The Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD Owner's Thread... - Page 287 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8581 of 8597 Old 05-30-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jon S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 2,656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stone View Post

its available now and does not work I know that june 10th is the official release date

Maybe it will work after June 10th???

biggrin.gif

Actually, there's been a few recent Fox titles that my BDP-09FD does not work with... I don't remember what they were as I gave up using it and now use my Oppo BDP-95...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Jon S is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8582 of 8597 Old 06-03-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECS01 View Post

No problem, I'm using a Simaudio Supernova CD player right now for CD duty.

The downside of that is that it's a fairly expensive single-function box. And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the 09FD and the Oppo aren't good - they definitely are. In fact, for the money and with all the other formats they handle, they are probably the better overall deal.. However, for strictly CD use (IMHO and in my system), the Simaudio unit still clearly sounds better.

I did a brief, similar comparison between my 09 and McIntosh MCD301 SACD player a while back. I preferred the 301 overall, it captured more detail and was livelier, but on some of the material it was pretty close. I believe in dedicated functions when possible.
prepress is offline  
post #8583 of 8597 Old 06-03-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mgfred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Roseville, California
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I never used my CD player function of the BDP-09FD that much to begin with. However about a year after Pioneer replaced the drive in my player I did attempt a CD (My AV-59AVi was busy with a half watched DVD in it) and I got the cannot read disc error like I had before on my Blu-rays. Funny it never did that with the sick drive which only had BD problems. I prefer using the AV-59AVi to transport the CD audio to my VSX-59TXi via iLink anyway.

Fred
mgfred is offline  
post #8584 of 8597 Old 06-12-2014, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
whasaaaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Markham, Ontario Canada
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I messaged Pioneer Japan at hideaki_tsuchida@post.pioneer.co.jp I think he is one of the presidents cant remember. He or someone actually responded from his email


Basically asking if they can upgrade our current players to play 4K, 3D SACD etc... like Sony did with PlayStation. I said I would pay for the upgrade as long as its reasonable and I'm sure many more 09FD lovers would do the same
I am trying not to buy an OPPO etc.. it was the best bluray player even now not many can rival it looks like something is in the works or maybe not time will tell.


Dear Mr. Moniz


Thank you for your valuable input for our future product plan. I have shared your email with our Blu-ray product planning team.


Unfortunately we do not share upcoming product plans until they are announced by each regions business unit.


We appreciate your continued support of Pioneer products in the future


Best Regards


Pioneer Home Electronics Corp.

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back
(1) Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel
(2) Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides
(1) Paradigm Signature Sub25
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
whasaaaab is offline  
post #8585 of 8597 Old 06-13-2014, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bakerwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Peach State
Posts: 2,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by whasaaaab View Post
I messaged Pioneer Japan at hideaki_tsuchida@post.pioneer.co.jp I think he is one of the presidents cant remember. He or someone actually responded from his email


Basically asking if they can upgrade our current players to play 4K, 3D SACD etc... like Sony did with PlayStation. I said I would pay for the upgrade as long as its reasonable and I'm sure many more 09FD lovers would do the same
I am trying not to buy an OPPO etc.. it was the best bluray player even now not many can rival it looks like something is in the works or maybe not time will tell.


Dear Mr. Moniz


Thank you for your valuable input for our future product plan. I have shared your email with our Blu-ray product planning team.


Unfortunately we do not share upcoming product plans until they are announced by each regions business unit.


We appreciate your continued support of Pioneer products in the future


Best Regards


Pioneer Home Electronics Corp.

Technology moves on.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

bakerwi is offline  
post #8586 of 8597 Old 06-13-2014, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
whasaaaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Markham, Ontario Canada
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post
Technology moves on.
I would prefer to save $$$$$ then spend another $1500 on a blu-ray player

Until then mine works perfectly so until a player is the player to buy I will wait some more. OPPO will always be there and pioneer has the tech to make the best player again.

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back
(1) Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel
(2) Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides
(1) Paradigm Signature Sub25
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
whasaaaab is offline  
post #8587 of 8597 Old 06-13-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jon S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 2,656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by whasaaaab View Post
I messaged Pioneer Japan at hideaki_tsuchida@post.pioneer.co.jp I think he is one of the presidents cant remember. He or someone actually responded from his email


Basically asking if they can upgrade our current players to play 4K, 3D SACD etc... like Sony did with PlayStation. I said I would pay for the upgrade as long as its reasonable and I'm sure many more 09FD lovers would do the same
I am trying not to buy an OPPO etc.. it was the best bluray player even now not many can rival it looks like something is in the works or maybe not time will tell.
This has been posted again and again... You cannot upgrade a Blu-Ray player like the Pioneer BDP-09FD to 4K, SACD or 3D. The only reason why the Sony PlayStation 3 was able to do that is because the PS3 is basically a computer based on Motorola/IBM multi-core processor.. All Sony had to do was reprogram the processor with software to achieve those capabilities. Even with its processor, the PS3 cannot do everything because of some hardware limitations. The 3D capability is limited. Because Sony dropped some components, the PS3 lost SACD capability. The PS3 does not have the hardware for 4K playback.

