post #811 of 8597 Old 02-06-2009, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMan34 View Post

I agree, especially when the only source so far has been an article from PC World!

Unfortunately it's been posted in quite a few of the news services now.

Clark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 8597 Old 02-06-2009, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Here is the latest update. I think this puts things at Pioneer in a little more prospective.

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssC...13864720090207
post #813 of 8597 Old 02-06-2009, 09:04 PM

Liked: 10
Has anyone successfully downloaded a firmware update for the 09 over the built-in ethernet connection on the player? When I initially got the player it was at 2.15. The software update function of the setup menu saw that there was a 2.24 update available for the player, but it was unable to download the update (this was before 2.24 even showed up on the Pioneer website). I manually downloaded and installed the update via CD. Now with 2.34 out there, the player doesn't even see that there is an update available, so once again I've downloaded it manually and as I type this, the player is updating from a CD.

Has anyone gotten an update to work without burning a CD?
post #814 of 8597 Old 02-06-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplitkins View Post

Has anyone successfully downloaded a firmware update for the 09 over the built-in ethernet connection on the player? When I initially got the player it was at 2.15. The software update function of the setup menu saw that there was a 2.24 update available for the player, but it was unable to download the update (this was before 2.24 even showed up on the Pioneer website). I manually downloaded and installed the update via CD. Now with 2.34 out there, the player doesn't even see that there is an update available, so once again I've downloaded it manually and as I type this, the player is updating from a CD.

Has anyone gotten an update to work without burning a CD?

Yes, updated to 2.24 over my network connection but has not seen 2.34 yet.
post #815 of 8597 Old 02-06-2009, 10:31 PM

I will not begin to touch one until things shake out. After reading the OFFICIAL release, things don't sound promising with the exception of a possible spin-off of the DVD division to form a new company. With the market the way it is today, companies that were once thought to be rock solid are folding up shop. There is too much left uncertain at this point to spend that kind of money on it.

Personally, I know how things go when a company is bought, changes hands, split off, etc. and things are never the same. The transition time is really bad because usually everyone that knows anything or was a high paid employee has long gone on to find other work. I know that D&M holdings was bought recently and my dealer will no longer carry them because of their poor service and support. They expect the quality of Marantz to slip big time in coming years if they survive long enough, as they may merge into one company. I'm not saying that's the case here with Pioneer, but it could happen and they could even be gone completely.

Spending $2K on something that may not be supported or at the very lest a future in question, is not what most people will do with their money. Bottom line is money is tight for everyone in this market and unless some solid and valid information develops in the next 6 months about how they will handle all this, including the DVD division of Pioneer, I will be steering clear.
post #816 of 8597 Old 02-07-2009, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuruJeff View Post

I will not begin to touch one until things shake out. After reading the OFFICIAL release, things don't sound promising with the exception of a possible spin-off of the DVD division to form a new company. With the market the way it is today, companies that were once thought to be rock solid are folding up shop. There is too much left uncertain at this point to spend that kind of money on it.

Personally, I know how things go when a company is bought, changes hands, split off, etc. and things are never the same. The transition time is really bad because usually everyone that knows anything or was a high paid employee has long gone on to find other work. I know that D&M holdings was bought recently and my dealer will no longer carry them because of their poor service and support. They expect the quality of Marantz to slip big time in coming years if they survive long enough, as they may merge into one company. I'm not saying that's the case here with Pioneer, but it could happen and they could even be gone completely.

Spending $2K on something that may not be supported or at the very lest a future in question, is not what most people will do with their money. Bottom line is money is tight for everyone in this market and unless some solid and valid information develops in the next 6 months about how they will handle all this, including the DVD division of Pioneer, I will be steering clear.

it still looks nothing is "official" yet, as to what they are exactly going to do. They still may build TVs, just not in house, which was what was posted a few months ago with their supposed joint benture with Panasonic. As far as their BD players, I would assume that they will continue to make them, them might be as well built in conjunction with another company, like Sharp has been rumored.

Go Celtics!
post #817 of 8597 Old 02-07-2009, 06:37 AM

This is great news!....Can't wait to grab an 09 for dirt!...
post #818 of 8597 Old 02-07-2009, 06:37 AM

Here is Pioneers official press release. I wouldn't be to concerned unless you had your heart on a new karaoke machine.
http://pioneer.jp/press-e/
post #819 of 8597 Old 02-07-2009, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbys house View Post

Here is Pioneers official press release. I wouldn't be to concerned unless you had your heart on a new karaoke machine.
http://pioneer.jp/press-e/

Don't see it at your link.

I think many will certainly weigh this.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #820 of 8597 Old 02-07-2009, 06:54 AM

Pioneer Announces End of LaserDisc Player Products

January 14, 2009, Tokyo, Japan - Pioneer Corporation today announces that it will cease to manufacture its LaserDisc (LD) players upon completing the production of a total of approximately 3,000 more players.

