are 1yr extended, up to a manf warranty of 1yr.

I don't think that's correct: all extended warranty services double the period of repair service up to a max of 1 additional year for US warranties of 3 years or less. The Signature cards, however, are the only Visa cards that offer the option to purchase a Performance Guarantee, which extends the warranty to up to 5 years from date of purchase.

"I am determined to be cheerful & happy in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions & not upon our circumstances."
Martha Washington
post #8136 of 8630 Old 10-30-2011, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ok2me View Post

I don't think that's correct: all extended warranty services double the period of repair service up to a max of 1 additional year for US warranties of 3 years or less. The Signature cards, however, are the only Visa cards that offer the option to purchase a Performance Guarantee, which extends the warranty to up to 5 years from date of purchase.

I'm betting 100% sure as the language is clear. Also, I've tried with MasterCard on an item with a 2yr warranty. My item was not qualified for the MasterCard extended warranty. MasterCard qualifies an item 1 additional year of coverage only if the item has a 1yr mfg warranty, no longer. If the mfg warranty is > 1yr, there is no extended warranty coverage.

Double the coverage refers to MasterCard offering a 1 yr extended warranty, only if the item has a 1yr mfg warranty (1yr mfg + 1 ext = 2 yrs). It's a little deceptive.

With Visa Signature, the mfg warranty must be 3yr or less. Visa will extended it 1 additional yr.

Therefore, MasterCard will not offer a 1 yr extended warranty on a Pioneer Elite 2yr warranty. But, Visa Signature will.
post #8137 of 8630 Old 11-15-2011, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any update?
post #8138 of 8630 Old 11-17-2011, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any update?

Sorry, I missed the email alert for your message on this thread.

Yes, I just got an update.

I finally packed up the unit safely in a double box and sent it to California a couple of weeks ago. They got it on the 10th and emailed me yesterday that they had an estimate for the repair.

I called them today and they said it is about $400 and change to replace the drive minus the $75 I already had to send them for the evaluation (I imagine if you're still under warranty this would not apply).

I told them I need the estimate emailed to me ASAP so I can give it to Amex for approval for my extended warranty. I should get that estimate today or tomorrow and then I will deal with Amex. Regardless, I will call Pioneer tomorrow and get it going even if I have to pay for it without Amex approval but I don't foresee any problems with Amex. I'm confident that it will be ok. I will keep you posted.

Larry

post #8139 of 8630 Old 11-18-2011, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I finally packed up the unit safely in a double box and sent it to California a couple of weeks ago. They got it on the 10th and emailed me yesterday that they had an estimate for the repair.

I called them today and they said it is about $400 and change to replace the drive minus the $75 I already had to send them for the evaluation (I imagine if you're still under warranty this would not apply).

I told them I need the estimate emailed to me ASAP so I can give it to Amex for approval for my extended warranty. I should get that estimate today or tomorrow and then I will deal with Amex. Regardless, I will call Pioneer tomorrow and get it going even if I have to pay for it without Amex approval but I don't foresee any problems with Amex. I'm confident that it will be ok. I will keep you posted.

Ok. I think it's worth it to repair the unit at least once, all things considered. When working, it's still a very good player, especially with its dynamite analog section.
post #8140 of 8630 Old 11-18-2011, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I would not have blinked if I had to pay $400 for my BDP-09FD to be repaired. This player is such an integral part of my HT, anything that extends the life of my VSX-59TXi receiver is worth it. I would have even paid the $1100 for the drive and main assembly board if I had to. However... I would have worked my way up the Pioneer food chain presenting my case for them to repair it under warranty......

Fred
post #8141 of 8630 Old 11-18-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfred View Post

i would not have blinked if i had to pay $400 for my bdp-09fd to be repaired. This player is such an integral part of my ht, anything that extends the life of my vsx-59txi receiver is worth it. I would have even paid the $1100 for the drive and main assembly board if i had to. However... I would have worked my way up the pioneer food chain presenting my case for them to repair it under warranty......

Fred

amen
post #8142 of 8630 Old 11-18-2011, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I would repair it as well. The days of Pioneer making quality players with good features have passed. The 09FD is now a collector's piece. I would use it for everything then just use a cost effective player for 3D like a panny. That 09FD represents good quality and what used to be good service. Savor it.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #8143 of 8630 Old 11-19-2011, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I would repair it as well. The days of Pioneer making quality players with good features have passed. The 09FD is now a collector's piece. I would use it for everything then just use a cost effective player for 3D like a panny. That 09FD represents good quality and what used to be good service. Savor it.

I hadn't thought of it that way, but you present an interesting perspective. I think of my Elite DVL-91 combi-player as more of a "collector's piece" than the 09, since combi-players aren't made any more, unlike BD players. Still, I would lament my 09's demise if it comes to that, and I do consider it unique.
post #8144 of 8630 Old 11-19-2011, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:

I think of my Elite DVL-91 combi-player as more of a "collector's piece"

I also have one of those several weeks ago, wife was away & I dug out an old scifi laserdisc I hadn't watched in many yrs, maybe 10+! Although it was nice to revisit an old friend, it made me appreciate the hi-rez formats we have today

This was an old LD too, CX audio & analog video. Pleased there was no rot but it didn't look that good blown up on a 60" kuro Still it was way better than VHS, which are about unwatchable now

I have way too many LD's still left to get rid of the player, besides I still like the old rosewood wood trim. Classic Elite look from their glory days.