The Pioneer is a hardware based design and the hardware would have to be completely replaced, i.e. you have to build a new player.

It's like saying you bought a Porsche Boxster and you want Porsche to upgrade it to a 911 Turbo... You gotta get the new car...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...

Last edited by Jon S; 06-13-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Jon S is offline  
post #8588 of 8597 Old 06-19-2014, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
whasaaaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Markham, Ontario Canada
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
This has been posted again and again... You cannot upgrade a Blu-Ray player like the Pioneer BDP-09FD to 4K, SACD or 3D. The only reason why the Sony PlayStation 3 was able to do that is because the PS3 is basically a computer based on Motorola/IBM multi-core processor.. All Sony had to do was reprogram the processor with software to achieve those capabilities. Even with its processor, the PS3 cannot do everything because of some hardware limitations. The 3D capability is limited. Because Sony dropped some components, the PS3 lost SACD capability. The PS3 does not have the hardware for 4K playback.

The Pioneer is a hardware based design and the hardware would have to be completely replaced, i.e. you have to build a new player.

It's like saying you bought a Porsche Boxster and you want Porsche to upgrade it to a 911 Turbo... You gotta get the new car...
just hoping

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back
(1) Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel
(2) Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides
(1) Paradigm Signature Sub25
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
whasaaaab is offline  
post #8589 of 8597 Old 06-19-2014, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LaoChe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by whasaaaab View Post
just hoping
My 09FD ability to play BDs just stopped functioning....again. I've already sent the unit to Pioneer before and it ain't happening again. Sucks because I loved the player.
LaoChe is online now  
post #8590 of 8597 Old 06-19-2014, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jon S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 2,656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The Pioneer BDP-09FD, BDP-05FD and BDP-51 all suffer from drive failures. Pioneer used optical drives that were designed for use in PCs. The big headache is that the drive is very expensive, now almost impossible to find and finally, has to be replaced by a Pioneer service center as the drive has to be "flashed" for every single player for it to work...

You'd be best buying a newer player. You get a faster load time, streaming capability, likely better audio and video if you buy an Oppo for half the price of the Pioneer.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Jon S is offline  
post #8591 of 8597 Old 06-20-2014, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
whasaaaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Markham, Ontario Canada
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoChe View Post
My 09FD ability to play BDs just stopped functioning....again. I've already sent the unit to Pioneer before and it ain't happening again. Sucks because I loved the player.
Thank God mine has not failed yet, I love this player as well, I have never had issues yet but I know it will come eventually.

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back
(1) Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel
(2) Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides
(1) Paradigm Signature Sub25
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...

Last edited by whasaaaab; 06-20-2014 at 02:26 PM.
whasaaaab is offline  
post #8592 of 8597 Old 06-20-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by whasaaaab View Post
Thank God one has not failed yet, I live this player as well, I have never had issues yet but I know it will come eventually.
Mine, too, is still functioning, now a bit over 5 years after purchase. I'd like to have it a while longer. But I do keep up with what's available, just in case.
whasaaaab likes this.
prepress is offline  
post #8593 of 8597 Old 06-20-2014, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
whasaaaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Markham, Ontario Canada
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
Mine, too, is still functioning, now a bit over 5 years after purchase. I'd like to have it a while longer. But I do keep up with what's available, just in case.
If mine fails then I will look at the oppo or something better

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back
(1) Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel
(2) Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides
(1) Paradigm Signature Sub25
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
whasaaaab is offline  
post #8594 of 8597 Old 06-20-2014, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
G-Rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 857
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My 09 also has worked great from day one with no laser/assembly replacement. Nice to know there are others out there that never failed.
whasaaaab likes this.
G-Rex is offline  
post #8595 of 8597 Old 06-20-2014, 03:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Gary16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
My 09 also has worked great from day one with no laser/assembly replacement. Nice to know there are others out there that never failed.
Mine too.
whasaaaab likes this.
Gary16 is offline  
post #8596 of 8597 Old 06-20-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LaoChe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by whasaaaab View Post
Thank God mine has not failed yet, I love this player as well, I have never had issues yet but I know it will come eventually.
That's what's so annoying, I wouldn't mind sending it to Pioneer to repair, but I know it will only be a temporary fix. I'm just using my 23FD for now. I don't want to buy another high end player with 4K around the corner.
LaoChe is online now  
post #8597 of 8597 Old 06-21-2014, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by whasaaaab View Post
If mine fails then I will look at the oppo or something better
My considerations are Cambridge Audio, Marantz, and (gulp) McIntosh.
prepress is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Pioneer , Blu Ray Players , Sony , Pioneer Bdp 09fd Elite Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off