In 1980, Pioneer introduced its first consumer LD player (VP-1000) in the U.S. market, followed by the Japanese market in 1981 and other markets accordingly. The company has seen worldwide sales of its LD players reach more than 9.5 million units to date in a market that saw worldwide sales top 16.8 million devices. It has contributed to the audiovisual enjoyment of so many consumers all over the world. However, under the market environment in which new media such as DVD and Blu-ray discs now dominate, it has become difficult for Pioneer to procure the parts required to produce LD players. Consequently Pioneer has been forced to terminate production of its LD products.

The final models produced by Pioneer are the DVL-919 (DVD/LD compatible player), CLD-R5 (LD/CD player), DVK-900 (DVD/LD karaoke system), and DVL-K88 (DVD/LD compatible karaoke player).

As for repair services, Pioneer will maintain the spare parts required to restore the normal functions of Pioneer LD players during the minimum storage period.
post #821 of 8597 Old 02-07-2009, 06:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:

Pioneer Announces End of LaserDisc Player Products

January 14, 2009, Tokyo, Japan - Pioneer Corporation today announces that it will cease to manufacture its LaserDisc (LD) players upon completing the production of a total of approximately 3,000 more players.

In 1980, Pioneer introduced its first consumer LD player (VP-1000) in the U.S. market, followed by the Japanese market in 1981 and other markets accordingly. The company has seen worldwide sales of its LD players reach more than 9.5 million units to date in a market that saw worldwide sales top 16.8 million devices. It has contributed to the audiovisual enjoyment of so many consumers all over the world. However, under the market environment in which new media such as DVD and Blu-ray discs now dominate, it has become difficult for Pioneer to procure the parts required to produce LD players. Consequently Pioneer has been forced to terminate production of its LD products.

The final models produced by Pioneer are the DVL-919 (DVD/LD compatible player), CLD-R5 (LD/CD player), DVK-900 (DVD/LD karaoke system), and DVL-K88 (DVD/LD compatible karaoke player).

As for repair services, Pioneer will maintain the spare parts required to restore the normal functions of Pioneer LD players during the minimum storage period.

Abby... Laser Disc was a 30 year old technology long discontinued by manufacturers. I owned Pioneers last dedicated Elite Laser player - I bought it 10 years ago. This is completely unrelated to Blu Ray.

You are obviously new to digital? What are you liking about the 09?? Nice to have a few females around here.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #822 of 8597 Old 02-07-2009, 07:05 AM

I was interested in pioneers future plans on all products. And this is the only info I was able to find on the rumors of dvd and bp players.
I didn't mean to start a war with you I was only trying to provide a link to Pioneers press page.
I do believe a lot of rumors get started from this type of information.
post #823 of 8597 Old 02-07-2009, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I was interested in pioneers future plans on all products. And this is the only info I was able to find on the rumors of dvd and bp players.
I didn't mean to start a war with you I was only trying to provide a link to Pioneers press page.
I do believe a lot of rumors get started from this type of information.

What's telling so far is what Pioneer is NOT saying. Their silence on this subject speaks volumes. If this entire subject were just FUD and BS...obviously it would be in their best interest to shoot it down and they have not done so at least as far as the "leaving TV" item goes.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1117484

This is the "main discussion thread" for this. In there you'll see everything from CNET to Dow Jones and unfortunately, ne'er a peep officially from Pioneer yet.

That thread is huge!

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/02/06...ff-dvd-busine/

There's some more. It's going to be interesting to see exactly what "spinning off DVD business" really means and if that includes BD or not. Somehow I'm suspecting it is but obviously no one knows for sure yet on the outside.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #824 of 8597 Old 02-07-2009, 07:48 AM

Yes you are right, I have read that thread and it doesn't look good. The link I provided has lots of information.
post #825 of 8597 Old 02-07-2009, 08:30 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMan34 View Post

I agree, especially when the only source so far has been an article from PC World!

You know that old saying "Where there's smoke there is fire"
post #826 of 8597 Old 02-07-2009, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

With all respect, I imagine Walkamo is dusting off and up-dating his resume.

I don't think he needs to. I can see Chris moving over to Denon (seriously)
post #827 of 8597 Old 02-07-2009, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Here is the latest update. I think this puts things at Pioneer in a little more prospective.

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssC...13864720090207

They are also withdrawing from the DVD market.
post #828 of 8597 Old 02-07-2009, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow... I just ordered the 09 Blu-ray player. I realize hard business decisions have to be made and there will be more casualties, but this Pioneer news is somewhat of a kick in the gut. I love their gear.
post #829 of 8597 Old 02-07-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken ross View Post

they are also withdrawing from the dvd market.

with the new generation bd/dvd/cd players coming out at lower costs in april, would it be smart to continue dvd/cd only players? Looks to me that dvd has gone the way of 8 track or will be shortly. Until bd get's beat out with newer tech we should see all manuf.'s stopping production of dvd players.
post #830 of 8597 Old 02-07-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:

emailtim! Please report a comparison with your dv-59avi against your 09fd I have the same unit and love it, but I am looking to move to blueray
Thanks.