Steve
post #8145 of 8630 Old 11-19-2011, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

I also have one of those several weeks ago, wife was away & I dug out an old scifi laserdisc I hadn't watched in many yrs, maybe 10+! Although it was nice to revisit an old friend, it made me appreciate the hi-rez formats we have today

This was an old LD too, CX audio & analog video. Pleased there was no rot but it didn't look that good blown up on a 60" kuro Still it was way better than VHS, which are about unwatchable now

I have way too many LD's still left to get rid of the player, besides I still like the old rosewood wood trim. Classic Elite look from their glory days.

And it sounds good, too. Something in common with my 09.
post #8146 of 8630 Old 12-06-2011, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Any update?

I'm happy to report that the UPS man just dropped off my repaired BD09. I hooked it up and all's well. I fired up my Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's BD, my favorite, and it's as good as new.

The entire process took about a month door to door. They replaced the drive assembly. Dealing with Pioneer was very quick and efficient. The extended warranty process with Amex was fantastic. They credited my card the full amount ($401) before I even paid Pioneer.

For the past few weeks I've been debating picking up another BD player for another room. I was deciding between the Oppo 93 and a PS3. If I go with the Oppo then the BD09 will be retired to the other room. If I go with the PS3 then I'll keep the 09 in its place and put the PS3 in the other room since that's where games would be played.

I'm still annoyed that this thing crapped out and I would love to have a faster unit with more versatilitySACD etc. Not sure what I'm going to do especially since money is tight right now but I do need another BD player.

Now to go on line and reactivate my Blockbuster account.

Larry

post #8147 of 8630 Old 12-07-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm happy to report that the UPS man just dropped off my repaired BD09. I hooked it up and all's well. I fired up my Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's BD, my favorite, and it's as good as new.

The entire process took about a month door to door. They replaced the drive assembly. Dealing with Pioneer was very quick and efficient. The extended warranty process with Amex was fantastic. They credited my card the full amount ($401) before I even paid Pioneer.

For the past few weeks I've been debating picking up another BD player for another room. I was deciding between the Oppo 93 and a PS3. If I go with the Oppo then the BD09 will be retired to the other room. If I go with the PS3 then I'll keep the 09 in its place and put the PS3 in the other room since that's where games would be played.

I'm still annoyed that this thing crapped out and I would love to have a faster unit with more versatilitySACD etc. Not sure what I'm going to do especially since money is tight right now but I do need another BD player.

Good to hear things worked out. If the other room is for gaming, you do a lot of it, and you can swing only one player, then the PS3 seems the choice. But I would think a dedicated BD player would do better as far as sound quality, plus I doubt the PS3's upscaling abilities with DVD (assuming you have any).

Decisions.
post #8148 of 8630 Old 12-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Good to hear things worked out. If the other room is for gaming, you do a lot of it, and you can swing only one player, then the PS3 seems the choice. But I would think a dedicated BD player would do better as far as sound quality, plus I doubt the PS3's upscaling abilities with DVD (assuming you have any).

Decisions.

Quote:

I love my 09 I have been very lucky no issues. I just purchased a Sony BDPS-5000ES at a great price. Its my back up..
post #8149 of 8630 Old 12-14-2011, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

One regret I have is losing my 09 in the war...

post #8150 of 8630 Old 12-17-2011, 09:11 AM

Does anyone know if iControlAV2 will be updated to allow compatibility with the BDP-09FD?
post #8151 of 8630 Old 12-18-2011, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD MAN View Post

I love my 09 I have been very lucky no issues. I just purchased a Sony BDPS-5000ES at a great price. Its my back up..

Still looking for one of those...

post #8152 of 8630 Old 12-26-2011, 12:27 PM

For Joerod or anyone else using the analog audio output of the 09:

1. I'm currently running the analog audio out of the 09 and into the Multi-Channel input of a Pio SC-57. One of the options the SC-57 offers is increasing the subwoofer gain by 10db. Aside from issues of personal preference regarding more or less bass, do you see any advantage from goosing up the SW db this way? I'm wondering if it is intended to make up for something hdmi audio provides.

2. After I connected the analog outs from the 09, the volume range through the SC-57 narrowed considerably. Now, I'm not getting audible sound until I'm at 20db. Is this normal?

Any insights appreciated.

Joe
post #8153 of 8630 Old 12-27-2011, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
After I updated FW 2.7 via LAN and it took many months to power it on again,My bdp LX 91 shows Can't play/unknown disc in every single blu-ray discs(Iron Man till The Help) inserted in but it can play cd and DVD.What should I do?sinc its box was gone and my living town is far away from service center.Thank in advance.
post #8154 of 8630 Old 12-27-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by butsu View Post

After I updated FW 2.7 via LAN and it took many months to power it on again,My bdp LX 91 shows Can't play/unknown disc in every single blu-ray discs(Iron Man till The Help) inserted in but it can play cd and DVD.What should I do?sinc its box was gone and my living town is far away from service center.Thank in advance.