So far I like it. I am using digital coax for audio (Denon receiver is pre-HDMI) and HDMI for video straight to the 141FD. Audio levels seem much higher including bass. I have not changed any settings, just swapped out the units.

I watched Fool's Gold on Blu-Ray and King Kong on DVD last night.

It did a great job of upscaling the King Kong DVD, better than my 59AVi. The Computer Generated Graphics images are razor sharp. You can see every strand of King Kong's hair blowing in the breeze in contrast to the videos of the beauty. At times you see the video footages as grainy film, but the CGI's are spot on. The bug scenes make your skin crawl with such detail.

The 09FD also seems to make the scenes deeper. The foreground actors are separated further from their backgrounds.

I am currently watching DOOM on Blu-Ray but was not able to get the BD-Live working. I tried updating the software over the network, but it isn't downloading the software. I will try again after Doom is over. The server may require registration before allowing software downloads so I just registered it.

Will post more as I discover it.

Since the network update didn't have the latest version, I downloaded it from the support site, burnt an ISO image on CD and updated to 2.34 using the CD ROM. It took about 20+ minutes to flash the BDP-09FD to 2.34 from 2.15.

Tim

----------------------------------------
Home Theater Room - Work In Progress
----------------------------------------
post #831 of 8597 Old 02-07-2009, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Most new dvd players retail for well under $100.00. I can see why pulling the plug on that market may be a wise business decision. Moving forward with a vast line of BD players only makes logical sense.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #832 of 8597 Old 02-07-2009, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
What do you think the impact will be on the future pricing of the 09 with the latest news coming from Pioneer?
post #833 of 8597 Old 02-07-2009, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Most new dvd players retail for well under $100.00. I can see why pulling the plug on that market may be a wise business decision. Moving forward with a vast line of BD players only makes logical sense.

I'm pretty sure if Pioneer is making a decision to spin off DVD that would include Bluray players as well.
post #834 of 8597 Old 02-07-2009, 11:03 AM

From what I have been told and can piece together Pioneer is considering discontinuing the PDP production. No final decision is available at this time as they are in the final stages of making a decision on what to do.

However, this will have no effect whatsoever on Pioneer and Pioneer Elite branded BD or receiver business. SD DVDs will continue with a joint venture with Sharp Electronics.

Also carefully read the next to last sentence "The company plans to eliminate several thousand of its roughly 40,000 groupwide jobs in the year ending March 2010." How can a company completely close down its largest of three product categories and just reduce the workforce by less than 10%. Some of the information is just not right here.

Let's wait to see what Pioneer says before suggesting more wild and unfounded speculation.

-Robert
post #835 of 8597 Old 02-07-2009, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Here are some of my latest screen shots...

Madagascar 2 is fun for the family.
LL
LL
LL

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

post #836 of 8597 Old 02-07-2009, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Some nice wedding pics... Gotta love those monkeys and penguins...
LL
LL

post #837 of 8597 Old 02-07-2009, 03:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Nice Pics joerod

Terry
post #838 of 8597 Old 02-07-2009, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrollens View Post

What do you think the impact will be on the future pricing of the 09 with the latest news coming from Pioneer?

If you use the US automobile manufactures as a parallel example, sales drop off pretty fast and large discounts follow.

I think where the risk comes is buying one of the Pioneer's and not knowing if you will have firmware update support in the future. I think you can live with the feature sets on these machines. Not having DTS MA on the analogues is not the end of the world as they do bit-stream the codec. Even first generation BD players from Pioneer and other manufactures are requiring periodic firmware updates to deal with differences in the Java code authoring.

Where the problem is I think, is not knowing if the next BD disc you buy will play or not. If it doesn't play and no one (Pioneer or someone that will take over the legacy responsibility) is around to write a code patch to make it work, then you're now the proud owner of a rather expensive boat anchor.

On the other hand it's really no different than replacing a PC as it becomes outdated. I'm sure any void created by Pioneer leaving the market will be filled by another manufacture if blu-ray survives. Newer and better players will come to us at lower prices, maybe just not from Pioneer.
post #839 of 8597 Old 02-07-2009, 05:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

if blu-ray survives. .

It will survive.

Frank

post #840 of 8597 Old 02-07-2009, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

Let's wait to see what Pioneer says before suggesting more wild and unfounded speculation.

-Robert

+1

If you stand back and look at the dedicated thread about the Pioneer "news," you quickly see that about 98% of it is random (i.e. false) interpretation, personal opinions about their business model, and wild speculation. In fact, there is very little solid news yet. It looks like the real deal will come from the horses's mouth next week. Until then, there's little basis to most of this discussion.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Pioneer , Blu Ray Players , Sony , Pioneer Bdp 09fd Elite Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page