Here are a couple of things you can try:

1. Try updating your player again with the latest firmware.

2. Do a hard reset on it.

If those don't work, you most likely have a laser failure and will need to ship it in for servicing.
post #8155 of 8630 Old 12-27-2011, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiojoe View Post

For Joerod or anyone else using the analog audio output of the 09:

1. I'm currently running the analog audio out of the 09 and into the Multi-Channel input of a Pio SC-57. One of the options the SC-57 offers is increasing the subwoofer gain by 10db. Aside from issues of personal preference regarding more or less bass, do you see any advantage from goosing up the SW db this way? I'm wondering if it is intended to make up for something hdmi audio provides.

2. After I connected the analog outs from the 09, the volume range through the SC-57 narrowed considerably. Now, I'm not getting audible sound until I'm at 20db. Is this normal?

Any insights appreciated.

Joe

1. If you are using the analog section, you will need to boost the SW channel by +10db either on the receiver or on the player. I make the change on the player by setting the SW to +6db and all other channels to -4db.

2. Usually when using the analog section, the volume is normally a little lower than using HDMI. Not sure why.
post #8156 of 8630 Old 01-19-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Recently I've been rediscovering Reboot, the 90's computer-generated animated TV show (and the first TV show to be entirely computer generated). Some of the later episodes are recorded in Dolby Stereo Surround, and at times it's as if I had a multichannel system going. The sound is great, with some effects happening beyond the speakers and is nice and clean. I don't know how much decoding the 09 has to do with these mixes, but it's certainly a fun experience to hear them.

Does anyone else here have experience with stereo surround mixes?
post #8157 of 8630 Old 01-28-2012, 12:03 AM

I bought my 09FD around a year ago, but haven't used it much, as I only recently started adding components to my HT. I am now afraid that these read disc failures will start to happen to me eventually as well. =( And, as infrequently as I sit down to actually watch a blu-ray movie, I'm afraid my warranty will have expired if/when problems do occur. I'd rather not send it in for repairs until there is actually a problem, but a few months from now, or even a year down the line, who knows if Pioneer will even have the replacement parts necessary to fix the issue. It is kind of upsetting that this should even be happening in a $ 2k player.

On a different/slightly unrelated note, those of you that are using the analog outputs, can anyone recommend some decent cables? Also, is there a 09FD thread that has to do with connection types? I'd love to see some pics from people using the analog audio outs.
post #8158 of 8630 Old 01-28-2012, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckRaven View Post

I bought my 09FD around a year ago, but haven't used it much, as I only recently started adding components to my HT. I am now afraid that these read disc failures will start to happen to me eventually as well. =( And, as infrequently as I sit down to actually watch a blu-ray movie, I'm afraid my warranty will have expired if/when problems do occur. I'd rather not send it in for repairs until there is actually a problem, but a few months from now, or even a year down the line, who knows if Pioneer will even have the replacement parts necessary to fix the issue. It is kind of upsetting that this should even be happening in a $ 2k player.

On a different/slightly unrelated note, those of you that are using the analog outputs, can anyone recommend some decent cables? Also, is there a 09FD thread that has to do with connection types? I'd love to see some pics from people using the analog audio outs.

While at this point it may be meaningless to say, I've had my 09 for almost 3 years with no problems. There was one BD it wouldn't play properly 2 years ago (Battle for Terra, a CG movie), but I re-inserted it and all was fine.

I don't know of a thread regarding 09 connections, but my setup is traditional stereo with separate preamp and power amps. I'm using Audioquest Black Mamba II interconnects on my 09 from the front L and R outputs. They are not that expensive, even with a price increase since I bought mine (the current MSRP is $130 for a 2-meter pair). And I have no complaints about the sound I get.
post #8159 of 8630 Old 01-28-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm afraid my warranty will have expired if/when problems do occur.

..those of you that are using the analog outputs, can anyone recommend some decent cables? Also, is there a 09FD thread that has to do with connection types? I'd love to see some pics from people using the analog audio outs.

I wouldn't worry about it but keep in mind when your warranty is due and check to see if you have an extended warranty with your credit card (if you purchased with one). At the first sign of can't play disc I would contact pio and get the wheels in motion.

I realize that this thread is long but if you go back a bit there are some posts here that will help answer your analog questions. Regarding cables, Monoprice is the go to source here on AVS for affordable top quality but shop around and compare.

Larry

post #8160 of 8630 Old 01-28-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On a different/slightly unrelated note, those of you that are using the analog outputs, can anyone recommend some decent cables?

I spent a lot of time auditioning quite a few interconnects; by far the best was the Audience Au24e.

"I am determined to be cheerful & happy in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions & not upon our circumstances."
Martha Washington
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Pioneer , Blu Ray Players , Sony , Pioneer Bdp 09fd Elite Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page